Find'N'Run

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
mavrothal

#16 Post by mavrothal »

Works nice in the puppies I tried it :D
Do you think that adding the icon, form the icon field, in every entry (for the "visual types") would be too much hassle or even confusing?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Moat

#17 Post by Moat »

Moat wrote:Would it be possible to incorporate this into the (first, main) menu window (like a 'category')?
Ha! Answered my own question...

In ~/root/.config/lxpanel/default/panels/panel I snuck in @ line 38...

Code: Select all

separator {
        }
        item {
           image=findnrun.png
           name=Find'N'Run
           action=findnrun
        }
... and it works!

Bob
Attachments
add findnrun to lxmenu.jpg
Precise571/OpenboxPlus
(82.79 KiB) Downloaded 439 times

SFR

#18 Post by SFR »

musher0 wrote:You do not know dmenu?
I didn't. But from what I saw @Arch forum it must be a very flexible piece of code.
LazY Puppy wrote:application of the month 03/2015!
Thanks. :lol:
jamesbond wrote:quicklaunch
I came to the same idea - one click less to access it.
Thank you!
mavrothal wrote:Do you think that adding the icon, form the icon field, in every entry (for the "visual types") would be too much hassle or even confusing?
I think it would heavily overcomplicate already overcomplicated searching code.
I'm not saying no, though, because this also crossed my mind, but the code needs to be simplified first and maybe then.
Moath wrote:Ha! Answered my own question...
I'm glad you have resolved it.

Thanks all &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

jamesbond

#19 Post by jamesbond »

Suggestion: in addition to /usr/share/applications, how about searching /usr/local/share/applications and $HOME/.local/share/applications (or $XDG_DATA_HOME/applications) too (if they exists)? According to XDG these directories can also contain .destkop files.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

SFR

#20 Post by SFR »

Yeah, I thought about it too, but the original code was able to handle only one location.
Now it makes no difference as the executing code is searching through Name fields (not filenames), so sure - will be added to the next version.
Although I'm not sure which location would be more fool-proof (especially in Puppyland) - $HOME or $XDG? Should I flip a coin? :wink:
Or maybe simply add both of them (duplicates will be filtered out anyway)..?

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

jamesbond

#21 Post by jamesbond »

I thought you could just add the additional directories in the "grep" line? Yes, duplicates will be weeded out anyway. As for $HOME or $XDG, I think recent puppies have both of them set, so I would go with $XDG_DATA_HOME. Btw, /usr/share and /usr/local/share are actually $XDG_DATA_DIRS but nobody uses that in the scripts as far as I know ;)
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

SFR

#22 Post by SFR »

Ok, v0.9 uploaded.

Thanks &
Greetings!

LazY Puppy

#23 Post by LazY Puppy »

SFR wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote:application of the month 03/2015!
Thanks. :lol:
I mean that! 8) :)

In addition modifying this is big FUN.

Now 6 different locations

- /usr/share/applications
- $LP2BPL/$myscripts (Scripts)
- $LP2PPL/$myportableroxappsdir (RoxApps)
- $LP2BPL/$my1portables/$my4portableslinux (Portable Linux)
- $LP2BPL/$my1portables/$my3portableswine (Portable Wine)
- $LP2BPL/$mylocallp2bdl (SFS Modules)

Renamed to RSH's Application-Kiosk (the new one).

Thanks again for the pretty much useful code in Find'N'Run!
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(71.03 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Jasper

#24 Post by Jasper »

Hi SFR and co-conspirators et al,

Thank you. I am absolutely delighted with version 0.4 and I may not upgrade.

I’ve amended the title, height, width, and position and the tooltips now read:
Input letters ✫ or +
Double click or ENTER (unless ✫)

The ✫ indicates an app that does not work (either because I failed to set up the .desktop file properly or because the app does not work with my hardware).

The + indicates a favoured app (though rarely needed) and placing a + in the search box immediately displays the relatively short list of those apps.

I have many SFS and Wine apps that I would like to make working F ‘n’ R .desktop files of. So any set-up tips from RSH et al would be much appreciated.

However, unlike RSH and his multiple lists I would allocate a symbol to each type so as to be able to extract separate SFS and Wine lists (again editable, with the addition of a +).

My regards
Attachments
F'n'R.png
(39.76 KiB) Downloaded 313 times

LazY Puppy

#25 Post by LazY Puppy »

Jasper wrote:I have many SFS and Wine apps that I would like to make working F ‘n’ R .desktop files of. So any set-up tips from RSH et al would be much appreciated.
Attached is a script (fake .gz, as usual) I'm using to create .desktop files from my external Scripts directory.

Path to my Scripts directory is:

- ScriptsPath="$LP2BPL/$myscripts"

which will return:

- /mnt/sdd1/Skripte

It searches directory /mnt/sdd1/Skripte with -maxdepth 2, so it grabs Scripts in /mnt/sdd1/Skripte plus one deeper level (sub-directory, categories of Scripts, example: /mnt/sdd1/Skripte/MouseSettings etc.pp.) to get all the Scripts. Also it skips some files and directories equal to my Menu-Pipes.

I would like to see your code to apply the ✫ or + to the listed files.

Btw.: I have now added a seventh list, my files in:

- $LP2BPL/$mydirsdir

which returns

- /mnt/sdd1/Dateien

used -maxdepth 3 to fit to my setup. Files are sent to a heavily modified defaulthandler. Also added options to send images to defaultimageeditor instead of viewer, as well as to send music files to defaultaudioeditor instead media player.

All the list are refreshed by the content of the single entry widget - how I do prefer it.

See Image...
Attachments
image-3.jpg
(64.99 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
build-desktop-files-from-scripts-dir.gz
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Jasper

#26 Post by Jasper »

Hi RSH,

Thank you for your
which I have downloaded and will try later.

I'm sorry I cannot reciprocate your help,
since I added my ✫ and + symbols manually.

My regards

LazY Puppy

#27 Post by LazY Puppy »

Jasper wrote:Hi RSH,

Thank you for your
which I have downloaded and will try later.
I hope it's somehow helpful.
Jasper wrote:I'm sorry I cannot reciprocate your help,
since I added my ✫ and + symbols manually.

My regards
Never Mind.
RSH

LazY Puppy

#28 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Again me, just a quick update.

I have made functions/buttons to open directories of my Scripts and RoxApps etc.pp. as well as to update the related lists.

Also I've included a function to have a preview of images in the list of my files, therefor I've again added a second entry field to be able to search for apps and files separately.

A second tab was added wherein all opened windows on all desktops are listed and can be managed, like move them around to different desktops and many more (based on an earlier script by Mochi Moppel).

It's now some kind of a pretty cool Control Center for all my apps, files and additional stuff.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(108.52 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
RSH

musher0

#29 Post by musher0 »

What a waste of time and talent, as my medieval friend Ockham would say...

Use dmenu2, Laides and Gentlemen, dmenu2...
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Jasper

#30 Post by Jasper »

Hi guys,

I think someone (perhaps L18L) reported findnrun's run time as 22 milliseconds. In any case my searches are, to my eyes, instantaneous.

Seems to me that's time saved not time wasted and I'm delighted SFR wasted his time and talent helping himself, me and others.

My regards

I'll probably have a look at musher0's suggestion, but meantime I'll wait to see if technosaurus (king of speed) has any comment.

LazY Puppy

#31 Post by LazY Puppy »

What a waste of time and talent
:lol:

NO! NO! NO!

:lol:

To me it was worth every little milli-second to hack that Find'N'Run Script to my personal needs.

At the current state of my hack, I got immediately Access to all of my Files, internal Apps, external Scripts, RoxApps, SFS Modules, Linux Portables and Wine Portable Apps - by a single GUI.

Executing a Wine App loads a Wine SFS automatically first.
Executing a SFS Module sends it to my SFS-Handler, which offers just to load and run the SFS Module or to edit, add dependencies, mount it to view content etc.pp.

Still Find'N'Run to me is the application of the month! :)

My personal Hack of this script is my personal development of the year! :D

As I said: I had a quick go on dmenu2, but I'm convinced, modifying it to my needs would have taken an equal amount of work, without to be sure to achieve any equal results!

And it would force me to install stuff into my Puppies and to do a remaster - at least once.

By the way:

I have over 4230 Files in the List of my Files and it takes less than a second to find a file (after the .desktop files have been created once). :D
RSH

musher0

#32 Post by musher0 »

That was to be expected: a defensive developer! :)
Still developing a logical entity needlessly...

Use dmenu2, Ladies and Gentlemen, dmenu2!!!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

LazY Puppy

#33 Post by LazY Puppy »

musher0 wrote:That was to be expected: a defensive developer! :)

I love you too... :wink:
RSH

musher0

#34 Post by musher0 »

LazY Puppy wrote:
musher0 wrote:That was to be expected: a defensive developer! :)

I love you too... :wink:
;)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

recobayu

#35 Post by recobayu »

Hey, this is very sophisticated!
I think it's very great if it was combined to PupMenu.
And with a little wmctrl and shortcut, it can be so amazing.
;) :wink: