WlanMaker

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

watchdog wrote:What might it be done in order to share internet in slacko 6.3.0 or tahr 6.0.5?
WlanMaker is NOT an Internet sharing tool. It does NOT provide Internet access to client computers.
There are other Puppy projects that can provide Internet sharing.
Using the precise hostapd which recognizes the Ralink RT73USB dongle (module rt73usb).
I don't have one of these. It may or may not be capable of switching to an access point. But you could test it yourself in WlanMaker and report.

Or are you stating that rt73usb CAN work as an AP?

watchdog

#17 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote: I don't have one of these. It may or may not be capable of switching to an access point. But you could test it yourself in WlanMaker and report.

Or are you stating that rt73usb CAN work as an AP?
Yes, it does work as access point, I think. But I was not able to share the eth0 internet connection. I have success only in slacko 5.6. I'm a newbie about networking and I don't know much about LANs: the access point works in slacko 6.3.0 or tahr 6.0.5 as I can connect a wifi tablet (I read "connected") but there is not internet connection. I think shareinternet 2.2.4 or 2.2.6 needs some updates for recent puppies.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

The problem that you are describing suggests that the kernel is at fault. It must be built with certain modules that provide internet sharing. They are part of iptables.

You should ask in the Slacko 630 or Tahrpup 605 threads.

watchdog

#19 Post by watchdog »

Many thanks for the explanation. I'll stick with slacko 5.6 for the wifi hotspot job. No need to compile a new kernel for slacko 6.3.0. When I have time I'll try to switch kernels.

watchdog

#20 Post by watchdog »

I have solved the sharing internet problem making a wifi hotspot switching in tahr 6.0.5 32 bit to the fatdog's 3.18.7 kernel which has full 32-64 bit support. Not tried wlanmaker but the SFR's HowTo worked for me.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87584

Atle

#21 Post by Atle »

So then a experiment has been done...

I a fresh Lupu SuperLupu 004 (5.2.8.7)...

Messed around a bit trying to fit in the smaller Hiawatha 9.3, but ended at the XAMPP.SFS. The i installed Joomla to it... All worked very fine.

Then i installed the .db and your.pet. Made a name as GoTo:192.168.100.1

So that the user knows where to go with his browser and added a password. All fine... just some error messages, but no showstoppers.

Then i logged on from another laptop to the ready set up box.

And guess what... It just WORKED...

So what are we looking at here rcrsn51?

We are now looking at something very special as I can set up the Joomla to become almost whatever the world of web can offer.

Filesharing, FTP, chat, forums, and what else Joomla can do.

Have a look into the repo of Joomla plugins just to get an idea of what one can now turn a laptop into.

So my next move now, that will be offline, is to connect the laptop set up with xampp, joomla and Wlanmaker with wired internet and the see if my joomla can connect to that while the Wlan serve the other laptop.

This will be VERY exciting :-)

THANK FOR THIS GREAT JOB rcrsn51

Atle

#22 Post by Atle »

Well... that worked to...

The laptop xampp, joomla and what not is connected to the internet with wired connection while the joomla is served trough Wlanmaker.

This will also apply to mobile internet. And this is VERY interesting setup.

I changed the index.php in the root folder of the server so it now points straight to my jooma upon 192.168.100.1...

So the next big step now is to make this go automatic.

So once logged to the AP made, whatever you put into the browser, sends you straight to the joomla (192.168.100.1)

Wow I am so happy about this...

Atle

#23 Post by Atle »

How do you stop wlanmaker from terminal?

rcrsn51

#24 Post by rcrsn51 »

Atle wrote:How do you stop wlanmaker from terminal?
Ctrl-C. And maybe "killall hostapd".

Atle

#25 Post by Atle »

Thanks... Ctrl C does it...

I have tried to create a startup script by simply having this:

#!/bin/sh

# wlanmaker wlan0 nameofSSID Password

The thing is to have one "concept"... Could be "Puppy goes local" kind of server. maybe

wlanmaker wlan0 FreeLinuxNow none

But THAT did not work

Also a stop script i want for the desktop.

But before a startup script at least for FatDog WpaGui needs to be stopped first. I think i Slacko 64 that was not necessary(freesbee)

The sort of idea is that people will start and stop this many times, but changing the SSID and PW is something less often...
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
(89.69 KiB) Downloaded 851 times

rcrsn51

#26 Post by rcrsn51 »

Change line 30 of /usr/sbin/wlanmaker to

Code: Select all

hostapd /tmp/hostapd.conf $4
Run it with

wlanmaker wlan0 ssid passphrase -B
The -B option sends everything into the background.

Now try running wlanmaker from inside a script.

Stop it with

killall udhcpd hostapd

Atle

#27 Post by Atle »

And that was just perfect. works like a charm...

Thanks rcrsn51

A preview is ready..

stemsee

#28 Post by stemsee »

I had a problem running the routermaker as AP the solution was to load the nat_* module manually, by the way.

rcrsn51

#29 Post by rcrsn51 »

stemsee wrote:I had a problem running the routermaker as AP the solution was to load the nat_* module manually, by the way.
That was the problem with RouterMaker in many Puppies. To do internet sharing, you needed to mess around with the iptables modules.

Because WlanMaker does NOT do internet sharing, it's not an issue.

Atle

#30 Post by Atle »

I think this post could be of interest to all viewers of this thread...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106183

rcrsn51

#31 Post by rcrsn51 »

Adding Domain Name Lookup to WlanMaker

Install dnsmasq from a repo, like here.

Create the file /etc/dnsmasq.conf

interface=wlan0
listen-address=127.0.0.1
dhcp-range=192.168.100.10,192.168.100.250,12h
Open /usr/sbin/wlanmaker and go to line 19

udhcpd /tmp/udhcpd.conf
Delete it. Then insert

killall dnsmasq; dnsmasq
Add a line to /etc/hosts

192.168.100.1 www.myserver.com
Dnsmasq will use the hosts file to translate domain names into IP addresses.

Start wlanmaker.

Start a web server on 192.168.100.1. Requests from a client for www.myserver.com will be redirected to the local web server.

Atle

#32 Post by Atle »

Hmmm... I did not really succeed in getting any results in this...

But I shall remaster a SULU004 with my settings...

When i follow the procedure, nothing really happens...

This was both in Fatdog and Lupu...

When trying to log on to the address i get:

This site can’t be reached

myserver.com’s server DNS address could not be found.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

only 192.168.100.1 produces result...

Update:

Here is the ISO i have used to do this. The only glitch that i could note was that desktop icons for Wlanmaker was not reproduced and must be pulled out to the desktop from /root/scripts.

But this is the 32 bits version of what i did not get to work after following the post above. I might have done something wrong and i might not.

Never the less i updated the Joomla to 3.5.1 and that is the release version as the Sulu had the beta6 initially.

The file can be downloaded HERE

atle

atle

jamesbond

#33 Post by jamesbond »

@Atle - I tried to find your post about redirecting all DNS lookup to the machine same machine that hands out the DHCP IP. I can't find that post, so I will answer it here. I will skip the DHCP part - I assume that it has been handled over by wlanmaker. To do what you want to do, you need to enable run dnsmasq with this flag: "-h -2 -b -R -A '/#/your-wlan-ip-from-wlanmaker". This should work with dnsmasq started by wlanmaker assuming that it doesn't hog the DNS port as well (if it does, then tell wlanmaker not to meddle with DNS ports - or somehow, merge the two dnsmasq configs together). Make sure that wlanmaker returns "your-wlan-ip-from-wlanmaker" as the DNS server when handing out IP address via DHCP.

It is easy to test this without wlanmaker. Run "dnsmasq -h -2 -b -R -A '/#/1.2.3.4 -d -q" (the last two extra param is to for debugging purposes so you can see what is happening) in one terminal, then do "echo nameserver 0.0.0.0 > /etc/resolv.conf", then open another terminal and do "nslookup abc.com", or "nslookup google.com", or "nslookup somesault.info" and see what IP address they resolve to. They all should resolve to 1.2.3.4.

The rest of your problem is easy - make sure you don't accidentally enable IP forwarding on your "router/server", so the only machine the students can connect to is your router/server. Your machine can still happily connect to Internet through its other interface (eth0, I suppose?). EDIT: I see from earlier posts that wlanmaker doesn't attempt to share internet, so yes this is already taken care of.

If what I say here is over the top for you - don't worry, I'm sure rcrsn51 knows what I'm talking about. He could help to incorporate what I said above into wlanmaker and automate the entire process for you if he's motivated enough :D
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Atle

#34 Post by Atle »

Thanks JamesBond... I saved this page and shall try it offline later. Got all the files ready and saved to test.

As for rcrsn51, i can just cross my fingers and hope, but i believe it will be a amazing result when this is up and going as it changes the way we think network, if not a lot, at least a bit.

Already I have enjoyed the benefits of having Wlanmaker to assist in file transfers as my laptop has a error that messes up USB from time to time(physical damage).

And I believe that with just a little neat script in Moongose, that gives you a upload function and a decent solution for a nice looking download page that can be edited in Seamonkey, would give the 710 a new function that at least me have never seen in Linux distro before. I did not look to much at Moongose, but have realized the choice is very good.

With using Moongose I will not have the remaster problem due to large size as seen with xampp and other bloated progs.

thanks... this will be a exciting evening for me.

ATle

rcrsn51

#35 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Atle: I looked at this again.

1. I did a clean setup of Precise.
2. I installed wlanmaker as usual.
3. I followed the above procedure to install dnsmasq and remove udhcpd.
4. I started wlanmaker.
5. I went to another computer and connected to wlanmaker's WiFi network.
6. I ran: ping www.myserver.com
7. I got a valid response.