Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 04:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - Jessie
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 68 [1010 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2015, 17:12    Post subject:  

Hi Terry H,

Quote:
I also noticed that there are 2 instances of 'Synaptic Package Manager' contained in /usr/share/applications. One has gsu synaptic when viewing the Launcher properties, The other only has [bsynaptic[/b].

Yes, the 'gsu' is for when running as regular user but shouldn't make a difference when running as root.
The command:
Code:
gsu synaptic

Opens synaptic for me when I am logged in as root.
For you it probably doesn't, so that means something's wrong, but what?
Quote:
Thanks for you assistance for this. It is a minor issue, which I can work around until some one can advise me how to fix the issue with sudo.

It's really not supposed to be having to workaround this, sudo seems to be broken, can you please try what I suggested in my previous post:
Quote:
Boot without changes, "fresh" and see how it goes, menu.lst entry then without the changes= parameter:
Code:
title PorteusDog Jessie (sda6)
root (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/
initrd (hd0,5)/live/initrd1.xz

Fred
Terry H

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2015, 18:36    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi Terry H,

Quote:
Boot without changes, "fresh" and see how it goes, menu.lst entry then without the changes= parameter:
Code:
title PorteusDog Jessie (sda6)
root (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/
initrd (hd0,5)/live/initrd1.xz

Fred

I deleted the 'changes' folder and booted, I still have no sudo access. I also downloaded and booted a clean Saintless' JWM.iso. Same issue.
Moat

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2015, 19:08    Post subject:  

Just a noob-ish enduser doing a very quick test of Fred's XFCE Jesse - boot method 2, I think... (no save, RAM session, systemd).

Nice! Old Dell Optiplex GX620, Pentium D, 3Gb RAM - booted straight to desktop (no prompts) at proper resolution, USB mouse and keyboard working. Frisbee took a few tries/refreshes (Netgear USB dongle) - but here I am.

Few little things so far -

A couple of the default (Faenza) icons are missing from the main & Whisker menus, as well as a few from the XFCE Panel "Add New Items" menu. "Desktop" settings and "Snapshot Make" and "Mail Reader" in Whisker (maybe those appear with another boot choice, I'm thinking...?). Synaptic's menu icons are a bit frazzled, also.

In attempting to set the number of workspaces via right-clicking the panel's Workspace Switcher > "Workspace Settings", there is no proper icon (red x'd) and a popup displays "Unable to open workspace settings - Failed to execute child process "xfwm4-workspace-settings" (No such file or directory". Of course, that can be set in Openbox Config instead.

Not sure what the third terminal - Uxterm - is for, but it fails to open with - "uxterm tried unsuccessfully to use locale en_US.UTF-8 by setting $LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8"."

I can find no mouse configuration utility (sensitivity/acceleration) - should I try installing a .pet from an existing D/U-pup repo? Or would you recommend a proper .deb via Synaptic? Or if I could just find the config file here somewhere...

Really going to have to install this to a thumbdrive and give it a serious go, though. Nice and light/snappy so far... and pure Debian! Very cool. Cool

Thanks,

Bob
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 05:56    Post subject:  

Hi, Terry H.
Please check and confirm you have the same md5sum after downloading the iso images:
Quote:
5609d4c934f133eca9c413f668fceaf5 DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm.iso

bff0c770ec03008690e0852eb0ee38c7 DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce.iso

As Fred I also can't reproduce the problem you get with sudo command in both DD-Jessie.
Try reinstalling sudo:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall sudo

And when you have time, please, check if you have the same problem with DebianDog-Wheezy:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/
This test will show if the upgrade process is the reason for the strange issue you get.

Toni

saintless

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 06:05    Post subject:  

Hi, Moat.
Moat wrote:
I can find no mouse configuration utility (sensitivity/acceleration) - should I try installing a .pet from an existing D/U-pup repo? Or would you recommend a proper .deb via Synaptic? Or if I could just find the config file here somewhere...

I don't think the one from Puppy (pupx if I do not mistake) will work in DD and the official Debian alternatives will add 25-30Mb space.
You can configure from command line using xset command. The default in DD is:
Code:
xset m 2 2

To see the difference change it to:
Code:
xset m 100 100

And try to find the best numbers for your needs.

Toni

Terry H

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 06:39    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
Hi, Terry H.
Please check and confirm you have the same md5sum after downloading the iso images:
Quote:
5609d4c934f133eca9c413f668fceaf5 DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm.iso

bff0c770ec03008690e0852eb0ee38c7 DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce.iso

As Fred I also can't reproduce the problem you get with sudo command in both DD-Jessie.
Try reinstalling sudo:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall sudo

And when you have time, please, check if you have the same problem with DebianDog-Wheezy:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/
This test will show if the upgrade process is the reason for the strange issue you get.

Toni

Thanks for the response. The md5sums are correct. I reinstalled sudo yesterday, it was still the same. I will try DD-Wheezy today.
Terry H

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 10:45    Post subject:  

Toni & Fred,

I downloaded DD-Wheezy_JWM and did a clean frugal install. Unfortunately sudo does not work on my laptop with this version either.

I will continue to use DebianDog as it is not an issue at all. The distro I have used mostly over the last 9 years doesn't even include sudo by default, so I'm not really missing anything I would regularly use.

I really like the work you have both done with Debian Dog. Everything else is running great.
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 11:21    Post subject:  

Thanks for testing, Terry H.

Having the same problem with DD-Wheezy is good news for me because it is well tested from more people and we don't have any other reports about problems with sudo command for Wheezy.
Still I like to know why it doesn't work for you. Please, post your laptop model and if someday you have a chance and time to test DD on different hardware post if sudo doesn't work there too.

Toni
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 11:28    Post subject:  

Hi Moat, Toni,

Quote:
Nice! Old Dell Optiplex GX620, Pentium D, 3Gb RAM - booted straight to desktop (no prompts) at proper resolution, USB mouse and keyboard working. Frisbee took a few tries/refreshes (Netgear USB dongle) - but here I am.

Few little things so far -

Yes, thanks for noticing these, some stuff forgotten because I was more focused on other things.
I plan to fix on next iso release.
For the mouse and keyboard configuration here's attached a modified 'lxinput' .deb (remove dummy .tar extension)
To install, in terminal from folder with inside lxinput_0.3.4-1_i386.deb:
Code:
dpkg -i lxinput_0.3.4-1_i386.deb

Edit: Toni made "lxinputsave", it includes the mods below described, better do instead of the above:
Code:

apt-get purge lxinput # in case installed modified .deb as attached, first remove it
apt-get update
apt-get install lxinputsave

Toni, it's lxinput from Jessie, feel free to change things if you like, maybe make it higher version?
What I modified:
- removed XFCE from NotShowIn= line in lxinput.desktop
- added ~/Startup/exec_lxinput-autostart script, which is basically the same as the fix William provided for saving lxrandr settings (without it the mouse settings wouldn't survive a reboot or logout)
- added postinst and postrm scripts
- added /usr/share/menu/lxinput
- added icon in /usr/share/pixmaps

Didn't test on Jwm version, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Fred
lxinput_0.3.4-1_i386.deb.tar
Description  lxinput modified for DD
tar

Download 
Filename  lxinput_0.3.4-1_i386.deb.tar 
Filesize  57.78 KB 
Downloaded  170 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 29 May 2015, 16:57; edited 2 times in total
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 15:27    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Toni, it's lxinput from Jessie, feel free to change things if you like, maybe make it higher version?

Thanks, Fred!
Works in Jwm but I'm not sure modding lxinput is the best solution. Official deb doesn't need extra dependencies and all your mods can be moved in separate package depending on lxinput (as we did for lxrandr).
Test this first and if you don't like it I will upload modded lxinput in dd-repo:
Code:
apt-get update

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 15:45    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Do you intent to make a DEVX .squashfs for DD Jessie?
And can you write which packages to install for that?

Why I ask is because I'd like to create it with included dpkg registration for my personal use .

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 15:57    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.

I will make DEVX module after uploading PAE kernel versions with both linux-headers included. Maybe in one or two weeks...
The package list is:
Code:
build-essential automake autoconf libtool pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev intltool libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libnotify-dev libglib2.0-dev libevent-dev checkinstall upx-ucl cmake linux-headers-$(uname -r)

+ adding from Wheezy DEVX the bacon files from Terry:
Code:
/opt/bin/bacon
/opt/bin/bacon.upx
/opt/bin/bacon3G-sa
/usr/share/BaCon #dir
/usr/share/geany #dir

Toni

Terry H

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 16:11    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
Thanks for testing, Terry H.

Having the same problem with DD-Wheezy is good news for me because it is well tested from more people and we don't have any other reports about problems with sudo command for Wheezy.
Still I like to know why it doesn't work for you. Please, post your laptop model and if someday you have a chance and time to test DD on different hardware post if sudo doesn't work there too.

Toni

Hi Toni,

It's a Dell Latitude D620 Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz / 2.5GB RAM / Intel 4965 Wifi. I'll post if I find anything further.

Thanks
Terry
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 16:13    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
Works in Jwm but I'm not sure modding lxinput is the best solution. Official deb doesn't need extra dependencies and all your mods can be moved in separate package depending on lxinput (as we did for lxrandr).
Test this first and if you don't like it I will upload modded lxinput in dd-repo:
Code:
apt-get update

Ha! You have found the gold! Smile Works well for me.
Very creative way, making a unique DD package depending on official package. Nice!

Edit:
Toni wrote:
Code:
build-essential automake autoconf libtool pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev intltool libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libnotify-dev libglib2.0-dev libevent-dev checkinstall upx-ucl cmake linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Thanks!

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 29 May 2015, 17:15    Post subject:  

Terry H wrote:
It's a Dell Latitude D620 Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz / 2.5GB RAM / Intel 4965 Wifi. I'll post if I find anything further.

Thanks, Terry and take your time. Quick searching points there could be some strange Dell related issue using sudo:
Can one install it within dell latitude d360 mobile computer? I am inputting this throughout terminal "sudo pico /etc/hosts" the saying : sudo: unable to stat /etc/sudoers: approval denied sudo: no valid shudders sources found, quitting plz helpp...
Dell Latitude D630 laptop with 4MB RAM (Core2 Duo cpu)... After the passord I entered "sudo apt-get install nvidia-detect" but got the following messages: sudo: unable to start /etc/sudoers: No such file or directory
since a recent upgrade to Mandriva 2010.1 I am not able to 'sudo' as administrator or when I use the 'root' password. I am the only user on this machine (Dell Inspiron 530S...
Maybe we will solve this mistery in time.

Toni

Page 2 of 68 [1010 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: