tahr 6.0.2 CE has begun to hang on saving folder at shutdown

Using applications, configuring, problems
rockedge

tahr 6.0.2 CE has begun to hang on saving folder at shutdown

#1 Post by rockedge »

Everything was working well on a tahr 6.0.2 CE install on a 8gig USB stick and now the system has begun to hang on shutdown after a FIrefox update from 37 to version 38.0.1. So if I do not update firefox the shutdown takes a long time sometimes 10-15 minutes but does finish. If I update Firefox when I select reboot from the menu it jumps to a black screen and nothing. Or indicates it is saving to the save folder but never finishes and requires hard reboot.
Does anyone have an idea? running on a Dell Inspiron and only happens on USB install.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

How did you do the update from 37 to version 38.0.1?

How much free space on the flash drive?

What format is the flash drive partition?

Is there more than one partition?

Have you run Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup updates?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

Well these recent browsers are stupidly big but even that should not cause such a problem .....

again...how much space in save

have you run pfix=fsck...it sounds like the save file is a little corrupted..they do
If not the stick itself might not be 100%...could you clone to another if fsck does not help?

mike

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

Thanks for the replies!
There is 5.66 gigs of free space on the USB drive. Ext2 format. one partition
I have run pfix=fsck. Tahr will update through quickpet.

Even after a hard shutdown the system will reboot fine and everything is the same and the recent update of Firefox is gone. Firefox starts up in version 37. I added PERL module Email::Send using cpanm and the update of Firefox was done directly from the menu by Help>About Firefox. The update goes well Firefox starts and is updated. XAMPP will run, Hiawatha with php5-fpm runs. inadyn will run as does all the stock programs.
I have cloned the USB to a brand new 8 gig USB thumb drive and the same occurs. The shutdown and reboot hangs or goes directly to a black screen. then hard shutdown then restart and Tahr will start, no problems but in the same state as before the entire process began.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

hmm even without considering firefox 10-15 minutes is a long time.... I am guessing you have cache enabled and the browser is able to freely bloat its profile generally.

But regardless if there is enough room and the save file is healthy something is amiss... perhaps its not hanging but taking an endless time...i wonder if its running in usb1 mode for some reason.

does hdparm -tT /dev/sdb1 or whatever it is give decent figures for speed?

Perhaps for a test with the spare drive make a fresh pupsave and mimic your actions to see how it behaves.

How did you make a copy...if you used dd that would simply mimic any errors already present...eg the ext2 on the stick is messed up.

How big is the save and what does it say is spare?

mike

rockedge

#6 Post by rockedge »

I am using the save folder option so Gparted reports:

/dev/sdb1 ext2 /initrd/dev_save size=7.27 GiB used=1.61GiB unused=5.66GiB

timing cache reads: 2554MB in 2.000 seconds = 1278.29 MB/sec
timing buffer reads: 50 MB in 3.07 seconds = 16.29 MB/sec

The 10-15 minute wait for reboot or shutdown is also a very recent problem. But at start up the file system check is OK and it starts right up.

I am going to boot with no save folder/file and see what happens when I shutdown.

rockedge

#7 Post by rockedge »

device info from GParted reports a MSDOS partition table with a EXT2 filesystem.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Hmm ok though not convinced about if the fsck is running on the stick with a save folder but that avenue may not be the one to take.

if its a recent change the problem could lie elsewhere.

So cloned to another stick and still the same.... how about a fresh install to the spare stick and make the same changes?

How fast is the stick/usb..hdparm test ...

What about making a save during the session from the desktop icon..is that slow?

mike

rockedge

#9 Post by rockedge »

I made a new install on a fresh 8 GiB flash drive added the save folder.

Started and went to exit>reboot and the OS rebooted after 3-5 minutes.

Start was normal. Then I downloaded a photo to make a change and again exit>reboot and it works. reboots cleanly after 3-5 minutes.

now updated Firefox by download and manually extracting to /opt then exit>reboot. This time re-boot goes directly to a black screen, no text, totally dead machine.
seems odd.....

restarted and everything works and Firefox is again version 37
service pack to Tahr version 6.0.3 just ran. removed Firefox 32-37. rebooted and it re-started cleanly. downloaded fresh Firefox v 38.0.1 and again total black screen and crash at shutdown or re-boot..

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Ok little of this makes much sense...seems like heading onto bug land..perhaps post in the tahr bug thread and add a link to this thread and see if anyone has any clues,

Nothing seems right... eg i am running of a slow memory stick on one machine..no hard drives and startup is 30-40 seconds, shutdown in 20... and was only a little slower when seamonkey updated itself without asking which meant a lot more saving.

No other suggestions at this point unfortunately

mike

rockedge

#11 Post by rockedge »

I repeated the test with the all the new additions and changes without updating Firefox and it works as expected. Re-boot OK. As soon as I add Firefox 38.0.1 the system will not shutdown or reboot.

So it seems Firefox is causing something to go awry

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Well seems a reasonable conclusion ...and you say its a self update.

Hmm well at least you have a pattern to go on.

I suppose for now disable the update.

The thread might catch someone on the subject.... its certainly not expected behaviour from firefox updating either.

mike

rockedge

#13 Post by rockedge »

Yes it does seem odd since it just began to be a problem after the Firefox update and it only happens on USB Flash Drives. The same exact system frugally installed on the HDD works flawlessly and fast even after letting Firefox update itself. So I just will have to ponder it some more!

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

There is always a logical explanation even when it makes no sense..take 5 on the subject I find often helps and the answer pops up when you least expect it.

mike

rockedge

#15 Post by rockedge »

I have been reading around the forum and across the Planet (Google) and it does seem Firefox version 38.0.1 is causing this problem. But how?

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

how is a good question ...I would always thing of such software as self contained but it must be writing something somewhere to cause upset...perhaps they have ambitions to be Internet Explorer :D

What does gdmap say is in pup_rw after install and running it?
Size may not even be the issue here but a particular file/folder affected.

mike