(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Sep 2020, 20:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - Jessie (21 June 2017)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 38 of 68 [1013 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2016, 16:09    Post subject:  

Ok, Toni, I'll first test more with edited snapmergepuppy.
Probably archive and info will be best.

Fred
ocpaul20

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb 2016, 21:30    Post subject:  

Is it possible to have the boot do a fsck check after x reboots? If so, where would I place that command please?

I believe that fsck uses /etc/fstab file with the -a option but this is not used in my debiandog as far as I can see.

Thanks,
Paul

saintless

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2016, 02:49    Post subject:  

ocpaul20 wrote:
Is it possible to have the boot do a fsck check after x reboots? If so, where would I place that command please?

With porteus-boot it is easy. Just add fsck to the kernel line in menu.lst to check all drives on boot. The system does save file auto-check for errors every boot with or without adding fsck to the boot code.
Read also fix 7 here with workaround from Jrb in case you have the same problem with fsck on every boot.

With live-boot-2 and live-boot-3 it is not possible to use the offcial Debian methods in my opinion. I think this option is removed in latest live boot package and it doesn't work in the previous versions. It should work with full install but not with frugal. You can find many repots with live-boot similar problem like this one:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=114823
And the discussion about editing fstab here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=831037#831037
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=831100#831100
With live-boot /etc/fstab is generated on boot and if you like to add custom menu entries remove the swapon (or swap) option from kernel boot line in menu.lst:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Live-boot-3
Quote:
/etc/fstab – if you like to edit this file manually adding mount points remove swapon option from boot code. Otherwise it will create new empty /etc/fstab on boot or only with swap partition line if swap partition is available. If you do it you can still swapon partition on boot by creating symlink /opt/bin/mount-swap in /root/Startup:

Code:
ln -sf /opt/bin/mount-swap /root/Startup

I use live-boot mostly and I run fsck manually from time to time booting in RAM with toram=01-filesystem.squashfs code without persistence. Then all drives are unmounted and I can check them easy:
Code:
fsck -f -y /dev/sda1
fsck -f -y /dev/sda2

Toni

ocpaul20

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2016, 03:56    Post subject:  

Thanks for the answer and solution.

Perhaps I am having a senior moment, but I still do not understand (in spite of the explanations which you have written) what is the difference in all the versions of DD. The systemd, the systeminit, porteus, live-boot 1,2,3, etc.

In Slacko, there was a copy to RAM which just copied the whole system into RAM so the boot media could be removed. I understand that.

There was the Full install which copied the whole system onto disk like a normal Linux system, and there was the Frugal install which ran from disk or RAM and saved everything I had changed into a savefile.

Now there seems to be so many different versions that I dont understand what each does, so I just select the Porteus menu option without knowing anything about it.

I think the problem is that you guys know so much about the system that the differences are obvious to you, but to me it is confusing to have all these different types of boot sequences and using different init files, /live directories, /changes directories etc.

Sorry to be annoying, but sometimes the voicing of a difficulty by one person means that many people want to ask the same question but dont like to.

I think DD is a good system and I have used Debian Squeeze in the past so it is kindof familiar. I wanted to find a Puppy-like system which had a program manager like a debian system and this seems to be it.

saintless

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2016, 06:05    Post subject:  

ocpaul20 wrote:
Sorry to be annoying, but sometimes the voicing of a difficulty by one person means that many people want to ask the same question but dont like to.

No problem. This information is available in boot methods post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=771571#771571
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Boot-methods
Quote:
1. Debian-Dog porteus-boot - porteus initrd1.xz made for debian kernel and firmware.
Chose this one if you are familiar with Porteus or Puppy linux.
Available option for encrypted save file.

2. DebianDog live-boot-2 - debian initrd1.img created with initramfs-tools-v2.x.
Chose this one if you are familiar with Debian-Squeeze save file options.
No encrypted save file option yet

3. DebianDog live-boot-3- debian initrd.img created with initramfs-tools-v3.x.
Chose this one if you are familiar with Debian-Wheezy save file options.
Available option for encrypted save file or encrypted save partition.

Make your boot choice and you can delete 2 initrd files to save 15 Mb space from the system size.

If you open "live" folder in the iso you will see only one kernel (vmlinuz1) and 3 initrd files (initrd.img, initrd1.img, initrd1.xz). The combination vmlinuz1 + different initrd file gives different boot method and different persistent option.

DebianDog started as Squeeze version as a base using only initrd1.img (live-boot-version-2). This is the official Debian-Live-Squeeze boot method.
Then we moved to Wheezy as a base for next DebianDog version. Wheezy uses initrd.img (live-boot-version-3). This is the official Debian-Live-Wheezy boot method. And Debian-Live-Jessie also. Jessie has infact live-boot-version-4 but it containes mostly fixes found in live-boot-version-3 and has the same save file options and boot parameters.

Porteus-boot can be explained much better from Fred. It is closer to Puppy linux save options. It is Porteus linux boot method but modded to work with official Debian kernel (thanks again sfs). But it is not official Debian boot method and you can't find any Debian documentation about porteus-boot. Ask here about porteus-boot instead searching debian documentation about it.

Including all initrd files in one iso may seem complicated for the user, but imagine how more complicated will be for us to have separate thread for each boot method and 27 iso versions instead 9. I think it will be impossible to provide fixes in 12 threads (instead in 4) and update 27 iso versions.

In short:

live-boot-2 - vmlinuz1 + initrd1.img = live-rw save file (or ext2,3,4 partition with label live-rw) and persistent boot parameter to use it. No encrypted save option.

live-boot-3 - vmlinuz1 + initrd.img = persistence save file (or ext2,3,4 partition with label persistence) + persistence.conf file inside and persistence boot parameter to use it. Support for encrypted save file or save partition.

porteus-boot - vmlinuz1 + initrd1.xz = changes.dat save file (or save folder named changes on ext2,3,4 partition) and no parameter to the kernel line. If save file or folder exists - it will be used (similar to Puppy). Option to save on exit only - like in Puppy. Support for encrypted save file.

Frugal install - supported for all three boot methods.

Full install - will use the official Debian-Live initrd to boot (initrd1.img for DebianDog-Squeeze and initrd.img for DebianDog-Wheezy and Jessie).

Copy to RAM - Only with frugal install but:
Porteus boot will load all modules available in "live" and its subfolders. Boot parameter copy2ram.
Live-boot-2(3) - will load only one module in RAM. Boot parameter toram=01-filesystem.squashfs. Or will load the all the content of CD, USB, HDD partition in RAM using only toram parameter (toram only is not suitable for frugal install on hard drive).

All these and more parameters are included in official Debian live-boot documentation. The older version live-boot documentation is hard to find at the moment because some changes in Debian Live project. But I have them in github wiki page for anyone interested to learn more about live-boot:
https://github.com/MintPup/DebianDog-Squeeze/wiki/live-boot-2.0-docs
https://github.com/MintPup/DebianDog-Squeeze/wiki/live-boot-3.0,-4.0-docs

Probably someone will ask why do we need to keep live-boot-2 and live-boot-3 in all iso versions? Because I use live-boot-2. I find it the most simple, reliable and easy to use and the only boot-method (initrd1.img) that doesn't need a fix so far (except the improvement to use .wh files from extra squashfs modules). And I don't want to remove any well documented official Debian-Live boot method from DebianDog.

Edit: About systemd <-> sysvinit:

Systemd -> boot with systemd is available in DebianDog-Wheezy and DebianDog-Jessie (not in DebianDog-Squeeze). Systemd is the default init in Debian stable and testing now. Sysvinit (initscripts) is still available as option but some functions in Window managers like Gnome will not work properly with sysvinit. They need boot with systemd.
DebianDog (Wheezy and Jessie) keeps default sysvinit boot with menu entries for systemd boot. Adding manually init=/bin/systemd to the kernel boot line boots with systemd. Removing the parameter boots with sysvinit. Works with all three boot methods.
You can find information about systemd against sysvinit in this forum and in many other places.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2016, 07:25    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

What's your opinion about the following?

Provide a .deb including all porteus-boot related scripts, with modified snapmergepuppy.
Downside is that it can be uninstalled, but 'Required: yes' and 'Priority: essential' in control file would give a fat warning (when using apt-get), and the need to type the exact phrase: Yes, do as I say!
Strange thing is btw, that aptitude doesn't give this warning, synaptic does similar as apt-get

The advantage would be that we can always upgrade it when needed.

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2016, 13:54    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, All,

Here's a .deb package for the Palemoon browser;
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5NlYzQmM2cTh1Uk0/palemoon_26.1.0_i386.deb

Tested on Jessie only.

From description;
Quote:
Firefox-based, efficient and easy to use web browser
Pale Moon offers selected features and optimizations to maximize
the browser's speed, stability and user experience, while maintaining
compatibility with the thousands of Firefox extensions you have come
to love and rely on.

Pale Moon requires a processor that supports the SSE2 instruction set.
Run /proc/cpuinfo in a terminal, and look for sse2 in the flags to ensure
that your processor supports it.

Homepage:
http://www.palemoon.org/

It's smaller than Firefox or Iceweasel, and seems to run faster.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb 2016, 02:05    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi Toni, All,

Here's a .deb package for the Palemoon browser;
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5NlYzQmM2cTh1Uk0/palemoon_26.1.0_i386.deb

Hi Fred.
Thanks, but can you confirm this package doesn't violate the palemoon license?
http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=6655
I don't like to upload something that could create problems for dd-repo ftp owners.

Toni

saintless

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb 2016, 02:34    Post subject:  

Hi Fred.
fredx181 wrote:
Hi Toni,

What's your opinion about the following?

Provide a .deb including all porteus-boot related scripts, with modified snapmergepuppy.
Downside is that it can be uninstalled, but 'Required: yes' and 'Priority: essential' in control file would give a fat warning (when using apt-get), and the need to type the exact phrase: Yes, do as I say!
Strange thing is btw, that aptitude doesn't give this warning, synaptic does similar as apt-get

The advantage would be that we can always upgrade it when needed.

Which files are porteus-boot related? Even make save file script and configuration files for Jwm and IceWm are porteus-boot related (they use wmpoweroff and wmreboot).
I don't like this idea much. I think porteus-boot related files are the same only in DD-Wheezy and DD-Jessie. This means 2 more different packages for MintPup and DD-Squeeze.
I guess you will like to include in this package the new save setup. It has not enough tested yet script changes and extra script in /root, /home/puppy, /etc/skel. And it doesn't work in DD-Squeeze because of make save file script (older yad version there). I'm also not sure if all other porteus-boot scripts are the same in DD-Squeeze.
In my opinion deffinetly not with 'Required: yes' and 'Priority: essential' in control file. I have a feeling this will create some kind of problem one day.

Maybe a package with long and unique name starting with debdog and only libc6 as dependency (as we did with debdoginstallscripts). It will be difficult to uninstall it by mistake anyway and it will not be auto-removed till libc6 is available.

Or deb package that has all files in /tmp or /opt and moves them to the right path from postinst script. This way uninstalling the package will not remove the porteus-boot files.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb 2016, 07:01    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Quote:
Thanks, but can you confirm this package doesn't violate the palemoon license?

I can confirm that the package contains only the unaltered Palemoon binaries, nothing more.
Only thing I wasn't absolutely sure of: if it's still required to ask permission:

Here 666philb apologize and asks for permission
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=43307#p43307

Moonchild grants permission in reply and makes note of the changed licence

Quote:
Updated:

3a. You have re-packed the browser in a different archive format (either common or proprietary)
(an exception to this is re-packaging required for specific target operating systems, e.g. rpm, deb, pet)

Here vicmz asks for permission (also about language modification):
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=44746#p44746
Quote:

According to your reply, can I request permission to:
- include PaleMoon as default browser (unaltered) in Puppy Linux derivatives?

Moonchild's reply:
Quote:

- include PaleMoon as default browser (unaltered) in Puppy Linux derivatives?
This is already allowed as per the (updated) redist license. Please have a read through it.

The last makes me conclude that it's permitted in the form of a .deb (if unaltered) and asking permission is not required, but I must admit I'm not very good in exactly understanding these things.

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb 2016, 07:53    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Quote:
Which files are porteus-boot related?

I just thought: snapmergepuppy, save2flash, wmpoweroff, wmreboot in /usr/bin and
/etc/init.d/snapexit and /opt/bin/snap (and postinst script with line: update-rc.d snapexit)

Quote:
I guess you will like to include in this package the new save setup. It has not enough tested yet script changes and extra script in /root, /home/puppy, /etc/skel.

It's included in DD64, I can say I tested enough and no problems are reported about it in DD64 thread (although that doesn't say very much)
I understand that you don't like to include as default, we can keep it as it is now (option to load .squashfs)

Quote:
Or deb package that has all files in /tmp or /opt and moves them to the right path from postinst script. This way uninstalling the package will not remove the porteus-boot files.

I like that idea.
But if you prefer to make only the replacement of snapmergepuppy in future iso release it's also fine by me.

Anyway attached modified snapmergepuppy:
TIP:
Extract in the rootcopy folder so you get <rootcopy>/usr/bin/snapmergepuppy

Edit; Another subject, Just for info, I found that this package for xvidcap (Ubuntu Jaunty) works nicely on DD jessie (or maybe also on squeeze and wheezy)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xvidcap/files/xvidcap/1.1.7/xvidcap_1.1.7jaunty_i386.deb/download
Doesn't need ffmpeg or libav-tools installed probably because it's statically linked to it.(but does depend on imagemagick for single frame capture)

Fred
snapmergepuppy.tar.gz
Description  Modified snapmergepuppy
gz

Download 
Filename  snapmergepuppy.tar.gz 
Filesize  2.1 KB 
Downloaded  160 Time(s) 
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb 2016, 05:01    Post subject:  

Hi Fred.

fredx181 wrote:
I can confirm that the package contains only the unaltered Palemoon binaries, nothing more.

Thanks, this should be OK reading the license. I will upload it in DD-Jessie repo in the next days. (Edit: Done).

fredx181 wrote:
I just thought: snapmergepuppy, save2flash, wmpoweroff, wmreboot in /usr/bin and
/etc/init.d/snapexit and /opt/bin/snap (and postinst script with line: update-rc.d snapexit)

OK.

Quote:
Quote:

I like that idea.

Lets make such package then. It will be easier for you to update it in the future and when the new-setup is tested well in all iso versions we can add it as upgraded package.

Quote:
Edit; Another subject, Just for info, I found that this package for xvidcap (Ubuntu Jaunty) works nicely on DD jessie (or maybe also on squeeze and wheezy)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xvidcap/files/xvidcap/1.1.7/xvidcap_1.1.7jaunty_i386.deb/download
Doesn't need ffmpeg or libav-tools installed probably because it's statically linked to it.(but does depend on imagemagick for single frame capture)

I confirm it works in DD-Squeeze. Is there alternative xvidcap version in any multimedia debian repo? If you like to upload this package in dd-repository we have to make sure it doesn't have conflicting files with some other xvidcap version from multimedia repo.

Toni

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb 2016, 11:36    Post subject: Xvidcap  

deleted: more intelligently discussed by fredx181 here & following: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=891266#891266

mikesLr
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 28 Feb 2016, 08:06    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Quote:
Lets make such package then. It will be easier for you to update it in the future and when the new-setup is tested well in all iso versions we can add it as upgraded package.

Ok, I made 2 packages, porteusbootscripts old and new.

Old is v 0.0.1, it contains the scripts as they are now in the iso, except snapmergepuppy is modified.
New is v 0.0.2, it contains the scripts for the New save-setup.

Once installed, uninstalling one of the packages will make no change in the system, so in fact it's only possible to upgrade/downgrade.
It's new for me to make package with such a construction, so tell me if you have some idea to improve.
Tested on wheezy and jessie.

Also here's attached upgrade of 99-new-save-setup.squashfs, added modified /usr/bin/snapmergepuppy.

Edit:
Quote:
I confirm it works in DD-Squeeze. Is there alternative xvidcap version in any multimedia debian repo? If you like to upload this package in dd-repository we have to make sure it doesn't have conflicting files with some other xvidcap version from multimedia repo.

Maybe there was in the past a Debian-mutimedia package xvidcap, but not anymore.
Yes, I would like to have it in the repository
Here's the Jaunty package from sourceforge with only change that I added oss-compat as dependency.
(/dev/dsp is default in the xvidcap preferences and works well for me)
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5N1RxbWQ5Z3VXMVU/xvidcap_1.1.7_i386.deb

Edit2: Re-attached 99-new-save-setup.squashfs, forgot changing ownership of /home/puppy

Fred
99-new-save-setup.squashfs.tar
Description  Re-attached New new-save-setup.squashfs remove fake .tar extension
tar

Download 
Filename  99-new-save-setup.squashfs.tar 
Filesize  12 KB 
Downloaded  172 Time(s) 
porteusbootscripts_0.0.1_i386.deb.tar
Description  porteusbootscrips v0.0.1 remove fake .tar extension
tar

Download 
Filename  porteusbootscripts_0.0.1_i386.deb.tar 
Filesize  8.42 KB 
Downloaded  158 Time(s) 
porteusbootscripts_0.0.2_i386.deb.tar
Description  porteusbootscrips v0.0.2 remove fake .tar extension
tar

Download 
Filename  porteusbootscripts_0.0.2_i386.deb.tar 
Filesize  10.35 KB 
Downloaded  157 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 11:23; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 28 Feb 2016, 09:14    Post subject:  

Hi Fred.
fredx181 wrote:
Ok, I made 2 packages, porteusbootscripts old and new.

Old is v 0.0.1, it contains the scripts as they are now in the iso, except snapmergepuppy is modified.
New is v 0.0.2, it contains the scripts for the New save-setup.

I will add this line in version 0.0.2:
Code:
chown -R puppy:puppy /home/puppy/Startup/initchanges.sh

Otherwise:
Code:
ls -l /home/puppy/Startup/initchanges.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root  root   404 Nov  4 20:39 initchanges.sh

Any reason not to remove /opt/tmp in postinst script in both packages? Uninstalling works without errors with apt-get and synaptic.

Quote:
Yes, I would like to have it in the repository
Here's the Jaunty package from sourceforge with only change that I added oss-compat as dependency.
(/dev/dsp is default in the xvidcap preferences and works well for me)
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5N1RxbWQ5Z3VXMVU/xvidcap_1.1.7_i386.deb

OK, I will add it today.

Edit: 99-new-save-setup.squashfs also has ./home/puppy owned by root. I will change it to puppy.

Toni

Page 38 of 68 [1013 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: