tahrpup menu trouble

Please post any bugs you have found
hapless_user

tahrpup menu trouble

#1 Post by hapless_user »

I'm having trouble with tahrpup menu. It doesn't matter how many computers or methods (cd, usb, full install...) I try on three different laptops(HP DV1000,HP G60, Dell 420)....

Details:

-installed apps do not appear in the menu, though they say they are being put there
-un-installed apps are persistent
-Menu Manager has no effect .I did try the PupMenuEdit menu manager but it's also a fail.
- and yes, it has been updated to .02 but makes no diff

I have discovered what the trouble IS, I think...

the file "fixmenu" disappears after restarting "Graphical Server".
and is thereafter missing in all "saves".

I have found two solutions:
-copy "fixmenu" on first run to a safe place.
and restore it when it disappears

or
-directly edit ".jwrmc"

and,the same thing happened in Slacko puppy

Otherwise, this is the best puppy yet!!
(... though there is some difficulty involving libwxgtk? that I needed for an application I want, but this is after all the above and is not pertinent to my issue above...perhaps not even pertinent to puppy)

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

The problems with menu entries happens sometimes.

Bad package building or using stuff that was not specifically compiled for Tahrpup.

That is why there is a way to rebuild the menu.

menu->Exit->Rebuild Menu

Sometimes you have to use this to get the menu corrected.

IMPORTANT, ONLY EDIT /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc

Go to /etc/xdg/templates/
Read the readme file.

You are uninstalling packages by using the Puppy Package Manager uninstall?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

hapless_user

#3 Post by hapless_user »

hmm, but rebuild menu wouldn't work-the file fixmenu actually entirely disappeared from /usr/sbin
Oh,of course not from the iso-it's always there but just as a first run and thereafter in the save file . An immutable menu unless .jwrmc edited directly.

... yes, I was installing some debian packages abut the above happened BEFORE these additions... just removing some icons with menu-manager and a few apps with puppy's "remove built-in pkgs"- nothing serious I don't think; Mo-manager, Palemoon (only after installing a new default browser)
I even downloaded another fresh iso and it happened again.

But once I'd backed up fixmenus and replaced it (after finally discovering what-the-heck was happening!), it has not happened since.
and, since I see it isn't here as a general bug , "Opirater errrror" comes first to mind! But I note it here, just in case.

hapless_user

#4 Post by hapless_user »

...it has not happened since.But then, I have not gone back and tried to replicate the process either....

sidenote: OpenCPN's wxgtk problem is Solved for me : vicmz's Openbox Plus 1.1 fixed it in tahr 6.0, so it is definitely a Window Manager problem.