Quirky April 7.0 - 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.4.1

Please post any bugs you have found
gcav

Re: April 7.0.3

#421 Post by gcav »

jd7654 wrote:
gcav wrote: Good to know it works...
I must have done something wrong while creating the usb drive.

gc

I just got wifi networking up! Typing this now from the ASUS T100.
I used a cheap mini wifi USB adapter I had lying around, an rtl8192cu module that Puppy sees just fine.

Just so you don't chase your tail, I didn't really do a standard install. I just tried something that happened to work.
Later on I can look at doing it properly, but I'm just fine with this bit of progress right now.
All the tablet's features are not fully functional, but works fine as a basic laptop.

This isn't the normal USB approach. I'm running off a live ISO written to USB drive, and then with the special 32-bit UEFI bootloader mod added.
I didn't expect it to work, but I turned around and saw it coming up.

Linux and Quirky has come a long way in a year since I last tried Linux on this thing.

Thanks Barry!

Can you post what you did to the boot partition. Which files you replaced with the 32 bit UEFI version.

thanks,
gc

jd7654

Re: April 7.0.3

#422 Post by jd7654 »

gcav wrote: Can you post what you did to the boot partition. Which files you replaced with the 32 bit UEFI version.

thanks,
gc

Sure, but:

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for any data loss or damage done to your computer by following any of these instructions.

Most info out there is for ASUS Transformer T100 because it was one of the earliest popular Bay Trail devices, so there's more on it. But probably applies to your Bay Trail device too.

Main info was from here:
https://linuxnorth.wordpress.com/2014/1 ... book-t100/

Note that on the home page of that blog he posted just a few weeks ago a cautionary tale about bricking his device and was very discouraged and decided to stop his quest. And this is from someone experienced now!
So use with extreme caution. I for one don't plan on trying to install anything with the internal SSD drive, only external USB, which is fine. That's all you need with Puppy/Quirky anyway.

OK, back to the program:

Very simple with Quirky.
Just prepare your USB drive as normal, either live ISO or full install to drive.

Grab the file down on the page linked above Unpackit.tar.gz and just copy the boot and EFI folders onto your drive.
That's pretty much it, it's precompiled and setup for special 32-bit EFI Grub2 bootloader bootia32.efi to replace the syslinux bootloader.
* Warning about using someone else's compiled binaries, you may want to make your own. Here's another link:
http://www.jfwhome.com/2014/03/07/perfe ... book-t100/

This config was made for Ubuntu, So you just edit the grub.cfg in /boot/grub with your Quirky install and replace/displace the first Ubuntu entry.

Mine looks like this, I have both live and full install on the USB drive:(plus others)

Code: Select all

menuentry "Quirky April 64 7.0.3 LIVE" {
	linux /vmlinuz rootwait rw
	initrd /initrd.q
}
menuentry "Quirky April 64 7.0.3 (full install on 8a8d6f68-02)" {
#  uuid f563fe0c-efed-49f8-ba7c-0ba81f4c0d2a
	linux /vmlinuz root=PARTUUID=8a8d6f68-02 rootwait rw
}
That's it!

mpanek60

quirky 6.2.1 on 900mghz celeron netbook on 56k dialup

#423 Post by mpanek60 »

Running fast on celeron 900mghz asus netbook, ide flash drive ext4 format "not journaled",

grub4dos, programs installed include chromium (from latest Mint linux), recoll, foxtrotgps, espeakgui. Chromium works the best on facebook and twitter too...thank you.
Last edited by mpanek60 on Tue 14 Apr 2015, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#424 Post by BarryK »

I just fixed a bug with postscript files. If you click on a .ps file, nothing happens.

That's because there is no 'ghostview' application. So, I created a script /usr/bin/ghostview, that runs 'ps2pdf' and launches defaultpdfviewer.

Note, I am slow to respond to bug reports, as have had a guest at my place for the last week.
I will get onto some more bug fixing soon.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

jd7654

#425 Post by jd7654 »

Small cosmetic issue.

ISOMaster app, all icons are "X"s. Functionality was OK though.
Attachments
ISOMaster-capture6561.png
(32.23 KiB) Downloaded 1203 times

scsijon

#426 Post by scsijon »

7.0.3 problem for an Acer E15 - dead touchpad, but plugging in a mouse and the mouse works.

From investigation, it seems that the laptop has what is called a 'Precision Touchpad' that can do most of the things that a smartphone's surface can do other than be a display and keyboard. Things like enlarging by moving two fingers apart, using corners for different purposes and the like. It doesn't use the standard mouse driver.

Looking with the hardinfo 'equivalent' in 7.0.3, it tells me that there is a missing driver with settings of Vendor ID=04ea ProductID=300b.

Any idea where to look it up and find the package to build?

I take it there is also a kernel-source.pet package around.

And @barryk, can we have the normal Hardinfo back in the default package set please, I had awful problems working out what package replaces it for what and how to use it to find what I wanted. Even then, looking for other things, there didn't seem to be equivalents in an easy to access format. Maybe it's that i'm so use to hardinfo just 'being there'.

P.S. it looks like the server is still on daylight-saving time, does someone need to change it manually?

gcmartin

#427 Post by gcmartin »

Nice @BarryK.

Few questions
  • About Hardinfo ... +1.
  • Will future fixes be part of a PPM service pack to this release or will maintenance be a point-level download release?
Thx

Jasper

#428 Post by Jasper »

About Hardinfo - and this is a question - what does PupSysInfo say under Sys-Apps? Install Hardinfo from the PPM.

@gcmartin - I repeat - after some 50 years and so much advice to others - surely you can publish your perfect distro (giving credit to those who made it possible)?
Last edited by Jasper on Mon 13 Apr 2015, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#429 Post by BarryK »

jd7654 wrote:Small cosmetic issue.

ISOMaster app, all icons are "X"s. Functionality was OK though.
Thanks, I have fixed it.

Interesting, all these bugs we are still finding.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

gcmartin

Gparted and April has problems

#430 Post by gcmartin »

I have run into several different problems with the latest 703,
The good news, 1st.
Edit: Commands to create the USB stick was

# xz --decompress --stdout april64-7.0.3-8gb.img.xz  > /dev/sdb
# sync
SWAP partition is found during boot. Boots to desktop, IP over ethernet wire already acquired. FirstRUN filled with my personal meaningful hostname.
RAM report

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       1014332       193740       820592        29720          112
-/+ buffers:             193628       820704
Swap:      4290556            0      4290556

# echo "After tailoring, use of editor, doing screen captures, running mtPaint, and starting a Seamonkey session"
"After tailoring, use of editor, doing screen captures, running mtPaint, and starting a Seamonkey session

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       1014332       413056       601276        52016           96
-/+ buffers:             412960       601372
Swap:      4290556            0      4290556

# echo "System is stable, swift, and extremely responsive on this USB-8GB boot."
System is stable, swift, and extremely responsive on this USB-8GB boot.

#
Now issues - April's Gparted view of the booted stick
I allowed Gparted to "fix" the stick.
Bad idea. Stick will NO LONGER boot on UEFI or BIOS PCs. UEFI it freezes. BIOS it kernel panics. And it seems that Gparted cannot report anything about in-use of the boot partition of the USB.

Hope this is helpful to others. I have experiences some issues with April and Gparted as reported in the past which leave me cautious in April use with my drives.
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 14 Apr 2015, 01:40, edited 4 times in total.

jd7654

#431 Post by jd7654 »

gcmartin wrote: Bad idea. Stick will NO LONGER boot on UEFI or BIOS PCs. UEFI it freezes. BIOS it kernel panics. And it seems that Gparted cannot report anything about in-use of the boot partition of the USB.

Hope this is helpful to others. I have experiences some issues with April and Gparted as reported in the past which leave me cautious in April use with my drives.

Yeah, I noticed lots of errors and warnings once I started using Quirky and f2fs. Gparted doesn't seem to be able to do much with f2fs:
http://gparted.org/features.php

So I ended up making my Quirky USB drives manually by hand so I could size and partition them the way I want, and then install quirky into the partitions afterwards.

gcmartin

#432 Post by gcmartin »

OH, and please forgive @Jasper's comments. In his trolling behind me, he seems to have missed what @Scsijon's post is for community viewing. And, he incorrectly understands what "advice" is.

Apologies for that behavior. (Am sure he will follow with something more to disrupt.)

Judes

#433 Post by Judes »

Why does Jasper keep following gcmartin around the forum saying the same thing over and over again?

Shouldn't this creepy stalking be reported to the Admin as in some countrys this is illegal online harassment. ???

bark_bark_bark

#434 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I have to defend Jasper here, and say he is right. If none of the puppy distros are to gcmartin's liking, then he could at least try to develop his own.

gcmartin

#435 Post by gcmartin »

I think most of us see thru this crap that is suggested. Namely "If none of the puppy distros are to gcmartin's liking, then he could at least try to develop his own." To be truthful, he is not defending @Jasper (there is other evidence around the forum to show otherwise; simply opportunist behavior).

I have neither trashed or disrupted any threads in the normal forum. (I have from time to time commented on negative behavior and Off Topic discussion which are political/religious in nature.) I have a history of concentrating my comments to a thread's title and contributes as best one can. Lastly, I have not indicated nor commented on any developer's contributions/distros in any negative manner.

So as per usual, this kind of logic, as displayed in the past too, is inconsistent logic and does not match what actually occurs. But, the sad part is that the last commenter, still, does not know what a thread's title means nor ... :wink:

So let's try to keep on topic and stop disruptive behavior in this or any forum threads.

bark_bark_bark

#436 Post by bark_bark_bark »

gcmartin wrote:...But, the sad part is that the last commenter, still, does not know what a thread's title means nor ... :wink:
Again with the attacks.

I know what the thread title means.

Anyways this topic has been de-railed for too long.

gcmartin

Gparted and April has problems (cont)

#437 Post by gcmartin »

After restoring the USB by starting over. I have to report that when my USB booted system starts Gparted and I select my USB drive ONLY (sdb), Gparted does NOT open to the desktop. If I select sda or all drives, it does open to desktop.

Additionally, when attempting shutdown after merely opening Gparted, the system does NOT shutdown locked on the console message "Quirky April is now shutting down ..."

Update:
After a forced poweroff, I rebooted the system in another distro. Opening Gparted there, I got the same messages seen in April. I allowed Gparted to fix and shutdown that PUP.

Then, I booted the USB. It went to desktop without any hesitation or issues. Immediately following its arrival at desktop, I shutdown. This, too, performed without issues.

Update2:
Restarted the system after successful shutdown. Returned to Gparted in April and had similar problems. When trying to shutdown after Gparted, system again locked on the above console message.

Update3:
The USB continues to boot in spite of the shutdown problem I find.

Dont know it this is related or unrelated
In the prior session. I decided to use my USB April (full-install) to create a DVD for use on other PCs with 4GB RAM from April64 ISO and left the DVD in its drive after completion. On a subsequent boot, I selected my USB, it started, then the boot process became "confused" as it began copying the SFS from my DVD, even though the system was started to the USB. This led to problems and kernel panic. I dont know if there is a connection, but, removing the DVD, the system boots normal.

Otherwise
All of the apps in the menu I have tried in this and past Aprils continue to run rapid without issues.

Hope this is helpful

Jasper

#438 Post by Jasper »

Kiss @gcmartin wrote yesterday a.m.
Nice @BarryK.

Few questions

* About Hardinfo ... +1.

* Will future fixes be part of a PPM service pack to this release or will maintenance be a point-level download release?

Thx
and then he wrote yesterday p.m.
April64-703 testing has been abandoned. Problems with I/O subsystem and drives.
Now:

* A few means an indefinite number >1 and +1 is not a question.

* Patience would be better than a damn fool question to BarryK.

* So you have stopped testing., thus all testing is abandoned.

Plus:

* I pointed out Hardinfo is in the PPM. NB BarryK now thinks PupSysInfo (which can also access Hardinfo) is the better choice.

* When identical versions of Quirky are held on an internal hard drive and are also held on either (or both ) a DVD/flash stick - then I surmise that whichever of those devices the boot process starts from it is the internal hard drive that will take over.

* So "nice" for days then when help may be needed it's "goodbye".

linuxcbon

#439 Post by linuxcbon »

Just a reminder, here is a place for bugs reports only... :twisted:

bark_bark_bark

#440 Post by bark_bark_bark »

linuxcbon wrote:Just a reminder, here is a place for bugs reports only... :twisted:
+1