Fatdog64-700/701 [April 22 2015] [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
DrDeaf

#31 Post by DrDeaf »

First off, FD700 works perfectly for me so far! :D
There was a dysfunction at bootup with b2 and although different in detail also with rc. The release version does not have this "problem" and I am very curious about what was different between the three versions to cause it.

I use a Thinkpad X230t with 16GB of RAM. No HD. I boot from a locked SD card mounted in a USB3 adapter. Very fast and clean. I do this two ways. My first preference is a card prepared with Easy2Boot and I just toss the pristine ISO to the MainMenu. This usually works with no problem, as in FD630 and now FD700 final.

However, FD700b2 failed at bootup with a message "not enough memory to load specified image". The screen would return to the "FD Live" screen and I could let it boot again with the same result.

FD700rc failed differently. The boot sequence would appear normal until the screen message "Booting the kernel". At this point the sequence would terminate and restart a cold boot from scratch. Untended, the system would do this endlessly.

My "Fallback" boot method is a partitioned card prepped by Grub4Dos. Unpacking the ISOs to each partition has always worked every time.

So, FD630 and FD700 final work great. the earlier versions did not, each in a unique way.

I hope these details help, but the question is simple. What changed among the versions to cause the differences at boot?

Thanks in advance!

Billtoo

Fatdog64-700 FINAL [Feb 22 2015]

#32 Post by Billtoo »

I installed fatdog64-700 to a 64gb SDXC card, running on my Acer touch
screen laptop.
Touch works in all the applications I tested, spacefm,google-chrome,
even dillo.
But in my opinion the mouse pointer works better than a large finger.
I changed the bios setting to legacy on this Windows 8.1 computer.
Attachments
capture29333.jpg
(181.91 KiB) Downloaded 2124 times

dancytron

Netflix working

#33 Post by dancytron »

Just installed Fatdog 700 to a 3 Gb usb stick using Universal USB Installer on my Intel Duo Core Desktop with 3 Gb of Ram.

Installed Chrome from the Fatdog control panel.

Logged into Netflix and it just worked without any problem whatsoever.

Everything else seems good.

-Dan

JustGreg

#34 Post by JustGreg »

I installed the final release version of 700. It works fine. I installed it to a partition on the hard drive with a new save directory. I installed MMEX, Chrome, LibreOffice (sfs) and some other items. No problems encountered. I am trying to get the latest version of the Ardunio IDE up and running correctly. If I do, then I will make an installation package for Fatdog64. Thanks for all the work!
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

kirk

#35 Post by kirk »

@Volhout
it is mem=1950m [NOT mem=1950]
Yep. Take a look at the 631 thread for the c720: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93747

I've uploaded a package for the c720 here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packag ... 6_64-1.txz

This one includes a clickpad driver from here. which works better than the patched synaptics driver except for right clicks. The right button is disabled by default in /root/Startup/touchpad. So to right click you two finger tap. One finger tap is a left click. You can edit /root/Startup/touchpad to enable button right clicks and other things if you like. The old patched synaptics driver is in the repo if you want that instead, it's named xf86-input-synaptics-chromebook.

Nice to hear all the feedback.

olinm

#36 Post by olinm »

Samba Alert has gone out.

https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2015-0240

Samba versions 3.5.0 through 4.2.0rc4 are affected

An attacker who successfully exploits the flaw could potentially execute code remotely with root privileges, the project's developers warned. Root access is automatic and no login or authentication is necessary.

wyzguy

#37 Post by wyzguy »

From: Menu - Graphic - GNU Image ... , the GNU Image line appears twice.

Also, what menu selection or file do I edit to set the lcd subpixel options
like antialias, lcdfilter, rgba, etc?

Otherwise looking good, but barely tested.

Volhout

C720

#38 Post by Volhout »

Yes, it works.

Running from SD stick now (no save file). Have to mod the USB tick to get a 3'rd partition I can use for the save file. touchpad could use some improvement, I'll try your driver once I have the savefile available.

Once all is proven and stable I will move this to SSD (currently have hugegreenbug's elementary for C720 on SSD, to have at least a way to get online if everything else fails.).

Get error messages from youtube, but that could be due to my currnt slow speed connection. Function keys do not map yet (volume, brightness), will look into that later.

Thanks so far...

Edit:
Tried the fix-usb.sh, fat32, and mkdosfs, but that did not result in a fat32 sdb3 yet, will retry, and post the results.
Edit 2: second time mkdosfs /dev/sdb3 worked. And I created a save file (noticed that if you select ext2, the filename extension still is ext4). Tried to edit grub.cfg on the USB stick to include the mem=1950m, but could not write this file back to the stick (read only filesystem). Tried from ubuntu to make the change, but that also did not work. Can I change the GPT partition to r/w ?

olinm

#39 Post by olinm »

Kirk , James

Don't know if it's of any use but ozibox is now giving 100 GB of cloud storage for free and they have a public shared folder for files?

Just thought i'd mention it in case it was of interest as a high speed mirror for all the packages?

olinm

#40 Post by olinm »

Just found some time to give this a go and placed the ISO on a brand new USB drive.

After the first boot and choosing to install the latest version of Firefox one of my Raptor HDD drives makes a read/write noise while downloading and installing.

Done a fresh format and placed the Fatdog ISO on the USB drive twice more in case i was imaging things but again HDD read/write noise while installing firefox even though the HDD's on the desktop are not mounted?

Only thing shown as mounted on the desktop is the USB drive , Any idea what is going on and what it would be accessing the HDD drive for?

Volhout

desktop

#41 Post by Volhout »

Right click on the desktop opens a menu with lot's of empty categories.

kirk

#42 Post by kirk »

Done a fresh format and placed the Fatdog ISO on the USB drive twice more in case i was imaging things but again HDD read/write noise while installing firefox even though the HDD's on the desktop are not mounted?
If it's not mounted, then Fatdog is not doing anything with it. Maybe the drive's SMART tools are trying to fix something. You could open a terminal and use smartctl to see if something is going on with that.
Can I change the GPT partition to r/w ?
Off the top of my head I would say no. I thought Seabios would boot a bios image. Instead of using dd to put the iso on your flash drive, you could try the Fatdog64 installer. It's in the control panel on the Utilities tab. The installer will ask if you have extra boot options and when it's done the drive will be r/w if you want to change something.

olinm

#43 Post by olinm »

kirk wrote:If it's not mounted, then Fatdog is not doing anything with it. Maybe the drive's SMART tools are trying to fix something. You could open a terminal and use smartctl to see if something is going on with that.
I'll do a fresh format and try that tomorrow as i'm out of time today.

Not sure why others are reporting an issue with firefox and BBC Iplayer as it's working perfectly here in the UK?

Maybe they have some hardware conflict with the flashplayer graphics acceleration?

Only issue i have is with vertical sync lines using the nouveau drivers as the Vblank isn't worth jack and there isn't Nvidia proprietary drivers.

:(

L18L

firstrun

#44 Post by L18L »

Once upon a time [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96179&start=314]technosaurus[/url] wrote:Also, since FD64 doesn't have a first run wizard, you may have to manually set date and time to get https to work on computers that don't have time/date set properly already (for ex. new computers that haven't been run yet, or old ones with dead CMOS battery)
... keyboard
... timezone

This

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ash
#FIRST-RUN for Fatdog
#  
# sourced by /etc/X11/xinitrc just because this way it can be launched:
# launch_app_in_another_LANGUAGE fatdog FIRST-RUN
#
# run at each start and RestartX
# Note, for each new non-root user this is a FIRST-RUN
#

while : ; do
  [ -f $FATDOG_STATE_DIR/language ] && read L < $FATDOG_STATE_DIR/language
  [ "$L" ] && break || cp /tmp/chosen_lang_code $FATDOG_STATE_DIR/language
done

if [ $(id -u) -eq 0 ]; then # clock &time managed by root only
  [ -f /etc/hwclock.conf ]          || LANGUAGE=$L hwclockconf.sh
  [ -f /etc/localtime ]               || LANGUAGE=$L fatdog-set-timezone.sh
fi
[ -f $FATDOG_STATE_DIR/xkeymap ]    || LANGUAGE=$L fatdog-keyboard-wizard.sh
[ "`grep '\.' $FATDOG_STATE_DIR/language`" ] || LANGUAGE=$L fatdog-choose-locale.sh
# ex:LANGUAGE=de and locale=de_BE.utf8
and everything to make it work (in my box, nls loaded) in attached package.

(5.48 KiB) Downloaded 759 times

Ted Dog

#45 Post by Ted Dog »

olinm wrote:Just found some time to give this a go and placed the ISO on a brand new USB drive.

After the first boot and choosing to install the latest version of Firefox one of my Raptor HDD drives makes a read/write noise while downloading and installing.

Only thing shown as mounted on the desktop is the USB drive , Any idea what is going on and what it would be accessing the HDD drive for?
Ar3 you sure its not the fan? fan noise has increased from RC on.. Or has your flashdrive been to any of the countries known to have NSA spying tools flooding the place. :wink: I get no disk activities. Also boot with waitdev=4 so hardware can settle to be found.

Doglover

#46 Post by Doglover »

Nice work guys.
For me Grub4dos is a little quirky. Installing FD gives me a message that it will only boot bios systems. I have a hp pavilion 1 yr old and it has secure efi boot in the bios. Any way running the boot loader gives me two entries for FD.
First FD entry boots up fine in about 20 seconds. Second FD entry takes about three minutes to boot. I commented out the second entry and tried a reboot, and it failed. Attached screenshot of menu lst.

Wondering why this happens.

Bios is Insyde version F-13 11/20/2013

Board is HP 216f
Attachments
menu-lst.png
(38.6 KiB) Downloaded 848 times

ETP

Fatdog64-700 FINAL [Feb 22 2015]

#47 Post by ETP »

Initial quick Test.

Installed hybrid ISO to a 32 GB USB3 stick and tested on i5-3340s @ 2.80 GHz. I struggled to obtain a wired Ethernet connection probably because the box also has wireless.
I was able to attach by wireless but to attach by cable was forced to resort to appending the following code in /etc/network/interfaces.

Code: Select all

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
A reboot then did the trick. A 1GB savefile was created on an NTFS partition on my SSD.
Having seen Stemsee’s comment about a Blowfish score of 5.81 I decided to make some comparative tests as subjectively it was fast to boot & very snappy.

Here are the results of the “Blowfish
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

kirk

#48 Post by kirk »

First FD entry boots up fine in about 20 seconds. Second FD entry takes about three minutes to boot. I commented out the second entry and tried a reboot, and it failed. Attached screenshot of menu lst.

Wondering why this happens.
Don't know. Some firmware has problems with a huge initrd. Also your boot options are for puppy, not fatdog. Take a look at the FAQs on the home page or here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/faq.html

You should read numbers 5, 25, and 26.

Doglover

#49 Post by Doglover »

Reason why the boot parameters are puppy because if I run Grub4dos in Fatdog it doesn't find the Firedogplus distro, it only reports "unknown system". The Fatdog entries work exactly the same as before. I still want to run Firedogplus. So that is from slacko 5.7. 0
Last edited by Doglover on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#50 Post by Ted Dog »

Figured out a way to 'full' install fatdog700 details in help beginners thread, could use some tweaking, but liking the speed. Kirk or JamesBond anything wrong with this method?

Somehow lost spot [ not that it bothers me much ] run as