Simple Screen Recorder

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Pelo

Simple Screen Recorder tested Precise Puppy

#16 Post by Pelo »

Packages Debian available, so no need to compile ( that's a chance, no devx to load, and ... i don't know how to do).
SimpleScreeRecorder is a Qt application. So you need to link the two libraries concerned.
Post-Scriptum : I store a set of Qt libs in my computer, avoiding so increase pupsave size.
:evil: When our Puppies developers will include Qt libraries in the distro instead of 3D ones (useless) life will be better for everybody !
" I try to avoid having to install QT libraries, but that's just a choice really. " mcewanw says. No need to install them in each Puppy, just symlink what is needed.
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#17 Post by mcewanw »

Yes, Simple Screen Recorder is the best such app I've tried. Using it in MintPup. Great program.

William

EDIT: As the author of the program says, this program is designed to be 'Simple' to use, but in terms of underlying program complexity, this is an amazing piece of work. I took a look at the source code and it amazes me someone can write something as tricky as this - its right up there with the likes of mplayer and vlc in terms of coding complexity, but the user interface makes it so easy to use - wonderful work really.
github mcewanw

Pelo

all screencast apps were missing something, not SSR

#18 Post by Pelo »

I am very satisfied by SSR :) all screencast apps were missing something, not SSR... :( but it needs Qt..
demo, video to be improved
Hum, typewriters don't hesitate to load LIbreoffice ! if you prefer a video tnan an hundred of pages of text, Qt MBs would be a good deal. And much less than 350MBs, perharps fourty, in fact 18 ! And non speaking english people will have a to understand the subject.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 14 May 2016, 08:35, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

Why people still ask for screencast recorder apps ?

#19 Post by Pelo »

Why people still ask for screencast recorder apps ? perhaps desktop is not the best section, Multimedia would be better, no doubt about that.
Linux students will take a real pleasure typing some code in terminal, but newbies from windows would prefer a lot to use ready for use (and nice) applications
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

meownplanet still seems down so the download link in first post is dead. Alternative download link here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dk2zp ... gg-0.3.pet

and smaller missing libs pet for Slacko 5.6 (also works on 5.7) here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9dv6z ... bs-0.1.pet

ally

#21 Post by ally »

it was mirrored but lowtech had his page pulled - sorry

:)

Pelo

I throw a stone in France, to check the feed-back.

#22 Post by Pelo »

SSR is around 1.2 MB without dependencies, sure Tahrpup & sons is the perect Puppy for SSR, precise can use it too.
For Slacko, not tested at home..
When SSR available for Slacko, i will install it. Perhaps for Slaxen if Medor decides to compile it for esmourguit. beta version, tested by french colleagues.
I throw a stone in France, to check the feed-back.

greengeek

Re: I throw a stone in France, to check the feed-back.

#23 Post by greengeek »

Pelo wrote:When SSR available for Slacko, i will install it. .
Which Slacko?

Pelo

Slaxen, once released, now being tested.

#24 Post by Pelo »

Slaxen, once released, now being tested. Its the french remasterisation of Slacko 6.3.0
French designer is solving problems. When Slaxen ready for use, i will try new stuff. SSR should work there is no reason not to run with last Slackos, even should replace pAVrecord

mcewanw

#25 Post by mcewanw »

Yes, I'd say pAVrecord is pretty much obsolete now, so I doubt I'll update it to use new ffmpeg features.

Nevertheless, despite the definitely great SSR, I will be releasing a replacement for pAVrecord next week (meant to be this week but was doing some final testing). It looks a bit like pAVrecord, or maybe a bit more like Precord (since all derive from Precord originally) - but interface a lot simpler than pAVrecord, which had too many options in the GUI and didn't focus on screencast anyway (new one used plugins instead).

I'm not saying it is better than SSR (depends on what you want), but it will produce exactly the same quality in its tiny size (as far as I can determine) and has more than a few extra tricks than SSR (and a couple of less features I can't help) and doesn't need Qt libs at all, so maybe still useful from a tiny Puppy creators point of view. Needs ffmpeg of course. Moreover, should definitely should use newish ffmpeg with it, since many improvements in newer ffmpeg. Anyway, SSR is a fine program and i don't mind if my own new app is not used by anyone but myself... but I expect at least a few will find it quite fun to use once they check it out thoroughly. We'll see. I'll upload a pet and leave it available for a few days - if no interest, I'll just withdraw it according to the 'passenger' marketplace demand ;-)

If SSR had been a gtk app I doubt I would have bothered at all, but am quite happy with the result so kind of personally glad I did.

Replaces both Precord and pAVrecord and scrot (screenshot program) since forked version of the latter (included) includes full scrot functionality too.

Of course, bash/gtkdialog apps are very small anyway, so perfectly possible to have both SSR and other recording app on a system - nothing to lose for those that have Qt available inbuilt or as sfs. Think of the new app as a replacement for Precord (though Precord is ok anyway) - but wait and see - I'm just throwing it up there and vanishing on long... holiday a few days thereafter... :-) Possibly my last published effort for the little they were ever worth. Passengers have Ubuntu repositories for all their needs now - small Puppy-like distributions are growing big now anyway.

Actually, I did offer to PM an early copy to Pelo for testing, but he wasn't interested, so if by chance I forget to post it or forget because I was on a hurry to go on holiday... oh well, doesn't matter anyway, I know!!!

Could say that programming it was a complete waste (and long) waste of my time except that I'm enjoying playing with the final result (I didn't enjoy the programming). So that's the only importance for me.

William
github mcewanw

musher0

#26 Post by musher0 »

Hi jlst

I'll be on the lookout for your new "pAVrecorder" or whatever you're calling it!
When you come back from holidays. Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

greengeek

#27 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote: ...doesn't need Qt libs at all, so maybe still useful from a tiny Puppy creators point of view. Needs ffmpeg of course. Moreover, should definitely should use newish ffmpeg with it, since many improvements in newer ffmpeg.
If it is at all possible I would love to see a version of this that operates with the version of ffmpeg that is in Slacko 5.6
I feel there are some very functional bits of software that do not need to be upgraded just for the sake of it. Upgrades carry risks too. How many times do we see security bugs in updates - requiring even more updates to correct. The reason I prefer Linux to Windows is that it used to be possible to make things work in a stable way without continually adding updates. FFmpeg has always seemed pretty stable and reliable to me and I would not willingly "upgrade" it.

mcewanw

#28 Post by mcewanw »

greengeek wrote:If it is at all possible I would love to see a version of this that operates with the version of ffmpeg that is in Slacko 5.6
I feel there are some very functional bits of software that do not need to be upgraded just for the sake of it. Upgrades carry risks too. How many times do we see security bugs in updates - requiring even more updates to correct. The reason I prefer Linux to Windows is that it used to be possible to make things work in a stable way without continually adding updates. FFmpeg has always seemed pretty stable and reliable to me and I would not willingly "upgrade" it.
Well, the trouble is ffmpeg is a bit of a moving target. Even before the avconv fork reaked havoc, people had a habit of compiling different ffmpeg versions with different available choice of encoders, even in official Puppy Linux distributions. For example, for a while some, such as Wary I think, didn't include x11grab (maybe it wasn't available ffmpeg at all at the time, I can't remember), which meant we couldn't write a working ffmpeg screencast app with Wary ffmpeg underneath. Others chose to compile in different aac audio encoders (three of four different onces such as libfaac and so on). And some didn't include libx264. For a while I tried to accomodate for these differences in pAVrecord and Precord. But that was a lot of extra work - I could have developed a couple of new Linux distributions in the time it was taking to test out all the different pAVrecord versions I was making since there can be less programming, if any, involved in that.

I'm still actually pondering whether it is worth publishing a new AV app at all since SimpleScreenRecording is being used by default in some new Pups anyway. Releasing always results in more work eventually, and the criticisms can be painful rather than constructive (no feedback at all is better, since no feeling of obligation involved).

Main thing is that newer ffmpeg is better. These new options, which your Slacko ffmpeg may not have, often fix audio/video sync issues, which have been a major problem in the past. It really isn't worth publishing an app that does a poor job when the likes of SSR is readily available IMO. Nevertheless, I have designed my new app so that it can be modified (by a simple external text plugin of one line of code usually) such that it will 'work' with ffmpeg versions at least as far back as Puppy Precise and also Slacko (but these sync limitations will probably be obvious - so my advice remains that ffmpeg best upgraded).

I'm still pondering/hesitating over releasing a new app anyway, for all these reasons and more. It is finished, and on my own systems, but I'd have to package it all together both for Puppy dotpet and DebianDog deb and I'm lazy to bother if little demand. I'm sure someone will produce a version of SSR for Slacko soon, as Pelo suggests, if they haven't already. I have used it and it has some advantages (though minor ones for me) - I prefer my own app for my own use, since it has some functionality SSR doesn't provide for me, but of course we tend to like our own babies despite any deficiencies they may have.

William

EDIT: Mind you, I suspect SSR needs newer underlying ffmpeg libraries underneath too. I think it uses these too (I don't think it is all built in, but rather uses ffmpeg libs as dependencies - I would have to check).

EDIT2: Yes, SSR also uses ffmpeg libraries and codecs so I'm pretty sure old versions of ffmpeg libs won't do with it at all.

EDIT3: By the way, I purposively avoid newer gtkdialog constructions so that my apps will basically work fine with the old gtkdialog3 available in quite old Pups. So my new app should work even on Wary and maybe earlier, at least as far as general audio recording is concerned (but, as I say, for desktop screen captures the underlying ffmpeg needs x11grab and as far as video recording is concerned, webcams often don't work well if at all with older kernels/drivers).
Last edited by mcewanw on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#29 Post by mcewanw »

musher0 wrote:Hi jlst

I'll be on the lookout for your new "pAVrecorder" or whatever you're calling it!
But who or what is jlst?
github mcewanw

musher0

#30 Post by musher0 »

mcewanw wrote:

But who or what is jlst?
Hello funny guy! :)

:lol: jlst is a "who". He is a very active and resourceful non-robotic (AFAICT! He
reacts like a human...) ;) member of the Puppy development team and of this forum!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

mcewanw

#31 Post by mcewanw »

musher0 wrote:
mcewanw wrote:

But who or what is jlst?
Hello funny guy! :)

:lol: jlst is a "who". He is a very active and resourceful non-robotic (AFAICT! He
reacts like a human...) ;) member of the Puppy development team and of this forum!
I haven't noticed jlst name, thanks for letting me know. However, as far as I am aware, jlst isn't the author of the program pAVrecord.
github mcewanw

musher0

#32 Post by musher0 »

Hello again mcewanw.

jlst is not the author of the simplescreenrecorder, but he's involved with including it in
the Woof-CE process.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

AboutSSR and pAVrecord

#33 Post by Pelo »

AboutSSR and pAVrecord
SSR need QT
pAVrecord needs FFmpeg.
Depending on your Puppy Running, choice will be quite an evidence. Tharpup has QT included. Slacko has FFMPEG included..
Xvidcap has what it needs included in Xvidcap pet, so it will work everywhere.
Only practice can help to choose, and personaly i don't use always the same screen cast app.
With pAVrecord or SSR you choose zone once, you cannot change when recording. Xvidcap allows to change, like your eye moving where there is interest to move
Jump to
.ISObooter, Tuto build with pAVrecord
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 08:37, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

Rerouted to Multimedia !

#34 Post by Pelo »

mikeslr waits for you in mutimedia section topic special SSR, not to continue in desktop section
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

Re: AboutSSR and pAVrecord

#35 Post by mcewanw »

Pelo wrote:AboutSSR and pAVrecord
SSR need QT
pAVrecord needs FFmpeg.
Depending on your Puppy Running, choice will be quite an evidence. Tharpup has QT included. Slacko has FFMPEG included..
Xvidcap has what it needs included in Xvidcap pet, so it will work everywhere.
Only practice can help to choose, and personaly i don't use always the same screen cast app.
With pAVrecord or SSR you choose zone once, you cannot change when recording. Xvidcap allows to change, like your eye moving where there is interest to move.
SSR also needs ffmpeg libraries underneath actually.

The new AV plus screencast app, called weX is now available, it also allows the chosen zone to be moved about whilst recording or to select any window (with or without border) or mouse-selectable area, as you wish. Finally, it allows you to embed webcam image inside the recording, scaled or not scaled:

The finished ddogxcap, renamed weX is now currently available for a short time here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107905

Tested on XenialDog and XenialPup, but currently works best in XenialDog (same or similar quality to SSR and no Qt). in XenialPup, webcam overlay is not so good but works perfectly in XenialDog on my oldish Intel Core-II duo 2GB RAM test machine, so recommended to first test weX in XenialDog to see what to best expect.

William
github mcewanw