Simple-Remaster

Miscellaneous tools
stemsee

#31 Post by stemsee »

I will have to build in a partition format checker as I notice that cups doesn't survive the remaster, at least on ntfs partition. I will need to check fat32 to see if the same corruption occurs in usr/lib/cups/. I will let it check and warn but not prevent using the partition for the intermediate remaster directory, this wont occur when remastering in ram!

stemsee

#32 Post by stemsee »

Without investigating I wonder if the corruption occurs only with files or folders whose size is less than 1kb close to 0bytes. If this turns out to be correct then a workaround would be to suffix such files and store them in ram until the squash. Just a thought.

stemsee

#33 Post by stemsee »

So last to the party again!!!

fat32/ntfs cannot handle linux symlinks! Thanks for caring and sharing!

!laughable Cactus needles!

So if one wants to remaster on ntfs or fat32 then it must be inside file with internal ext2/3/4 formatted filesystem.

stemsee

#34 Post by stemsee »

A few improvemets particularly with regard to chrome extensions retained and history/profile removal.

to do detect fat/ntfs partition, work in ram or ext partitions only.
Attachments
Simple-Remaster.pet
(8.64 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

LazY Puppy

#35 Post by LazY Puppy »

So last to the party again!!!

fat32/ntfs cannot handle linux symlinks! Thanks for caring and sharing!
This is NOT the only thing that could cause trouble of some sort.

Anything what has to do with extracting files (like archives, .pet, .sfs etc) containing Linux file system structure should be done GENERALLY on a ext partition !!!

E.g. create a text file (without the .txt extension) on a ext partition and move or make a copy of it to vfat or ntfs partition - it will have changed some of its permissions then, since it will appear as a script file (those ones having green text).

You can see this effect also on binaries like the grub4dos boot loader, grldr.

More examples on this are the isolinux.bin file and/or the .msg files from within a ISO.

All of those appearing with green text as soon as they are stored on vfat/ntfs.

It's good to have ability to write to vfat/ntfs in Linux, but don't do this when editing files from a Linux file system structure !!!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

stemsee

#36 Post by stemsee »

Thanks! So I will basically have to remaster in a savefile/swapfile on a fat or ntfs system but the mksquashfs itself can be on the fat/ntfs!

So here is simple remaster which checks for fat/ntfs and also follows symlinks in case of home Home,

I will add the remaster on fat/nfs in temporary swapfile/savefile later!
Attachments
simple-remaster.pet
(5.35 KiB) Downloaded 241 times