CorelDraw Export (BMP to .rle)

Talk about and post software packages known to work or packaged for Puppy.
GarySmith

CorelDraw Export (BMP to .rle)

#1 Post by GarySmith »

CorelDRAW and Graphics Users

Bumped into a file extension issue that I'd heard about years back though I've forgotten context. BMP and RLE are associated file name extensions when exporting a graphic file from CorelDRAW's Paint program. I'm also seeing this with JPG export to .tff (I think those last two letters).

This was stunning at first but remembered the second associated extension letters for .rle and simply changed those letters to .BMP and they seem to work just fine.

Will check back as I learn more.

Gary

The BMP RLE 8 Compression Algorithm
http://www.fileformat.info/format/bmp/corion-rle8.htm

Share on stumbleuponShare on redditShare on twitterShare on tumblrMore Sharing Services

Original Documentation

--- BMP RLE_8 compression

The BMP can be compressed in two modes, absolute mode and RLE mode. Both modes can occur anywhere in a single bitmap.

The RLE mode is a simple RLE mechanism, the first byte contains the
count, the second byte the pixel to be replicatet. If the count byte
is 0, the second byte is a special, like EOL or delta.

In absolute mode, the second byte contains the number of bytes to be copied litteraly. Each absolute run must be word-aligned that means you will may have to add an aditional padding byte which is not included in the count. After an absolute run, RLE compression continues.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

How do I write a bitmap with rle in linux?
It sounds like random parts of the bitmap can be rle (rather than the whole image having to be rle). So it would be possible to optimise the size of any given bitmap....
I'm also seeing this with JPG export to .tff (I think those last two letters)
That doesn't make any sense.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

GarySmith

#3 Post by GarySmith »

disciple wrote:How do I write a bitmap with rle in linux?
It sounds like random parts of the bitmap can be rle (rather than the whole image having to be rle). So it would be possible to optimise the size of any given bitmap....
I'm also seeing this with JPG export to .tff (I think those last two letters)
That doesn't make any sense.
These different file extensions are related to the graphic files and Puppy Linux must be exporting them with the new file extension. At first a shocker but a long time ago heard that rle was related to the bmp file extension.

Probably got the JPG export change letters incorrect but must be similar issue. Both of these files work as expected and I only changed the extension manually.

Still, it startled on exporting at first.

Gary
______

Pelo

FYI CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2017 : 719 euros.(professsional

#4 Post by Pelo »

FYI CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2017 : 719 euros.(professsional)