Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 11 Nov 2019, 20:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Quirky April 7.0 - 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.4.1
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 17 of 52 [770 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 50, 51, 52 Next
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2015, 17:18    Post subject:  

kj4bnh wrote:
Been with this distro since 7.0. Installed 7.0.1 then 7.0.2. The only "issue" is when running SM using the arrow keys to line up or down the screen blanks. This has been going on since 7.0. Any ideas?

Can you run seamonkey from the console and see if any error messages ? And also run dmesg ? Which video card and drivers do you use ?
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2015, 19:17    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
BarryK wrote:
Although Quirky is intended for full installations, if you want to do a frugal install, without having to burn the .iso file to CD and boot the CD, yes, the files can be take directly out of the .iso file.

HOWEVER, read this:

You must use my script to do it, as explained here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/amd64/april-7.0.2/frugal/install-frugal.htm

Here is the script:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/amd64/april-7.0.2/frugal/installquirky.gz

I think that the script will work running any recent Puppy, Quirky or Fatdog.

Frugal install is OK, but do be aware that it loads totally into RAM, so you need at least 2GB RAM (though one tester has reported 1.5GB works).
It sure is fast though, running in RAM -- SM starts in 1 second.

I get kernel panic when I try to boot a frugal install of 7.0.2 using the above instructions.

I have tried using the install desktop icon from within 7.0.2 and also the separate installquirky script from Slacko6 - both frugal installs kernel panic on boot.

My grub4dos entry is:
Code:
title April64 (sda4/test1)
  uuid 9bb32631-a1f9-425f-81bb-9f816347e8fc
  kernel /test1/vmlinuz  rootwait rw
  initrd /test1/initrd.q

installquirky when run in Slacko6 says:
./installquirky: line 268: popup: command not found

This is on my desktop with 4GB ram. The files sizes after install are:
Code:
# ls -s
total 531584
   440 initrd.q  527652 q.sfs    3492 vmlinuz

Oh, Slacko does not have 'popup'! -- oh, well remove Slacko from list. In that case, remove Fatdog also.

I have made a note, will have to edit 'installquirky' to use gxmessage or something else if popup not available.

You can click on the 'initrd.q' file, which will open it up, and it can then be edited and put together again.

Kernel panic... thinking what could cause that... if you open initrd.q, is there a file 'BOOT_SPECS' inside it?
Should be, and it should contain the variables BOOT_DEV, BOOT_FS and BOOT_FOLDER, set to appropriate values.

If not, then we have narrowed down the problem in the script.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2015, 19:23    Post subject:  

Blackfish wrote:
So, I decided to skip it altogether and just go download the 7.0.2 and reinstall on the partition with that Puppy, figuring that it might fix everything. But no love. The message on the Quirky Release Announcement page says to: "Download three files:
*.usfs.xz, sha1sums.txt, 4install-quirky-to-drive.gz."

I got the usfs.xz file for 7.0.2 downloaded, all right; but the sha1sums.txt file does not download, but only opens up when clicked; and the 4install-quirky-to-drive.gz file isn't even on the page. I had to do a search for another page to find that file and found this, which failed: http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/quirky/quirky6/x86/april-6.94/

This is the page I used to get the usfs.xz file: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/x86/april-7.0.2/

It appears that I have the files, but they don't work when I try to run the script.

Do I need to look elsewhere for the necessary files? I don't understand what is happening here. Different files on different pages, and I don't know which ones to download. HELP!

7.0.1 and 7.0.2 are bug-fixes releases for 7.0.

For any missing files, look in the 7.0 release folder:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/x86/april-7.0/

I expect that the next release will be 7.1, and I will then put all the files "together" again.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2015, 19:28    Post subject:  

Blackfish wrote:
Now, that's bizarre! I just loaded the 7.0 onto the partition and it, too, leaves me with no way to connect to the Internet. That's weird. Everything worked perfectly with the USB sticks, the install, connectivity, upgrade to 7.0.2--EVERYTHING! But when I install to partition, nothing seems to be working right and things are missing.

Workin' on it.

What distro are you running on, when you run '4install-quirky-to-partition'?

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2015, 19:30    Post subject:  

kj4bnh wrote:
Been with this distro since 7.0. Installed 7.0.1 then 7.0.2. The only "issue" is when running SM using the arrow keys to line up or down the screen blanks. This has been going on since 7.0. Any ideas?

What Xorg driver are you using?

(if you run 'report-video' in a terminal, it should tell you? As will 'quicksetup')

Blackfish

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2015, 23:55    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
Blackfish wrote:
Now, that's bizarre! I just loaded the 7.0 onto the partition and it, too, leaves me with no way to connect to the Internet. That's weird. Everything worked perfectly with the USB sticks, the install, connectivity, upgrade to 7.0.2--EVERYTHING! But when I install to partition, nothing seems to be working right and things are missing.

Workin' on it.

What distro are you running on, when you run '4install-quirky-to-partition'?

Quirky 6.1.4

From one partition on my hard drive to another.

Maybe if I download the files to the fresh USB sticks and install from there I would be better off?

Last edited by Blackfish on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 20:01; edited 1 time in total
kj4bnh

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 00:46    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
kj4bnh wrote:

What Xorg driver are you using?

(if you run 'report-video' in a terminal, it should tell you? As will 'quicksetup')

Intel.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky April, version 7.0.2

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1366x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: synaptics dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod glx kbd mouse present synaptics

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 01:50    Post subject:  

ohh first I heard of intel drivers having the problem usually AMD worst ( most common ) and NVIDIA ( less common ) Be sure to use the command given above for ACTUAL driver used, not just brand name from the back plate or label on machine.. There are three possible drivers which could be loaded two are not intel... Those are the generic ones of which I speak. please post all the letters before and after there is normally additional DOT somethings that why we know you ran the command for proper ID of video driver. If you do not see intel do not panic. give the name anyway.

Sorry for being a pain.. you need to be very accurate for resolution or work arounds. Now we know its intel hardware and really new or really old could be helpful do you know numbers or codes for your video chipset ( or computer model number for us to look it up ? ) intel is good about documenting whats what and has a helpful website lookup for techies.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 01:52    Post subject:  

lol you posted as I was typing asking for more... that is helpful what you posted AS I typed... Cool
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 02:12    Post subject:  

bad news That problem you posted is Just the tip of the iceburg other distros have been reporting that corruption and poor playback and performance in general since 2010... Have not found a fix there may not be, like our site many marked issues as [SOLVED] haven't come across a solved yet for REV 9... with 6 major linux brands reviewed. Crying or Very sad
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 02:20    Post subject:  

left my computer chair for a nature call and I returned to find my dog refuses to move so I guess its her way of telling me enough go to bed its 1:20AM....

Laughing
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 02:45    Post subject:  

Curiosity won. Both 32 & 64bit run perfectly. FP v.10 in former, v.11 in latter. Yes, even SiS190 video chip (shared mem., too), AMD cpu - everything runs, even SM, my pet hate works. 32bit is very slow to boot into pfix=ram, liveCD with 1.5Mb, but OK when up. 64bit is fast to boot, lightning to run, even as liveCD.
Time to advance to ARM for tablets, smart phones, watches and - esp. Pi 2+ ? [Consider nuking the Wintel cartel - half of it is dying, anyway]. Just off to my Mandarin-4-beginners lessons.
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 04:56    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
Kernel panic... thinking what could cause that... if you open initrd.q, is there a file 'BOOT_SPECS' inside it?
Should be, and it should contain the variables BOOT_DEV, BOOT_FS and BOOT_FOLDER, set to appropriate values.

Hi Barry

[SOLVED] thanks - I wasn't aware that the frugal install was specific to the name of the subdirectory it was installed into and had changed the subdirectory name before booting.

Is it possible to modify this behaviour with a boot cheat code like psubdir=xxx?

If so, it might be worth modifying the suggested grub4dos entry to include such?

Also might be worth having a small README put into the subdirectory to alert that the install is specific to that directory?

Only further thing to note is that my wifi connection via sns does not get re-established after a save and reboot - I have to manually reconnect.

The very much faster save is a definite improvement BTW.

Cheers
peebee
capture7941.png
 Description   
 Filesize   157.62 KB
 Viewed   397 Time(s)

capture7941.png

Last edited by peebee on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 05:08; edited 1 time in total
L18L

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 05:03    Post subject: popup
Subject description: gxmessage

BarryK wrote:
Oh, Slacko does not have 'popup'! -- oh, well remove Slacko from list. In that case, remove Fatdog also.

I have made a note, will have to edit 'installquirky' to use gxmessage or something else if popup not available.

gxmessage is not in Fatdog.
Maybe a one-liner like
Code:
 [ `which popup 2>/dev/null` ] || popup () { [ "$DISPLAY" ] && Xdialog --msgbox "$1" 0 0 100000 || dialog --msgbox "$1" 0 0;  }
will help.
Jerror

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 16:53    Post subject:  

After 7.0.2 was released, I PPM prompted me to install the Quirky7.0.1 to 7.0.2 service pack and the devx 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 service pack. I installed the Quirky service pack and rebooted, and now I'm not given the option to install the devx service pack. I tried another reboot, repository refresh, and the Quirky Version Upgrade Manager, but to no avail. I have devx 7.0.0 and the devx 7.0.0 to 7.0.1 sp. The 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 sp doesn't show in any package repositories. What's up?
Page 17 of 52 [770 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 50, 51, 52 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: