savefolder without symbolic link

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
gyro

savefolder without symbolic link

#1 Post by gyro »

Current savefolder implementation uses 3 symbolic links.
1) Local to the "init" script. Gets lost once "init" is finished.
2) Local to "rc.shutdown". Used to copy files from ram on first shutdown.
3) The one in place after "init" is finished, and remains active while puppy is running.

The first 2 quite definitely have no affect on the running puppy, and could be replaced with any code that puts the appropriate files in the appropriate place.

I had assumed that the 3rd one is used only by puppy utilities, and aufs had no need of it. So I removed it's creation from the "init" script.
The result, puppy still ran fine, but of course many puppy utilities that accessed "/initrd/pup_rw" failed.

To compensate, I also changed "init" to store the real path of the savefolder in "SAVE_LAYER" in PUPSTATE.
The latest "freememapplet_tray" that uses "SAVE_LAYER" worked once it had been recompiled with larger buffers to accommodate the much longer "SAVE_LAYER" string.
"snapmergepuppy" worked after a

Code: Select all

BASEMTP="`df-FULL --output=target "$BASE" | tail -1`"
was added.
"rc.shutdown" had the line

if [ "$uniFS" == "aufs" -a "$SAVE_LAYER" == "/pup_rw" ]; then
replaced with

if [ "$uniFS" == "aufs" -a "`df-FULL --output=fstype /initrd/pup_rw | tail -1`" != "tmpfs" ]; then
So, we could get rid of the symbolic link, but many puppy utilities would need to be patched. The symbolic link is there just for the convenience of puppy utilities, and it is very convenient.

I am not recommending that we pursue this to produce a real puppy. It just reinforces the idea that aufs only requires it's branches to be a directory in a Linux filesystem, nothing more.

gyro

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

to be a directory in a Linux filesystem
Linux: everything is a file! :wink:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

gyro

#3 Post by gyro »

LazY Puppy wrote:
to be a directory in a Linux filesystem
Linux: everything is a file! :wink:
Yes, and your point is??
gyro