Question re: Linux wallpaper file format

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
GarySmith

Question re: Linux wallpaper file format

#1 Post by GarySmith »

(Sorry for the stupidness of thought--must be too early AM. Edited.)

There are a number of really great looking Linux desktop wallpapers on the Internet (Google "Linux wallpaper") and I've built a collection being a Windows user.

Lately, I've created my own wallpaper but can't seem to match the same graphic file format found in those Linux types mentioned above. I'm not sure what's going on with these "compact" versions. Yes, I've tried exporting to JPG and PNG formats among other attempts. There seems to be some other graphic file format or reduction I've yet performed.

It just can't be that hard to accomplish.

Gary
______

bpejinov

Linux Wallpapers

#2 Post by bpejinov »

GarySmith

Re: Linux Wallpapers

#3 Post by GarySmith »

bpejinov wrote:Best Kollektion Linux wallpapers
http://technology.desktopnexus.com/cat/linux/
Make your Linux Wallpapers!!!
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97080
This URL brings me back to here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97080

Thanks anyway and will check back later.

Gary
______

sketchman

#4 Post by sketchman »

I don't understand what you're asking.

What's the problem with the wallpapers you create?

It's a pretty simple process. You need to know what resolution you need, and then you just save that size image.

Not sure what you mean by "compact" either.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Terry H

#5 Post by Terry H »

There is no sorcery in using images as wallpaper. If you look in /usr/share/backgrounds you will see a selection of image files which are all .jpg, or .png.

I use jpeg files from my camera or downloaded images. Depending on the image resolution, you can choose how you want the image to be displayed, stretched to fill, unscaled, etc.

If you are having difficulties with files you have created, possibly there is some incompatibility with these files.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Post a link to something you are talking about.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

GarySmith

JPGs?

#7 Post by GarySmith »

Thank you all for trying to help me help myself and perhaps what I think is enough information may not be, so please bare with me on that point.

With Windows (just about any version) I can export from my CorelDraw program into any file format but usually BMPs have been that file format Windows uses for wallpaper.

I realise that Puppy wants a JPG and when exporting such a creation into a JPG and placing into "user/share/backgrounds" the file shows up but the image does not appear as a wallpaper.

My assumption is the JPG is too large a file size??? as other JPGs of the Linux variety and I've downloaded many off the Internet.

So, the question is why can't I get my JPGs to show up as a Puppy wallpaper. Sure wish I could tell more than this. I'm a long-time and experienced PC and software user. This should be a simple and straight forward issue.

Thank you,

Gary
_______
Last edited by GarySmith on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 23:45, edited 5 times in total.

GarySmith

#8 Post by GarySmith »

bigpup wrote:Post a link to something you are talking about.
I want this image top, left to be made a Puppy wallpaper.

http://heraldry.mysite.com/

Anyone can copy this and work with the file format.

Thank you,

Gary
_____

sketchman

#9 Post by sketchman »

Do you have the image in layers? For instance it would help a lot if you could upload the background separate from the foreground. It's difficult to enlarge a gradient like that. Or just upload in a format that can save layers, and I can fix it for you.

Also what size?

1024x768, 1280x720, 1920x1080, etc.

GarySmith

#10 Post by GarySmith »

sketchman wrote:Do you have the image in layers? For instance it would help a lot if you could upload the background separate from the foreground. It's difficult to enlarge a gradient like that. Or just upload in a format that can save layers, and I can fix it for you.

Also what size?

1024x768, 1280x720, 1920x1080, etc.

Sketchman, 1024x768. From your question there does seem to be a level I'm not understanding separating the foreground from the background. Not sure I understand why Puppy would need one layer over another.

In the work I'm doing a "gradient" is shading of elements within the drawing so I see we're really off in my understanding the nouns here. Wow! Wish we could get this figured out better. Just not sure how to communicate what you mean or I understand.

Usually wallpaper is exported as an entire work and not layers and pieces.

Gary
______

sketchman

#11 Post by sketchman »

Hmm. OK.

The background of your image is what's called (iirc) a spherical gradient from white to the parchment color at the edges.

What I would need is the background layer separate from the art in the center. So I can resize the whole thing without stretching the center image out of proportion. So you would get a full gradient parchment background like you have, but you'd have it in 1024x768.

I won't save the layers for the actual wallpaper file. Just need them for working.

I can do it without the layers, but it would be far easier with them, and I can promise a much better product with layers.

GarySmith

#12 Post by GarySmith »

Sketchman,

I'll think about this process overnight. It's late for me and will have to reread your answer tomorrow.

With the graphic experience in my background I'd like to do the process for myself and any graphic project.

Must go for now...

Gary
_______

sketchman

#13 Post by sketchman »

I understand that. If you want to try some things, I'd recommend saving to bmp from Corel, then opening it in GIMP and saving to jpg. Maybe Corel is doing something weird to the file that Puppy doesn't understand. IDK.

Here's a quick and dirty one.

No layers so I extended the background manually with a pattern brush, and moved the copyright note to the far bottom right as you had it in the original.

Click for full size.

GarySmith

#14 Post by GarySmith »

sketchman wrote:I understand that. If you want to try some things, I'd recommend saving to bmp from Corel, then opening it in GIMP and saving to jpg. Maybe Corel is doing something weird to the file that Puppy doesn't understand. IDK. ....

You really did some work for this effort. You all know I'm a real Puppy user. But...something strange is happening and maybe it could be something else than our efforts.

When I placed your graphic into the "user/share/backgrounds" directory, went to the desktop and selected for that graphic as wallpaper it went to a plain light gray for desktop paper.

Something for us to think about I presume. All wallpapers but 3 others have been deleted and then the latest coat of arms used.

I'm curious but do want it to work. Don't want anyone to give up on this one but let's think about this situation. Presume the graphic works as your wallpaper?

Thank you,

Gary
______

CatDude

#15 Post by CatDude »

Hi

Not sure why you are having issues setting your wallpapers,
but i had a few minutes to spare so i threw this together.

CatDude
Attachments
gary_r_smith_1858b_25.jpg
(185.29 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

GarySmith

CatDude's Wallpaper

#16 Post by GarySmith »

CatDude,

Here was the error message when using the latest wallpaper version and it looks pretty good to me. Right off the screen:

(Graphic, red circle with minus sign to the left.)
Error loading backdrop image: Failed to open file '/user/share/backgrounds/Gary': No such file or directory
Backdrop removed.

True, Gary is not the file name. The background shows a light gray screen. Am going back to regular Puppy wallpaper. No tricks here by anyone--but why? I'd really like to personalize my Puppy a bit more.

Gary
______
Last edited by GarySmith on Mon 09 Mar 2015, 17:32, edited 2 times in total.

GarySmith

#17 Post by GarySmith »

CatDude wrote:Hi

Not sure why you are having issues setting your wallpapers,
but i had a few minutes to spare so i threw this together.

CatDude
Thanks for doing this effort.

Gary
_______

sketchman

#18 Post by sketchman »

GarySmith wrote:
sketchman wrote:I understand that. If you want to try some things, I'd recommend saving to bmp from Corel, then opening it in GIMP and saving to jpg. Maybe Corel is doing something weird to the file that Puppy doesn't understand. IDK. ....

You really did some work for this effort. You all know I'm a real Puppy user. But...something strange is happening and maybe it could be something else than our efforts.

When I placed your graphic into the "user/share/backgrounds" directory, went to the desktop and selected for that graphic as wallpaper it went to a plain light gray for desktop paper.

Something for us to think about I presume. All wallpapers but 3 others have been deleted and then the latest coat of arms used.

I'm curious but do want it to work. Don't want anyone to give up on this one but let's think about this situation. Presume the graphic works as your wallpaper?

Thank you,

Gary
______
Oh it was no trouble at all. Probably 10 minutes to do it.

That is very weird. Yeah, I can use it as a wallpaper just fine. So you can use the included backgrounds, but not any new ones?

That doesn't make any sense. Have you tried comparing the permissions of one of the included backgrounds to a new one that you want to use?

GarySmith

File Permissions

#19 Post by GarySmith »

Sketchman: That doesn't make any sense. Have you tried comparing the permissions of one of the included backgrounds to a new one that you want to use?

Yes, I will have a look at this issue next. Thank you.

Gary
______

GarySmith

#20 Post by GarySmith »

Sketchman: That is very weird. Yeah, I can use it as a wallpaper just fine.

That would seem to narrow the subject down to my load / PC.

Both the wallpaper files on my Precise Puppy 5.7.1 are set:

Permissions set at: a + x (Make executable / searchable)

Properties check mark on: Owner, Group, World and Write.

Gary
______