Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Oct 2018, 09:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Security/Privacy
ublock
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
labbe5

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb 2015, 15:06    Post subject:  ublock
Subject description: uBlock being superior to Adblock Plus with less CPU usage and memory

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock/

Ever on the alert to find new apps being useful to privacy-conscious folks out there, and i know there is more than a few, i have stumbled upon uBlock which is stated as being superior than AdBlock Plus, according to the developer.

On GitHub, you will find more information on the app :

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

It's intended for users of Firefox, Chromium, Safari, as an addon.

Here is a quote from GitHub site :

That said, it's important to note that using a blocker is NOT theft. Don't fall for this creepy idea. The ultimate logical consequence of blocking = theft is the criminalisation of the inalienable right to privacy

Ads, "unintrusive" or not, are just the visible portions of privacy-invading apparatus entering your browser when you visit most sites nowadays. µBlock's main goal is to help users neutralize such privacy-invading apparatus — in a way that welcomes those users who don't wish to use more technical, involved means (such as µMatrix).

EasyList, Peter Lowe's Adservers, EasyPrivacy are enabled by default when you install µBlock. Many more lists are readily available to block trackers, analytics, and more. Hosts files are also supported.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb 2015, 15:37    Post subject:  

I am using ublock right now. I really don't have any complaints. If you use windows, adblocking should be a no-brainer. There is a high chance, no matter where you go, that there will be mal-vertisement.
8Geee

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:02    Post subject: sqlite file size
Subject description: its getting big rather fast

Sorry for dredging this up, but in my searches about Ublock here, this thread seemed apropriate.

I recently D/L Ublock Origin, the supposed successor to AdBlock Edge/Plus versions. bark_bark_bark, how big is the associated sqlite file for UbO?

After just a few days with careful selection of blocking agents (3rd Party) my sqlite file grew to 11+ Mb. I have ABE configured to eliminate all the redundant back-ups, and occupies about 6Mb after many months of use. Due to the use of the sqlite file, and the inability to trim, or even peek at the listing(s). I tossed it in favor of ABE, tho its probably going the way of the dodo bird.

Linux user #498913

Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug 2015, 20:38    Post subject: Re: sqlite file size
Subject description: its getting big rather fast

8Geee wrote:
Sorry for dredging this up, but in my searches about Ublock here, this thread seemed apropriate.

I recently D/L Ublock Origin, the supposed successor to AdBlock Edge/Plus versions. bark_bark_bark, how big is the associated sqlite file for UbO?

After just a few days with careful selection of blocking agents (3rd Party) my sqlite file grew to 11+ Mb. I have ABE configured to eliminate all the redundant back-ups, and occupies about 6Mb after many months of use. Due to the use of the sqlite file, and the inability to trim, or even peek at the listing(s). I tossed it in favor of ABE, tho its probably going the way of the dodo bird.

It got up to 30MB.

8Geee

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 22:04    Post subject:  

I'd like to bump and update this after 2 1/2 years...

AdBlockEdge in my Slacko5.7 update/spin-off still does update due to its universal calls for Fanboy/Malware/Blocker.
GdMap reports only 10.0 Mb footprint.
That includes 33 custom blocks for yahoo video-loads, B$ mining, and new types of 'super-cookie'.

In fairness it does
1.) slow the cold start of FF27
2.) update itself after a few minutes of browsing, but once per calendar day.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913

Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Moat

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 22:28    Post subject:  

Probably six of one, half dozen of the other - but I have come to prefer uBlock Origin, as it definitely feels/responds lighter in use, and the element selection too is faster/lighter/easier IMO.

But yes - both will spawn a growing DB file of considerable size - the price ya' pay, I guess. But worth it - if not simply a requirement nowadays. Confused

Bob
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Security/Privacy
Jump to: