USB keyboard won't work after HD install

Booting, installing, newbie
Kebab_tomten

USB keyboard won't work after HD install

#1 Post by Kebab_tomten »

I have an USB Keybord that not works in puppy. It works the first time i boot puppy but not after i installed puppy?
i have an link to an driver for it http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=781
but i dont now how to do.

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

if it worked once then you already have a suitable driver for it.

have you tried running the keyboard wizard again?

Another thing to try is to delete the file 'keyboardtype' in the /.etc folder. and reboot. As this file is only called at startup ( afaik ), then any changes you make won't be recognised without a shutdown.

There are a lot of posts in this forum about USB keyoard problems, it's worth searching through them. Even if you don't find an answer it gives you a better insight as to what might be the problem.

Hope this helps

Rich

danleff

#3 Post by danleff »

The link that you gave just describes the drivers already included in the Linux Kernel. It is an old description.

The way that USB keyboards are detected differs depending on what version of Puppy that you are using. If it is Puppy 1.0.2, then it uses the 2.6 kernel version. If the version is 1.0.3, then you are usng the 2.4 series kernel.

When you search the forum, make sure that you are using directions for the correct version of Puppy.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

kebab_tomten

#4 Post by kebab_tomten »

It doesnt work to remove keyboardtype it still not work..when i look in usbsettnings (i thing it was call so) i see my Compay internet keyboard!
some one that now what to do to get it work?

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

Did you try Rich's suggestion to try the wizard wizard and then reboot?

Your keyboard is recognized, but the drivers are not loaded, or you do not have USB clicked in wizard wizard.

What version of Puppy are you using? As I mentioned, this is important to know.

Do you also have a PS/2 keyboard connected to this system as well?

--Hannibal Smith

NE43

#6 Post by NE43 »

Clicking USB in Keyboard/Mouse Wizard and unplugging PS/2 keyboard worked for me.
Ortek MCK-90.
Thanks very much people.

danleff

#7 Post by danleff »

The problem is that each user may be using a different version. I found that the 1.0.2 version of Puppy (with the 2.6 series kernel) required different modules to be loaded than the new 1.0.3 with the 2.4 kernel.

Ditto with having both a PS/2 and USB mouse working at the same time.

If you are using Puppy version 1.0.3, then make sure that you use the wizard wizard-->change the mouse and keynoard, then click the option that you have a usb keyboard.

You can then hit <ctrl><alt><backspace> to exit the GUI. Type in xwin and then see if it does work.

If not, then you have to load the usb keyboard modules.

Using Rox, open the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. Add the following at the bottom of the file;

modprobe usbkbd
modprobe keybdev

Choose from the menu in Rox File-->Save.

Reboot Puppy and see if the keyboard works.

--Hannibal Smith