JWM: how to increase size of submenu icons?

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
ASRI éducation

JWM: how to increase size of submenu icons?

#1 Post by ASRI éducation »

I use JWM and I want to increase the size of submenus icons.

My eyes are not as good as before.
Moreover, I am disappointed by the display quality of the icons displayed in the submenus.
I understood how to increase the text size. But, I do not know how to increase the size of the icons (offered by desktop files).
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Regards
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

solo

#2 Post by solo »

It's a ROX thing.

Go to an icon on your desktop with the cursor and right-click it. Then, in the menu that appears, go to ROX-filer, and then to Options.
In the window that appears, there is a list of items on the left. One of those items is called Menus.
Click on that.
Under the Appearance header, you can adjust the size of icons in menus.

Have a nice day! :)

Edit: Oops! Nope. Spoke before my turn. I tried this myself to see if there were any changes. So I changed the appearance to Large Icons, but nothing changed in the menus at all.
So I'm afraid it's a little more complicated.

oui

#3 Post by oui »

Hi

Oh Solo, I suppose that Asri didn't speak about the Desktop icons but about the little icons in the JWM menu invoqued by JWM itself!

As you see in my actual screenshot, I am using Rox and JWM in Kubuntu 14.10 :lol: (*1 .

If I don't use Rox, the background is black in JWM in Kubuntu (not in Debian Jessy: In Debian Jessy the beautiful new Debian Background picture for Debian 8.0 appears in JWM) also if I try to introduce a background picture in the .jwmrc using

<StartupCommand>
rox --pinboard=MyPinboard
</StartupCommand>

! Rox produces both background picture and Desktop icons. More! Rox produces icons for the hidden app's (see on top at the right border of the screen) beeing not necessary as JWM itself produces them in the bottom bar!

In the JWM menu I never use icons in Debian or Ubuntu as it is a terrible job to find them in /usr/share/icons/... and enter them in .jwmrc (to much time to do that). I think ASRI speeks about those little icons. I suppose he needs an extension of the MenuStyle in .jwmrc !

(*1 because I did not find the place in Debian Jessy or Kubuntu where Debian/Kunbuntu invoque the visualisation of the background picture for the window managers :x ! In Debian it seems to be the matter of the main system itself, in Kubuntu matter of KDE and don't to be present if you start an other window manager!
Attachments
roxbackground.jpg
(37.56 KiB) Downloaded 842 times
Last edited by oui on Wed 04 Feb 2015, 22:03, edited 2 times in total.

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

Doesn't that just adjust the ROX menu icon sizes Solo?

Here's first PART of my /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal file and in that you'll see some HEIGHT values being defined - which automatically scales up the menu icon sizes (see attached image)

The other place to look/edit is in /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc

Aferwards you'll need to open a terminal and run

fixmenus
and then
jwm -restart

for any changes to become apparent

Code: Select all

<!-- 
     Personally configurable options for JWM: these override (or add to) the 
     default settings and theme settings 
-->

<JWM>

<!-- Tray Task Insert -->
<TaskListStyle insert="right"/>

<!-- Number of virtual desktops -->
<Desktops width="2" height="1">
<!--
   <Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/bin/resHI</Background></Desktop>
   <Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/bin/resLO</Background></Desktop>
-->
</Desktops>

<!-- ############################################################################## -->

<RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="24" onroot="2">
   <Menu label="OFFICE" icon="/usr/share/mini-icons/mini-penguin.xpm" height="34">
      <Program label="FireFox" icon="firefox.png">defaultbrowser</Program>
      <Program label="Flash" icon="flash.png">loadprogs Flash</Program>
      <Program label="Libre" icon="libre.png">loadprogs Libre</Program>
      <Program label="Qt" icon="qt.png">loadprogs Qt</Program>
      <Program label="Skype4" icon="skype.png">loadprogs Skype4</Program>
      <Menu label="Multi-Media" icon="mm.png" height="20">
         <Program label="   Openshot - video edit" icon="">loadprogs openshot</Program>
         <Program label="   Audacity - sound edit" icon="">loadprogs audacity</Program>
         <Program label="   X Video Cap - record screen" icon="">loadprogs xvidcap</Program>
         <Program label="   inkscape - draw" icon="">loadprogs inkscape</Program>
         <Program label="   Blender - 3D animation" icon="">loadprogs blender</Program>
      </Menu>
   </Menu>
Personally I've relegated my main puppy menu to being accessible only via right clicking on the desktop and have replaced that with my own personal main menu (accessible via the bottom left menu button) as I find the main puppy menu somewhat crowded with a lot of things I use infrequently (cluttered). i.e. I changed /root/.jwmrc-tray to comment out the onroot 3 entry (normal puppy menu) and added a root 2 entry, where the onroot 2 menu content is defined in the above code example. The replacement root 2 menu can also be revealed by middle mouse button on the desktop

i.e. my .jwmrc-tray files looks something like

Code: Select all

<JWM>
	<Tray  autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="42" >
		<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
		<TrayButton label="" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/resources.png">root:2</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xvkbd.xpm">exec:/usr/bin/xvkbd</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/magnifier.png">exec:/usr/bin/xpaint -magnifier</TrayButton>
        	<TrayButton popup="" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/calc.png">exec:/usr/bin/galculator</TrayButton>		

<Pager/>
		<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList maxwidth="25"/>
		<Dock/>
		<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->
		<Swallow name="xload" width="48">
			xload -nolabel -bg "#DCDAD5" -fg red -hl white
		</Swallow>
		<Clock format="%H:%M %b %d">minixcal</Clock>
	</Tray>
</JWM>
I've also added a on screen keyboard so I can type with a mouse (xvkeybd) and a magnifier. Zoom page extension/addon is also a nice addition to firefox that I use regularly as you can zoom text only or zoom text and images by right clicking the menu entry, and scale up/down the size using the + and - menu choices either side of the menu entry
Attachments
menu.jpg
(23.49 KiB) Downloaded 842 times

solo

#5 Post by solo »

Ah! Yes! Thank you for clearing that up rufwoof.

I see it now. I have those height definitions in my .jwmrc file.

This is good to know.

TwoPuppies

Increase JWM submenu icons from 16pt to 24pt

#6 Post by TwoPuppies »

Hi all.

Have a look at this thread:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79056

It explains how to increase the icon size in the JWM submenus from the default size of 16pt to 24pt.

Aside from making it easier to read, this just looks better. Personally, I think this arrangement should be adopted as the Puppy Linux default.

Have fun.
[color=#006699]What you really need is two puppies:
Puppy Linux, and the sort with four legs and a tail.[/color]

TwoPuppies

#7 Post by TwoPuppies »

If you download this PET (from the forum thread in my post above) it will increase the size of the sub-menu icons automatically:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=88131

See the following for advice regarding the versions of Puppy Linux for which this is best suited:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 977#848977

While certainly not essential, for the most impressive results it is a good idea to substitute your own choice of dedicated 24pt icons after the Menu size conversion has been carried out (as has been done below).

The result looks like this:
[color=#006699]What you really need is two puppies:
Puppy Linux, and the sort with four legs and a tail.[/color]