Problem with Samsung M2070 multifunction device and Precise

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
ravensrest

Problem with Samsung M2070 multifunction device and Precise

#1 Post by ravensrest »

I recently bought a Samsung M2070 laser printer/scanner/copier. I installed it in Racy 55, but neither xsane nor Peasyscan would find it. Using the instructions in question S3 at: http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/scanning.html#3 I was able to get it working perfectly.

I then tried the same approach with Precise 571 directly out of the box and with two different save files. In every case the scanner is found and begins scanning when so instructed, but bombs out with a text box containing the error message
Error during read: Error during device i/o.
I am using a 2-core intel Pentium D running at 2.66 GHz and using a USB connection to the printer.

When I run in a terminal, no error messages are produced in the terminal.

Any ideas?
BS

Edit: Also works with Wary55 and has same problem with Tahrpup6.
Last edited by ravensrest on Mon 09 Feb 2015, 19:41, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

With Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04, and possibly other distributions, there have been scattered, inconsistent reports of problems with the USB subsystem. This is not specific to Samsung. In some cases, devices work when plugged into a USB 2.0 port but not a USB 3.0 port; in other cases, unplugging other USB devices may enable the scanner.
Try this?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ravensrest

#3 Post by ravensrest »

Yeah, bigpup, I read that at the url I cited above too. I then tried all the USB ports on my computer, and switched various devices on and off without any changes. Thanks for the suggestion though.
BS

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

The forum has an entire section devoted to Samsung Print/Scan. The drivers posted there support the M2070.

ravensrest

#5 Post by ravensrest »

Thank you so much, rcrsn51. I had installed the universal driver pack that came with the printer/scanner. Apparently it is not quite that universal. It seems to contain the same files as the one you provided except smfp-samsung.conf is simply called smfp.conf, and your sane-smfp.mo is 27 bits larger than the one from Samsung.

In any case, after I installed your pet, the scanner works perfectly from Wary55, Racy55, Tahrpup60, and Precise571.