New Intel SSD is faster than most every PC in 2015 Puppyland

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
s243a

#31 Post by s243a »

mikeb wrote:I find a lot of web stuff the produce of lazy or incompetence writers who are quick to charge the earth for what they do and justify their existences.
Here is a good example that someone pointed out on sone (a social network plugin for freenet).

The Seeker
@Adilson_Lanpo incompetent coding is very likely... example: My other ancient single core machine was getting pegged at 100% CPU often when firefox had multiple tabs open at physorg (not playing any media or anything) ... when I ran the JavaScript profiler tool for a minute, it turned out almost all of the execution time was in the Google Plus "plusone" api. It was constantly checking for updated counts, instead of waiting some reasonable time between requests for updates. I added that bit of js to adblock and suddenly I can have 50 tabs open without the CPU dying.
show
sone link (requires free-proxy and sone to be running)

bark_bark_bark

#32 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Freenet for me has always been slow. I'm guessing it is because I am on DSL, but still.

s243a

#33 Post by s243a »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Freenet for me has always been slow. I'm guessing it is because I am on DSL, but still.
For me on freenet it takes about a day to upload a version of puppylinux. Sone works well because javascript notifies me when there are no posts. Navagation on freenet can be fast if the links are relative (within the same site) but navigation between sites can be slow because freenet then has to check to see whether a new version of the site has been uploaded.

I suspect the next two releases of freenet to both bring considerable performance improvements. However, if you are using WOT (Web of trust) based plugins on freenet (such as "sone") these may still take a good chuck of your ram (~250MB if you want to run sone). This could be an issue on older systems. However, facebook also uses a lot of ram, so I guess the question is which is worse, "Using facebook" or a social network on a darknet. Running many facebook tabs and WOT at the same time on an old computerd will no doubt slow your computer down.

There are now a number of plugins on freent such as WIKIs and code collaboration tools and I suspect once these plugins are upgraded to adapt to the next two releases of freenet that there will be a considerable growth in freenet users.

Currently, I recommend the floghelper plugin. I also recommend sone if you have enough ram to handle it. Sone has some scalability issues both due to it's own code and also due to WOT. These issues are being addressed and should be solved within the next two releases. Just as a warning, you will have to run Sone for a bit before it can discovers all of the users. One must be patient at first but after that it works quite well.
Last edited by s243a on Fri 22 May 2015, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#34 Post by bark_bark_bark »

What I meant by DSL was DSL internet, not the OS for ancient computers. If I had broadband internet, things would go a lot faster.

EDIT: nevermind, I realized you knew that already.

s243a

#35 Post by s243a »

bark_bark_bark wrote:What I meant by DSL was DSL internet, not the OS for ancient computers. If I had broadband internet, things would go a lot faster.
I thought DSL was broadband. Anyway, I used it at my sister and laws place and she had DSL and I had no issues using sone. However, at DSL speeds I would not try to do any fileshareing on freenet. That would be a waste of time. Downloading files from the regular internet is painfully slow on DSL, I can't imagine the time it would take using freenet.

bark_bark_bark

#36 Post by bark_bark_bark »

s243a wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:What I meant by DSL was DSL internet, not the OS for ancient computers. If I had broadband internet, things would go a lot faster.
I thought DSL was broadband. Anyway, I used it at my sister and laws place and she had DSL and I had no issues using sone. However, at DSL speeds I would not try to do any fileshareing on freenet. That would be a waste of time. Downloading files from the regular internet is painfully slow on DSL, I can't imagine the time it would take using freenet.
DSL is definitely NOT broadband. I can't stand this ~1Mbps internet. Downloading a game on steam @120kbps is painfully slow.

s243a

#37 Post by s243a »

bark_bark_bark wrote:
s243a wrote:
DSL is definitely NOT broadband. I can't stand this ~1Mbps internet. Downloading a game on steam @120kbps is painfully slow.
Hmm...perhaps my sister and laws was on some related technology such as: ADSL or HDSL. ALL I know is that she got here internet though the phone lines. I'm not sure what here speeds were.

Burn_IT

#38 Post by Burn_IT »

Is there confusion here between two things called DSL??

To me DSL is Digital Subscriber Line as in ADSL etc. but I suspect the D can also stand for Dialled which is of course a lot slower.
I think of ADSL as being broadband and possibly fibre always on connection and it should be a lost faster though in my case only twice the speed of dial up because it is to the cabinet which is a long way away.

I have ADSL at about 7mbps down and FTTC would be 17mbps (not worth the cost)
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

tallboy

#39 Post by tallboy »

I sit here, and I follow this thread, and it suddenly dawned on me: I've been around long enough to at least have seen the old 5.5" floppy discs being used, when Norsk Data's ND-570/CX was the world's fastest 32-bit supermini i 1983, when my first real PC was a Mac with a giant 20Mb HDD, when we thought portable memory was just a pot-induced crazy fantasy...

But HEY!, I am still writing with only two fingers...

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Burn_IT

#40 Post by Burn_IT »

5.25 or 3.5 were the disk sizes.

I had a copy of Windows 95 install on 5.25 disks till recently.

mikeb

#41 Post by mikeb »

Just had a marine shop site...on the 3g it was taking meg after meg and never loading...not good on PAYG ...but tried the same site elsewhere and its not bloated at all.... me suspect some ad or script doing something silly the first time.

Accidents waiting to happen with such stuffed pages.
And yer browser has to be an operating system in itself since javascript moves the work from the server to your machine.

mike

gcmartin

#42 Post by gcmartin »

2 very recent occurrences on SSD devices:
  • Tom's Hardware findings measurements of Intel vs Samsung SSDs
  • Sandisk SSD announcement with pricing actions, yesterday (prelude to Google I/O).

8Geee

#43 Post by 8Geee »

I see the 4K writes did not improve at all on the uber-drive- 38Mb/sec. The old SLC-PATA drives from 2008 will net 27Mb/sec. Natch, the Read-times are exponentially faster at 500 Mb/sec compared to 50Mb/sec. The uber-drives clock 4-5 times faster than that. I for one am not standing in line for these.

I realize that the 4K reads are the hind-end of performance, but it does indicate single-block execution. A better measure of lagging performance would be 16K reads. This will raise the bar for all comparisons, and generally indicates average 'small file' execution.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Snail

SSD for old laptop

#44 Post by Snail »

I've got a middle-aged laptop in which the HD drive has died. I have noticed that small 120 GB SSDs are now quite cheap, not much more expensive than the smallest new HDD's, Puppy needs little storage for itself and at any one time most of my my user data is on my server (Or should be :-)). Therefore I have no need for more storage than these small SSDs have and the 500GB that the smallest, cheapest new HDDs have, would never be used.

Although Puppies don't really need the extra speed of an SSD, I was wondering if a small SSD would be easier on a aging system and thus possibly extend the useful life of the laptop. What do you think?

8Geee

#45 Post by 8Geee »

Snail:

Sure, why not. The egg has a high-rated Silicon-Power 120Gb 2.5" at a very reasonable cost. SATA3/2 compatible. Hopefully you got SATA-2.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Snail

Sata 2/3?

#46 Post by Snail »

8Geee:

How can I check the sata version? I have a Thinkpad T400, made about 2009.

Burn_IT

#47 Post by Burn_IT »

Snail

google it?

#48 Post by Snail »

Dual post
Last edited by Snail on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.

Snail

google it?

#49 Post by Snail »

Burn-it your link doesn't give any info about the SATA version. I have googled further and the answers on the Lenovo forum are not very clear or consistent. It appears to me, from the discussion there, that the chipset should be SATA II-capable but Lenovo may have done something to throttle it down to SATA I. Weird. The fact that Lenovo failed to answer questions on the forum is a bit smelly.

I was actually hoping to find if there was any way you could check this detail using software. Hardinfo doesn't say directly. Perhaps it could be inferred from Hardinfo's benchmark results if you knew how to interpret them, which I don't.

Anyway, I have chanced it and ordered a Sandisk, if it doesn't work out I'll put it into something else.

Burn_IT

#50 Post by Burn_IT »

Lenovo were doing all sorts of nasty things with SATA
My T43P has IDE primary and SATA secondary.
The MOBO is all SATA but there is a converter board added for the primary drive.
They also locked the BIOS to specific drives and restricted things like network cards.
I had to join the support group to find a custom BIOS that removed most of the restrictions.

SATA Drives are backwards compatible so I wouldn't worry.