How to boot from Iomega PCMCIA CF card?

Using applications, configuring, problems
can8v

How to boot from Iomega PCMCIA CF card?

#1 Post by can8v »

I read in a post that someone booted 109CE from a PCMCIA CD drive, is this possible with version 202. Is this possible period. More to the point I have a 350mb IBM Microdive (Compact Flash card) with the Iomega label. I also have a PCMCIA adapter. I would be so stoked to boot Puppy202 from there, If this is even possible could someone point me in the right direction. I am presently running 201 full hd install on hda1 and 202 frugal install on hda2. I have an IBM ThinkPad 570E This machine has a DVD drive but it is in the docking station, so I seldom take it with me. I only have one USB port so I use that for my printer since I can't find support for Infrared printing. That means that if I want to boot from this CF card it must be done from the PCMCIA slot, I have two the other connects my aironet 350 wifi card.
-Jason

can8v

#2 Post by can8v »

Admittedly on the subject of Grub, I only know what little I have been able to gleen from a few post, and I haven't been using linux all that long. Please bare with me. I have been tinkering with this idea of booting from a Compact Flash card via a PCMCIA adapter. MUT recognizes as hdc1 (I guess that means hard drive c partition1???) I mounted this drive and put a Puppy 202 frugal install on it. I then tried the following in my menu.lst file (PCMCIA install is in red).

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Puppy Linux 201 full (on /dev/hda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends

title Puppy Linux 202 Frugal (on /dev/hda2)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd /boot/initrd.gz

title Puppy Linux 202 PCMCIA Frugal (on /dev/hdc1)
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd /boot/initrd.gz

I have also tried:
root (hd1,0)
It doesn't seem to matter where I tell Grub the root directory is, I always get the same error message.
Disk does not exist.
Is there a way to get Grub to find this drive or am I just barking up the wrong tree here. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
-Jason

can8v

#3 Post by can8v »

I was just wondering if the PMEDIA=idehd needs to be something other than idehd; after all it is a compact flash card.