How do I install puppy on D drive of Win98 machine?

Booting, installing, newbie
4ebees

#1 Post by 4ebees »

Hi,

I've had a look on the site but am unable to locate a how to for this type of install.

I'm looking at trialling puppy on an Armada DMT7770 (can puppy read a carbus for USB? The Armada has no built in USB) and would like to install it on the D drive of the lappy.

Can someone kindly point me in the right direction for some instructions on how to do this please?

Many thank.

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

The directions are here.

Is this what you are trying to do?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Yes, Puppy does have an install-to-zip-drive script, but note that I haven't looked at it for ages, and don't even know if it still works! (you can be the guinea pig if you like!)

4ebees

zippuppy on D drive of Win98 machine: how do I do this?

#4 Post by 4ebees »

Sorry guys,

I should have made this clearer. The puppy I'm talking about is this one:

http://www.psyplan.com/banners.html?htt ... uppy/index

(the above is one long URL)

It's a zipped puppy to install on a HDD which already had Win98 running - exactly my position.

I like puppy (have it on an old p166mmx) and want to have one playing on my old laptop. Win98 is problematic - crashes, freezes sometimes - but it's wireless networked at the moment, connects to my pcmcia cardbus USB adapter and so is perfect for simple work in the living room :)). If I can get puppy to play well with this setup, then OFF GOES Winders - but it's used frequently at the moment and so I can't afford the downtime that will result from me excommunicating Win98 from the machine (and my wife would NOT be happy with the delay at this juncture in time LOL).

Thanks for your posts, sorry for the confusion.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

You could set it up as a dual-boot computer. That way you could quickly boot back into Windows until you got the bugs worked out of Puppy. Of course, the first bug is getting the dual-boot setup to work. :?

Done right, replacing the Windows bootloader will not disturb the rest of the Windows installation at all. Once properly configured, the bootloader allows you to choose at boot which OS to load. Personally I've had no problems dual-booting Windows 2000 and several versions of Mandrake, on several different computers. I can't take any credit; it's entirely due to the no-brainer installation program of Mandrake, which installs LILO (stands for LInux LOader,) recognizes there is a version of Windows on the hard drive, and puts it in the LILO boot menu. However you do it, the idea is to replace the Windows bootloader in the first sector of the hard drive with either LILO or GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader.) LILO has been around longer but GRUB is supposed to have some features LILO can't match.

Having said all that, your present configuration is already unusual. How is it that your Windows is on the "D" drive? Most commonly it is on the "C" drive. How is your hard drive presently configured? (Number of partitions, and what is on each.)

4ebees

#6 Post by 4ebees »

Hi 'official dog handler' (great title),

I have two partitions, C and D. W98 is installed on C. The notes on the URL suggest loading the puppy version on C (but you can load it on D - it says that there are other instructions for doing this, but I can't locate any). Now, there is bugger all space left on C because the HDD is only 5G and I've allocated 1G to W98 and associated software, so I was thinking of installing it on D.

I have two machines dual booted:

FC3/XP - set up by more experienced LUG member

SimplyMepis/W2K - set up by the minds behind SM (like Mandrake, a no-brainer :))

I'd like to either:

a. install puppy as per the model shown in the URL (using the D drive)

b. dual boot until all the naughty bits are sorted out.

I'm not confident enough to dual boot Puppy (I've don't want to frag W98), but if there was a "Okay, you're blind and have an IQ of 60, so this is how you do it" 'How To' then 'lead the way, McDuff" :))

Puppy would be perfect form my laptop if I could get it to do what I need it to.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

JaDy

#7 Post by JaDy »

4ebees:
That PupWin98 (currently at 1.0.1) is my creation. I'd be happy to help you with your specific configuration. I suggest you email me (see address at bottom of that web page) with your particulars and let's see what can be done. This will keep the clutter off the forum. When we have a solution, I'll publish it at the wiki.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Silly me :oops:

I don't know where I got the notion that Windows was on your D drive. I guess it was that you had a D drive at all. Most Windows installations have only one partition.

I'm not familiar with running Linux on a partition formatted FAT32, as JaDy seems to suggest, but it evidently works well. If you only want Linux on what is now the D partition, and don't care that Windows wouldn't be able to access anything on that partition, you might consider reformatting your D partition as ext2.

JaDy, what bootloader does your PupWin98 use?

JaDy

#9 Post by JaDy »

PupWin98 uses tiny.exe from Gujin (http://gujin.sourceforge.net/).

Actually, I run from Windows drive D which is the first partition of a second hard disk. Linux sees it as hdb1. That drive has four other partitions, all fat32.

I see they're at 1.1 now. I'm using 0.9. :oops: Perhaps I should upgrade. :roll: But, why fix it if it ain't broke. :wink: I'm not using their whole package, just tiny.exe.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Ian »

You could also create a boot CD to boot Puppy and Windows and not touch your MBR at all.