Pschedule task at startup

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Freddie1

Pschedule task at startup

#1 Post by Freddie1 »

I am new to pschedule, after looking at it I don't see how to schedule a one time task at boot. Do I choose the "ANY" option from every column?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What do you want to run one time at boot?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Freddie1

#3 Post by Freddie1 »

A terminal application created for the Brother Scanner "brscan skey". It locates the USB connected scanner and makes the connection between the scanner and the PC. Until it is run xsane scanning cannot work.

I also want to have xsane running as part of boot.

I tried using crontab by entering "@ reboot /usr/bin/xsane" but it didn't work

Hope that helps, all I want is that both apps run at startup without any user intervention.

jrb

Re: Pschedule task at startup

#4 Post by jrb »

Freddie1 wrote:I am new to pschedule, after looking at it I don't see how to schedule a one time task at boot. Do I choose the "ANY" option from every column?
Easiest to place your script (or executable) or a link to your script in /root/Startup. That's what it's for.

Scripts in /root/Startup are executed in alphabetical order so make sure they are named in the order you want them to start.

Freddie1

#5 Post by Freddie1 »

Using root/Autostart sounds good but it looks like I may need to do a lot of reading to use it correctly. I found a readme file and it had the following link: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... atest.html

There a lot in this that is new to me so I guess it's off to school again.

I appreciate your suggestion

jrb

#6 Post by jrb »

Freddie1 wrote:Using root/Autostart sounds good but it looks like I may need to do a lot of reading to use it correctly. I found a readme file and it had the following link: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... atest.html

There a lot in this that is new to me so I guess it's off to school again.

I appreciate your suggestion
/root/Startup is different than /root/.config/autostart and quite a bit easier to use.

Autostart is a directory used in many other distros but requires you to either have or create a .desktop file for your script or executable.

/root/Startup has been in Puppy since the beginning and simply requires a copy of your script or executable, or a link to wherever your script or executable is. I believe /root/Startup is unique to Puppy so you will not find info on it except in Puppy documentation or this forum.

If you are not comfortable making symlinks let me know and I will walk you through it.

Freddie1

#7 Post by Freddie1 »

Thanks, I will give it a shot and report back, again I appreciate the help.

Freddie1

#8 Post by Freddie1 »

@jrb: I created a sym link but apparently not in the manner that is needed to startup to use it. My Symlink: ln -s ~/.packages/builtin_files/xsane ~/Desktop/xsane
The symlink was place in ~/.config/autostart

Upon reboot it was not running. I noticed most of the entries ~/.config/autostart had a .desktop extension. I am guessing I have the symlink living in the wrong place as it didn't acquire this extension when it was created.

What am I doing wrong?

Freddie1

#9 Post by Freddie1 »

Feeling foolish, the symlink wasn't to an executable. I since corrected that error but it still doesn work. My link creation: ln -s /usr/bin/xsane ~/desktop/xsane
I then copied the symlink to the autostart directory ~/Startup/autostart/xsane

Freddie1

#10 Post by Freddie1 »

It worked after the reboot....Thanks again for your suggestions.