Puppy Live CD Comes Through

For discussions about security.
8Geee

Puppy Live CD Comes Through

#1 Post by 8Geee »

As a person that is concerned with privacy/security, I take measures in slacko5.7-2015 and the new 'a' version to help new folks get a good experience. One of the more complicated issues is the browser, and what it treats as safe. Cookies, https, etc.

Today was one of those days. I want to purchase a few items for the ageing eee pc I own. eBay has a few reputable sellers with whom I do business. PayPal has always been good here. I buy the items and put into basket. But upon checkout, FF27 warns "unsafe handshake" and will not let me check-out the items. Nope, no way to get past that without lowering defenses. I log out and think a while. Not too long, I come up with a solution that only Puppy can provide.

Pop in the CD and load. Reconfigure FF27 to accept an insecure handshake, and off again to eBay. Voila, items in cart are now paid and on their way. Logout and shutdown w/o save. No harm, no foul to my real stuff on the USB stick.

So at the end of it all, I needed the better security of the Live-CD.

Thought something positive needed to get posted here about security.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

I use a [Puppy on a] multi-session DVD-RW to do online banking and buying stuff online...

And.normally I NEVER save session changes.

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Running from CD is too slow for me (especially the copy to RAM part). A frugal install to HD and running totally in RAM (without savefile) is fastest and as safe. If you must boot from CD it is a good idea to copy the main SFS to HD which will speed things up.

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

This was just a temp. run to get 'er done. Day-to-day frugal install.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Moose On The Loose

#5 Post by Moose On The Loose »

nic007 wrote:Running from CD is too slow for me (especially the copy to RAM part). A frugal install to HD and running totally in RAM (without savefile) is fastest and as safe. If you must boot from CD it is a good idea to copy the main SFS to HD which will speed things up.
Also Puppy will run just fine in VirtualBox.
The copy in VirtualBox can't get to the real hardware no matter how hard it tries so you can safely do the banking on the virtual machine.