1.09 on thinkpad: no CPU fan?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
EZ4arabs

1.09 on thinkpad: no CPU fan?

#1 Post by EZ4arabs »

while testing puppy 1.0.9 on my friend's thinkpad noticed that the fan doesn't work.it was run from a live CD so i though because it runs totally on ram maybe thats the reason but when installed (full install) the same thing .
my friend would love to dumb windowz but he is worried that his laptop will be damaged.Is this normal or its a bug?!

darkerror05

#2 Post by darkerror05 »

Are you sure the fan isnt running. With my thinkpad an pup the fan just runs very low(i thought that it was not running for a while too). I use pup on the thinkpad and works fine.
-darkerror

John Doe

#3 Post by John Doe »

Try this:

#!/bin/sh
modprobe ac
modprobe battery
modprobe fan
modprobe processor
modprobe thermal
#/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/polling_frequency
wmpower -no-meddling &

EZ4arabs

#4 Post by EZ4arabs »

John Doe wrote:Try this:

#!/bin/sh
modprobe ac
modprobe battery
modprobe fan
modprobe processor
modprobe thermal
#/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/polling_frequency
wmpower -no-meddling &
That is amazing John Doe ,Thank you but as you can see from the captured image the fan doesn't work.i guess if he like puppy that much he will have to use his laptop next to an air conditioner unit like we did to test the script.

Thanks again.
Attachments
cap.jpg
power manager
(3.6 KiB) Downloaded 736 times

raffy

Must be cool

#5 Post by raffy »

Maybe it is just that with Puppy, the CPU is cool? Some people have done tests on CPU temperatures last year and found Puppy cooler for their system.

And by the way, the temperature monitoring is set in the BIOS, so if that temperature is still in the accepted range, there should be no problem.

Anyway, what are the specifications of that laptop?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

BlackAdder

#6 Post by BlackAdder »

My laptop is not a Thinkpad, but I think it is fairly typical in that the fan does not run until the temperature is more than 70c. The fan then runs until the temperature falls below 55c or thereabouts.
With Puppy, the temperature does not often reach the >70c level, partly because the hard disk is accessed very little. The temperature reported by wmpower seems accurate within its lights, but I'm doubtful about its report on fan status. Still, at the 60c shown in the screenshot, you would not normally expect the fan to be running.

Sit Heel Speak

#7 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

My laptop is a Thinkpad T21. With both Puppy 1.08r and 2.01r2, the fan does run, but only at low speed, never high. Perhaps because the disk is accessed in Puppy much less than in Windows, as BlackAdder says. Anyway, I've kept the machine on a few times overnight--for more than 72 hours straight in fact, while downloading the Fedora Bordeaux .iso package--and my T21 (obviously) did not melt down.

Foucault

#8 Post by Foucault »

My wmpower looks just like the screenshot posted above, and just like that, the fan doesn't indicate anything. I can feel that the fan is running, however. The temperature runs at around 59 or 60 - is that about normal? I'm running Puppy 2.02 on a ThinkPad R52.