Conky themes

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
B.K. Johnson

Conky themes

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@Desktop and Conky theme devotees

Personally, I am not a Conky devotee. Don't have it installed, Never had in any puppy, But I came across this article and decided to share,
http://www.maketecheasier.com/awesome-c ... n=31032015

If you think your fave is better, prettier, more informative, then show it here.

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

solo

#2 Post by solo »

Don't really consider my Conky setup better than others, but it works for me.
I really didn't want it to completely dominate my desktop, so it isn't too big, and it sits in the bottom right corner.

This is the code:

Code: Select all

color0 E37305	
color1 ffffff
color2 4B96AF
color3 ffab00
color5 4B9632
color6 494949

alignment Bottom_right
background no
border_width 1
cpu_avg_samples 2
default_color white
default_outline_color white
default_shade_color white
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
use_xft yes
xftfont Eurostile:size=8
gap_x 10
gap_y 0
minimum_size 200 5
net_avg_samples 2
no_buffers no
double_buffer yes
out_to_console no
out_to_stderr no
extra_newline no
own_window yes
own_window_class Conky
own_window_type override
own_window_transparent yes
stippled_borders 0
update_interval 1.0
uppercase no
use_spacer none
show_graph_scale no
show_graph_range no

TEXT
${color0}${font Eurostile BQ:size=20}${exec ~/.conky/MyConky02/scripts/Puppylinux -c} $alignr${color1}${exec ~/.conky/scripts/MyConky02/Puppylinux -a}${exec ~/.conky/MyConky02/scripts/Puppylinux -b}.
${color0}${font Eurostile BQ:size=12}Kernel $alignr${color1}${exec echo "`uname -r`"}.
${color3}$hr
${font Eurostile:size=7}${color1}Pupsave free: $alignr$color${execi 5 /usr/sbin/calcfreespace.sh} KB
$alignr${font Eurostile:size=7}${color0}${exec ~/.conky/MyConky02/scripts/Today day} ${color1}${exec ~/.conky/MyConky02/scripts/Today date} ${exec ~/.conky/MyConky02/scripts/Today month} ${exec ~/.conky/MyConky02/scripts/Today year}
${color3}System $hr
${color1}Frequency: $alignr$color$freq Mhz
${color1}CPU 1: $alignr${color1}$cpu%
${color5}${cpubar cpu1 5,360}
${voffset -12}${color6}${cpubar cpu5 5,360}
${color6}${cpugraph 30,360 494949 AFFF64}
${color1}RAM Usage:$alignr$color $mem /$memmax - $memperc%
${color2}${membar 5,360}
${voffset -12}${color6}${cpubar cpu5 5,360}
${color6}${memgraph 30,360 494949 51ACC2}
${color3}Networking: $hr
${color1}Up:$color ${upspeed eth0} $alignr${color1}Down:$color ${downspeed eth0}
${color6}${upspeedgraph eth0 30,170 494949 C896C8} $alignr${color6}${downspeedgraph eth0 30,170 494949 FF9632}
${color1}Total: ${color1}${totalup eth0} $alignr${color1}Total: ${color1}${totaldown eth0}
${color3}$hr
${color1}Uptime:$alignr$color$uptime
One kind of nifty thing about it, is the way the cpubar and the membar have become borderless, by placing a bogus cpubar underneath which has the same color as the desktop backround, and then have it vertically offset in such way that it exactly coveres the cpubar and/or member border.
It's a cheat which is only possible if your conky backround is a uniform color.
One thing to keep in mind though, is that the vertical offset function seems to affect the vertical conky allignment if it is set at the bottom. Every instance of voffset seems to make conky as a whole creep upwards.

EDIT: I was asked to give the path of the relevant files, which is really what I should have done to begin with, so sorry for that people. Better late than never.
The file containing the code above is called conkyrc, and is situated, in this case, in a folder called MyConky02. The MyConky02 folder, in turn, is situated in the folder named .conky, which is in the root. So the path would be ~/.conky/MyConky02/conkyrc. Within the MyConky02 folder is a folder called scripts, which contains two scripts, one called Puppylinux, and one called Today, the code of which I posted below this post.
Attachments
myconky.png
(22.51 KiB) Downloaded 783 times
Last edited by solo on Wed 15 Apr 2015, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @B.K. Johnson

This now gives me some favorites to reference for use for it shows the running systems behavior in a friendly and understandable way.

TheseThis should become an real interesting thread.

Edit: (remove the prior remark....it does not appear to be an easy effort to make a PET of some configs and may be different for each implementation).

Thanks MUCHLY! :!:

Moat

#4 Post by Moat »

solo wrote:Don't really consider my Conky setup better than others, but it works for me.
Solo - I like this one! The Eurostile font is new to me, too - looks nice. Care to share the conky's accompanying script? :wink:

Bob

solo

#5 Post by solo »

Moat wrote: Solo - I like this one! The Eurostile font is new to me, too - looks nice. Care to share the conky's accompanying script? :wink:

Bob
Thanks Bob! There's only two scripts there that I used, and I'd love to give credit to whoever put them together, but I honestly can't remember where they came from or who made them.

But enjoy!

Here's the Puppy Linux version:

#!/bin/sh

case $1 in

-a)	
	if [ -f /etc/puppyversion ] ; then
	echo "`head /etc/puppyversion -c 2 | sed 's/[0-9]/&./'`"
	#else
	#echo "`cat /etc/DISTRO_SPECS | grep "DISTRO_VERSION=" | cut -d "=" -f2 | awk '{print $1}' | head -c 2 | sed 's/[0-9]/&./'`"
	fi
	;;
-b)
	if [ -f /etc/puppyversion ] ; then
	echo "`cat /etc/puppyversion`"
	else
	echo "`cat /etc/DISTRO_SPECS | grep "DISTRO_VERSION=" | cut -d "=" -f2`"  #| awk '{print $1}' | head -c 3 | cut -b 3 &`"
	fi
	;;
-c)	
    echo "`cat /etc/DISTRO_SPECS | grep "DISTRO_NAME=" | cut -c 14- | sed "s/'//g"`"
	;;
esac
And here's the Date script:

#!/bin/sh

date=`date +%d`
day=`date +%A`
month=`date +%b`
year=`date +%Y`

case "$1" in
date)
	echo $date
	;;
day)
	echo $day
	;;
month)
	echo $month
	;;
year)
	echo $year
	;;
esac
EDIT: I actually remember now that I shamelessly yanked these two scripts from the pWidgets package.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35601
So credit for these scripts goes to zigbert, 01micko, trio and tasmod.
Last edited by solo on Wed 15 Apr 2015, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

solo

#6 Post by solo »

Here's a page with a number of helpful tips and tricks for Conky. Some are very configuration specific, so not everything might work with the setup you have, but there are some real nuggets in there.

http://conky.pitstop.free.fr/wiki/index ... s_%28en%29

Moat

#7 Post by Moat »

solo wrote:I actually remember now that I shamelessly yanked these two scripts from the pWidgets package.
Ah, yes - thanks, solo. I just re-pointed the conkyrc paths to my existing Pwidgets scripts, and bingo! Works.

Two interesting "bugs" I noticed;

1) The date script appears a CPU hog on my old dual-core laptop, using ~8%. Commented out for now.

2) The same call lines '$mem' and '$memmax' are displaying different results between your conky and some others I'm running (pic attached below). Odd!

Lots of very cool (and elaborate!) conkies and info over @ the Crunchbang forums -

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33811

Bob
Attachments
RAM compare1.jpg
RAM readout comparison
(22.65 KiB) Downloaded 624 times

solo

#8 Post by solo »

Hi Bob!

I can't say for now what causes this discrepency in RAM memory readout, but if it's correct that you are only using 74,9 Mb of RAM while running Puppy Linux, I wouldn't say it's impossible, but that would sure be one of the lightest Puppies ever made.
I'm actually more interested in the 800 Mhz frequency readout, which should most probably be 1600 Mhz, like the other conky.

solo

#9 Post by solo »

I found a way to get the same today date readout without using the Today script. So perhaps this will solve the CPU hog.

Replace this line in your conkyrc,

$alignr${font Eurostile:size=7}${color0}${exec ~/.conky/MyConky02/scripts/Today day} ${color1}${exec ~/.conky/MyConky02/scripts/Today date} ${exec ~/.conky/MyConky02/scripts/Today month} ${exec ~/.conky/MyConky02/scripts/Today year}
with this line:

${color1}${alignr}${color0}${time %A }${color1}${time %e %B %G}
Nice and simple! :)

EDIT: Also, a way to get conky to understand there are two processors so as to get a proper frequency readout:

Replace this line,

${color1}Frequency: $alignr$color$freq Mhz
with this line:

${color1}Frequency: $alignr$color$ freq (2) Mhz
I have no way to test this, so let me know how it works out.

EDIT: There are two ways of displaying RAM usage in conky. The first is displaying RAM usage including the use of cached memory, and the second is displaying the use of RAM memory minus the use of cached memory.

If you want to have RAM usage displayed including cached memory, then you do not have to change conkyrc, because that is the current setting. it is located in the string of configuration settings above the TEXT area, as

no_buffers no
If, however, you want your RAM usage displayed without the cached memory usage, you will have to change this into:

no_buffers yes

Moat

#10 Post by Moat »

Thanks for the further tips, solo! :)
solo wrote:Nice and simple! :)
Indeed - simple AND no noticeable CPU hit. Excellent!
solo wrote:... a way to get conky to understand there are two processors so as to get a proper frequency readout... I have no way to test this, so let me know how it works out.
If one wants a '(2)' inserted between the frequency number and 'Mhz'... it actually works quite well! :P Really, though, my above screenshot just so happened to catch the Mhz readouts - which are always jumping about - at a dissimilar value, at that particular instant. On average, they display the same.

According to the conky variables page here - http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html - averaging the load % of multi-core CPU's uses this line -

${cpu cpu0}
It's not so clear on averaging frequency, though - so I just extrapolated the above to this, for frequency -

${freq freq0}
... and it seems to work... who knows if it's actually averaging my dual-core speed or not, but the output at least appears to be appropriate.
solo wrote: If, however, you want your RAM usage displayed without the cached memory usage, you will have to change this into:

no_buffers yes
Ahh, yes - that's it - thanks for that tidbit. Figured it was that cached/virtual/actual memory in use thing, but was unaware/unexpected of the effect 'no_buffers' had on the displayed value, being it's above the 'TEXT' portion of the conkyrc. Neat!

Bob

solo

#11 Post by solo »

Moat wrote:If one wants a '(2)' inserted between the frequency number and 'Mhz'... it actually works quite well! :P Really, though, my above screenshot just so happened to catch the Mhz readouts - which are always jumping about - at a dissimilar value, at that particular instant. On average, they display the same.

According to the conky variables page here - http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html - averaging the load % of multi-core CPU's uses this line -

${cpu cpu0}
It's not so clear on averaging frequency, though - so I just extrapolated the above to this, for frequency -

${freq freq0}
... and it seems to work... who knows if it's actually averaging my dual-core speed or not, but the output at least appears to be appropriate.
Wow! You might just have discovered a to this point unknown variable function in conky. :)
So, just out of curiosity, what happens if you would replace the freq0 with the number 2?
Because I must have probably made the mistake of assuming that those brackets I used were part of the syntax, when they were actually there to signify a variable value.

Moat

#12 Post by Moat »

solo wrote:So, just out of curiosity, what happens if you would replace the freq0 with the number 2?
^^ It'll show freq of core 2 (see below).

Playing around with this further, I've discovered my above assumption about using '0' to average clock frequency is wrong, too, as it appears to default to freq of core 1. So, it looks like conky can't average clock speed of multiple cores (that I've found, so far anyways...), like it can average % using the 'cpu' functions.

But - individual core clock speed can be assigned, using curly brackets and core numbers 1 to whatever...

${freq 1}
.. where the '1' is core 1, and a '2' would be core 2, etc...

So, my current 2-core code added to your conkyrc is...

${color1}Frequency Core 1: $alignr$color${freq 1} Mhz
${color1}Frequency Core 2: $alignr$color${freq 2} Mhz
... and the displayed values are indeed differing between the two. Success!? :shock:
solo wrote:Because I must have probably made the mistake of assuming that those brackets I used were part of the syntax, when they were actually there to signify a variable value.
Right - looks like the the brackets should be left out!

More to the topic, Teejay's Conky Manager page has a couple of excellent conky theme packs - may take a bit of fiddling to get working on Puppy, but a lot of really cool themes worth checking out -

http://www.teejeetech.in/p/conky-manager.html

For those with a system (Ubuntu, Mint, etc) that'll run it, his Conky Manager app is excellent! On Puppy, I've been managing my conkies via the Pwidgets GUI - works a treat, for the most part.

Bob

nilsonmorales

#13 Post by nilsonmorales »

Gif animated in conky
-Download a gif
-separate the gif

gifsicle --unoptimize --explode /root/temp/imag018la6.gif --output /root/temp/temp.gif
-Edit conkyrc
update_interval 0.1
imlib_cache_size 0
template1 /root/temp/temp.gif.
template2 -p 10,300 -s 265x24
and
Conky Animación con imágenes
${if_updatenr 01}${image ${template1}000 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 02}${image ${template1}001 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 03}${image ${template1}002 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 04}${image ${template1}003 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 05}${image ${template1}004 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 06}${image ${template1}005 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 07}${image ${template1}006 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 08}${image ${template1}007 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 09}${image ${template1}008 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 10}${image ${template1}009 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 11}${image ${template1}010 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 12}${image ${template1}011 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 13}${image ${template1}012 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 14}${image ${template1}013 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 15}${image ${template1}014 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 16}${image ${template1}015 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 17}${image ${template1}016 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 18}${image ${template1}017 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 19}${image ${template1}018 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 20}${image ${template1}019 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 21}${image ${template1}020 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 22}${image ${template1}021 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 23}${image ${template1}022 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 24}${image ${template1}023 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 25}${image ${template1}024 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 26}${image ${template1}025 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 27}${image ${template1}026 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 28}${image ${template1}027 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 29}${image ${template1}028 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 30}${image ${template1}029 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 31}${image ${template1}030 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 32}${image ${template1}031 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 33}${image ${template1}032 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 34}${image ${template1}033 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 35}${image ${template1}034 ${template2}}${endif}
${if_updatenr 36}${image ${template1}035 ${template2}}${endif}
Checkit out :shock:
http://postimg.org/image/jh01cj89v/
[b][url=http://nilsonmorales.blogspot.com/]My blog |[/url][/b][b][url=https://github.com/woofshahenzup]| Github[/url][/b]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5tz5vrrX/imag018la6.gif[/img]
[img]http://s5.postimg.org/7h2fid8pz/botones_logos3.png[/img]

solo

#14 Post by solo »

nilsonmorales wrote: Checkit out :shock:
http://postimg.org/image/jh01cj89v/
That is a very cool trick!

I must admit through, I was looking with more interest at your CPU stats while that puppy was running back and forth.
It sure takes up a lot of resources, but then it does have to load 10 images a second continuously.
But I really enjoy seeing something this. It makes me wonder what else is possible.

solo

#15 Post by solo »

I got fascinated by this possibility of doing animations in conky, and I figured out a way to make conky call a feh slideshow, which kinda gives the same result, if not for the fact that feh also appears in the system tray, which I have to figure out how to not have it do that. Oh, and another snag, no transparancies! :(

Anyway, for those interested. You need to have feh installed, obviously, and then I suppose the easiest thing would be to create a folder inside your ~/.conky/YourConky/ folder, where you could place all the images of your animation/slideshow. I called mine fehnimation.

So in the end, the code read like this:

${texeci 600 feh -x -g 32x32+1225+430 -D 0.1 ~/.conky/MyConky01/fehnimation/}
Okay, 600 stands for seconds, -x stands for borderless, -g stands for geometry and those numbers after that tell you that the picture/slideshow size is 32x32 pixels, and then those other numbers are the horizontal and vertical offset in pixels, so you can place it where-ever on your desktop. The -D stands for slideshow, and the number that follows for the delay in time until the next picture loads. I made that 0.1, so that means 10 pictures a second. What follows then is the location of the pictures.

Now, this works, but there's a lot of snags. Like I said, feh appears in the system tray, which is not what you want if its part of conky, and the code itself seems to make (null) appear in characters in your conky.

But for that brief moment, while making the slideshow exactly cover the (null) by means of the offset function, I had a glorious little animation in my conky.

nilsonmorales

#16 Post by nilsonmorales »

Nice solo
I imagine a conky background with a gradient animated gif, just a idea.
cya.
[b][url=http://nilsonmorales.blogspot.com/]My blog |[/url][/b][b][url=https://github.com/woofshahenzup]| Github[/url][/b]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5tz5vrrX/imag018la6.gif[/img]
[img]http://s5.postimg.org/7h2fid8pz/botones_logos3.png[/img]

solo

#17 Post by solo »

You gave me an idea. Not a gradient backround though. What I wanted to do instead, was make a feh slideshow animation of the conky window building itself up in sequence at startup, which will only run once and then unload itself being replaced by the actual conky window.

And then I made it, and it works.

The only downside is that there remains a split second interval between the unloading of feh and the appearance of the actual conky. Which is a bit of a bummer, but not a total showstopper.

The code I used in conkyrc, is this:

${execpi 6000 feh -x -g 376x357+1059+510 -D 0.1 --cycle-once ~/.conky/MyConky02/fehnimation/}
So, I used the execpi instead of texeci command, because the --cycle-once command, which tells it to only run once and then unload, does not properly work with texeci. It will, in fact, cycle twice, which is totally useless for what I want. The downside of using execpi, is that it executes before anything else, which is why you have that split second interval between the slideshow and conky appearing.
Increased 600 to 6000 seconds, which means this animation will reload after 6000 seconds, but by that time I'll be walking the dog. :)

Wish I could show a small video of how it looks, but since it happens at startup, or an x-server restart, it's pretty hard to catch on film.

EDIT: I just found out that the interval time can be reduced considerably, and becomes a whole lot less obtrusive, if you make the feh slideshow/animation line of code the last one in conkyrc.

EDIT: Shot a crappy video (mpg) with a crappy camera of the actual monitor screen as it happens. Very small, just under 1Mb, but I don't know what the size ceiling for attachments is on this forum.
Anyway, if someone really needs to see an impression of what it looks like, they can drop me a message and I can send it by e-mail.