Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 04 Sep 2015, 21:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How do I install specific drivers and utilities in FatDog64?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2015, 06:02    Post subject:  How do I install specific drivers and utilities in FatDog64?  

Morning, everybody.

After the shenanigans of the last couple of days, successfully upgrading my BIOS in preparation for my soon-to-arrive Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (thanks, Keisha!), I've decided to celebrate by installing FatDog64. I like it!

However, I DO have one or two queries. I run a couple of other 64-bit distros, so I've got all the necessary stuff, like printer drivers and a small suite of utilities (like BitMeterOS, which I use to keep track of my broadband usage...works great!)

How on EARTH do you install stuff, outside of the GSlapt PM? I've very quickly discovered that you can't install stuff just by clicking on it.....nothing happens, so there's obviously a different way of doing it. Can any kind soul enlighten me?

And how do you set up the firewall? I also can't get Skype to work, despite having installed, and loaded the Skype .sfs from GSlapt. It's a wee bit different from the 32-bit Puppies!

Regards,

Mike. Smile

s243a

PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr 2015, 08:59    Post subject: Re: Configuring, and installing stuff on FatDog64
Subject description: How do I install specific drivers and utilities in FatDog64?

Mike Walsh wrote:
Morning, everybody.

After the shenanigans of the last couple of days, successfully upgrading my BIOS in preparation for my soon-to-arrive Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (thanks, Keisha!), I've decided to celebrate by installing FatDog64. I like it!

However, I DO have one or two queries. I run a couple of other 64-bit distros, so I've got all the necessary stuff, like printer drivers and a small suite of utilities (like BitMeterOS, which I use to keep track of my broadband usage...works great!)

How on EARTH do you install stuff, outside of the GSlapt PM? I've very quickly discovered that you can't install stuff just by clicking on it.....nothing happens, so there's obviously a different way of doing it. Can any kind soul enlighten me?

And how do you set up the firewall? I also can't get Skype to work, despite having installed, and loaded the Skype .sfs from GSlapt. It's a wee bit different from the 32-bit Puppies!

Regards,

Mike. Smile

If it has the right extension and it is binaries inside rather then source then you can simply right click and select install. I forget the extension. It is something like "tar.txz" or "txz.gz".

If the package is in another format than there are conversion tools:
jamesbond proves tar2txz here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98334

and other conversion tools can be found in the contribute thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748

Finally instructions for building from source can be found here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/pet-package.html

You'll need to get the right version of devx. Devx for fatdog can be found here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/700/
get the version that matches your fatdog iso.

ps Avoid 32 bit binaries when possible. However, if you need them you can try the 32 bit compatibility library.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: