Java 8u31 in SFS OU PET

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
MDias25

Java 8u31 in SFS OU PET

#1 Post by MDias25 »

Hello.

One could make the Java plugin updated 8u31 by SFS or PET for automatic installation.

I'm facing serious problems installing Java on Puppy Linux to work with the Firefox browser.

Thanks in advance!

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

I think other Puppy community members produce java packages but anyway I put together java jre-8u31-i586.sfs which I think is better than .pet because it is quite a large package. I assume you want the 32bit version.

The browser plugin should be enabled, test here:-
http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

You should find the java control panel in the Utility section of your menu.

These java versions are updated often so I will probably not leave it in my repo for long but for now it is in here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks

EDIT:- This package is now out of date so has been removed.
Attachments
java-verified.jpg
Firefox browser with java plugin verified
(41.51 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
Last edited by OscarTalks on Tue 24 Mar 2015, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

MDias25

#3 Post by MDias25 »

Thanks for responding.
I installed jre you gave me, at first it worked, but when put to test in Java site, is giving this problem = /

Do you have any tips on how to solve this problem friend?[/img]

MDias25

#4 Post by MDias25 »

Any solution, pls! :(

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

is palemoon stable?

Is that version of java compatible...try running java from the terminal.
Some items like this , qt4 etc are not installed in the path for some reason so wont work until after a reboot... a puppyism perhaps.
Java tends to have a selection of plugin options (links) I noticed... might want a different one.
Do you need the latest version...I find 1.6 works ok for anything I try...

Just suggestions...

mike

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

MDias, is that a persona or theme PM's skinned with? You may have an incompatibility there..

I'd suggest you start PM in safe mode and retry your Java test page: palemoon -safe-mode
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

OscarTalks

#7 Post by OscarTalks »

MDias25,
What Puppy are you running? Your original post mentioned Firefox so I tested it in that. The ownership of all the java files is set to "root" so I am wondering if you are running the browser as some other user. There has been some mention of compatibility problems with add-ons in the latest couple of versions of PaleMoon. Otherwise I don't have any further ideas. The java package is all pre-compiled and the browser plugin is just a symlink in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins so it is difficult to see what could be done to change anything.
Oscar in England

8Geee

#8 Post by 8Geee »

OP:
What version of FireFox do you have?
Basically, FireFox itself (for browser applications) terminated support with FF17. Other apps will play nice, but FF will not. So if your request is to make FF play nice with Java and things JVM, my condolences.

Things like OpenOffice will still play nice. Just no social-media stuff online.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

OscarTalks

#9 Post by OscarTalks »

I did a fresh savefile of Dpup Wheezy and installed the latest PaleMoon 25.2.1 and then my java jre package and the verify test applet works OK so as things stand I am unable to reproduce the problem.
Attachments
java-palemoon.jpg
Latest PaleMoon 25.2.1 and java plugin test seems OK
(45.77 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
Oscar in England

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

lack of information problem...what puppy , what hardware.

non reproducible crashes like this can be hardware related...eg video acceleration problems,or core system instability

With out more information everyone is guessing and cannot help effectively.

Mike

MDias25

#11 Post by MDias25 »

Thank you all for help, managed to solve my problem doing it.

Digite um texto ou endereço de um site ou traduza um documento.
1 - Download the file ".sfs" shared here to download and run it to install.

2 - After the installation, explore the following path using the Rox File Manager: usr / lib / mozilla / plugins and delete the file libnpjp2.so

3 - Go to the folder usr / local / java / jre1.8.0_31 / lib / i386 /, click the right mouse button on the file libnpjp2.so >> File menu "libnpjp2.s0" >> click on the " Link ".

4 - When you do this will open a small screen called "synlink" make sure it is marked as "relative link" if you leave checked, otherwise check it. Explore again back to the way: usr / lib / mozilla / plugins in the plugins folder go again "synlink" in the window and has a refresh image take this image and drag into the plugins folder you left open .. . automatically Puppy Linux will create a relative link libnpjp2.so file into the plugin folder.

Ready! The updated JRE is installed on your system, open your Pale Moon or Firefox browser and enter this page to confirm that the plugin has been successfully installed: http://java.com/en/download/installed8.jsp

MDias25

#12 Post by MDias25 »

Friend, because you deleted the jdk package?
I need it again = /

OscarTalks

#13 Post by OscarTalks »

It is JRE and not JDK
Newer versions are released frequently so you have to keep on top of the situation.
Since I don't really use Java JRE myself I prefer to leave it to others to provide these packages. Posters such as Shinobar and The Asterisk were uploading these in the past and I have seen packages by gjuhasz here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91560 and a script by Uten here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87913 so these are probably better options than mine.
Oscar in England