How to edit the right-click menu? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
pp4mnklinux

How to edit the right-click menu? (Solved)

#1 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:

This is an easy question (I imagine) but ... can you tell me how to edit the right click menu?

---------------
When on your desktop you right click your mouse, a menu appears. I wanna include Firefox as a direct link (without the necessity to go to 'internet' option).

How can I do this (or incluide other programs in it¿?¿?

THANKS A LOT.

--------------------------SOLUTION------------------

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Configure_PuppyMenu

MENU ENTRY MAKER

---------------------------------------------------------

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Attachments
capture26191-400x400.jpg
(25.43 KiB) Downloaded 679 times
Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 04:31, edited 2 times in total.

MochiMoppel

Re: Right Click Menu

#2 Post by MochiMoppel »

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

Why not....
Just click the "Browse..." icon on the desktop?

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Here's another question with first an explanation.

In the opening post, it shows the behavior or a right-click on the desktop?

In LightHouse64 (LH64), for past 4 years, instead, this is the behavior of mouse left-click. Further, LH64 also took further advantage of the mouse to define additional behavior for launches that occur when user right-clicks (apps running in each desktop) and also for middle-clicks (launching a PUP app).

Question
  • Is there a "standard" way that mouse button behavior is defined in PUPs and where is this defined?
Thanks in advance.

L18L

Re: How to edit the right-click menu?

#5 Post by L18L »

pp4mnklinux wrote:When on your desktop you right click your mouse, a menu appears.
No. 8)

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

pp4mnklinux,

What version of Puppy are you using?

There are about 300+ versions.

They all work slightly differently.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

pp4mnklinux

@bigpup

#7 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Must I include this info with every question????

#One or more words that identify this distribution:
DISTRO_NAME='tahrpup'
#version number of this distribution:
DISTRO_VERSION=6.0.2
#The distro whose binary packages were used to build this distribution:
DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT='ubuntu'
#Prefix for some filenames: exs: tahrsave.2fs, tahr-6.0.2.sfs
DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX='tahr'
#The version of the distro whose binary packages were used to build this distro:
DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION='trusty'
#the kernel pet package used:
DISTRO_KERNEL_PET='Huge_Kernel'
DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='yes'
DISTRO_TARGETARCH='x86'
DISTRO_DB_SUBNAME='tahr'
#32-byte alpha-numeric ID-string appended to vmlinuz, puppy_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, zdrv_tahr_6.0.2.sfs and devx.sfs:
DISTRO_IDSTRING='t150205211152ZZZZ6.0.2XXXXXXXXXX'
#Puppy default filenames...
#Note, the 'SFS' files below are what the 'init' script in initrd.gz searches for,
#for the partition, path and actual files loaded, see PUPSFS and ZDRV in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='puppy_tahr_6.0.2.sfs'
DISTRO_ZDRVSFS='zdrv_tahr_6.0.2.sfs'
DISTRO_ADRVSFS='adrv_tahr_6.0.2.sfs'
DISTRO_YDRVSFS='ydrv_tahr_6.0.2.sfs'
DISTRO_PUPPYDATE='Feb 2015'
#multiarch distros, such as Ubuntu, will have this. ex: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu, so DISTRO_ARCHDIR=i386-linux-gnu
DISTRO_ARCHDIR='i386-linux-gnu'

IMPORTANT:

I prefer a software to do this action (like Puppy Menu Editor http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40277 or something like this

THANKS A LOT

------------------------SOLVED---------------------SOLUTION AT:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Configure_PuppyMenu

SOLVED - THANKS A LOT
Attachments
capture29356.png
(101.26 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

rufwoof

#8 Post by rufwoof »

gcmartin wrote:Here's another question with first an explanation.

In the opening post, it shows the behavior or a right-click on the desktop?

In LightHouse64 (LH64), for past 4 years, instead, this is the behavior of mouse left-click. Further, LH64 also took further advantage of the mouse to define additional behavior for launches that occur when user right-clicks (apps running in each desktop) and also for middle-clicks (launching a PUP app).

Question
  • Is there a "standard" way that mouse button behavior is defined in PUPs and where is this defined?
Thanks in advance.
The standard is that there is no standard gcmartin. If you consider Puppy to be comprised of ROX and JWM markup language based components - which in being lean keep puppy relatively small, then the closest thing to a standard is the jwm 'ROOT' section of jwm http://www.joewing.net/projects/jwm/config.shtml#root.

Many pup's that use jwm allocate root 3 (desktop right click) to displaying the main menu, and where that menu is created from the content of each progam/menu/group descriptions contained in /usr/share/applications (which each PET/SFS drops its group/program description into when the pet/sfs is installed). Inspection and interpretation of those descriptions is transposed into /etc/xdg/templates/._root_jwmrc when the command fixmenus is run. That structure permits the menu to be easily changed as programs are added/removed.

However there's no rule that you must use root 3 to invoke the taskbars MENU option pop-up or the same menu popup when right clicking a open space on the desktop. You can change the content of /root/.jwmrc_tray and the content of /root/,jwm to adjust the themes and menu/click arrangements to however you prefer. /root/.jwm/jwm_personal for instance enables you to overide the top level definitions. For instance I like my pup to not display the coordinates of a window being moved as its moved, and for the moving window to be filled as its moved rather than a box outline of the window, so in my /root/.jwm/jwmrc_personal I have a entry of

<!-- The move mode (outline or opaque) -->
<MoveMode coordinates="off">opaque</MoveMode>

i.e. Simple markup language not too dissimilar from HTML - textual descriptions that users/developers can easily change in order to change the graphical interface appearance/actions.

Such easily changed markup language (just run fixmenus;jwm -reload; after markup text changes in order to apply the changes (best to always keep backups as if you mess up the syntax it can leave puppy dead in the water)) means that there's - no standard - similar to how there's no standard for how web pages are laid out. There is of course a standard for the markup language as defined by the jwm provider (as per the earlier link above). ROX is somewhat similar, but uses yet another markup language as defined by its provider.

Some such as myself love that (relative) simplicity (textual changes) non fixed approach. Non coders can dive in and together with a bit of script language knowledge can change puppy to look/feel totally different - just armed with a simple text editor. That's much easier than entering the world of C code writing/compilation etc.

The standard of 'there is no standard' and ease of changes promotes creativity. The 'show us your pup' ease for anyone to change/show their pup in effect creates a standard by common vote/preference. Libertarianism.

Puppy is predominately vmlinuz - the core kernel that boots up a basic/small linux; initrd that contains busybox (most of the unix commands contained within a single program); X windows drivers/code to get a GUI up and running; and thereafter ROX pinboard (desktop/file manager) and jwm (menus) markup scripts together with other shell scripts (i.e.textual interpretted rather than compiled) stuff. Which helps keep puppy lean and relatively easily customisable to whatever character you prefer for your own pup.

Libertarianism is a good thing IMO. I would prefer the right to (within reason) say/do what I like about who/what-ever I like, rather than the dictate of you can't say/do this or that because it might offend another - and when more often that 'other' is a small minority. Unfortunately in the area of the world where I live (and in many other areas also) dictate is on the increase/prevailing - which again IMO leads to a much more boring/less-happy/creative world.

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

+1

rufwoof

#10 Post by rufwoof »

Don't know how well or not this might work with a touchscreen/pad, but if you change the normal bottom left menu button to launch your own menu based on root 1 (rather than the more usual root 3) i.e. in /root/.jwmrc_tray and /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc, then that menu could use just icons only and be sized to perhaps 48x48 menu entry sizes. That way puppy would be a lot more icon based (icons could be created that contained textual descriptions within them) and be more touchpad friendly (controlled by the equivalent of left mouse clicks of either the menu button or a left click on any empty desktop space).

I quickly stripped out the text in the top level menu entries to create the attached image (left second level textual descriptions as it was only a quick and dirty test) and resized the menu entries to 48 height (to correspond with the icon image sizes).

The same menu/icons could equally pop up by left mouse clicking (or touchpad touching) a empty desktop area.

Combined with perhaps grouping menus/icons on different desktops and using the desktop switcher and a puppy derivative could relatively easily be constructed with more touchscreen/pad friendly characteristics, whilst still retaining the old-school style of desktop layout/structure.
Attachments
icons.jpg
(26.18 KiB) Downloaded 599 times

bigpup

Re: @bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

What version of Puppy are you using?
pp4mnklinux wrote:Must I include this info with every question????
Is it really too hard to say I am using "Tahrpup 6.0.2"? :shock:

Ever go to get your automobile worked on?
What is the first thing they need to know?
What model?
What year?

Why would you think Puppy Linux is any different?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

pp4mnklinux

@bigpup

#12 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Excuseme:

You're right... I'll include this info in every post... I'm gonna put it as my signature, so I'll never forget it again. Thanks a lot for your help.

HAVE A NICE DAY

Tahrpup 6.0.2

Bushbuck

Re: How to edit the right-click menu? (Solved)

#13 Post by Bushbuck »

Thanks to those who have dissected the menu system, in this thread and others. Knowing how to use the etc/xdg/templates _root_.jmwrc was a help.

For the menu, if you are using an old Microsoft keyboard with a "Menu" key, you can probably stick the usual Puppy menu onto it with

Code: Select all

<Key keycode="115">root:3></Key>
inside the JWM tags in your jwmrc-personal file. It worked for mine, and helped since I'd got used to the key.

PS, I hope I'm not pointing out the obvious, but using the command-line "xev" is a great way of discovering all the other keycodes you can commandeer, on a fancy keyboard.

Former Slacko 5.6er, currently using Tahr Puppy 6.0.

pp4mnklinux

thanks everyone

#14 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Thanks for your answers.
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0