Qt 5.4x for Puppy?

Talk about and post software packages known to work or packaged for Puppy.
pa_mcclamrock

Qt 5.4x for Puppy?

#1 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

With the help of my daughter Rosemarie (a computer programmer and fellow Puppy user), I'm hoping to compile the recently released MuseScore 2.0 music notation program and turn it into an SFS for Puppy. I'm informed that MuseScore 2.0 requires Qt 5.4x. Is there a Qt 5.4 package for Puppy? If so, can somebody tell me where to find it?

David McClamrock
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Qt5 can be installed via an installer package, you have online or offline options. You may need to do a bit of tweaking of your PATHS to make sure everything can be found after installation. Maybe edit /etc/profile and reboot to do this.
https://www.qt.io/download-open-source/#section-2
Oscar in England

peebee

#3 Post by peebee »

OscarTalks wrote:Qt5 can be installed via an installer package, you have online or offline options. You may need to do a bit of tweaking of your PATHS to make sure everything can be found after installation. Maybe edit /etc/profile and reboot to do this.
https://www.qt.io/download-open-source/#section-2
Thanks for the link....but Oh! the size!!!
Qt 5.4.1 for Linux 32-bit (546 MB)
Is it possible to have a more "Puppy compatible" size???? We had an sfs for Qt4 that was just over 30MB...... http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... -slacko14/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2-i686-s14.sfs
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

something wrong with an gui toolkit thats larger than many operating systems...how archaic are you.... bloat is the new sexy .....

Well tailor the package for the app...for example the notation program may not need webkit and the myriad of plugins, plus the language support could be optional...that usually trims it.

Or get a music notation program with a kinder dependency list...I remember having one...amuc...just used x and did the job... think it used fluidsynth which is smaller too though the bulk of that is usually the soundfonts.

I suppose like .net in windows, qt is in the big distros so coders don't have to think about it and gtk2/3 is just too flaming awkward.
For skype you have 35MB of software for a login box...and vlc to set a few preferences.

One beef though...why the hell are QT libs not simply placed in the /usr/lib path..would save all this dumb 'adding to the path at boot' nonsense. click and run is nice...we should try it sometime :D

mike

peebee

#5 Post by peebee »

Here is the list of files installed in /opt after running (needs execute permission setting BTW) the .run file.

Which aren't needed??
Attachments
qt5-file-list.tar.gz
(89.04 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pa_mcclamrock

#6 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

I tried both the online and offline 64-bit installers (I have an Athlon 64-bit processor), after setting the permissions to execute (755), and got error messages saying the binary file couldn't be run. Just to be sure, I tried the 32-bit ones too, and the same thing happened. What could be wrong, I wonder?
--Linus Torvalds

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Which aren't needed??
run ldd /path/to/musescore and it will tell you what IS used.....I have yet to find anyything that uses the plugins and similar esoteric stuff...

nothing to unzip handy..will check later for the rest.

Musescore may not run as most put qt somewhere not in the main library paths...fun eh...so you have to reboot to get them seem...but there might be other reasons...what does it say running from the command line?

mike

watchdog

#8 Post by watchdog »

Scabz compiled qt5 but I have not yet used it:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 230#830230

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Ok that file list is a bit awkward..the output from find may be neater.

A quick look showed it had all the sources or compilation residues in there for starters.

The package above may help or easier to run ldd and pick out the actual required libraries.

mike

pa_mcclamrock

#10 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

watchdog wrote:Scabz compiled qt5 but I have not yet used it:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 230#830230
That's more like it, I hope! I'm informed that MuseScore 2.0 will actually work with Qt 5.3 as well as 5.4; I'll try to find out if 5.2 is good enough. If not . . . maybe I could beg Scabz to compile 5.3 or 5.4.
--Linus Torvalds

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

is there an older version of musescore that is less demanding...after all its just the interface qt handles.
Indeed it may even build with qt4

Mike

pa_mcclamrock

#12 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

mikeb wrote:is there an older version of musescore that is less demanding...after all its just the interface qt handles.
Indeed it may even build with qt4

Mike
Yes, I have SFS's for MuseScore 1.0 and Qt 4.8.2, which work--but MuseScore 2.0 is supposed to have some excellent improvements, and I'd like to be able to give it a try.
--Linus Torvalds

scsijon

#13 Post by scsijon »

If your still looking for source for puppy try https://download.qt.io/official_release ... .1/single/, it's still 278meg as an xz though.

pa_mcclamrock

#14 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

scsijon wrote:If your still looking for source for puppy try https://download.qt.io/official_release ... .1/single/, it's still 278meg as an xz though.
Thanks! For some reason the xz wouldn't open on my system, but the tar.gz would. If I can just get it compiled and turned into an SFS, I don't much care how big it is; I've got plenty of room on my hard drive for SFS's. Now to see if my daughter can help me through the pitfalls of compiling!
--Linus Torvalds

scsijon

#15 Post by scsijon »

means you don't have a suitable compress/decompress utility, try 7z.

to build it, try src2pkg v3.0 though, you'll end with a pet and pet2sfs will give you a sfs. don't forget to run src2pkg -setup after installing so it sets itself up properly.

you'll need to check your qt5 dependancies in case it needs them updating first, but one again src2pkg will build them.

have fun

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

if you don;t have xz handling I question if the puppy you are using will let you build qt5 either (older glibc and others)

mike

pa_mcclamrock

#17 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

mikeb wrote:if you don;t have xz handling I question if the puppy you are using will let you build qt5 either (older glibc and others)

mike
Maybe not; I'm still using Slacko 5.5. I've got devx loaded, but I don't see src2pkg on my system either. I guess it's about time for an upgrade. Is Slacko 5.7 good enough, or is there something better?
--Linus Torvalds

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

qt5 is not mentioned on the slackware ftp site for 14.1 which i assume is related to slacko release.
Sounds like you need a new system for this bunny... tahr time at a guess.

mike

pa_mcclamrock

#19 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

OK, welcome me to 2015; I'm downloading Tahrpup 6.0.2 and the corresponding devx, after looking on Wikipedia to find out what kind of animal a "Tahr" is (a big wild-goat-like animal). After a delay of unknown length, I may be back with more questions--stay tuned!
--Linus Torvalds

scsijon

#20 Post by scsijon »

src2pkg is a pet, do a search and you'll find it in the forum.
it runs from a terminal, it's not a gui package.
don't forget to run src2pkg --setup when it's first installed so it unpacks itself.