NVIDIA driver install on tahrPup. Never mind.

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
gychang

NVIDIA driver install on tahrPup. Never mind.

#1 Post by gychang »

LIke to optimize my display since I use it for photo editing. I have NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] card. I can download and install the nvidia 346.35 PAE using the quickpet, then I drop down to command line on the shutdown menu, xorgwizard, no menu to probe but just test, when I finish it just hangs...

what am I doing wrong?

thanks,

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Are you using the PAE version of Tahrpup?

Nvidia web site says you need to use the Nvidia 340. driver version.

You need to uninstall the nvidia 346.35 PAE driver by using the uninstall in the Puppy Package Manager (PPM).

Reboot.

Use Quickpet to install the Nvidia 340,58 driver.

Try xorgwizard again.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gychang

#3 Post by gychang »

bigpup wrote:Are you using the PAE version of Tahrpup?

You need to uninstall the nvidia 346.35 PAE driver by using the uninstall in the Puppy Package Manager (PPM).

Reboot.

Use Quickpet to install the Nvidia 340,58 driver.

Try xorgwizard again.
Am using PAE version
I can not uninstall nvidia 346.35 PAE from PPM since it does not come up as installed package (looked every line)
installed Nvidia 340.58 and again it does not work.

Guess is there another way of uninstalling?

thanks for helping.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I don't know how you're going to uninstall. Before you go to much more trouble, it might be worth confirming that the 340.58 driver will work, by booting Tahrpup from DVD with the puppy pfix=ram boot option, then installing the driver. If it works, then shut down without saving, boot your installed puppy and proceed with uninstalling/reinstalling the driver.

gychang

#5 Post by gychang »

Flash wrote:I don't know how you're going to uninstall. Before you go to much more trouble, it might be worth confirming that the 340.58 driver will work, by booting Tahrpup from DVD with the puppy pfix=ram boot option, then installing the driver. If it works, then shut down without saving, boot your installed puppy and proceed with uninstalling/reinstalling the driver.
this is interesting strategy and I tried it and I still get the error message "xservtransocet..., unable to open...". can't seem to get it working.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Are you sure you have a good Tahrpup iso file download and good working install of Tahrpup?

Are you using Tahrpup 6.0.2?
Have you updated it by running Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup Updates.

Tahrpup is installed how?
On what?
What format is the partition it is installed on?
I still get the error message "xservtransocet..., unable to open...".
You get this message when you do what?
Details.

Unable to uninstall a package with PPM is not normal.
If it was installed using Quickpet, it should be listed in the PPM uninstall.
YaPI(any iso installer)

gychang

#7 Post by gychang »

bigpup wrote:Are you sure you have a good Tahrpup iso file download and good working install of Tahrpup?

Are you using Tahrpup 6.0.2?
Have you updated it by running Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup Updates.

Tahrpup is installed how?
On what?
What format is the partition it is installed on?
I still get the error message "xservtransocet..., unable to open...".
You get this message when you do what?
Details.

Unable to uninstall a package with PPM is not normal.
If it was installed using Quickpet, it should be listed in the PPM uninstall.
I have a good working tahrpup, otherwise. Format is ext4, installed from USB memory stick, am using the latest tahrpup 6.0.3.
I am using updated it by running Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup Updates, and first tried nvidia driver under tahrpup 6.0.3 tab which did not work.

thanks for helping...

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

OK, I will guess.
Tahrpup is installed to the hard drive on partition sda1, formatted ext 4.

It is a frugal install using a save file or folder.

I will guess a save folder, so I do not have to figure out if maybe you have a corrupted or too small a save file.

I will guess that the partition has some amount of free space on it, so the save folder has room to store added files.

So, they say that is the driver that supports your graphics hardware.

I know in Quickpet the Nvidia 340,58 driver is listed under the tab for Tahrpup 6.0, but that is where it is.

When getting the driver loaded with Xorgwizard you need to have only one Nvidia driver package installed, so Xorgwizard knows to only select that one.
If you have more than one driver package installed, Xorgwizard does not know which one to use.

When you booted using puppy pfix=ram so the save is not used.
I will guess that you have about 1 to 2 GB of ram, so the Nvidia driver package has room to install to ram.
I tried it and I still get the error message "xservtransocet..., unable to open...".
I will guess you did this using puppy pfix=ram and trying to use the Nvidia 340,58 driver.

At what point in the driver install did you get this error message????????
YaPI(any iso installer)

gychang

#9 Post by gychang »

bigpup wrote:OK, I will guess.
Tahrpup is installed to the hard drive on partition sda1, formatted ext 4.

It is a frugal install using a save file or folder.

I will guess a save folder, so I do not have to figure out if maybe you have a corrupted or too small a save file.

I will guess that the partition has some amount of free space on it, so the save folder has room to store added files.

So, they say that is the driver that supports your graphics hardware.

I know in Quickpet the Nvidia 340,58 driver is listed under the tab for Tahrpup 6.0, but that is where it is.

When getting the driver loaded with Xorgwizard you need to have only one Nvidia driver package installed, so Xorgwizard knows to only select that one.
If you have more than one driver package installed, Xorgwizard does not know which one to use.

When you booted using puppy pfix=ram so the save is not used.
I will guess that you have about 1 to 2 GB of ram, so the Nvidia driver package has room to install to ram.
I tried it and I still get the error message "xservtransocet..., unable to open...".
I will guess you did this using puppy pfix=ram and trying to use the Nvidia 340,58 driver.

At what point in the driver install did you get this error message????????
You are right in almost all accounts. it is installed in internal HD-SSD (sda4) partition using ext4, using save folder. according to partview I have plenty of space (40G) still. I have total of 4G RAM. I have updated to tahrpup 6.0.3. Under quickpet I see tab for 6.0iso and 6.0.2iso but no tab for 6.0.3iso.

1. Should I remove 6.0.3 and revert back to 6.0.2iso and use the nvidia 346.35PAE install?
2. again in PPM, there is no nividia driver to uninstall at this time.

Yes, I have used "puppy pfix=ram" on console when it boots to make sure save folder is not used.

thanks for your expertise.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

You booted with the puppy pfix=ram boot option, then tried installing which NVIDIA driver? At what point in the driver install did you get the error message?

gychang

#11 Post by gychang »

Flash wrote:You booted with the puppy pfix=ram boot option, then tried installing which NVIDIA driver? At what point in the driver install did you get the error message?
thanks all for trying to help, it is not worth getting this done, I have wasted enough of my and your time. Again I appreciate efforts to all.

I will just be satisfied with nouveau driver...

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

I think you may have discovered a bug in the Nvidia driver packages offered in Quickpet.

I am going to post a reference to this topic in the Tahrpup bugs topic, so the developer of Tahrpup can look at this.
He understands why he feels there needs to be a difference in the drivers for Tahrpup 6.0 and Tahrpup 6.0.2.

Lets see what he says about this.

According to Nvidia's web site. Your hardware is not supported by the nvidia 346.35PAE driver package.
So, that would explain why it does not work.
If you did install a Nvidia driver package using Quickpet. There should be a listing for it, in the Uninstall list, in PPM.
Should I remove 6.0.3 and revert back to 6.0.2iso
No.
The 6.0.3 update should not be causing you any problems.
It does not have a tab, because it is not an iso release of Tahrpup, only an update to the Tahrpup 6.0.2 iso.
The tab refers to what Tahrpup iso file you started with.
YaPI(any iso installer)

gychang

#13 Post by gychang »

bigpup wrote:I think you may have discovered a bug in the Nvidia driver packages offered in Quickpet.

I am going to post a reference to this topic in the Tahrpup bugs topic, so the developer of Tahrpup can look at this.
He understands why he feels there needs to be a difference in the drivers for Tahrpup 6.0 and Tahrpup 6.0.2.

Lets see what he says about this.

According to Nvidia's web site. Your hardware is not supported by the nvidia 346.35PAE driver package.
So, that would explain why it does not work.
If you did install a Nvidia driver package using Quickpet. There should be a listing for it, in the Uninstall list, in PPM.
Should I remove 6.0.3 and revert back to 6.0.2iso
No.
The 6.0.3 update should not be causing you any problems.
It does not have a tab, because it is not an iso release of Tahrpup, only an update to the Tahrpup 6.0.2 iso.
The tab refers to what Tahrpup iso file you started with.
thanks that is very helpful. Guess there is no driver that will work for my setup, but novue is working OK for now.

666philb

#14 Post by 666philb »

hi gychang,

you could use shinobars getnvidia to build your own driver http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405

for it to work you'll need to install the correct devx and kernel sources for your puppy version 6.0 or 6.0.2 (available in quicket on the useful tab) and then follow the instructions when you run getnvidia

Note: all of tahrpups nvidia drivers were built using getnividia
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

gychang

#15 Post by gychang »

666philb wrote:hi gychang,

you could use shinobars getnvidia to build your own driver http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405

for it to work you'll need to install the correct devx and kernel sources for your puppy version 6.0 or 6.0.2 (available in quicket on the useful tab) and then follow the instructions when you run getnvidia

building my own driver is out of my league ..., thanks for info.

666philb

#16 Post by 666philb »

gychang wrote:

building my own driver is out of my league ..., thanks for info.
you should have given it a try .... it's pretty straight forward :)

so here's the 340 driver for tahrpup 6.0.2. and will only work on the 6.0.2 iso.
you can check which iso you have either 6.0 or 6.0.2 by looking on the drive where puppy is installed and checking the name of the puppy.sfs it'll be either
puppy_tahr_6.0.2.sfs or puppy_tahr_6.0.sfs

you also need to know whether you have the PAE or noPAE menu>>>system>>>Pup-sysinfo ...then sys-specs>>kernel

nvidia 340 PAEhttps://copy.com/LLpNyJt1WzvLle4b
nvidia 340 noPAEhttps://copy.com/Bz9UhiIeiLohlFPr
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

gychang

#17 Post by gychang »

666philb wrote:
gychang wrote:

you should have given it a try .... it's pretty straight forward :)

so here's the 340 driver for tahrpup 6.0.2. and will only work on the 6.0.2 iso.
you can check which iso you have either 6.0 or 6.0.2 by looking on the drive where puppy is installed and checking the name of the puppy.sfs it'll be either
puppy_tahr_6.0.2.sfs or puppy_tahr_6.0.sfs

you also need to know whether you have the PAE or noPAE menu>>>system>>>Pup-sysinfo ...then sys-specs>>kernel

nvidia 340 PAEhttps://copy.com/LLpNyJt1WzvLle4b
nvidia 340 noPAEhttps://copy.com/Bz9UhiIeiLohlFPr
I checked my puppy driver and I actually have puppy_tahr_6.0.sfs (I thought 6.0.2 by looking at the quickpet)

I have PAE enabled.

I downloaded the nvidia-glx-340.. pet but looks like it is for 6.0.2 and not 6.0? (was I getting wrong information by looking at quickpet?)

666philb

#18 Post by 666philb »

the 340 is in quickpet