Puppy (Murga-Linux) forum font fuzzy?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
rufwoof

Puppy (Murga-Linux) forum font fuzzy?

#1 Post by rufwoof »

Anyone else noticed that this Puppy boards font seems less clear than other phpBB boards?

Click the thumbnail and then right-click and select view image to see the full sized sort of differences that I'm seeing.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

The fonts in your three examples all look exactly the same to me. Maybe I don't understand what you mean.

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

Yeah, I can't discern much of a difference between the three examples, either. Do you have your browser set to allow all pages to use their own (chosen) fonts, or have that overridden with a specific font?
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

Makoto wrote:Yeah, I can't discern much of a difference between the three examples, either. Do you have your browser set to allow all pages to use their own (chosen) fonts, or have that overridden with a specific font?
I have it set to allow pages to use their own fonts.

With the puppy web site that has seems to put more of a white shadow around characters than other sides, for instance a zero character looks more white in the inner circle of that character than on other sites. Which overall tends to make text appear a bit more blurry in general.

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

I've taken some comparable text parts of your screenshot and blown them up to 400%, and some other text from the Puppy and Debian forums (see below) - I can't see any differences beyond the ones caused by the different text and background colors. (The Puppy forum has black text, while the others' is a medium grey.) Generally, a stronger contrast between foreground and background color will cause more "hard edges", or "white shadows" - look at the "Test" text, it's the exact same font in different grey shades. (The effect is a bit different here, because my system seems to use greyscale rather than colored font smoothing.)
Attachments
fonts.png
(28.66 KiB) Downloaded 179 times