copy usb flash drive pup from ext3 stick to vfat stick?

Booting, installing, newbie
dcc701

copy usb flash drive pup from ext3 stick to vfat stick?

#1 Post by dcc701 »

(usb tahrpup on dell laptop 4gRAM, no HDD)

I've made a nice tahrpup on a usb memory stick. It uses a tahrsave folder (doesn't have to be reset for size). I took the advice of the universal installer and used one ext3 partition.

I'd like to copy same system onto a fat32 stick. No folder or file is close to 4gb (at least yet) so that's not an issue.

Ted Dog gave me this nice command:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
which enabled me to pretty quickly make a good copy onto another memory stick. But even though the blank stick was fat32 originally, the command wiped out that system and replaced it with a ext3 (of the same size as the original) with remainder of the memory in an "unassigned" partition.

I'm a true amateur at this. Tried on another fat32 stick to just copy everything over manually from the original stick. That mostly worked fine, it seemed, but when the tahrsave folder was copied, it generated a report of approx 600 errors!

Any fairly simple way to port things onto fat32?

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

NO

FAT is not posix (ext2/3/4 etc) compliant so its not just permissions and ownership but also symlinks that will not work...at some point it will fail.

As for porting its save file time...you could in theory crate a save file and copy the save folder contents when running pfix=ram and mounting the save.... there may be other tricks too like cp to pup_rw but thats a bit hit and miss live.

Mike

dcc701

#3 Post by dcc701 »

Thanks mikeb.
So I'll just retrain a pup on fat32 now.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

The many threaded life eh :D

As you found in some cases FAT is the bunny....especially when it comes to portability.

mike

amigo

#5 Post by amigo »

mikeb is correct, although the suggested 'copy' method using dd for the whole drive would actually duplicate the ext3 FS on the new drive anyway... The upshot would be 'Don't use dd for copying'.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

'Don't use dd for copying'.
yes it gets thrown around this forum a bit too much and its potentially very destructive.

mike