Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 02 Jul 2015, 01:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Cannot start X anymore
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
jofre

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 09:39    Post_subject:  Cannot start X anymore
Sub_title: Quirky will not start the X server (or starting the wrong driver)

Hi, I've am using Quirky 6.2 since the last couple of months and I have three different pendrives. One is using the 8 gig simple installation because I've used Slacko and it did not work for the installation on a partition. However, this 8 gig installation worked OK to build the other two pendrives.

I am very happy with the distro and I've installed XAMPP, NETBEANS, MPLAB, etc etc until yesterday when I decided I may try to have a second monitor for which I've started trying to use xrandr and as part of this process, I've edited just one line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf . I've just un-commented the line

Code:
#   Device     "Card0"

And whala...; never ever was able to start X again. In fact, right after the first boot, xorgwizard asked for options and I selected the one with the Nvidia requiring reboot.

The trivial and fastest solution is to re-install Quirky and I am just about to. However, for the sake of better understanding, I've decided to post it here for some help. I've have had very nasty experiences with xorg in the past and I know that even an space in the wrong place makes a disaster , I've just thought it was more forbidding nowadays.

The following is what I've tried to do so far with no success:

1.Bootting up with with qfix=nox option.
This does nothing, the init script always stop right after the message:

Code:
 Recognizing media devices... optical inpu

The funny thing is that because I have MPD running a playlist on start-up, I know Quirky is up and running because it starts playing the song normally.

But at this point, the keyboard input is not listened at all, there is nothing else that holding the power button on for a hard shutdown.

2. As what it happens after the message above is an automatic login, using the other pendrive, I've edited /etc/initab in order to do a manual boot.

This did not work either. The initab file is somehow "created" during the init process as the initab file comes back to the previous initial content. ( I assume everything is inside vmlinuz???).

3. I've renamed xwin to xwin1 with the hope the script will stop with a "file not found" message. No, AGAIN xwin has the correct name ( created / copied at start up by vmlinuz???)

4. SSH , but unfortunately there is no ssh server running . Lesson learnt: I will install ssh server on all my other installations and in the future!!!

5. Delete all the files in /etc/X11 and copied them from my other pendrive quirkies as they are all being used in same laptop.

Exactly same issue; black or frozen screen just after last message Recognizing media devices...

All above are just the tip of the iceberg of 7 hours of booting and trial to no avail.

In summary, Quirky is running OK, MPD playing songs and the system connects to internet. Just the X not running.

What can I do in order to start in command line mode? ; again, qfix=nox and I even tried pfix=nox are doing NOTHING, the scripts always performs automatic login and immediately launches startx that of course render all black.

Thanks a million for any info !!
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 09:55    Post_subject:  

Since you are able to run a sound at bootup , you should be able to fix things yourself .

I am not familiar with the new Quirky concept .
Usually replacing files with the original from the .sfs should work .

Here is a code , that I use to play a motorcycle noise at bootup - in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit :

Code:
_playbootnoise(){
    [ -e /etc/rc.d/haileyharly.wav ] || return 0
    bb_modprobe -v snd-card-0 && {
    alsactl -f /etc/asound.state restore && {
    #until pidof X; do
    until pidof rc.launchxwin xwin X; do
    aplay /etc/rc.d/haileyharly.wav || return 0
    sleep 0.1
    done
  } || return 0
 } || return 0
}
_playbootnoise &

Your input message should come from rc.sysinit too .

Before the input message rc.network and rc.services are getting run and forked by rc.sysinit .

Since you installed NETBEANS I think you got some JAVA too with init files in /etc/init.d/ which are started by rc.services .

Oracle JAVA init script mounts binfmt_misc . Maybe such hangs your kernel .

vmlinuz is the kernel . The kernel does not do much by itself at bootup , except initializing buildin drivers .

rc.sysinit is doing 90% of the boot process .

jofre

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 13:33    Post_subject:  

Thanks, I will look again into re.sysinit , but at some point it is chinese for me.

Remember the trigger of all this was Xorg Java and other stuff are not involved on this mess.

My first goal is to reach the command line which now is impossible , as the attempt to start X renders the screen. keyboard , mouse , whatever unusable. I do not understand why Xorg is so dumb that whatever it starts it thinks is running OK, or at least that is my reasoning otherwise it should return back to the console with some error message.

The last time I've messed with Xorg (10 years ago) resulted in reinstalling Linux. It seems to be this second time I am going same way, however I will try a little more.

Does anybody knows how to rerun the initial first time ever script? I believe this would solve the problem as the first time the script automatically probes all the hardware.
Even the Raspberry pi has the option to run the configuartion screen anytime you wish.

Thanks!
L18L

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2015, 13:57    Post_subject: Re: Cannot start X anymore
Sub_title: Quirky will not start the X server (or starting the wrong driver)

jofre wrote:
I've edited just one line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf . I've just un-commented the line

Code:
#   Device     "Card0"

And whala...; never ever was able to start X again. In fact, right after the first boot, xorgwizard asked for options and I selected the one with the Nvidia requiring reboot.

The trivial and fastest solution is to re-install Quirky and I am just about to.

Why not just revert your edit of xorg.conf, trivialer and faster. Rolling Eyes
jofre

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2015, 08:37    Post_subject:  

Thanks, Obviously reverting xorg.conf to original was the very first thing I've tried. However, as I mentioned, on booting immediately after that change, xorgwizard asked for a different NVidia driver which I've selected clicking on it.

Above being said, after copying and pasting the whole X11 and rc.d directories from a working pendrive to the bad one, I've got still the same thing. I've finally decided to give a try using a different laptop and to my surprise; it started X with no issues.

So, I believe what is going on is that on my very first editing of xorg.conf and rebooting after that change, a different video driver was installed. This driver is still somewhere inside the Linux guts in that pendrive. I believe this new driver is not good for the original laptop which is a Z-book , but it is good for the older HP Compaq laptop.

Then, in my point of view, X is starting on BOTH cases; in the Compaq case, I am lucky that the weird Nvidia driver seems to be able to start the graphic window anyhow. In the Z-Book there is a flickering, etc, but a black screen afterwards. Linux is up an running, it is connected to the internet and the services like MPD are up an running OK.

Below is an screenshot where everything stops on the Z-book. 5 to 10 seconds after the Recognizing Media Devices... message ; Linux is up and running, MPD is playing sound and the system is connected to the network.

Deleting /sbin/Xorg, and rebooting; the script stops at below picture which occurs almost immediately after above shown Recognizing Media Devices... message and it is actually performing the autologin but stopping as there is no Xorg. Yet, MPD is playing sound and network connection is normal after a few seconds from this screen. In spite you can see the hash prompt , nothing happens pressing any key. Exactly like before, the system is not getting any input from the keyboard.

So it does the autologin and, of course, cannot start X . However, it is not listening to the keyboard , the only keyboard input working is Ctrl-Alt-Del for reboot.

Finally, in the working laptot this is shown right before opening the graphical Desktop:

The obvious solution is to find where the bad driver is loaded and replace it . Or be able to run xorgwizard again.

I will appreciate any info on how can I get xorgwizard running again in order to change and obtain the correct driver.
jofre

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2015, 12:53    Post_subject: SOLVED!!!!!!  

OK, after 2 days solved without reinstalling.
First, the assumption that X was running but with a wrong driver was correct.

As I mentioned the first partial solution was that X ran OK on an older PC. So, on that PC I've booted the bad pendrive and installed openssh server. Then I've edited /root/.profile and commented out the xwin line (last line).

Then I've booted the bad pendrive on the non working laptop which now stopped right after the Recognizing .. message but still not able to recognize keyboard input. So I ssh from the other laptop and run xorgwizard which this time I've followed the autodetected options and FINALLY the desktop showed back again and now with better resolution than before.

Thanks for the hints anyway!
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum