Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Sep 2018, 17:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Quirky April 7.0 - 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.4.1
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 39 of 52 [770 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 50, 51, 52 Next
Author Message
sdsds

Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr 2015, 21:41    Post subject:  

A quick install report:
Quirky 7.0.4.1 onto a hd partition of a Nehemiah-based system went perfectly. Thanks!
capture22037.png
Description 
png

 Download 
Filename  capture22037.png 
Filesize  119.96 KB 
Downloaded  240 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
zygo

Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 233
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr 2015, 22:18    Post subject:  

Barry,

Would you, kindly, consider adding some of Geany's official plugins http://plugins.geany.org/ as standard in April or as pets.

Pohelper usefull for translators. And Spellcheck. Also:

Addons
Geanyextrasel
Geanyinsertnum
Geanylua
Geanymacro
Pairtaghighlighter
Shiftcolumn
Devhelp

Z
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ozcjp

Joined: 16 Feb 2015
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr 2015, 23:19    Post subject:  

Bindee wrote:
BarryK wrote:
The "Puppy Forum" is actually awash with forks and derivatives of Puppy,some of them getting to be somewhat unPuppy-like.


Do you see that as a good or bad thing?

Someone else said a similar thing just recently about a project that things seem to be moving away from the user friendliness of the original puppy idea.


Don't knock the puplets, they are saying something important.
Along with the stated goals of puppy ( http://puppylinux.com/about.htm ) there is another goal that is not always recognised, but has been well and truly met, namely, to create a framework for rapidly building special-purpose systems. The "puplets" ( or "non-puppies, if you prefer ) are just public examples of what I suspect are a vast array of systems, each tailored to a specific task, be it intrusion testing of networks, backing up on the fly, cold booting, you name it. Most of them will never see the light of day, but they all depend on the simplicity and stability that BK created. ( Barry, take a bow please...)
As a simple example; your friend's M$ machine has some sort of hernia and refuses to play. You take you trusty puppy CD, boot it up, and recover all those priceless photos from My Pictures, earning undying gratitude in the process.
A more complex version: install an embedded toolchain onto a running puppy, get all the paths right so that everything works, then re-master th puppy. You have just saved yourself hours of work for the next time you need to work on the code in that embedded device. I could go on, but some of the examples would probably get me into trouble for disclosing proprietory information. So don't knock the puplets, they are pointers to something much bigger.
And yes, I believe this is the right forum to discuss the matter. This is for feedback on the quirky system, probably read by BK himself. And it may just be that with what he is doing with quirky he is taking puppy to another level entirely, and if in the process our inane chatter inspires him in any way at all to keep at it, well, so much the better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 5414
Location: GB

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr 2015, 01:36    Post subject:  

Quote:
I have uploaded 7.0.4.1

Many thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
technosaurus


Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 4834
Location: Kingwood, TX

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr 2015, 04:13    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
@BarryK we could use your help. Its about a system comand which has been around since the dawn of time in Linux (actually Unix in 1983).

It is updatedb/locate.
FWIW this was part of the 4.3 edition that used zigbert's awesome stardust desktop (not sure what happened to it since). updatedb/locate is (or was) also an essential part of gtkdialog that was broken in puppy for ages, but IIRC there is now a somewhat hacky patch in gtkdialog4+ that works around missing locate. I wrote a different hack for gtkdialog1 http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=602798#602798

The only downside to including updatedb/locate, is that either the iso is larger (by including the db) or the first boot is slower because it has to be built (similar to updating module and icon databases)

_________________
Check out my github repositories. I may eventually get around to updating my blogspot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
gcmartin

Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 6730
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr 2015, 04:59    Post subject:  

Thanks @Technosaurus. Many of all the 64bit distros has the combo commands. The commands themselves do not occupy any real size, but, I agree that after arrival upon desktop and when it is first used, that first use will be as a normal find command, while it builds the first db. After which its locate operations would be instantaneous on an up to date db. I don't think a shipped db would be as useful as one which db builds after the system is started and in use with any open local drives. Further, if @BarryK does review the work done by those developers I mentioned, he may opt for the "slocate" along with updatedb. Any or both would be welcomed. I am aware of a past paper which concluded that developers search for files at a much greater rate, than ordinary users. I think we all understand why.

@BarryK,
There is a problem that I think you are already aware with the install utility. I used the 64bit version for 7041 and had 2 issues on the UEFI full install to USB flash:
  1. I selected my USB which was sdc and a utility message screen subsequently indicated it was writing to sdb which at the moment did not exist on my PC.
  2. Later, the utility aborted as unable to write
Hope this is helpful.

_________________
Get ACTIVE Create Circles; Do those good things which benefit people's needs!
We are all related ... Its time to show that we know this!
3 Different Puppy Search Engines or use DogPile

Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 05:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
L18L

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 3431
Location: www.eussenheim.de/

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr 2015, 05:08    Post subject: locate/updatedb  

technosaurus wrote:
The only downside to including updatedb/locate, is that either the iso is larger (by including the db) or the first boot is slower because it has to be built (similar to updating module and icon databases)

Example for time and space:
Code:
# locate --limit 3 spot
# time updatedb

real   0m21.210s
user   0m20.127s
sys   0m1.413s
#
# locate --limit 3 spot
/aufs/devsave/fatdog700saveOLD/etc/network-setup/access/wlan0-KDWLANHotspot+
/aufs/devsave/fatdog700saveOLD/root/spot
/aufs/devsave/fatdog700saveOLD/root/spot/.adobe
#
# ls -l /var/lib/locate/locatedb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2772231 Apr 30 10:34 /var/lib/locate/locatedb
#
Thus including db would make increase size about 2.7M
or (better in my opinion) launch updatedb & at bootup backgrounded.

So yes, inclusion of locate/updatedb seconded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
xanad


Joined: 28 Feb 2014
Posts: 400
Location: 2 locations: MonteRosa Alp and Milano

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr 2015, 06:17    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:

If any translators want to review/update those, using MoManager, or add new ones, please do.
Note, I will also include 'delayedrun.mo' if provided.


it/LC_MESSAGES/delayedrun.mo
it/LC_MESSAGES/installquirky.mo
it/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
it/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
MO-files.tar.gz
Description 
gz

 Download 
Filename  MO-files.tar.gz 
Filesize  32.97 KB 
Downloaded  185 Time(s) 

_________________
www.xanad.tk Html5 Parallax
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
OscarTalks


Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Posts: 1807
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr 2015, 07:53    Post subject:  

First time testing Quirky, live CD of April 7.0.4.1

Might be worth considering compiling latest gtkdialog which is 0.8.4 r514 or something like that I believe. I think you may have to get the source via svn checkout though.
http://code.google.com/p/gtkdialog/source/checkout

The advert blocker needs attention with not only missing icons but the Mvps thing is broken and Technobeta is long dead. I did sort all these things out in Puppy some time back. Tested this version 0.5b that I have and it looks OK at a glance. There was a different version for Woof-CE but I think that is no good for Quirky. Clicking the "Edit" button after running the blocker is a quick and easy way to see what changes have been made to the "hosts" file.
pup-advert-blocker-quirky.jpg
 Description   Modified advert blocker in April 7.0.4.1
 Filesize   100.67 KB
 Viewed   1066 Time(s)

pup-advert-blocker-quirky.jpg

pup-advert-blocker-0.5b.pet
Description  Is this any good?
pet

 Download 
Filename  pup-advert-blocker-0.5b.pet 
Filesize  4.48 KB 
Downloaded  169 Time(s) 

_________________
Oscar in England

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 8676
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr 2015, 09:39    Post subject:  

ozcjp wrote:
Bindee wrote:
BarryK wrote:
The "Puppy Forum" is actually awash with forks and derivatives of Puppy,some of them getting to be somewhat unPuppy-like.


Do you see that as a good or bad thing?

Someone else said a similar thing just recently about a project that things seem to be moving away from the user friendliness of the original puppy idea.


Don't knock the puplets, they are saying something important.
Along with the stated goals of puppy ( http://puppylinux.com/about.htm ) there is another goal that is not always recognised, but has been well and truly met, namely, to create a framework for rapidly building special-purpose systems. The "puplets" ( or "non-puppies, if you prefer ) are just public examples of what I suspect are a vast array of systems, each tailored to a specific task, be it intrusion testing of networks, backing up on the fly, cold booting, you name it. Most of them will never see the light of day, but they all depend on the simplicity and stability that BK created. ( Barry, take a bow please...)
As a simple example; your friend's M$ machine has some sort of hernia and refuses to play. You take you trusty puppy CD, boot it up, and recover all those priceless photos from My Pictures, earning undying gratitude in the process.
A more complex version: install an embedded toolchain onto a running puppy, get all the paths right so that everything works, then re-master th puppy. You have just saved yourself hours of work for the next time you need to work on the code in that embedded device. I could go on, but some of the examples would probably get me into trouble for disclosing proprietory information. So don't knock the puplets, they are pointers to something much bigger.
And yes, I believe this is the right forum to discuss the matter. This is for feedback on the quirky system, probably read by BK himself. And it may just be that with what he is doing with quirky he is taking puppy to another level entirely, and if in the process our inane chatter inspires him in any way at all to keep at it, well, so much the better.


Yes, my comment was spur-of-the-moment.

I think it is healthy to have a lot of diversity and individuals being given freedom to create.

Actually, what prompted my comment was the post from someone who was confused about where to download Quirky.
It is easy for someone to come along to the forum for the first time, and think that Quirky is a release of Puppy.
Ditto for some of the other derivatives that use this forum.

I wonder if there is any way to clarify this, without kicking all the derivatives out?
A separate section for the "official" Puppy releases? -- like, a big dividing line, one side is the official pups, the other side anything goes.

...I dunno, just thinking "out loud".

Just to clarify, this is John Murga's forum, not managed by me in any way.
There is a thread recently started, asking who is John Murga -- I just saw the title, haven't read it.
Way back in the first couple of Puppy-years, I ran Puppy forums, but I found it difficult to do, as well as be a developer. John offered to do it, and said that he was prepared to stick it out for the long haul -- which he has, both hosting and managing the forum, though he is very hands-off as he has a busy job.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Blackfish


Joined: 26 Feb 2014
Posts: 297
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr 2015, 10:33    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
ozcjp wrote:
Bindee wrote:
BarryK wrote:
The "Puppy Forum" is actually awash with forks and derivatives of Puppy,some of them getting to be somewhat unPuppy-like.


Do you see that as a good or bad thing?

Someone else said a similar thing just recently about a project that things seem to be moving away from the user friendliness of the original puppy idea.


Don't knock the puplets, they are saying something important.
Along with the stated goals of puppy ( http://puppylinux.com/about.htm ) there is another goal that is not always recognised, but has been well and truly met, namely, to create a framework for rapidly building special-purpose systems. The "puplets" ( or "non-puppies, if you prefer ) are just public examples of what I suspect are a vast array of systems, each tailored to a specific task, be it intrusion testing of networks, backing up on the fly, cold booting, you name it. Most of them will never see the light of day, but they all depend on the simplicity and stability that BK created. ( Barry, take a bow please...)
As a simple example; your friend's M$ machine has some sort of hernia and refuses to play. You take you trusty puppy CD, boot it up, and recover all those priceless photos from My Pictures, earning undying gratitude in the process.
A more complex version: install an embedded toolchain onto a running puppy, get all the paths right so that everything works, then re-master th puppy. You have just saved yourself hours of work for the next time you need to work on the code in that embedded device. I could go on, but some of the examples would probably get me into trouble for disclosing proprietory information. So don't knock the puplets, they are pointers to something much bigger.
And yes, I believe this is the right forum to discuss the matter. This is for feedback on the quirky system, probably read by BK himself. And it may just be that with what he is doing with quirky he is taking puppy to another level entirely, and if in the process our inane chatter inspires him in any way at all to keep at it, well, so much the better.


Yes, my comment was spur-of-the-moment.

I think it is healthy to have a lot of diversity and individuals being given freedom to create.

Actually, what prompted my comment was the post from someone who was confused about where to download Quirky.
It is easy for someone to come along to the forum for the first time, and think that Quirky is a release of Puppy.
Ditto for some of the other derivatives that use this forum.

I wonder if there is any way to clarify this, without kicking all the derivatives out?
A separate section for the "official" Puppy releases? -- like, a big dividing line, one side is the official pups, the other side anything goes.

...I dunno, just thinking "out loud".

Just to clarify, this is John Murga's forum, not managed by me in any way.
There is a thread recently started, asking who is John Murga -- I just saw the title, haven't read it.
Way back in the first couple of Puppy-years, I ran Puppy forums, but I found it difficult to do, as well as be a developer. John offered to do it, and said that he was prepared to stick it out for the long haul -- which he has, both hosting and managing the forum, though he is very hands-off as he has a busy job.


I agree with everything said here. And I am down 100% with the Official Puppy Page idea, which would obviously need not only to be written, but maintained to a high degree. I really don't think it would be that hard to do. A simple page, with all the ducks... uh... I mean to say, Puppies in a row, and with the latest and best download/site/mirror for each one, making them as user friendly as possible. Likely, most of the writing them up is all done already. They're just spread around and it looks a lot like confusion and chaos. It would be only a matter of copying and pasting the text and links and making it all look pretty, then publishing the page. Can't say for certain, but that's what it looks like to me.

The problem with all the creative minds and their efforts is that things get spread all over the place and it's hard to tell what's what sometimes. They're busy creating stuff, not worrying about what Web pages look like. If so desired, another list could be kept for those Pup forks and derivatives which are headed in a solid direction, and which are noteworthy. The individual creators of the various forks and derivatives should do as great a job as they possibly can in writing up their own creation and presenting it.

I, too, mistook Quirky for another Pup. And I have been correcting my bad grammar wherever I might find it.

I like the forum just the way it is. It's bulletin-boardish style is typical of the creative mind and highly useful. Some threads live a long time, and that is as it should be, and some threads just die--and that is as it should be! I suppose the only thing I don't like about it is that I can't run as many searches as I want, whenever I want. Barring that, the simpler the better.

_________________
Lenovo G50-45 w/ AMD8 processor; running Ubuntu LTS, Tahr Pup, and Quirky.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
gcmartin

Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 6730
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr 2015, 15:40    Post subject:  

Its not a problem but, what "really" is a PUP in 2015.

    Your views:
    Is it the library structures and folder intended usage?
    Is it the manner of adding applications?
    Is it the base apps that are useful for 2015 machines in our presence?
    Is it a RAM based system?
    is it a HDD/USB/SSD based system?
    Is it a system that is ONLY 32bit?
What really is a PUP in 2015?

Time and industry has brought about new levels of ease of use which did not exist a decade ago when many members still had 486s and 64MB RAM. Almost noone, in past 6 years has mentioned those. We are in a new timezone and its time to adapt?

Further, there are also attempts at advancements from the likes of @Gyro, @StemSee, @Kirk-JamesBond, @Mavthol, @01Micko, @TaZoC-Dry Falls, etc which such recent things as "boot either 32bit/64bit", PPM2, WOOFCE, KVM, Kernels to map to any PUP, MTP, Touch, etc. And, even it not specifically mentioned, there much to brag about in advancement presented over the years.

Curious as to what is seen when you look at your own surroundings: PCs, smartPhones, smartDevices, cameras, LANs, tether, routers, TVs, etc.

What do you "really" see? Isn't it time to adjust our prism just a bit. How about SAMBA-V4 to start talking to those things around us just as our Wins/Apples do? DLNA? Simple addition and there are others desktop advances (actually decades old technology) which will be helpful in today's data use environments that the OS addresses and the distros can too.

If a line is "drawn in the sand" can it be drawn with this current understanding to mark the 2nd decade for PUPPY LInux!

Lastly, I, for one, would be in favor of a 10th Year Anniversary Party, online! Very Happy

Merely an FYI post

_________________
Get ACTIVE Create Circles; Do those good things which benefit people's needs!
We are all related ... Its time to show that we know this!
3 Different Puppy Search Engines or use DogPile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3553
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr 2015, 20:51    Post subject: Quirky April 7.0.3 final
Subject description: 7.0.4.1
 

Installed April32-7.0.4.1 to a 32gb SDHC card.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky April, version 7.0.4.1

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 68d9

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1920x1080
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): ati
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse radeon ramdac

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
No problems so far.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   97.5 KB
 Viewed   874 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Bindee

Joined: 19 Jun 2014
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2015, 01:57    Post subject:  

Bindee wrote:
BarryK wrote:
The "Puppy Forum" is actually awash with forks and derivatives of Puppy,some of them getting to be somewhat unPuppy-like.


Do you see that as a good or bad thing?

Someone else said a similar thing just recently about a project that things seem to be moving away from the user friendliness of the original puppy idea.


At no point did i pose the question if there should or shouldn't be other puppy projects , so i have no idea why people are replying as such. Shocked

What i highlighted was forks and derivatives moving away from Barry's user friendliness approach to his projects , hence what i see as getting to be somewhat unPuppy-like , I wondered if he thought the same and if that is what he was hinting at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3553
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2015, 17:39    Post subject: Quirky April 7.0.3 final
Subject description: 7.0.4.1 - dual monitors
 

I tried to compile zarfy and arandr but was unable to get either to
compile so I searched on google for xrandr 2 monitor setup and it gave
several results.
This one is working for me:

xrandr --auto --output HDMI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --right-of DVI-0

I saved it as 2monitors.sh in /root/startup and changed the permissions
to executable.

Yippee!
screenshot2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   47.45 KB
 Viewed   649 Time(s)

screenshot2.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 39 of 52 [770 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 50, 51, 52 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1701s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0314s) ][ GZIP on ]