[SOLVED] Claws Mail Cannot Connect on Slacko or Vlina

Booting, installing, newbie
johnywhy

[SOLVED] Claws Mail Cannot Connect on Slacko or Vlina

#1 Post by johnywhy »

hi

struggling to get claws working in vlina or slacko, and it will not work! it installs, but cannot connect to gmail. i get 'handshake failed' or other errors.

sylpheed can connect on same machine, same puppy, same connection settings.

anyone able to connect to gmail in claws on slacko (or vlina), plz help.

maybe a bug?

thx
Last edited by johnywhy on Sat 09 May 2015, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

I have no problems with the gmail webclient via the browser... I used to be a Thunderbird kind of person but I gave that up when Thunderbird decided to try and use all of Puppy's ram (this was forever ago, on an early X-Slacko 1.x install). Haven't been back since, haven't regretted or missed it.

Since you're having so much trouble with installing email clients -- maybe give the webmail thang a go? Just a suggestion.

johnywhy

#3 Post by johnywhy »

Thx Starhawk, I'm very familiar with web mail clients.

Trying to use claws.

Anyone out there able to connect to gmail in claws?

[EDIT]:

the solution was to install the more recent Claws from the PPM Slackware repo (and all dependencies), instead of the slightly older Claws from the PPM Slacko repo (which reports no depends).

Maybe the Slacko Claws is an incomplete implementation? (or more likely, i don't understand something).

cheers
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]