DebianDog - Jessie (21 June 2017)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#16 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Terry H,
I also noticed that there are 2 instances of 'Synaptic Package Manager' contained in /usr/share/applications. One has gsu synaptic when viewing the Launcher properties, The other only has [bsynaptic[/b].
Yes, the 'gsu' is for when running as regular user but shouldn't make a difference when running as root.
The command:

Code: Select all

gsu synaptic
Opens synaptic for me when I am logged in as root.
For you it probably doesn't, so that means something's wrong, but what?
Thanks for you assistance for this. It is a minor issue, which I can work around until some one can advise me how to fix the issue with sudo.
It's really not supposed to be having to workaround this, sudo seems to be broken, can you please try what I suggested in my previous post:
Boot without changes, "fresh" and see how it goes, menu.lst entry then without the changes= parameter:
Code:
title PorteusDog Jessie (sda6)
root (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/
initrd (hd0,5)/live/initrd1.xz
Fred

Terry H

#17 Post by Terry H »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Terry H,
Boot without changes, "fresh" and see how it goes, menu.lst entry then without the changes= parameter:
Code:
title PorteusDog Jessie (sda6)
root (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/
initrd (hd0,5)/live/initrd1.xz
Fred
I deleted the 'changes' folder and booted, I still have no sudo access. I also downloaded and booted a clean Saintless' JWM.iso. Same issue.

Moat

#18 Post by Moat »

Just a noob-ish enduser doing a very quick test of Fred's XFCE Jesse - boot method 2, I think... (no save, RAM session, systemd).

Nice! Old Dell Optiplex GX620, Pentium D, 3Gb RAM - booted straight to desktop (no prompts) at proper resolution, USB mouse and keyboard working. Frisbee took a few tries/refreshes (Netgear USB dongle) - but here I am.

Few little things so far -

A couple of the default (Faenza) icons are missing from the main & Whisker menus, as well as a few from the XFCE Panel "Add New Items" menu. "Desktop" settings and "Snapshot Make" and "Mail Reader" in Whisker (maybe those appear with another boot choice, I'm thinking...?). Synaptic's menu icons are a bit frazzled, also.

In attempting to set the number of workspaces via right-clicking the panel's Workspace Switcher > "Workspace Settings", there is no proper icon (red x'd) and a popup displays "Unable to open workspace settings - Failed to execute child process "xfwm4-workspace-settings" (No such file or directory". Of course, that can be set in Openbox Config instead.

Not sure what the third terminal - Uxterm - is for, but it fails to open with - "uxterm tried unsuccessfully to use locale en_US.UTF-8 by setting $LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8"."

I can find no mouse configuration utility (sensitivity/acceleration) - should I try installing a .pet from an existing D/U-pup repo? Or would you recommend a proper .deb via Synaptic? Or if I could just find the config file here somewhere...

Really going to have to install this to a thumbdrive and give it a serious go, though. Nice and light/snappy so far... and pure Debian! Very cool. 8)

Thanks,

Bob

saintless

#19 Post by saintless »

Hi, Terry H.
Please check and confirm you have the same md5sum after downloading the iso images:
5609d4c934f133eca9c413f668fceaf5 DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm.iso

bff0c770ec03008690e0852eb0ee38c7 DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce.iso
As Fred I also can't reproduce the problem you get with sudo command in both DD-Jessie.
Try reinstalling sudo:

apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall sudo
And when you have time, please, check if you have the same problem with DebianDog-Wheezy:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/
This test will show if the upgrade process is the reason for the strange issue you get.

Toni

saintless

#20 Post by saintless »

Hi, Moat.
Moat wrote:I can find no mouse configuration utility (sensitivity/acceleration) - should I try installing a .pet from an existing D/U-pup repo? Or would you recommend a proper .deb via Synaptic? Or if I could just find the config file here somewhere...
I don't think the one from Puppy (pupx if I do not mistake) will work in DD and the official Debian alternatives will add 25-30Mb space.
You can configure from command line using xset command. The default in DD is:

xset m 2 2
To see the difference change it to:

xset m 100 100
And try to find the best numbers for your needs.

Toni

Terry H

#21 Post by Terry H »

saintless wrote:Hi, Terry H.
Please check and confirm you have the same md5sum after downloading the iso images:
5609d4c934f133eca9c413f668fceaf5 DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm.iso

bff0c770ec03008690e0852eb0ee38c7 DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce.iso
As Fred I also can't reproduce the problem you get with sudo command in both DD-Jessie.
Try reinstalling sudo:

apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall sudo
And when you have time, please, check if you have the same problem with DebianDog-Wheezy:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/
This test will show if the upgrade process is the reason for the strange issue you get.

Toni
Thanks for the response. The md5sums are correct. I reinstalled sudo yesterday, it was still the same. I will try DD-Wheezy today.

Terry H

#22 Post by Terry H »

Toni & Fred,

I downloaded DD-Wheezy_JWM and did a clean frugal install. Unfortunately sudo does not work on my laptop with this version either.

I will continue to use DebianDog as it is not an issue at all. The distro I have used mostly over the last 9 years doesn't even include sudo by default, so I'm not really missing anything I would regularly use.

I really like the work you have both done with Debian Dog. Everything else is running great.

saintless

#23 Post by saintless »

Thanks for testing, Terry H.

Having the same problem with DD-Wheezy is good news for me because it is well tested from more people and we don't have any other reports about problems with sudo command for Wheezy.
Still I like to know why it doesn't work for you. Please, post your laptop model and if someday you have a chance and time to test DD on different hardware post if sudo doesn't work there too.

Toni

fredx181

#24 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Moat, Toni,
Nice! Old Dell Optiplex GX620, Pentium D, 3Gb RAM - booted straight to desktop (no prompts) at proper resolution, USB mouse and keyboard working. Frisbee took a few tries/refreshes (Netgear USB dongle) - but here I am.

Few little things so far -
Yes, thanks for noticing these, some stuff forgotten because I was more focused on other things.
I plan to fix on next iso release.
For the mouse and keyboard configuration here's attached a modified 'lxinput' .deb (remove dummy .tar extension)
To install, in terminal from folder with inside lxinput_0.3.4-1_i386.deb:

dpkg -i lxinput_0.3.4-1_i386.deb
Edit: Toni made "lxinputsave", it includes the mods below described, better do instead of the above:

apt-get purge lxinput # in case installed modified .deb as attached, first remove it
apt-get update
apt-get install lxinputsave

Toni, it's lxinput from Jessie, feel free to change things if you like, maybe make it higher version?
What I modified:
- removed XFCE from NotShowIn= line in lxinput.desktop
- added ~/Startup/exec_lxinput-autostart script, which is basically the same as the fix William provided for saving lxrandr settings (without it the mouse settings wouldn't survive a reboot or logout)
- added postinst and postrm scripts
- added /usr/share/menu/lxinput
- added icon in /usr/share/pixmaps

Didn't test on Jwm version, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Fred
Attachments
lxinput_0.3.4-1_i386.deb.tar
lxinput modified for DD
(57.78 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 29 May 2015, 20:57, edited 2 times in total.

saintless

#25 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Toni, it's lxinput from Jessie, feel free to change things if you like, maybe make it higher version?
Thanks, Fred!
Works in Jwm but I'm not sure modding lxinput is the best solution. Official deb doesn't need extra dependencies and all your mods can be moved in separate package depending on lxinput (as we did for lxrandr).
Test this first and if you don't like it I will upload modded lxinput in dd-repo:

apt-get update
Toni

fredx181

#26 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Do you intent to make a DEVX .squashfs for DD Jessie?
And can you write which packages to install for that?

Why I ask is because I'd like to create it with included dpkg registration for my personal use .

Fred

saintless

#27 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

I will make DEVX module after uploading PAE kernel versions with both linux-headers included. Maybe in one or two weeks...
The package list is:

build-essential automake autoconf libtool pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev intltool libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libnotify-dev libglib2.0-dev libevent-dev checkinstall upx-ucl cmake linux-headers-$(uname -r)
+ adding from Wheezy DEVX the bacon files from Terry:

/opt/bin/bacon
/opt/bin/bacon.upx
/opt/bin/bacon3G-sa
/usr/share/BaCon #dir
/usr/share/geany #dir
Toni

Terry H

#28 Post by Terry H »

saintless wrote:Thanks for testing, Terry H.

Having the same problem with DD-Wheezy is good news for me because it is well tested from more people and we don't have any other reports about problems with sudo command for Wheezy.
Still I like to know why it doesn't work for you. Please, post your laptop model and if someday you have a chance and time to test DD on different hardware post if sudo doesn't work there too.

Toni
Hi Toni,

It's a Dell Latitude D620 Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz / 2.5GB RAM / Intel 4965 Wifi. I'll post if I find anything further.

Thanks
Terry

fredx181

#29 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Works in Jwm but I'm not sure modding lxinput is the best solution. Official deb doesn't need extra dependencies and all your mods can be moved in separate package depending on lxinput (as we did for lxrandr).
Test this first and if you don't like it I will upload modded lxinput in dd-repo:
Code:
apt-get update
Ha! You have found the gold! :) Works well for me.
Very creative way, making a unique DD package depending on official package. Nice!

Edit:
Toni wrote:Code:
build-essential automake autoconf libtool pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev intltool libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libnotify-dev libglib2.0-dev libevent-dev checkinstall upx-ucl cmake linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Thanks!

Fred

saintless

#31 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Lets keep lxinputsave then and mod lxinputsave if something changes in official lxinput package upgrades later.

Toni

davids45

Drive icons now correct in mounter

#32 Post by davids45 »

G'day saintless,

Thanks for your edited script which fixed the icons for my sdb drive shown by the mounter wizard.

I tried raising the row of desktop/pinboard partition icons by changing the y value you said. I can see the start of the row by changing the x value. The row did move up the display for a new y but there was no wrapping - the line of partition icons still goes off the right side of my 1600x900 monitor.

Which is another small problem. The Jessie default for my radeon graphics card is 1280x1024 which distorts the display a little. I could not get the video wizard to load the 1600x900 setting (which was showing as 'recommended' before I hit <Enter> to use it) but then only the 1280 display would show or the computer freeze (no X).

Thanks again,
David S.

saintless

Re: Drive icons now correct in mounter

#33 Post by saintless »

Hi David S.
davids45 wrote:The row did move up the display for a new y but there was no wrapping - the line of partition icons still goes off the right side of my 1600x900 monitor.
I don't see any settings to make the drive icons appear in two rows in pup-volume-monitor or desktop-drive-icons configuration files. I will search for some kind of solution and post if I can find one. If you don't have the same problem in Puppy my guess is Debian structure makes pup-volume-monitor or desktop-drive-icons to behave different. Or the problem is related with the missing radeon driver from DD.
The Jessie default for my radeon graphics card is 1280x1024 which distorts the display a little. I could not get the video wizard to load the 1600x900 setting (which was showing as 'recommended' before I hit <Enter> to use it) but then only the 1280 display would show or the computer freeze (no X).
I guess video-wizard means lxrandr (monitor settings)? We do not have xorg-wizard or video-wizard in DD. Unfortunately I can only point you to the official and unofficial sources how to install or build radeon driver:
https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary
https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 519#791519
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Debian
I don't have the needed hardware to test and build radeon driver for each kernel but maybe someday we will find someone who will be interested enough from DD to offer such help.

Toni

saintless

#34 Post by saintless »

First post updated with download links for SMP kernel-3.16.0-4-686-pae iso images.
Uploaded here:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/De ... og-Jessie/
Jessie and Wheezy dd-repository updated with lxinputsave deb package. Installing lxinputsave will install also lxinput saving the settings after reboot or exit X.

Toni

anikin

#35 Post by anikin »

saintless wrote:First post updated with download links for SMP kernel-3.16.0-4-686-pae iso images.
Uploaded here:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/De ... og-Jessie/...
The download speed is prohibitively low and this kazza is virtually unusable. I must have missed the related discussion again - what's happened to smokey? I've never had issues downloading DD stuff from his site, or from other places you keep it at.

Can DD users just install this 686-pae kertnel https://packages.debian.org/jessie/linu ... -4-686-pae themselves instead of downloading the ISO? I tried and failed to install it via apt-get. Neither, can I do upgrade and dist-upgrade this DD. I get the same errors, that I reported earlier. Installing a kernel and upgrading in Debian Jessie is a relatively simple procedure, though.
Attachments
low_speed.jpeg
(66.84 KiB) Downloaded 1199 times