Geany as Launcher, Bookmarks Manager, and Word Processor

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Puppus Dogfellow

another way to launch to vtg

#16 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
[...]
the following guide assumes jwm. you can use rox panels or alter the menu code for other windows managers if you don't have it/prefer not to use it.
another way to activate the line launch function is through aemenu and the following launch command activating the menu that follows it:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

#aemenu -rc /root/vtgz
#name mae and place in /root/my-applications/bin/
killall -q aemenu
sleep 0.1s
aemenu -rc /root/vtgz    

cmd " vtg" vtg
menu "defaults/original puppy desktop"
cmd " audiomixer" defaultaudiomixer
cmd " audioplayer" defaultaudioplayer
cmd " browser" defaultbrowser
cmd " calendar" defaultcalendar
cmd " cdplayer" defaultcdplayer
cmd " chat" defaultchat
cmd " chmviewer" defaultchmviewer
cmd " ~ 'Chooser' ~" /usr/bin/defaults-chooser
cmd " connect" defaultconnect
cmd "console" "urxvt"
cmd " contact" defaultcontact
cmd " draw" defaultdraw
cmd " email" defaultemail
cmd " htmleditor" defaulthtmleditor
cmd " htmlviewer" defaulthtmlviewer
cmd " imageviewer" defaultimageviewer
cmd " mediaplayer" defaultmediaplayer
cmd " notecase" notecase
cmd " paint" defaultpaint
cmd "puppy package manager" "ppm"
cmd "puppy control panel" "pcp"
cmd " spreadsheet" defaultspreadsheet
cmd "screen shot" "tas"
cmd " texteditor" defaulttexteditor
cmd " textviewer" defaulttextviewer
cmd " videoplayer" defaultvideoplayer
cmd " wizardwizard" wizardwizard
cmd " wordprocessor" defaultwordprocessor
cmd "Xlock setup" "/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun -configure"
cmd "Xlock lock screen" "/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun -locknow"
end
 menu "rox"
 cmd "rox /" "rox /"
 cmd " ~ ROX-Filer ~" "rox ~"
 cmd " Close All Rox" "cr"
 cmd " rox Recents " "rr"
 cmd " rox Bookmarks" "rb"
 cmd "applications" "rox /usr/share/applications"
 cmd "/etc" "rox /etc"
 cmd "/mnt" "rox /mnt"
 cmd "/mnt/home" "rox /mnt/home"
cmd "my-applications" "rox /root/my-applications/bin"
cmd "my-documents" "rox /root/my-documents"
cmd "rox /tmp" "rox /tmp"
cmd "rox /root/.Trash" "rox /root/.Trash"
end 

menu "launchers and consoles" # beginning of menu
cmd "findnrun" "fnr"
cmd "gexec" "gexec"
cmd "grun" "grun"
cmd "lxterminal" "lxterminal"
 cmd "pexec" "pexec"
cmd "prun" "prun"
cmd "roxterm" "roxterm"
cmd "rxvt" "rxvt"
cmd "sakura" "sakura" # program to launch
cmd "urxvt" "urxvt"
end # end of menu 
menu "supplemental 1" # beginning of menu
cmd "close all desktop instances" "cadi" # program to launch
cmd "close current desktop instances" "ccdi" # program to launch
cmd "partview" "partview" # program to launch
cmd "lxtask" "lxtask" # program to launch
cmd "htop" "htop" # program to launch
cmd "winswitcher" "winswitcher"
cmd "jwm -restart" "jwm -restart"
cmd "5copies" "5copies"
cmd "5copiesDir" "5copiesDir"
cmd "nwp" "wp"
cmd "left full" "b5"
cmd "right full" "b10"
cmd "slocate search all" "slac"
cmd "slocate search limited" "sloc"
cmd "slocate update databases" "sluc"
cmd "spacefm" "spacefm"
end # end of menu 
menu "supplemental 2" # beginning of menu
cmd "chromium" "chromium"
cmd "firefox" "firefox"
cmd "galculator" "galculator"
cmd "gcolor2" "gcolor2"
cmd "gfnrename" "gfnrename"
cmd "gfontsel" "gfontsel"
cmd "goldendict" "goldendict"
cmd "google-chrome" "google-chrome"
cmd "palemoon" "palemoon"
cmd "pfind" "pfind"
cmd "recoll" "recoll"
cmd "xpad-backup" "xpad-backup"
cmd "xpad-clear" "xpad-clear"
cmd "xpad" "xpad"
end # end of menu
 menu "jwm menu maker" # beginning of menu
cmd "jwmxx-leafpad-grab executables" "cd /usr/share/applications; grep Exec= *.desktop | grep -o 'Exec=.*' | cut -f2- -d'=' > /root/my-documents/Text/jwmxx; leafpad /root/my-documents/Text/jwmxx
cmd "jwmxx-geany-grab executables" "cd /usr/share/applications; grep Exec= *.desktop | grep -o 'Exec=.*' | cut -f2- -d'=' > /root/my-documents/Text/jwmxx; geany /root/my-documents/Text/jwmxx
 cmd "make a menu entry" "jwmkr"
cmd "add the menu template" "jwmenuplate"
 menu "ae menu maker"
cmd "ae menu item maker" "aeae"
cmd "ae menu slot maker" "aeaem"
end
end # end of menu
#menu "supplemental 3" # beginning of menu
#end # end of menu
#name vtgz and place in /root to be able to launch it with the mae script above/change location in mae to reflect change in location or title of vtgz
menu also more or less recreates the stock desktop. more on other functionality (menu automation, etc) can be found here and here.

if you're using rox, you can give yourself a keyboard shortcut without actually having to fiddle with a windows manager. just drag the script to the desktop, right click, choose edit, then click the box for set keyboard shortcut. whatever combo you press with be recorded. winkey +l, m,v, or g all sort of make sense...

aemenu as vgt launcher upgraded

Puppus Dogfellow

vgt2: geany plugins plus spell check dictionary, kb config,

#17 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

vgt2

files/folders included (not including the contents of root3 (jwm customizations/spell check dictionary) folder or the four thousand miniscripts in /nwp:
geany.conf keybindings.conf;
directories: geany, plugins, nwp (subdirectory root3 contains jwm stuff), dependencies (xdotool, wmctrl, pexec, dash, gexec--ae menu gets placed in a /bin automatically when you run the set up script.)
ael f np t pwn np2 pxc
aemenu
gnyvgtsetup.readme
gny-vgt-setup
click_this_first (opens the read me, the jwmrc-personal file you may need to alter (if you are using vgt in a way that circumvents jwm, you have no need for it, though the nine root menus do come in handy, and since learning how to do it, i always include at least one one pixel placeholder menu so i can easily access the five mouse buttons. sample trays below)

from the readme:
just automated some of the below, but it's here to show what's going on with the install script (which should've opened up with this along with your jwmrc-personal file). you'll need to include one of the following two lines for the vgt button, the nine other menus (and the tray that holds them), and some programs that call on key presses and menu navigation to accomplish things(though this largely just affects the menus in the dub55 folder, two or three of the shortcut keys in jwmrs2 call upon them). both JWM files should've opened when you clicked the script. jwms leaves more room for your own customizations (these files are largely keyboard shortcuts/key assignments) and jwms2 uses dozens (though virtually none that involve the windows key--you can add hundreds more by using it in combination with others), some of which may override your own so give it a once or twice over before committing to it.

<Include>/nwp/root3/jwms</Include>

<Include>/nwp/root3/jwms2</Include>

both files pointed to also include an

<IconPath>/nwp/root3/icons</IconPath>

line, which will allow you to load your icons (any image files will do) into a folder (/nwp/root3/icons) the machine knows to look in, freeing you from having to enter the full path for it to show on your menus.

the install script is:

cp -f -R geany/ /usr/lib/geany/
cp -f -R   plugins/ /.root/config/geany/
cp -f -R keybindings.conf /root/.config/geany/
cp -f -R geany.conf /root/.config/geany/

cp -f -R  nwp/ /

cp -f -R aemenu /bin/
cp -f np /root/my-applications/bin
cp -f ael /root/my-applications/bin
cp -f pxc /root/my-applications/bin
cp -f f /root/my-applications/bin
cp -f t /root/my-applications/bin

chmod 755 /root/my-applications/bin/pxc np/root/my-applications/bin/ ael/root/my-applications/bin/ aemenu/root/my-applications/bin/

#enter
# jwm -restart
# for the tray to show
it's copying over geany's required plugins, configuration files, the entire nwp folder and its subfolders, the one dependency that isn't a clickable pet, a few helper programs, the required spell check dictionary for geany's plugin, and all the jwm files and then setting the proper permissions. first time i ever made anything like this...(i caution you about this fact again below. it should work--it's mostly just copying stuff for you. i'm sure there's a way (sed?) i could have the machine add the <Include>/nwp/root3/jwms</Include> line automatically, but you may want to get the files on your geany history anyway/modify your own or the incoming customizations. (and the command didn't quite jump off a google search into my brain/fingers).

another thing the includes line is doing is copying over four, one pixel wide trays so you can access the five mouse menu buttons without having to minimize any windows. section looks like this:

<Tray x="200" y="1">
<Spacer width="1" height="1"/>
</Tray>
#t

<Tray x="1" y="200">
</Tray>
#l

<Tray x="-1" y="200">
</Tray>
#r

<!-- <Tray x="200" y="-25">-->
<!-- <Spacer width="1" height="1"/>-->
<!-- this one gives a strip above the lower taskbar (you may need to make it 28 if you want to use it. the one below this commented out tray makes the one pixel strip beneath the lower tray--you can access the the five mouse buttons by placing it anywhere on the lower edge of your screen. the other three uncommented trays do the same for top, left, and right. i personally prefer the show desktop button on the top middle autohidden tray along with the dock. this frees up space on the main tray.
</Tray>-->
<!-- #d-->

<Tray x="200" y="-1">
</Tray>
<!--#d-->

<!-- this and this-->
<!--are comments.
it's a way to toggle stuff on and off. surround text you don't want to affect anything with them.
->

<!--
older:
contents of the click_this_first script:

#!/bin/sh

geany gny-vgt-setup /nwp/root3/jwms /nwp/root3/jwms2 gnyvgtsetup.readme /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal

maybe should've uncommented the jwm -restart line at the end of the install script. i think if you do the click-this-first script and then install the dependencies, it's unnecessary since jwm-restart will have been run by the package manager when it installed the pets. if you don't have the top middle hideaway screen after the dependencies are taken care of and the click-this has been clicked, enter jwm-restart in a terminal or do it through the gui. personally, i think the ten buttons should be reduced to five (6-0. the one pixel border is a whole bunch of instances of buttons 1-5, and alt+0-9 is all ten menus...) and the dock moved to top middle autohidden. (quieter/less blinky and a good location for the clipboard.) you could also move the bottom tray over a pixel to access the wallpaper/mouse buttons.

anyway, this should be the easiest way to get vgt functionality (and then some). here are some of the launcher shortcut functions (terminal, menus, buttons, mouse, keyboard, and launchers should all work together and complement one another...) mentioned in the linked post:

1 single monitor menu
2 double monitor menu
g grid menu
x x axis menu
y y axis menu
w width menu
h height menu
mv move
wn windows menu
mx maximize window
o old windows manipulation menu
s new version of supplemental menus

n is the original nwpus menu, n1 is the full word-processing menu without any of the supplementals. it has n2 and n3 as submenus but gives some prominence to the overall document formatting commands from from n3; n2 is just the highlight and click to apply word processing/html code section, and n3 is the paste and place section of the main (word processing) menu.

it's often quicker to have the machine spit out the tags and leave the placement to you rather than have it auto delete then recreate the the text with the tags in place. the following menu just pastes the beginning and end tags for various formatting functions--it's up to you to paste them and/or follow the instructions that get printed along with them ("instructions" usually something no more than "delete this and put your text here to preserve breaks and spaces. all this other stuff is not visible when the document is viewed in a browser," and frequently something a good deal less.)

all items are set to work on active window.

some other useful pxc shortcuts (enter the bold text in the modified pexec launcher to by-pass the menu popups and enter the commands to their right directly (adapted from the earlier http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 711#846711)):
Quote:

some pxc shortcuts of note:

s# send active window to desktop#
s#s send next clicked window to desktop#
d# go to desktop#
c plus a single letter is normally a close command--cr, close rox; cu, close urxvt terminals; ct, close rxvt Terminal.
pp# --change pinboard
p# --change/toggle four panel set frame (can be altered down to one)
my# --swap out custom jwm configurations
gea3 --edit custom jwm configurations
la, lb, lm ---layer above, below, middle/normal for active window
las,lbs, lms ---layer above, below, middle/normal for selected window
stk, ustk --stick unstick active (add an s for the click to select version)
pv2--partview and rox /mnt
rr --rox recently visited
rb1 --four (iirc) rungs down on the rox bookmarks menu
rup --three rungs up from the bottom of the rox bookmarks menu
wp-- access the nwp area of one of the root menus
w5 --access the quadrants, halves, and wholes area of one of the root (jwm) menus
pcp --access pup control
fnr --find and run
hlx -- htop in an urvxt window and lx task ...
ppm is a built in for package manager (will work without pxc launcher or anything having been symlinked to /root/my-applications/bin)
x# move to # on x-axis (increments of (now) 5)
y# move to # on y-axis (increments of (now) 5)
h# width (increments of 5)
w# width (increments of 5)
rs resize
t terminal (set for my-applications/bin, so launchable from terminal or np/nwp/pxc launcher)
f findandrun (also set for my-apps/bin)
np nwpus launcher2
sd -- speeddials
sdr -- speed dials recent list only
gnysys -- open a slew of config files in geany
3but -- speed dials and a version of winswitcher
ws -- winswitcher (also ctrl plus spacebar).
galc -- galculator
some new launcher commands:
nc: notecase
gd: goldendict
t: terminal (set for rxvt--uncomment your choice)
f: findnrun (default for /nwp/f--change what's commented to change default)
5c: print out the template command for making multiple copies of a file
5cd: print out the template command for making multiple copies of a directory
7c: print out the command for changing permissions of a script to executable (kind of lazy--chmod 755 isn't that involved...).

enter "mbm" in the nwp launcher (or click on that file in /nwp) to get rox bookmarks on the jwm menus
edit: add <Include>/root/places_submenu</Include> to your menu if not using the root menus from /nwp/ninemenus55 or /nwp/ninemenusblanks (they're just relatively blank). function/script courtesy of MochiMoppel. to change the location of the file it creates, enter geany /nwp/mbm into the terminal (or send it through the vgt after pasting the line to your scrap file, notes file, and/or,etc.), alter the second line, and change the includes line to match. restart or reload jwm to see the menu the script creates from the file it generates.

1g0-1g30 grid out the screen. first number is down the y axis in steps of 100, starting with 0; second number is x axis divided by 100. select versions replace the g with an s: 1g0 is upper left corner, 7s20 sends the next thing clicked to 600y, 2000x. increments of 100 for the grid, 10 for movement along x and y axes, 5 for height and width though square presets (bare #) are by tens.

add an s to make the code work on a window to be clicked rather than the active one (examples: x440, y750s, w435, h1275s)

anyway, this should be the easiest way to get these features. a couple of clicks and a couple of highlight and pastes. a control esse or two...

enjoy, critique, improve the install script? i plan on using it on my next fresh install, which i should be able to get to in a few days. in the meantime, it's all tested and working except for the install script (gny-vgt-setup, though mockups of the individual parts were tested), so test away (preferably on pfix=ram setups).

enjoy.

:D

______

here's an improved launcher based on pexec.

and here's a pet forgeany 1.24.1if you want/need it (thanks to slavvo and tested in precise and slacko).

Puppus Dogfellow

networking through the vtg

#18 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

new section for the/a vtg help/scrap file:
networking: (ctrl+f if the file's long and this not in an easy to spot spot. add a z if you have too many "networking" entries in the vtg scrap file...)

ifconfig; rox /; xdotool type '`'; xdotool sleep .4 type 'python -m SimpleHTTPServerWithUpload'; xdotool sleep .3 key Return #enter http://[the wlan inet address that printed out in terminal window (i.e. ctrl 7, terminal tab has the info)]:8000 in the address bar in the client machine's browser to upload and download to the server (address will look something like "192.168.1.2"). if you want to share something more specific than the entire file tree and your machine is lagging behind, increase the sleep time. if it seems to be delaying for no reason, reduce it. this was set on a 1 gig dell netbook running precise 571.) in short and without the "inet addr:" (once you know it, no need to get the virtual terminal involved at all. "inet addr:"--is how the terminal prints it out/what you should be looking for):

rox /; xdotool type '`'; xdotool sleep .4 type 'python -m SimpleHTTPServerWithUpload'; xdotool sleep .3 key Return
# replace "/" with the directory and subs you want the other machines on your network to be able to upload to/download from.

store the addresses/launch the client-browser:

http://:8000 # computer 1
http://:8000 # computer 2
http://:8000 # computer 3
http://:8000 # computer 4

http://(paste_inet_number_here):8000

open with the browser of your choice:

dillo http://(inet-number-here):8000 # ex 1
firefox http://(inet-number-here):8000 # ex 2
google-chrome http://(inet-number-here):8000 # ex 3
palemoon http://(inet-number-here):8000 # ex 4
chromium http://(inet-number-here):8000 # ex 5

ex:
on server:

ifconfig; rox /root/my-documents; xdotool type '`'; xdotool sleep .4 type 'python -m SimpleHTTPServerWithUpload'; xdotool sleep .3 key Return

on on client:
dillo http://192.168.1.2:8000
---

if you have a multi tabbed terminal, you can run the commands inside a tab, then terminate by closing the tab--no need for rox (i've only been able to get the multi tabbed vte that comes with geany to work in 64 bit--don't recall actively trying to, so it may be a plugin that's exclusively part of 64 bit package of some sort). to run it in without rox, ditch the xdotool bits and change rox to "cd"--this will just make the terminal/terminal tab act as the terminal the grave/tilda (`/~) key would call up inside a rox window (i.e. no need to change directory since you're already there with the first rox command and no need to use rox to open and close the pathway to the machine with the tabbed terminal since just closing the tab from which you launched the command closes the gate). in other words, since geany's (usual) vte holds the terminal hostage while the gateway is open under the cd version of the command, it is better to use rox folders and their called terminals to run it unless you have one of the rare multi-tabbed vte/vtg's/it seems things go more smoothly with the rox version of the command although the cd version is actually more direct/shorter:

ifconfig; cd /path/to/clientdirectory; python -m SimpleHTTPServerWithUpload
it takes over the terminal window/tab , but you wouldn't need to call xdotool

dependencies/original thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 132#415132

on my precise 571 i needed to use Python-2.7.2-i486.pet--neither the lucid python dependency nor the 2.7 python dependency (which worked in various precise 571/2 spins) was able to run the Simple..Server.. command.

-----------
and here's a pet forgeany 1.24.1if you want/need it (thanks to slavvo and tested in precise and slacko).

plugins plus geany 1.25 by corvus

tallboy

#19 Post by tallboy »

bonus: make the geany pileup code less useless by adding nine jwm root menus
Oh yippee! Sorry, but I don't need many additions to my puppys, as a matter of fact I always try to shrink them. I have never seen any reason for geany to be the hingepin in a wheel of functions, so while I respect your creativity, I respectfully decline the invitation to join the party.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Puppus Dogfellow

#20 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

tallboy wrote:
bonus: make the geany pileup code less useless by adding nine jwm root menus
Oh yippee! Sorry, but I don't need many additions to my puppys, as a matter of fact I always try to shrink them. I have never seen any reason for geany to be the hingepin in a wheel of functions, so while I respect your creativity, I respectfully decline the invitation to join the party.

tallboy
while no case can be made for the nine additional menus actually shrinking puppy, they add a negligible bit of bytes. having gotten used to having them, i'm now rather dependent on them and feel any pup without them is crippled and in need of these textual prostheses. not having something useful pop up with every mouse press or scroll on a blank spot of real estate? what a waste and what an inconvenience--i press left, i get almost everything i want...middle is some of the stuff i forgot to include, right is original plus some stuff i think it should have (the vgt button, word processing functions, rox bookmarks, a menu consisting of all the other menus plus show desktop, since i got rid of it to make space on the main tray...also, who needs that menu button for left click when now i have five for the device...). everything within reach yet completely out of the way. not trying to sell it, don't care who uses it, merely developed it to my tastes and made it public because that's the linux way. or the puppy way. or the murga way. in some way, it seemed like the thing to do. also, it's convenient for when i want to grab or find things i've found helpful in the past, which brings me to the next point:
I have never seen any reason for geany to be the hingepin in a wheel of functions, so while I respect your creativity, I respectfully decline the invitation to join the party.
i respectfully acknowledge and accept your respectfully delivered decision, but you, tallboy, are from what i gather somewhat of an old hand at this. i'd be somewhat surprised if i had anything to offer someone with as much experience as you, although i humbly thank you for the compliment with regards to my creativity. truth is, until i found rcrsn's script, or until it was pointed out to me (can't remember which at the moment), networking under linux made me somewhat queasy, or at least uncomfortable to the point that i avoided it beyond what i could accomplish through cloud services and Teamviewer. this is much faster and resource friendly, and the storing of the codes in a file i access with alt+g (alterable by changing some text, something that pops up as one of the geany pile up files--jwmrc-personal is a good file to have access to if you want to customize a stock puppy) makes it convenient. so while it may seem like i'm engaging in an exercise of bloat-the-genie, i'm just adding to something that's making my life easier, so to speak. it makes it easier and faster to get things done. for me and in my experience. who wants to use it, change it, avoid it--this doesn't concern me. geany is almost as light and quick as a terminal, and people use terminal based editors, so what i'm doing here doesn't strike me as that off the wall. i like it as a text editor/word-processor (limited, yes, but tabbed and just about the fastest around--also syncs through files in cloud service folders better than anything else i've tried), but i'm slowly (as in newby to linux/maybe second year of not being uncomfortable with the terminal) appreciating command line and this is a really good way to keep track of it, see what you are sending, etc. it's certainly better for that purpose than the scroll back function the up arrow gives, especially when it comes to finding and reusing something.

if some of the code i have down is wrong or doesn't work or it could be done in a better way, it would be nice to know, though. so far, it's there because it's worked for me, helped me out with something, or i can conceive of some situation where this bit of text or that can or will be useful or part of something useful.

--darren

somewhat coincidentally, i was considering adding to that same geany pile up code. i wanted to add the rox template stuff--adding to the right click > new menu saves time and effort. copying a text file would be quicker than manually hunting down templates/files and drag-dropping them. kind of lost momentum...i think i just wanted to find it easily--i made a xz folder of the six or so files i want as templates...two just to see what they do...

Puppus Dogfellow

Geany as a Word Processor

#21 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:puup!.tar.gz (19kb)
also in xz flavor: puup!.tar.xz(17kb)
from the readme:
a minimalistic word processor that uses built in apps (text editors and browsers). copy the nwp directory to /; requires xdotool and dash (full nwp requires aemenu and wmctrl as well). use shift plus spacebar or something else that's easily pressed to launch the launcher. I give you pu(/)up! (actually, i think it's pretty good). anyway, here's the newest update and documentation:

all wp codes launch paste and place version of nwp commands rather than the highlight and apply versions. included nwp commands:

bb -- bold
bb2 -- span tags for bold fonts or other, non default font choices (bold tags don't appear to work though the nwp's underlining and italics tags show the expected results). default is for monospace, same as po1, po2, po4 (the latter two are templates, po1 is an xdotool "spit this code" script/a backup of the main (monospace) template).
book -- older version of one of the docs--customize if you like
bpo -- open the default template files in a browser so you can see the line spacing, highlighting, etc. use gpo to edit what the command calls and what browser gets opened
bq -- block quote tags
f - findnrun, optional but recommended
gpo -- open the browser, leafpad, and geany configuration files for the nwp word processor plus the default default templates in geany.# geany /nwp/po1 /nwp/po2 /nwp/po3 /nwp/po4 /nwp/po5 /nwp/po6 /nwp/gpo /nwp/lpo /nwp/bpo /nwp/bb2
h1-h6 -- print out tags for headings 1-6
her -- open the hr template in geany
herl -- open the hr template in leafpad
hero -- open the hr template in geany
hr -- print out hr tags
hr0 -- open the hr template in geany
hr0l -- open the hr template in leafpad
hr1 -- spit out hr doc template
hrl -- <hr> tag, 35%, grey left side
hrr -- <hr> tag, 10%, grey right side
hrt -- template for autopage breaks with hr tag. called by other scripts.
ii -- italics tags
link -- external form of the toc tags
lp -- launch leafpad
lpo -- leafpad /nwp/po2| leafpad /nwp/po4 /nwp/po5| leafpad /nwp/po6| leafpad /nwp/lpo (open the wp template files in leafpad; open the file that determines what leafpad opens
mono -- open monospace template with geany
mono1 -- spit out monospace doc template
monol -- open monospace template with leafpad
monot -- monospace template
np02 -- pu(/)up launcher (configured to begin with a highlighted /nwp/)
p -- pu(/)up launcher configured to start at the end of /nwp/
pb -- <par style="page-break-after: always"></par>
pba -- <par style="page-break-before: always"></par> (a=above)
po -- open po2
po1 -- print out an improved version of the preotry template
po2 -- (template--po1 without the mini-wait--use clone (under documents menu) or save as to preserve the file)
po3 -- geany /nwp/po4 /nwp/po5 /nwp/po6 /nwp/po2
po4 -- template as 14 pt monospace
po5 -- template as 14 pt sans
po6 -- template as 14 pt serif
pr -- print out paragraph tags
prc -- print out paragraph centered tags
prj -- print out paragraph justified tags
prl -- print out paragraph left tags
prr -- print out paragraph right tags
q -- cite tags
san1 -- spit out sans serif doc template
sans -- open sans template with geany
sansl -- open sans template with leafpad
sanst -- sans serif doc template
ser1 -- spit out serif doc template
serf -- open serf template with geany
serfl -- open serf template with leafpad
sert -- serif doc template
sub -- subscript tags
sup -- superscript tags
t -- launch terminal of your choice (delete/comment sakura and uncomment or add your choice)

toc and tic paste bookmark/hyperlink codes. good for tables of contents, master documents, etc. on the editing side, you can make bookmarks in geany with ctrl+m, which will also toggle it off. ctrl plus comma is previous bookmark, control plus period is next bookmark. the plugin for numbered bookmarks makes a list on the side panel (unless that's default and i can't just can't figure out how to work/access the plug in version):

tic -- tic same page template and anchor --new tab
tic1 -- external page or same or external file, no anchor -- same tab
tic2 -- external page or same or external file with anchor -- same tab
toc -- toc same page template and anchor, same tab (general bookmarks). look up your text editor's method for bookmarking for the edit text (also non formatted) view.
toc1 -- external page or same or external file, no anchor -- new tab
toc2 -- external page or same or external file with anchor -- new tab

to open files in geany at specific location, append :line#:column# to the file, i.e. geany /nwp/docs/file1:50:14

ul -- underline
v -- activate vtg
xp -- launch xpad/new xpad

------------------

templates:
#geany -i /nwp/templates/0 /nwp/templates/00 /nwp/templates/01 /nwp/templates/02 /nwp/templates/03 /nwp/templates/04 /nwp/templates/05 /nwp/templates/06 /nwp/templates/hero /nwp/templates/hr01 /nwp/templates/mono01 /nwp/templates/readme /nwp/templates/sans01 /nwp/templates/serf01

tip: use geany -i to open whole directories or other large batches of files each in their own instance of geany. save
tip two: right click on a blank space in a rox window, click new, customize, and then drag selected contents of the included templates window to the folder that popped up--you will now be able to make new docx, odt (these two if supported by your system's installed applications) nwp documents (four templates) with a right click in any rox folder.
tip 3: highlight and middle click in geany or highlight and drag to xpad or leafpad windows to gather paths for easy batch-launching in the future.

to get rid of the headers and footers that most browsers are set by default to use, file > print >options and alter the six boxes to your liking (method works for seamonkey, firefox, chromium. can't find print on dillo, haven't as yet tried palemoon or opera or ...).

pick a browser and editor to use--other than the vtg specific command and the two that call other programs, all these wp commands should work on pretty much anything.

dependencies: dash, xdotool

copy or symlink files to /nwp or /root/my-applications/bin.

(locations other than /nwp will need a few tweaks, though /root/my-applications/bin should be virtually effortless. off path locations for the folder of commands require additional tweaks to two other files...

also of potential use/interest:

while the underlining (ul), italics (ii) and other tags worked in all the browsers i tried, the bold tags worked in none, leading me to discover the span tag. this allows easy control of the default font for the document as a whole while also allowing for easy switching up of text size, color, format, etc. line spacing is set by your actual key presses--the pre tag makes sure what you do is what you get as far as how it's all laid out on the page, but you can swap spacing in sections or whole documents with the search and replace function (in geany--leafpad's a bit more limited, i think) and regular expressions (i.e. to switch single spacing to double, replace \n with \n \n--new to it, but i think it will work. choose whole document or selection, tick the "use regular expressions" box.) from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 113#860113

to take fullest advantage of the speed and simplicity of nwp and pu(/)up, the launcher should be given a shortcut such as shift plus space bar.

---p.dogfellow, 8/15

(double u instead of w because of the optional, yet to be released but you have it if you add this version of nwp to the last version and subsequent updates Utilities Pack, i.e. it's not just a Word Processor.)

good to know: most browsers can save as pdf it seems.
from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 360#860360

for these spins it's just a drop in improvement pack--add to nwp, overwrite conflicts. if you know in advance rox's asking if it's okay to overwrite will get on your nerves (it shouldn't--i think there are fewer than ten conflicts) use spacefm for the move.
from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 361#860361.

if you've gotten this far in this thread, you may already have /nwp and a launcher, so the same applies--just overwrite conflicts in the existing /nwp folder. if you want the launcher that says puup (maybe it says "pu(/)up" or "pu(/)up!"), you'll have to swap launchers (it's the same as the previous version apart from the name, though the folder has over eighty new files since the last update, i think).

copy or clone the launched templates to preserve them. the launcher will spit out replacements with mono1, ser1, san1, hr1 (alter these files to make your own templates).

to easily get a dual view of a document with the vtg, highlight some of the files you're working on and paste (middle click) in a geany document. add geany in front of the lot you want to open in tabs. copy the line and swap the geany for your choice of browser to open those same files in tabs with that program. open either with the vtg (alt+z or one of the menu or tray buttons), v in the launcher (with the previous pack), or by pasting the code into a terminal. refresh to see the updates/don't refresh to keep older versions and views hanging around/open the tabs in more than one window to create a time machine of versions (adapted fromhere.).

launcher requires dash.

Puppus Dogfellow

some more on word processing

#22 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 696#860696
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:

for these spins it's just a drop in improvement pack--add to nwp, overwrite conflicts. if you know in advance rox's asking if it's okay to overwrite will get on your nerves (it shouldn't--i think there are fewer than ten conflicts) use spacefm for the move.

don't copy over sup, use sp and sb (for super and subscript) instead; both are included in the attached upgrade pack. the fixed sup menu is also included in the update in case you overwrote it or want a bug fix (some of the entries called scripts from /my-applications/bin instead of /nwp/).

tip: to easily edit or access specific files in /nwp (if you know the code to call them, you know their names and the path is already there for you), add the command, press home, add rox, geany, leafpad (or a browser* if you're viewing a word processing file), then a space, then hit enter. the program you chose will open the file. to manually fix the menu called by aemenu when s is pressed in the launcher, add /nwp/ to the non-system commands in the text file, /nwp/sup.

make a launch bed of geany launchers: get a print out of what you're working on, edit it, convert it to syntax the vtg or a terminal can use with find and replace > \n with space:

geany --list-documents > /root/my-documents/Text/list.txt; geany /root/my-documents/Text/list.txt--make a table of launchers/tables of content launchers. place geany or geany -i in front to launch a batch separately or to add to what you've already got open.

for more specific control in *read/formatting/print preview mode, use

Firefox options: firefox --new-window; firefox --new-tab; firefox --private-window (no history);
Palemoon options: palemoon -new-window; palemoon new-tab
SeaMonkey options: -new-window; -new-tab; -new-instance (from the help, "open new instance, not a new window in running instance.")

i.e. browser (options) (or [file path]). here's some use ... 700#860700
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Tue 18 Aug 2015, 01:41, edited 2 times in total.

Puppus Dogfellow

word processing three: open file(s) in editing mode,

#23 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

with regards to the templates, you could use the icons to make file associations--make a .tnr for a times new roman based template (or your template one, since it's so default or default-seeming...), a .cour or .mon or .ser or .san etc and right click run associate, right click set icon for type--this way the document "types" will be clear at a glance. anyway, one more minor update before the full update, which will include better help files. possibly. here's the updated pu/up: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUDhE ... sp=sharing
it's got some icons for the launcher, the templates, the folders, as templates for you to alter, ...
nope, the setting associations by icon didn't work (machine knows it's an html file), but the following script works, and it allows you to simultaneously open a document or batch of documents in the editor (geany automatically opens batches in tabs) and browser (firefox set as below opened all files sent through the script in tabs. spacemonkey (with no options) didn't. didn't test any other browsers, but palemoon, opera, and chrome/chromium likely behave as firefox does. dillo has no print function or preview from what i can tell. use your choice or a system default):

#!/bin/sh
#pwp --a tiny word processor (of sorts).  
#exec defaulttexteditor "$@"| exec firefox "$@" 
exec defaulttexteditor "$@"| exec firefox "$@" 
#exec defaulttexteditor "$@"| exec defaultbrowser "$@" 
#exec [uncomment and and pick your defaulttexteditor] "$@"| exec [...defaultbrowser] "$@" 

# in puup or any other nwp launcher, it'd be pwp path/of/file(s). in a terminal or from the vtg, /nwp/pwp (paths to file(s)), 
#ex: /nwp/pwp [/path/to/file1]   or  /nwp/pwp [/path/to/file11 /path/to/file1212 /path/to/file1112] 
#this will open the file in viewing mode and editing mode simultaneously.  
#i recommend putting the browser's print button somewhere on the main interface for convenience (print preview) and the 
#file browser button many have can be pretty handy as well. i'm 
#using firefox for my default browser choice because it will open up multiple files dragged to the script using it, 
#whereas seamonkey stops at the first one. haven't tweaked its settings or tried other
#browsers or text editors, but this works in the terminal, as a nwp-launcher command, as a desktop 
#item for drag and activate (highlight one or more files in a folder, drag to the script whether it's
#on a panel, the desktop, or a folder), through the vgt, and through the rox right click entry for open-with.

as the comments state, this works in the terminal, as a nwp-launcher command, as a desktop item for drag and activate (highlight one or more files in a folder, drag to the script whether it's on a panel, the desktop, or a folder), through the vgt, and through the rox right click entry for open-with.

place the browsers print button on the main interface for easy access to print preview.

tip: to easily toggle between edit mode and view mode (or edit, view, and print preview), send the browser window to a different desktop (and optionally do the same for the pop up print preview window, which unfortunately has no refresh button that i can see, making it a bit less quick/useful, although it could represent an earlier edit than the browser window, itself reflecting an earlier version of the text you're working on in geany, which seems to have unlimited undos per session, even allowing you to undo after a save has been made, something LibreOffice cannot do or isn't set up to do). in most puppies, go to desktop is alt+#1-0 for the ten desktops. you can send 1-24 and go to 1-24 with s[1-24] and d[1-24] in the puup launcher if you're launching from the full nwp folder.

seem to have forgotten the built-in shortcut for accessing the windows menu in stock puppies (alt+f2? alt+f12?)...with the launcher calling from full /nwp, it's wn (layer, sticky, send to, etc). you may have to alter that script for windows managers other than jwm.

with regards to the templates, you could use the icons to make file associations--make a .tnr for a times new roman based template (or your template one, since it's so default or default-seeming...), a .cour or .mon or .ser or .san etc and right click run associate, right click set icon for type--this way the document "types" will be clear at a glance. anyway, one more minor update before the full update, which will include better help files. possibly. here's the updated pu/up: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUDhE ... sp=sharing
it's got some icons for the launcher, the templates, the folders, as templates for you to alter, ...
nope, the setting associations by icon didn't work (machine knows it's an html file), but the following script works, and it allows you to simultaneously open a document or batch of documents in the editor (geany automatically opens batches in tabs) and browser (firefox set as below opened all files sent through the script in tabs. spacemonkey (with no options) didn't. didn't test any other browsers, but palemoon, opera, and chrome/chromium likely behave as firefox does. dillo has no print function or preview from what i can tell. use your choice or a system default):
the file association to icon as group by way of dummy extension idea didn't work, but that rox right click to set icon feature is still very useful--set things by category or whimsy: any image file can be an icon for any other file in puppy, it seems. but if you want to stick with the theme of icons for word processing (i tried to use wp (for word processing) as a dummy extension but the machine picked it up as a word perfect file...nice idea, word perfect, whatever you are...), the ones i made and dissed earlier aren't too bad, though the first screenshot leaves transparent looking bright white. the second one shows two of the icons in their natural transparency and scale:

Puppus Dogfellow

word processing four

#24 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

i suppose it's more of a typewriter...

here are some guides for setting up line breaks, line wrapping, and font choice:

mono/courier/courier new 11 breaking column: 75
serif 12: 99
sans 12: 80
nimbus condensed monospace 14: 110

left, right, and center are all what you'd expect, but justify doesn't work out as nicely as on a full word processor. use search and replace and tick the use regular expressions box, swap \n for a space (one blank white space), hit enter, right click the section, choose format > reflow lines. if you're not concerned with underlining and multiple fonts and don't want the hassle of making sure lines don't run off the page, printing from leafpad is probably best (no line wrapping markers in the default view, no auto-line breaking capability and so makes reshaping text a bit easier, though i suppose you could just toggle that off in geany. another strategy for nearly justified text would be to set the font small in the text editor and use the zoom settings in the browser's print dialog to come close to a justified page. for actually banging out pages of wood and ink, i think it's maybe better to think of this word processor more as an advanced archiving typewriter and pdf maker (pdfs can be bare black and white text or portable sections of the internet, it seems--i'm just a noob who wants something that never breaks--leafpad and geany never break...) and poetry producer--that requires no changes to the basic document format of the templates (maybe one more and some new launchers in the next pack) and preotry (pre tag bug fix in next pack as well), the proto-template, was in fact devised because i noticed what text makers do to lines sometimes and thought it'd be nice to make that behavior optional (it's still pretty cool for comments sometimes). if you're primarily concerned with printing something out and don't care about underlining and other formatting, print from leafpad or geany (there must be a way to shut of the line wrap markers from showing). dillo has a little less capability than the other browsers being discussed, but it always opens new batches in tabs in a new window and it is super fast. the new pack uses it as reference material pop-up with the following:

#!/bin/sh
#dil. place in /nwp and/or /root/my-applications/bin
dillo www.google.com www.dictionary.com www.murga-linux.com/puppy http://www.etymonline.com/
you can get rid of the close dialog and set other preferences in /root/.dillo/dillorc.

since dillo doesn't respond to the code changing font color, invisible page breaks (those done in white--use the quasi-visible text slots as quick find anchors or as a variation on comments) are visible in dillo--you can use the reference popup to check them. tip: if you don't fill out the title tag in editor view, dillo will give every word processing tab a tiny blank marker that's of less help than ctrl page up and down.

leafpad and seamonkey don't open batches of files dragged to them or sent to them in tabs as default behavior and so seem like a natural match--seamonkey can do the tabs with a little extra fiddling around, i'm sure, and already has the print preview that dillo lacks--this seems to be the next most capable and second fastest set up. so dillo has no print preview or print to pdf capability, but you can use geany or leafpad to print. speaking of which, if you're not using this as an exercise in minimalism but rather for speed and convenience, the main use of the view/read mode (apart from readability and hyperlinks/bookmarks/functional tables of contents) is to copy and paste your formatted (spacing and otherwise) text into zoho, google docs, libre office, box.com, word, textmaker, or any other document handler that will be more likely to be handling the final form of your work, though between the majority of browsers having save to pdf capability and rcrsn51's peasy_pdf making it easy to cut apart and rejoin those documents, this really can be a stand alone solution in many cases. palemoon and firefox take minimal resources to open ten or twenty of these document type tabs, but dillo takes about a thirtieth it seems. (10 vs 300 mb usage at first run with a batch; adding to an already running instance seems to add less overhead to both palemoon and firefox...dillo opens a new window with a new batch of tabs each one is dragged to it...it's really very quick but insists on the file:///path/file syntax rather than the syntax the other browsers (and nearly all puppy programs, it seems) accept, /path/file (unless you're doing it through the terminal, vgt, or a launcher--in those you can use /path/to/file). they've all got buttons or other methods for opening files, so interplay between the interfaces should be pretty smooth. to navigate tabs in dillo:

ctrl+page up -- tab left
ctrl+page down -- tab right

to navigate them in geany:

Ctrl-Shift-PageDown Move document right
Ctrl-Shift-PageUp Move document left
Ctrl-PageDown Switch to right document
Ctrl-PageUp Switch to left document

-----------

in short, you're basically working with a super advanced typewriter (but getting back to basics) and justification is a bit more difficult than other formatting for our purposes here. for formatted text, you'd need to use the template and print from a browser. quick print, use geany or leafpad. want to open 100 100 page text files instantly and copy the text back and forth between a dozen locations? use geany. want multiple views of the text in various stages in development, use the dual launchers or open the batch in a browser as well (vtg or terminal).

---

regarding rox, there is probably no faster way to navigate folders or create files than rox with short cuts set. right click to go to the create new file dialog and press a letter--now every time you are in a rox folder and press that letter, a copy of that document type will appear for you to retitle/save as in that location. ctrl+1-0 gives you speed dials to ten locations, ctrl+b is book marks (you can short cut open parent in new window to get a freebie bookmark/dual plane set up. you could also make a bookmark of a folder of symlinks to launchers, files, programs, directories, etc).

erase keycuts with backspace. if your rox filer doesn't appear to support the right click short cut keys, see this post by Cat Dude:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... fb3#354862

--------

here's a shot of the dual launchers (one is actually the folder containing the dual launchers):

most are set to open geany in a new instance or existing instance plus open the same files in either palemoon, chrome, chromium, firefox, dillo, or seamonkey. alter the icons as you see fit--i'm not savvy enough to figure out how to link the image with the file so they stay linked regardless of where the pieces end up, so they're just going to be included along with the scripts.

:)

______

documentation fix: i mistakenly stated the winswitcher shortcuts were ws (really width, select) and win (really, like wn, the windows menu). the real shortcut (apart from ctrl plus spacebar) is ww in the launcher or /nwp/ww in the vtg.

documentation fix 2:

i forgot to document two scripts in the previous pack, htopp and htops, which respectively resize and place an active and a selected window to the central htop position you can see in this screenshot. rename and alter the code (get current geometry of windows with winswitcher f1 or right click menu, wmctrl -l -G in a terminal, or new terminal in distros (~572-p575) with the wmctrl bash prompt mod) to make custom versions. new pack will have q1-5 and sd1-5 (or some equivalent) to give it /nwp launcher shortcut equivalents for the dual monitor's a1-10 and b1-10 (windows sized and moved by quadrant, half, and whole/center).
from here. (only applies if you're using the /nwp launcher or some variant, though the positional scripts can easily be made shortcut keys in jwm and likely other window managers as well.

----

folder view shows more versions:

yellow and red in the middle for geany colors, but that started to seem silly after a while. also, palemoon's icon could be used for explorer wine--i'd probably shrink them for personal use. shot shows 1rx1 icons--it's a rox filer window that for some reason has decided to no longer display huge icons when asked (sorry for the lack of clarity).

edit:

some further info on the rox glitch: i had never encountered this error before so i went back and undid something else new to the set up, i reset rox > options > drag and drop back to the default settings (unticked delete) and the icon problem went away--rox can again show huge icons (changing the settings didn't quiet rox's permission-asking ways, so no gain from the change).

Puppus Dogfellow

update that's also a stand alone install script

#25 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

script installs the launchers (copies them to folders and sets their permissions) and some updates:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:this next update is also a stand alone install script, but it just means you get two extra sets of main (shift plus spacebar) nwp (now pw,n) launchers--one in /nwp and one in /root/my-applications/bin. this one's got the q1-10, some rox shortcuts, more dual launchers for the nwp word processor (or any time you feel like opening text documents in browser tabs at the same time you open in an editor). it's got the autotext entries--mostly navigation, launching, and omission correction.

here's the script:

#!/bin/sh
#dual launchers for the word processor aspect. also, it's a stand alone install script
#no longer requires dash (optional--just swap out the sh for dash if you've got it/prefer it)
mkdir -p /nwp
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany -i "$@"| exec firefox "$@"
' > /nwp/gif
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec defaulttexteditor "$@"| exec firefox "$@"
' > /nwp/tef
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany "$@"| exec firefox "$@"
' > /nwp/gf
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec defaulttexteditor "$@"| exec defaultbrowser "$@"
' > /nwp/def
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"| exec firefox "$@"
' > /nwp/lff
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany "$@"| exec defaultbrowser "$@"
' > /nwp/gb
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany -i "$@"| exec defaultbrowser "$@"
' > /nwp/gib
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"| exec defaultbrowser "$@"
' > /nwp/leb
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"| exec seamonkey "$@"
' > /nwp/leafy
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"| exec dillo "$@"
' > /nwp/dlll
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany "$@"| exec seamonkey "$@"
' > /nwp/ges

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany "$@"| exec dillo "$@"
' > /nwp/ged

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany -i "$@"| exec seamonkey "$@"
' > /nwp/gis
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany -i "$@"| exec dillo "$@"
' > /nwp/gid
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"| exec chromium "$@"
' > /nwp/lec
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"| exec palemoon "$@"
' > /nwp/lep
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany -i "$@"| exec chromium "$@"
' > /nwp/gic
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany -i "$@"| exec palemoon "$@"
' > /nwp/gip
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany "$@"| exec chromium "$@"
' > /nwp/gc
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany "$@"| exec palemoon "$@"
' > /nwp/gep
echo $'
!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"| exec opera "$@"
' > /nwp/lop
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"| exec google-chrome "$@"
' > /nwp/lgc
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany -i "$@"| exec opera "$@"
' > /nwp/gio
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany -i "$@"| exec 
google-chrome "$@"
' > /nwp/gigc
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany "$@"| exec opera "$@"
' > /nwp/
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
exec geany "$@"| exec google-chrome "$@"
' > /nwp/ggc
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
[ -z "$history" ] && history="/nwp/"
# create and run dialog
CMDLINE=$(yad --width=350 --skip-taskbar --center --on-top --fixed --sticky \
              --title="pw,n" --window-icon="gtk-execute" \
              --entry --entry-label="Run command:" --editable \
              --column="command" --entry-text $history)
# if the command line is empty, exit now
[ -z "$CMDLINE" ] && exit 0
# run the command
$CMDLINE &
exit 0
' > /nwp/np5
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
/nwp/np5| xdotool sleep .2s key Right
' > /nwp/pwn
cp /nwp/np5 /root/my-applications/bin/np5
cp /nwp/pwn /root/my-applications/bin/pwn
chmod 755 /nwp/pwn /nwp/np5
chmod 755 root/my-applications/bin/pwn /root/my-applications/bin/np5
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt
' > /nwp/mnt
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /tmp
' > /nwp/tmp
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /etc
' > /nwp/etc
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /root/my-applications/bin
' > /nwp/mybin
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /root/.config
' > /nwp/conf
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
 rox /etc/xdg/templates
' > /nwp/jxdg
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /bin
' > /nwp/bin
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /root/.jwm
' > /nwp/jwm
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /usr/share/applications
' > /nwp/apps
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/home
' > /nwp/home
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /root/my-documents/
' > /nwp/mdoc
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdd1
' > /nwp/sdd1
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdd2
' > /nwp/sdd2
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdd3
' > /nwp/sdd3
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdd4
' > /nwp/sdd4
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdd5
' > /nwp/sdd5
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdd6
' > /nwp/sdd6
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdc1
' > /nwp/sdc1
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdc2
' > /nwp/sdc2
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdc3
' > /nwp/sdc3
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdc4
' > /nwp/sdc4
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdc5
' > /nwp/sdc5
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdc6
' > /nwp/sdc6
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdb1
' > /nwp/sdb1
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdb2
' > /nwp/sdb2
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdb3
' > /nwp/sdb3
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdb4
' > /nwp/sdb4
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdb5
' > /nwp/sdb5
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sdb6
' > /nwp/sdb6
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sda1
' > /nwp/sda1
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sda2
' > /nwp/sda2
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sda3
' > /nwp/sda3
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sda4
' > /nwp/sda4
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sda5
' > /nwp/sda5
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /mnt/sda6
' > /nwp/sda6
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
rox /nwp
' > /nwp/pack

chmod 755 /nwp/sdd1 /nwp/sdd2 /nwp/sdd3 /nwp/sdd4 /nwp/sdd5 /nwp/sdd6
chmod 755 /nwp/sdc1 /nwp/sdc2 /nwp/sdc3 /nwp/sdc4 /nwp/sdc5 /nwp/sdc6
chmod 755 /nwp/sdb1 /nwp/sdb2 /nwp/sdb3 /nwp/sdb4 /nwp/sdb5 /nwp/sdb6
chmod 755 nwp/sda1 /nwp/sda2 /nwp/sda3 /nwp/sda4 /nwp/sda5 /nwp/sda6
chmod 755 /nwp/ggc /nwp/go /nwp/gigc /nwp/gio /nwp/lgc /nwp/gif /nwp/def /nwp/gf /nwp/tef /nwp/def /nwp/lff /nwp/gb
chmod 755 /nwp/gib /nwp/led /nwp/leafy /nwp/dlll /nwp/ged /nwp/ges /nwp/lop /nwp/gep /nwp/gc /nwp/gip /nwp/gic 
chmod 755 /nwp/lep nwp/gid /nwp/lec /nwp/gis /nwp/ged /nwp/leb /nwp/mnt /nwp/pack
chmod 755 /nwp/home /nwp/mdoc /nwp/apps /nwp/jwm /nwp/bin /nwp/jxdg /nwp/conf /nwp/mybin /nwp/etc /nwp/tmp

cp /nwp/tophalf2 /nwp/q8
cp /nwp/bottomhalf2 /nwp/q9
cp /nwp/lefthalf2 /nwp/q6
cp /nwp/righthalf2 /nwp/q7
cp /nwp/fulla  /nwp/q10
cp /nwp/upperleftquadrant2 /nwp/q1
cp /nwp/upperrightquadrant2 /nwp/q2
cp /nwp/lowerleftquadrant2 /nwp/q3
cp /nwp/lowerrightquadrant2 /nwp/q4
cp /nwp/lp5a  /nwp/q5
 echo $'#!/bin/sh
xdotool type \'<pre></pre>\'
' > /nwp/pre
cp /nwp/xpad-clear /nwp/xpc
cp /nwp/xpad-backup /nwp/xpb
 echo $'#!/bin/sh
xdotool key alt+0 Down Down Right
#large menu submenu on the root0 menu
' > /nwp/wm
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
/nwp/sfs-java.sh; rox /tmp/java-sfs 
' > /nwp/jv 
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
geany  /nwp/at1 /nwp/at2 /nwp/at3 /nwp/at4 /nwp/at5 /nwp/at6 /nwp/at7 /nwp/at8 /nwp/at9 /nwp/at10 /nwp/at' > /nwp/ate
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
winswitcher
#/nwp/winswitcher
' > /nwp/ww
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
#!/bin/sh 
xdotool type \'#--------------------------- \'
' > /nwp/c-
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
xdotool type "
echo $\'
(content--script spits out a sample create-file-with-content template)
\' > (path to file)
"
' >  /nwp/cnt
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
tas
' > /nwp/tas
echo $'#!/bin/sh 
tas
' > /nwp/tas
echo $'#!/bin/sh
xdotool key ctrl+9 ctrl+8 Return ctrl+7
' > /nwp/v
 echo $'#!/bin/sh
xdotool type "
#!/bin/sh
xdotool type \'\'
#place desired output between the \' and \'
# use double quotes to get single quotes to show
#name something brief and run with gexec/pexec/a terminal with a convenient shortcut
#or give it its own shortcut key --ati version has info/comments
"
' > /nwp/ati
 echo $'#!/bin/sh
xdotool type "
#!/bin/sh
xdotool type \'\'
"
' > /nwp/atx
chmod 755 /nwp/pre /nwp/xpb /nwp/xpc /nwp/wm /nwp/q1 /nwp/q2 /nwp/q3 /nwp/q4 /nwp/q5 /nwp/q6 /nwp/q7 /nwp/q8 /nwp/q9 /nwp/q10
chmod 755 /nwp/jv /nwp/ate /nwp/ww /nwp/c- /nwp/cnt /nwp/tas /nwp/atx /nwp/ati /nwp/pcp /nwp/v
#alter the last part of the cp lines to change the name of the new file being created
#fixes some omissions and a mistake in pre script, gives quick call names to some of the shortcuts for single monitors.
#q series is quarter sized up to five (which is configurable and centrally placed); 
#q6 and q7 set the active window to left and right halves of the screen respectively
#q8 and q9 are top and bottom. q10 is full/maximized (as is mx). 
#q1     q2                    q8                         
#     q5                    q6    q7          
#q3     q4                    q9
#pcp requires puppy control panel:  http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61961
#tas requires take a shot: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84528
#f requires find and run: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=835582#835582
#xpc and xpb require xpad 
#the complete pack requires aemenu, dash, wmtrl, xdotool, and the /nwp folder 
#t requires you to pick a terminal if the terminal you have is not sakura.
# some nwp directories may be missing winswitcher:  http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=799058#799058
echo $'#!/bin/sh
xdotool type \'\'
#Place desired text output between the single quotes above.
#at -- autotext---place in /nwp or a bin. make a series and activate with at...' > /nwp/at
cd /nwp; for f in at{1..10} ; do cp at $f ; done
chmod 755 /nwp/at1 /nwp/at2 /nwp/at3 /nwp/at4 /nwp/at5 /nwp/at6 /nwp/at7 /nwp/at8 /nwp/at9 /nwp/at10 /nwp/at 
#edit with ate; atx spits out a new autotext template.
dual launchers (text editor and browser) for the Nooby Word Processor/nwp:

ggc -- geany, chrome
gigc -- geany new instance, chrome
gio -- geany new instance, opera
lgc -- leafpad, chromium
gif -- geany new instance, firefox
def -- default text editor, default browser
gf -- geany, firefox
tef -- default text editor, firefox
lff -- leafpad, firefox
gb -- geany, default browser
gib -- geany new instance, default browser
leb -- leafpad, default browser
leafy -- leafpad, seamonkey
dlll -- leafpad, dillo
ged -- geany, dillo
ges -- geany, seamonkey
lop -- leafpad, opera
gep -- geany, palemoon
gc -- geany, chromium
gip -- geany new instance, palemoon
gic -- geany new instance, chromium
lep -- leafpad, palemoon
gid -- geany new instance, dillo
lec -- leafpad, chromium
gis -- geany new instance, seamonkey

more shortcuts now available to the Nooby Uber Utility Pack
sda[1-6]-sdd[1-6] -- open those partitions
the following will open in rox if entered in the pw,n launcher: mnt, home, mdoc (opens root/my-documents), apps (opens usr/share/applications), jwm (/root/.jwm), bin, jxdg(etc/xdg/templates), conf (/root/.configure), mybin (/root/my-applications/bin), etc, tmp, and pack (/nwp).

at, at[1-10] are autotext scripts. atx is the template, ate will open the 11 in geany for you to edit/rename. single monitor setups now have similar nwp shortcuts as doubles:

q series is quarter sized up to five (which is configurable and centrally placed);
q6 and q7 set the active window to left and right halves of the screen respectively
q8 and q9 are top and bottom. q10 is full/maximized (as is mx).

q1     q2                    q8                         
     q5                    q6    q7          
q3     q4                    q9
some deps, recs, and links:

pcp requires puppy control panel: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61961
tas requires take a shot: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84528
f requires find and run: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5582835582
xpc and xpb require xpad

some other included shortcuts:

xpc -- xpad clear
xpb -- xpad back up
cnt -- spit out the code in those echo sections from the script above that allows you to create files with predetermined content (cnt--content)
c- -- a comment line that looks like this: #------------------
tas -- SFR's take a shot
pcp -- radky's puppy control panel
ww -- MochiMoppel's WinSwitcher
v -- vtg

---------

set permissions and run as a script or dump the code into a terminal and press enter.

it's not necessarily the pack i'd include as the starter kit, but this is all more or less new to this thread and so won't require as much overwriting as the batch with more forethought would have.

enjoy.
from the nwp thread

---

so that's the update (still not done with the icons or restructuring of some of the subfolders in the launcher), but all those rox shortcuts brings up a geany shortcut: ctrl+shift+o opens any file with its path highlighted--it's sometimes easier to have a batch of paths in a file or grab a path from a file you're working on (or near) than to navigate through a file manager or tree plugin (which is still very handy). even with the vgt, you'd have to add "rox" in front of a path to be able to navigate there--lots of convenience to be discovered in geany...

Puppus Dogfellow

another update

#26 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:icons are largely what's in the screenshots from earlier. a few added. substitute as you like either through editing of the desktop files (the icon = bit) or right clicking in rox and chosing file (or dir) > set icon.

icons_for_nwp_pwn_pwp.tar.xz

-----

from the readme:
directions: unpack folder and place in /nwp.

the icons aren't completely finished and may not ever be, but it's a start for you to continue with if you wish.
only the four launchers (five if you include nwp, which is pwn with the cursor set already at the right) have desktop files in /usr/share/applications and will show up on the menus (Categories=Utility;WordProcessor;FileSystem;System;Amusement). the dual launchers are perhaps too numerous, but if you drag the the contents of /nwp/icons/pwp to /usr/share/applications, you'll get all the duals (some without icons) on the Fun menu--adjust as you see fit. "duals" in the main launcher opens the folder for drag and drop opening of files in groups or individually.

here is the new file structure so far. dump the following into a terminal to have it:

mkdir -p /nwp/{archive,quar,docs,file,pets+sfs,etc,nwp,root3,u,icons,tmp,templates,z,01,b,a,001,d,misc,h,dwn,t,}
# new main nwp folder structure

mkdir -p /nwp/file {archive,mail,scripts,clips,t,clippings,internet,music,ncd,pdf,draw,screenshots,software,libs/{lib32,lib64},spreadsheets,text,tmp,videos,paint,odt,txt,scripts,web,docx,d,docs,html,u,icons,tem,z,w,0,b,a,1,preotry,rtf,misc,etc,h,m,movies,books}
#structure of the file subdirectory

mkdir -p /nwp/root3/{9menusblanks,9m-vtg,userjwm,icons,root30menu,root31menu,root32menu,root33menu,root34menu,root35menu,root36menu,root37menu,root38menu,root39menu,w,geany,rox}
#new structure of the root3 folder (primarily for distros other than these, though it may make it easier to take future changes with you if you switch...work still in progress...)

mkdir -p
/nwp/file/docs/{t,archive,clipart,tmp,Screenshots,PDF,Text,Spreadsheets,Internet,Music,Software,Videos}

^replica of the original puppy documents folder, with the exception of the t folder, which i'm thinking of making templates backup folders of (t shows up in the sub folders a lot, as does h, which i think of as a pseudo home folder, just as d is an easy reach (and blank slate) docs folder, w the word processor folder, and b is for quick links/bookmarks ... all folders have an implied 0-z structure, which would make it easy to get to places or open folders or individual files with the four supplemental launchers.

the n directory in icons contains blank templates for you to copy to the new>templates folder (right click on an icon in rox, new, customize)
l is a back up of the main (non dual) launchers
2 is an empty folder--it was what the pwp (puppy word processor) folder now is. doesn't take up much space so i left it.

update script:

mkdir -p /nwp/icons/{pwp,pwn}

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
#duals
#open the folder of dual launchers for drag and activate (highlight groups or individual files)
rox /nwp/icons/pwp

#(edit/view simultaneously in text editor and browser windows)
#call with suggested title or rename.
' > /nwp/duals

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
#suggested name is k (or pac, leaving k as 11th custom bookmark when called by roks) 
rox /nwp/
#nwp navigation k series 
#call with suggested title or rename. call series for editing with roks
' > /nwp/k

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
#k1
rox [path]
#nwp navigation k series 
#call with suggested k# or rename. call series for editing with roks
' > /nwp/k1

echo $'
#k2
#!/bin/sh
rox [path]
#nwp navigation k series 
' > /nwp/k2

echo $'
#k3
#!/bin/sh
rox [path]
#nwp navigation k series 
#k4
' > /nwp/k4

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
rox [path]
#nwp navigation k series 
#k5
' > /nwp/k5

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
rox [path]
#nwp navigation k series 
#k6
' > /nwp/k6

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
rox [path]
#nwp navigation  k series  
#k7
' > /nwp/k7

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
#roks
geany /nwp/k0 /nwp/k1 /nwp/k2 /nwp/k3 /nwp/k4 /nwp/k5 /nwp/k6 /nwp/k7 /nwp/k8 /nwp/k9  /nwp/k
#edit k series. swap out [path] with path to directory. files can also be chosen and will be opened by their default handler. you
#may also use multiple directories eg rox /tmp /nwp opens up both at the same time.
' > /nwp/roks

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
rox [path]
#nwp navigation k series 
#k0
' > /nwp/k0

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
rox [path]
#nwp navigation k series 
#k9
' > /nwp/k9

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
rox [path]
#nwp navigation  k series  
#k8
' > /nwp/k8

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
geany /nwp/root3/vtg1 /nwp/root3/vtg2 /nwp/root3/vtg3 /nwp/root3/vtg4
#veg: vgt, nwp, and puup help. the same as alt+g 
' > /nwp/veg

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
geany /nwp/root3/sanc /nwp/root3/san /nwp/root3/mono /nwp/root3/hr /nwp/root3/ser
# geak -- open all the word processor templates in geany for editing or other
#  <Key mask="AS" key="g">exec:geany /nwp/root3/sanc /nwp/root3/san /nwp/root3/mono /nwp/root3/hr /nwp/root3/ser /nwp/root3/scrap /nwp/root3/notes</Key>	
# to jwmrc-personal. or better yet, add <Key mask="AS" key="g">exec:/nwp/geak</Key>--easier to edit, quicker to show its effects.
' > /nwp/geak

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
#page break white (invisible in all browsers but dillo)
xdotool type \'<par style="font-size: 11pt; color:white; page-break-before: always"></par>\'
#pbw
' > /nwp/pbw

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
#page break after, white text (if any). paw.
xdotool type \'<par style="font-size: 11pt; color:white; page-break-after: always"></par>\'
' > /nwp/paw

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
#snc
geany /nwp/sanc
' > /nwp/snc

echo $'

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=pw,n-l
Icon=/nwp/icons/pwnl.png
Comment=nwp launcher
Exec=/nwp/l-
Terminal=false
Type=Application
GenericName=pw,n-l
Version=1.0
Categories=Utility;WordProcessor;FileSystem;System;Amusement
' > /usr/share/applications/pwnl.desktop

echo $'
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=pw,n
Icon=/nwp/icons/pwn2.png
Comment=nwp launcher
Exec=/nwp/icons/l/p-
Terminal=false
Type=Application
GenericName=pw,n
Version=1.0
' > /usr/share/applications/nwp.desktop

echo $'
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=pw,n
Icon=/nwp/icons/pwn2.png
Comment=nwp launcher
Exec=/nwp/pwn2
Terminal=false
Type=Application
GenericName=pw,n
Version=1.0
' > /usr/share/applications/pwn.desktop

echo $'
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=pw,n-r
Icon=/nwp/icons/pwnr.png
Comment=nwp launcher
Exec=/nwp/r-
Terminal=false
Type=Application
GenericName=rox /nwp/
Version=1.0
' > /usr/share/applications/pwnr.desktop

echo $'
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=pw,n-g
Icon=/nwp/icons/pwng.png
Comment=nwp launcher
Exec=/nwp/g-
Terminal=false
Type=Application
GenericName=geany /nwp/
Version=1.0

' > /usr/share/applications/pwng.desktop

cp /usr/share/applications/pwnl.desktop /nwp/icons/pwn/pwnl.desktop
cp /usr/share/applications/pwng.desktop /nwp/icons/pwn/pwng.desktop
cp /usr/share/applications/pwnr.desktop /nwp/icons/pwn/pwnr.desktop
cp /usr/share/applications/pwn.desktop /nwp/icons/pwn/pwn.desktop

echo $'<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
<head>
<title>sanc14</title>

</head>
<body>
<pre>
<span style="font-size: 14pt; color:black; font-weight:regular condensed; font-family: nimbus sans l">

(delete this and place your content here. adjust the line above for the general text formatting of your document.)

</span>
</pre>
</body>
</html>

' > /nwp/sanc

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
xdotool type \'<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
<head>
<title>sanc14</title>

</head>
<body>
<pre>
<span style="font-size: 14pt; color:black; font-weight:regular condensed; font-family: nimbus sans l">

(delete this and place your content here. adjust the line above for the general text formatting of your document.)

</span>
</pre>
</body>
</html>
\'
' > /nwp/sanc1

echo $'
leafpad sanc
' > /nwp/sancl

echo $'
geany sanc
' > /nwp/sancg

cp/nwp/hr /nwp/root3/hr 
cp/nwp/sanc /nwp/root3/sanc 
cp/nwp/mono /nwp/root3/mono 
cp /nwp/san /nwp/root3/san 
cp /nwp/ser /nwp/root3/ser 
#make backups of the templates in /nwp and provide a /nwp/root3 directory for those without:
mkdir -p /nwp/root3
mkdir -p /nwp/icons/l

#get the new launchers on the menus; get the new launchers: 

fixmenus; jwm -reload
echo $'
#!/bin/sh
              --title="pw,n-g" --window-icon="gtk-execute" \
              --entry --entry-label="Run command:"  \
              --column="command" --entry-text "geany /nwp/")

# run the command
$CMDLINE &

exit 0

' > /nwp/g-

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
              --column="command" --entry-text "leafpad/nwp/")

# run the command
$CMDLINE &

exit 0

' > /nwp/l-

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
              --column="command" --entry-text "rox/nwp/")

# run the command
$CMDLINE &

exit 0

' > /nwp/r-

#new launchers are more for new tree structure (in development)--they're supposed to make it easier to select a given file or folder to edit or open.
#for now, they are all set to highlight their entries--arrow right to enter a file, type to use it as a general launcher.

#!/bin/sh

/nwp/icons/l/pwn| xdotool sleep .2 key Right
' > /nwp/icons/l/p-

includes new k series--roks in the launcher (pwn, pax--the main one) will open them for editing. just enter your path after the "rox " and k1-10 will act as a quick link to your chosen folder.

also includes geak, which loads all the word processor templates from the nwp in geany for you to work with or edit.

also new:

page breaks that default to white (paw, pbw)--invisible in all but dillo but can serve as comments or search anchors.

a new sans nimbus condensed 14 template and sanc1 backup (san1, mono1, san1, and ser1, and hr1 will recreate destroyed temp files and allow you to convert a regular text document to the (html) format of these word processor files. to convert a file, just enter the __1 code and cut the pasted code in half, deleting the "delete this" bit and placing all above it at the beginning of your text and all that follows at the end.

if you want the new launchers on any of the other nine menus, open up /root/.jwmrc, do a search for "pwn," copy the codes for for the launchers (they should all be next to one another), and paste them into /root/root1menu, etc.

if you'd like to add back a menu button or dog icon (make the interface more traditionally puppy), you could add

<TrayButton label="Menu" icon="mini-dog.xpm">exec:/nwp/wm</TrayButton>
to add the master menu menu (includes all the jwm menus, some utility programs, and all the aemenu menus plus whatever else is on the root0 menu).

new shortcuts:

roks -- open k1-10 in geany for editing (they're rox bookmark files, but will open regular files with default handler in addition to directories with rox)
geak - open all the word processor templates in geany
duals -- open a folder containing a group of dual launchers (text editors and browsers) for use with the nooby word processor
paw -- page break above, white text
pbw -- page break below, white text
l- open launcher customized for leafpad
r- open launcher customized for rox
g- open launcher customized for geany
____

from here
-------

a little more on the how-to tip, making a batch of .desktop files was really easy and i discovered you don't really need to know any regular expressions to substitute line breaks and the like. i made a folder of scripts, copied the paths to a geany document, then did the usual substitute space for \n so i could space them out. it worked as usual, but i went back and substituted the whole beginning of the .desktop document format (copied from a file in /usr/share/applications) up to the Exec= bit for the leading space and that worked as well. added a unique character sequence to the end, did a substition with that for the rest of the .desktop file, and suddenly the desktop files for thirty or so scripts were nearly complete. surrounded each with

echo $'

' > [path/name]

ran it in a terminal, all appeared where they were supposed to go. anyway, new shortcuts:

roks -- open k1-10 in geany for editing (they're rox bookmark files, but will open regular files with default handler in addition to directories with rox)
geak - open all the word processor templates in geany
duals -- open a folder containing a group of dual launchers (text editors and browsers) for use with the nooby word processor
paw -- page break above, white text
pbw -- page break below, white text
l- open launcher customized for leafpad
r- open launcher customized for rox
g- open launcher customized for geany

Puppus Dogfellow

some new icons for the vgt button

#27 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

i present to you some new Cauliflower MacHue icons for the virtual geany terminal (vgt) i.e. the virtual terminal geany (vtg--i've discovered at least one of my posts screws up the three letter name):

here's the keybindings for the vtg function--just swap with your own as an easy way to get it.

grab the icons here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Puppus Dogfellow

#28 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

an upgrade to geany 1.25 appears to break the vtg function in precise 5.7.2 but i don't see why...

have also run into a problem with grub4dos after the upgrade. not sure if there's any connection, but they were both working fine before, so i retract my rec to upgrade to geany 1.25. if you've got an older pup (with .19 or older), the upgrade to 1.23 or 1.24 shouldn't be a problem (at least they weren't in precise 5.5 and 5.7.1/5.7.2).

problem may have arisen because i tried to install a deb for geany's multiterm and may therefore be unrelated to the 1.25 package above. so, a word of caution--perhaps check it out in a ram-only session first.

really don't know why grub4dos is no longer writing the menu entries its popup shows exist. probably not text-editor related. i should keep better track of what i install...only other thing was a spideroak .deb.

:? :?:

anyway, a heads up.

----------

edit: in all likelihood, the 1.25 packages are not to blame. i just tried to install the 1.24 multiterm deb in the same variety of pup using the earlier version of geany--result was the death of the vtg function. compile the multiterminal from scratch if you want it. i think this is also what affected grub4dos's ability to correctly write to the necessary text files--xterm is the central terminal for the vte/vtg and most puppy processes, or so it appears to me.

removing the deb didn't solve the problem(s), though a restart once it's removed may (i'm in no hurry since at present i have no entries in the menu.list aside from what i copied over from an old backup).

Puppus Dogfellow

not my bug--fix is to hold down to escape key (or keep 25 or

#29 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

anyway, avoid the showdesktop entry in the menus unless you've used it before without incident.
it only seems to affect workspaces that contain over thirty windows--no issue when i move ten over a desktop and try either from there or the original work space. a change in habits (rarely use more than one desktop these days despite always having 24 available) is the reason for the problem--it's a latent awareness of an old problem, not an introduction of a new one. anyway, regardless of the number of windows open, the regular tray button and the shortcut keys for show desktop still work.

one last version of the nwp folder and launchers to come. i've been testing it out in quirky 7.2. and it's all working well--the new wmctrl and xdotool pets from ETP seem to have resolved the problems i found in 7.0.4. 64 bit. i don't expect there to be any problems with ANWPUS (A Nooby Word Processor And Utilities Suite--that acronym is its official (and generally unused) dumbass (though pu/up is really no better. maybe i'll go back to pwn/nwp...) name) in 32 bit pups.

still checking over the jwm menus--the aemenus work fine--and finalizing (heh) the myriad shortcut keys. the official pack of launchers (though i may make a second set for those who prefer to keep things in /root/my-applications/bin) will contain highlight and cursor-at-end versions of the general (/nwp/) launcher, rox (rox /nwp/), leafpad (leafpad /nwp/), geany (geany /nwp/), and change permission (chmod 755 /nwp/) launchers. the launchers all have quick keys to one another (and findnrun and the terminal of your choice, to make up for where other launchers surpass them) and the new version of the nwp folder (included, at least for the most part, in the last set of upgrades--you could skim back for a preview if you're new to the thread) is designed to keep your documents, settings, and essential software portable and out of the save folder.

i've been using the following launcher to change permissions of whatever i dump into /nwp--it's been coming in pretty handy and i think the only one i haven't included as a script or via terminal update:

#!/bin/sh
echo $'
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=pwnch
Icon=/root/puppy-reference/mini-icons/mini-pencil.xpm
Comment=nwp launcher /nwp/chmod 755 [grant execution privileges) 
Exec=/nwp/ch
Terminal=false
Type=Application
GenericName=
Version=1.0
Categories=Fun;Document;Filesystem;Utility;X-Desktop
 ' > /usr/share/applications/pwng.desktop

echo $'
#!/bin/sh
              --title="pw,n-ch" --window-icon="gtk-execute" \
              --column="command" --entry-text "chmod 755 /nwp/")

$CMDLINE &
exit 0
 ' > /nwp/ch-

chmod 755 /nwp/ch-

echo $'

#!/bin/sh
/nwp/ch-| xdotool sleep .3s key Right

' >  /nwp/ch

chmod 755 /nwp/ch
 fix menus; jwm -reload

#try jwm -restart if this doesn't put the launcher on the menu; alter the Categories= part if it's on too many submenus and then do another jwm -reload (or jwm -restart)

------------

in addition to the updated shortcut keys (and a cheat sheet for them), the next /nwp update will also include the following:

atdesk --make a desktop template
jp -- open jwmrc-personal with geany
(a new gynysys based on the move of many files out of root and root/my-applications/bin and into /nwp. will open a duplicate for you to modify)
hi - hard info
mr - sfr's multi rename
ppm --so you can call the ppm from the nwp launcher without having to go to findnrun or a terminal or backspace or ctrl-a over the text (/nwp/)
v - the vtg (also working well in quirky)
m - pmount and partview
veg - same a alt+g -- vgt, nwp and puup help
gi - new instance of geany

cursor at right versions of launcher

p -- main nwp launcher
ch - permissions launcher
gl - geany launcher (also -g)
ll - leafpad launcherr (also -l)
rl - rox launcher (also -r)

highlighted entry versions:

r- rox launcher
g- geany launcher
ch- change permissions launcher
l- leafpad launcher

(some of this is likely already included in the last release of this spin, but i need to update the documentation here and several other places...)
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Thu 29 Oct 2015, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

Puppus Dogfellow

#30 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

^ heh, wrong thread. but since it's here, enjoy the preview and the permissions launcher.

(was wondering where the post went...)

:P

Puppus Dogfellow

in Quirky 7.2 64, the script to launch the VTG needs the

#31 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

the vtg function wasn't working as smoothly in quirky as it was in precise--things that should've closed didn't or lagged. here's the fix for what may be a mild bug. swap the v script in /nwp/ and/or /root/my-applications/bin with the following if you're afflicted:

#!/bin/sh
xdotool key ctrl+9 ctrl+8 Return F2 ctrl+7

#for precise, the F2 wasn't needed.
#script to execute the following string in geany (needs a few tweaks to the keyboard config file or a swap with the key.config file in the word processing and related folder at the pupli repo.
# send line where cursor sits (or what's been highlighted) to the terminal, run it, close the terminal, return to the editing view.

#you may want to put compile and build back (f8 and f9, iirc) if you like geany's built in shortcuts. i messed with those but they have nothing to do with the vtg function.
xdotool key ctrl+9 ctrl+8 Return F2 ctrl+7
that's it. the F2 is the only needed change. i was messing around with the timing and a few other things, but it's just a case of quirky 7.2 needs to have the editor in focus to close out the sidebar and terminal and precise didn't. or 32 bit didn't (both were using geany 1.24 for the most part).

Puppus Dogfellow

#32 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 403#870403

both the nwp folder and the launchers have been upgraded. see the link post for the download, the post above it for a script that will install the launchers (no downloading necessary)

Puppus Dogfellow

Managing Playlists On External Drives With Find And Replace

#33 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

this may not be a geany specific fix, but the multi tabs and recents lists makes it a better choice for the task than leafpad, and i don't know how many are also afflicted, but i've yet to have a machine escape it, so---

isn't it annoying to have a playlist spit out nothing but error messages because sdb is now sdc or something else and none of the song paths are correct? it certainly annoys me. open up the playlist file in geany menu > search > replace (swap your drive letters--usually a substitution need be no more than four letters in each of the two fields, though if if you've got multiple drives changing identities without pattern, it may require a little finesse) > (make sure the bottom part is set to entire document or selection--whichever is needed) and you're done. play list will now work.

(tested with vlc and the xspf format/extension.)

Puppus Dogfellow

launcher and the pack that contains it has been upgraded

#34 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

the launcher has been upgraded, thought the vtg function itself is unchanged. launcher and the jwm-aemenu pack that contains it: nwp-jwm-aem-1.1.tar.xz

details start here and continue until the first post on the next page (three posts of how to modify, what things look like and do, etc.)

enjoy.

:P

Puppus Dogfellow

if you're using the launcher for the vgt and word processing

#35 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

i think the subject line is especially true if you don't rely on jwm or your windows manager for your keyboard short cuts. you could drag template files and word processing command files to the panels and make a word processing gui out of your screen real estate. of course, the panels could be used to launch anything the pinboards can, which is pretty much anything. anyway, here's "the following":
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote: you can give yourself swappable keyboard shortcuts by assigning them specifically to panel or pinboard items. since this thread deals with panels exclusively, i'll focus on that, but it's really the same thing--when you right click on a pinboard or panel item and give it a shortcut, the shortcut goes to that specific icon, not the program or file(s) the icon represents--the key combo will work on what's in the panel--swap the panel, you swap keyboard shortcuts. to fully use this feature, you'd probably have to keep your shortcuts away from your main windows manager as that may override or conflict with the newer keycuts.

in short, you could toggle keyboard shortcuts when you toggle panels/toggling panels is also a way to have an enormous amount of context-specific (or not) keycuts. this is possible because in rox, you assign cuts to an icon, not a program.
from the rox panel speed frames thread

using the method described above, the pwp launcher (the Puppy Word Processor/Puppy Uppers Utility Pack--new version just has uu as the only text on the gui frame, so maybe yet another name change), you could give a similar overabundance of keycuts to a non-jwm setup as you can to one that can take the previously posted key-banks. shrink the panels (16 pixels is minimum--use one pixel squares from the empty icon template (temp folder in nwp) and they'll be expanded to your choice up to 96 pixels) and give scripts (such as the word processing commands from the nwp folder) direct and familiar (or at least personally chosen) locations and shortcuts to call them.

see the main nwp aemenu (n in launcher) for the rox entry if you want to make 6 swappable pinboards (call code would be pp#--mk30 in the launcher will actually give you thirty of them, but like mk26, it's probably overkill. the 10 panel sets are already included and are called by p0-p9)
relates to same pack posted earlier. (ones before the current penultimate couldn't make the 24 or 30 pinboard sets).