EmSeeV2.3-Cafe-Edition.iso Two Sugars 27/1/15!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

EmSeeV2.3-Cafe-Edition.iso Two Sugars 27/1/15!

#1 Post by stemsee »

This is version 2.3: chrome is gone, librecad is added, teamviewer added, QQ gone (use webQQ instead), auslogics duplicate file finder is gone, GoogleDrive-get (by fredx181) added and modified by me, set to Pupli Repo (by puppus dogfellow), stemsee-remastering-suite (much improved). All partitions mounted at boot. Multi-boot menu iso for local drive 32bit or 64bit kernel.

upgraded bash, xsane (backends), yad, mtools, canon scanner drivers, printer drivers, ....too many to list
removed cups 1.7.4 added 1.4 by BK, initrd now configured to work with pupsaveconfig (by shinobar - included) which has a small design limitation!

Bluetooth now works after booting with savefile. Save to directory added to initrd. there was a bug in /etc/init.d/smb which added a file /devnull in root ... now fixed. ... this is its best incarnation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit 2/12/2014

EmSeeV2.3-Cafe-Edition (64bit kernel only) basic xz compression. @ 1.84gb, show/hide-icons-v1.2 = now with choose/add/remove icons. Multi-pins, set-by res, StemseeS-Remastering-Suite = added simultaneous savefiles!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments
EmSee-V2-3-Cafe-Edition-December'14-iso-links.gz
fake .gz . open as text.
(207 Bytes) Downloaded 437 times
capture21974.jpg
drag icons from linked /usr/share/applications
(32.09 KiB) Downloaded 1185 times
capture2959.jpg
iconified desktop
(33.02 KiB) Downloaded 1294 times
capture24548.jpg
iconless dektop
(19.93 KiB) Downloaded 1317 times
Last edited by stemsee on Tue 27 Jan 2015, 09:38, edited 22 times in total.

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

Since you did not specify it, what is the size of the ISO file?
I am downloading it now and it appears to be trying to continue downloading.
But it also seems to be stuck at 2.4 gigs. (complete edited afterward)
I will have to verify it with the md5 checksum and then burn a dvd.
Is there some place for more complete information on it?

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Downloaded, Opened a KVM and booted this to FirstRUN in about 40 seconds. Set the hostname and local settings in FirstRUN and all seems well.

Next, I created SAMBA share and shared files to-from LH64 host.

Nice...very nice!!! :DImage
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

OK. seems like a lot of work in this release.. any screen shots, is it 64 and 32 bit together or different downloads?

What makes this special? :wink:

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

In my case, dowloaded, burnt a DVD, and booted.
This is a Dell PC with 4gigs ram and an intel duel core processor.
The resolution was set to 1280x1024 for the desktop.
And I had to manually select the Connect icon to set up my network interface.
The desktop icons, many of them, were overlapped sometimes three in one spot.
I had to drag them around to get them and the associated icon text readable.
The boot process took about 40 seconds. But my DVD reader is somewhat slow so I was expecting longer than that.
I will have to check things out a little further before I continue.
But the icon overlap problem on getting to the desktop was not good.

Will check back in later.

smokey01

#6 Post by smokey01 »

A 2.4G distro in the Puppy Linux forums, you gotta be kidding.

I prefer functionality over size but 2.4G, really, what makes it so big.

Cheers

stemsee

#7 Post by stemsee »

@8-bit

The icon overlap problem occurs because puppypin is auto-selected according to resoution (a different puppypin for each resolution) however the supported resolutinos are 1024x768, 1366x768, 1440x900, 1650x1050, 1920x1080, 2560x1440, 3280x1920 ... as you see I didn't think about your particular resolution! open a terminal and type....

EDIT: just copy and paste this in terminal and press enter

Code: Select all

cp ~/my-applications/bin/1366 ~/my-applications/bin/1280
cp ~/Choices/ROX-Filer/1366 ~/Choices/ROX-Filer/1280	
sed -i 's/1366/1280/g' /root/my-applications/bin/1280
Then restart X .. . Now arrange the icons as you like,or use laptop tool and choose >screen>pan set the resolution you want to adjust (this doesn't change desktop resolution, it just gives you a virtual screen size of set resolution) and then you can test any puppypin by typing '1024' or '1366' or '1280' in terminal to view the icon positions and wallpaper (each res can have different wallpaper)

@Smokey,
in short big apps!! Openshot, LibreOffice (525mb), Ardour (200mb)r, xbmc, lots of media tools, and libraries (devx included 180mb) python 2.7 and 3.3, Firefox, tor-browser, wine with apps (600mb), gimp, blender, Google Earth, Bleachbit, synaptic, apt utilities, it is jam packed.

@Ted Dog
One iso with multi choice menu, 1. local drive 2. 32bit kernel 3. 64bit kernel
It is a live DVD with most apps you could want installed ready to use, no need to locate/copy/load/unload sfs or pet files ... but of course you can add to it or remove as desired. Also my remaster scripts and I included a script from fredx181 to download from google drive - the repo is puppus dogfellows pupli repo which has tons of goodies.[/code]
Last edited by stemsee on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 11:06, edited 3 times in total.

gcmartin

#8 Post by gcmartin »

Outstanding. Nothing is needed to be added for installation, as, so much is built-in to this distro, OOTB.

If anyone has Microsoft's Media Center on any PC, this is a nimble replacement doing everything any XP does and more!

You put so much work into the Remaster on the forum. I cannot think of anything to add to this distro.

About the only thing I can do is to save desktop customizations and maybe make a remaster of that.

Again, an excellent work of technological packaging by you, @StemSee. Thanks

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

P.S. For those who might overlook a key element in the magic that is provided in this distro: After booting it Live, open a terminal and run "free". Surprised :idea: So much functionality, is a responsive distro, with so little RAM impact. :wink:

Interesting :!:

stemsee

#10 Post by stemsee »

@smokey-01 you were right -
Your fears of oversize made me search hard I found a cache file of 700mb doing nothing whatever! Remastering again!

mavrothal

#11 Post by mavrothal »

Since you are remastering... It is sure impressive to have all these apps on the desktop but adjusting the PuppyPin for each possible resolution can be a pain.
Did you ever consider placing them in 3 (autohidden) application panels at the 3 sides of the screen and just leave the drives and "home" on the Desktop?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

gcmartin

New functionality apparent to users on EmSee's desktop

#12 Post by gcmartin »

NOT SPEAKING FOR @STEMSEE, but, I can see on one-hand why the desktop is appearing as it is: namely to try to put as much visual information about the contents of this distro as possible to any community user showing additional items NOT contain in any PUP heretofore.

This has both a good and a bad impact for the seasoned community user. The good, we see the functionality as we are required to tailor the desktop. The bad (for some), a busy desktop .

@Mavrothal offers a good idea. There are other approaches, as well, that can be brought to bear to address the desktop.

In concert with what @@Mavrothal offers, I wonder if there could be a "Desktop Colonization" icon that could/would be present after FirstRUN lands a user to the current "busy" desktop, which when clicked by the user would offer to drop the current desktop icons into a set of clickables which when clicked would expand into some subset of the current icons. (Yes, the Puppy Menu provides this from the menu point of view).

The use of a colonization approach, of course, will be met with objection(s),just as this current offering is being met. This is because we are accustomed to the Puppy desktop offering and view any changes from traditional, with reaction. Some will welcome it, others will not.

This is merely an idea. And, this idea DOES NOT MEAN that the present desktop is bad. But, the idea inspired by @Mavrothal might have a positive impact on community for this distro as well as those distros other developers would put forth having increased functionality over what has become traditional.

Just an idea which probably will need its own thread if it becomes a community development effort. :idea:

Scooby

#13 Post by Scooby »

Seemed like a fun thing to try but links in first post are already dead

Laie

#14 Post by Laie »

Scooby wrote:... but links in first post are already dead
Indeed.
What a pity!

stemsee

#15 Post by stemsee »

@Scooby and @ Laie

New iso uploading now. @1.94gb and a few fixes and additions to remastering suite. Tomorrow.

@Mavrothal and GCMartin

I may address that issue generally, but not specifically for this distro. Now I am going to clean up EmSeeV1 distro and re-release it, and then concentrate on V3.

steevieb

#16 Post by steevieb »

Will this detect SCSI drives, or even better, boot from them?
I have a server with two U320 drives which Slacko, and most other modern puppies, does not see.

smokey01

#17 Post by smokey01 »

stemsee wrote:@smokey-01 you were right -
Your fears of oversize made me search hard I found a cache file of 700mb doing nothing whatever! Remastering again!
Excellent. I will have a look when you re-upload it.

Thanks

stemsee

#18 Post by stemsee »

@stevieb
No! I didn't leave the true scsi drivers in. But try anyway as the latest stable kernel is included.

gcmartin

#19 Post by gcmartin »

On desktop after FirstRUN tailoring

stemsee

#20 Post by stemsee »

I found that gimp-2.8 has remnants of a previous version (only links) here is the sfs and pet with correct links (links only) 4kb
sfs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... sp=sharing

pet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... sp=sharing