Just-Lighthouse64-603/604

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Fishy

Up-todate

#31 Post by Fishy »

Colour me clueless but is the iso on the g-drive up todate with all patches installed? :oops:

Dry Falls

Re: Up-todate

#32 Post by Dry Falls »

Fishy wrote:is the iso on the g-drive up todate with all patches installed?
No such color, or it's the one universal colour.
The iso is unpatched.

df.

ps, "Patch" is one of those multiple entendre words easily confused if we're too highly trained. I use the word in its most generic sense, like the artificial birthmark on the right side of an 18th century french aristocrat's face when staring in the mirror, but transfigured to the left when facing the public, ever fearing appearing on the wrong page (or thread if there's a taylor about).

Dry Falls

Delta2

#33 Post by Dry Falls »

The last delta file

Code: Select all

JL64-603.sfs___JL64-603.sfs.delta
md5 checksum: 6f306551dc49acd16843a11a66ffad25
is uploaded to replace the former. It is 19.6M and contains all the previous patches and fixes. It is to be applied to JL64-603.sfs which is on the iso. The new initrd.xz file should as well replace the one on the iso.

df

Fishy

Boot Issue

#34 Post by Fishy »

Md5sum correct but all boot attempts stop at cannot find JL64-603.sfs. The same thing happened when I tried 602. Nice boot screen which goes to load drivers and then stops. The sfs requested is on the cd (burned with Burniso2cd). Fatdog64 and Tahr Ce all work fine on my box.

thanks

Dry Falls

#35 Post by Dry Falls »

@Fishy: So it sounds like you did a remaster with the patch applied. Did you boot uefi (grub2) or legacy (isolinux)? at the boot menu screen, you need to specify pmedia=cd* (or pmedia=usbflash if you you're booting from a usb stick). On grub.cfg, that would be menu entry 3 (or 3b for usb). Otherwise, it will search the drive/partitions for JL64-603.sfs.

With isolinux.cfg, there is a mistake on line 54. It should read "append pmedia=cd pfix=ram,copy" instead of cd/dvd. Sorry about that. Here are the specified parameters for pmedia:
Type of media booting from. Choose one of these:
usbflash usbhd usbcd ataflash atahd atacd atazip scsihd scsicd cd

*Lighthouse treats cd & dvd the same, so if you're booting off a dvd, it's still pmedia=cd.

Fishy

#36 Post by Fishy »

Nope just burnt iso to cd like all others. Prefer to keep things simple which is why I use Puppy. Sorry, but if I cannot boot staight from cd or dvd it is not of use to me. In the past I used Lighthouse pup without any problems.

Good luck and thanks for the effort.

Dry Falls

#37 Post by Dry Falls »

@fishy: are you saying you don't use menu options? Just want everything automatic and given? Then this distro is definitely not for you. Sorry to waste your time.

df

gcmartin

#38 Post by gcmartin »

WHat @Fishy describes is the SAME phenomenon I have booting JLH on some BIOS PCs I have (not my UEFI model). I think I reported this earlier, too. It is PC configuration dependent issue as the same DVD boots on other PCs I have. It drops out of boot immediately, with a message in RED, after it has searched for "... usb ... Done". (And, yes, my checksum (md5) matches for both downloads and DVD creation.) Its something that has been introduced but I am unsure how to trap and report the boot time problem for developer review. Selecting Prompt is not the way because it occurs when trying to load the system's SFS. Any Ideas to help isolate this?

Service Delta
For DVD users, like myself, what is the recommended method for the Delta so that the service is maintained across "save-session-reboots"?

Dry Falls

#39 Post by Dry Falls »

For DVD users, like myself, what is the recommended method for the Delta so that the service is maintained across "save-session-reboots"?
Delta file should, it seems to me, only be useful with a frugal install (to rebuild the base sfs file). Then you can make a new iso to burn a new dvd with lighthouse remaster.

If Lighthouse or Mariner (the originals) booted correctly on 'pre-uefi' equipment, I don't know what could be the problem, as I've changed or introduced nothing in that department. Tell me, was there a similar problem with k3.18.8 or earlier? Because I don't remember the problem being reported. That kernel package is still at gdrive. If I had an older 64bit machine, I could experiment. If someone would like to try this test, don't forget to swap the kernel modules inside initrd.xz.

If it's not a kernel issue, I can't imagine what it would be.

df

gcmartin

#40 Post by gcmartin »

Dry Falls wrote:... If it's not a kernel issue, ...
I'm inclined to agree with you. Has to be something in there as by the time the system gets around to loading the main SFS, it has lost its ability to find it on the DVD.

Again, this only happens on selected platforms, not the others. The DVD does boot on the others finding all of its resources needed for booting. (Please remember that this problem is totally different from the problem I reported where loop occurs prior to desktop.) So this makes the problem unique to ONLY that class/model of PCs.

And, your question on earlier LH booting on the system in question, yes it always did. Now, I just need to figure out which of the 5 PCs I ran into that problem. hummm???

Edit: I just found it. It is still sitting on the screen where the abort occurs. It is an Acer desktop X2 with 2 GB RAM and a DVD writer. It is sitting at a prompt.

Is there any commands that you feel would yield useful information that I can gather at its current prompt (Remember, the RED message "JLH64-603.sfs is not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...") which anyone feels would be helpful???

I have used the same DVD on my UEFI PC without problems seen on other BIOS PCs.

Edit#2: I just did

# uname -a
Linux (none) 4.0.1-JL-64 #1 SMP Sat May 2 11:23:52 PDT ...
Edit#3: Same result. same uname report.

Edit#4: Used a JLH DVD I have dated May 20th. Same problem and same uname report

Edit#4: Used a JLH DVD I have dated Feb 28th. WORKS!

bash-4.1# uname -a
Linux Mariner15897 3.18.5-64 #4 SMP Fri Feb 27 04:49:10 PST 2015 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 24 Jun 2015, 21:56, edited 3 times in total.

James C

#41 Post by James C »

JL64-603 live default boot on a UEFI box.Everything loaded into ram,straight to correct 1920x1080 desktop.

-Computer-
Processor		: 8x AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
Memory		: 8063MB (644MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Just-Lighthouse 64 6.02 MF
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Wed Jun 24 15:24:39 2015
-Display-
Resolution		: 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp

Was attempting to install SeaMonkey but the download failed to complete.Not the end of the world......
Attachments
JL64-603.jpg
(58.73 KiB) Downloaded 531 times

Dry Falls

legacy boot

#42 Post by Dry Falls »

"JLH64-603.sfs is not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console..."
at that point, reboot or poweroff usually results in a kernel panic. Time to pull the plug.

I just made a JL64-603g-retro iso with no addons so it's only 324M (no zwine either so you'll get the same red warning about wine. Pay it no mind. It'll just be the same as "pmedia=Pure64". The iso was made straight off Tazoc's final Mariner iso, only with the k3.18.8 kernel package and JL64-603g.sfs basefile. the 603g only means it has all the patches and deltas builtin. Tazoc left off the 32 bit lighthouse project with version lhp-503g, so there's a method to this madness. Either that or a false sense of optimism.

Anyway, I'll upload it either tonight (>witching hour) or tomorrow. See how that does.

@ James C. the latest version really does have fewer bugs. Next week I'll have v603g uploaded. Glad to see JL64 is working out for you.

df

Dry Falls

#43 Post by Dry Falls »

James C wrote:Was attempting to install SeaMonkey but the download failed to complete.Not the end of the world......
The seamonkey sfs at gdrive is made specifically for JL64. The reason Gslapt considers it upgradeable is that it iappears as a 14.0 build instead of 14.1. But it's basically the same package. When I made the sfs, I used the old version and slipped in the upgrade and made a few new symlinks. I only changed the version number in the package specs. To tell the truth, it's not a slackbuild at all.

Dry Falls

#44 Post by Dry Falls »

Dry Falls wrote:If it's not a kernel issue, I can't imagine what it would be.
I'm now tending to think that the legacy boot problem is not the kernel, but a missing autorun.inf file which was in the original iso. If the retro boots ok, I'll rebuild the new k4.0.1 iso from that.

df

gcmartin

#45 Post by gcmartin »

I will test and report as soon as available.

James C

#46 Post by James C »

Quick live cd test on an older box. Default boot,everything loaded in ram.

-Computer-
Processor		: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
Memory		: 2048MB (611MB used)
Date/Time		: Wed Jun 24 23:34:25 2015
-Display-
Resolution		: 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa DRI nv18 
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: VIA8237 - VIA 8251
-Input Devices-
 Sleep Button
 Power Button
 Po-Computer-
Processor		: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
Memory		: 2048MB (611MB used)
Date/Time		: Wed Jun 24 23:34:25 2015
-Display-
Resolution		: 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa DRI nv18 
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: VIA8237 - VIA 8251

bash-4.2# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       2048056      1967324        80732       683612       231276
-/+ buffers:            1736048       312008
Swap:      4095996            0      4095996

bash-4.2# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Just-Lighthouse64, version 603

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000] (rev a4)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
  Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 evdev exa extmod fb fbdevhw glx record shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

Dry Falls

Re: legacy boot

#47 Post by Dry Falls »

Dry Falls wrote:I just made a JL64-603g-retro iso with no addons so it's only 324M (no zwine either so you'll get the same red warning about wine. Pay it no mind. It'll just be the same as "pmedia=Pure64"). The iso was made straight off Tazoc's final Mariner iso, only with the k3.18.8 kernel package and JL64-603g.sfs basefile. the 603g only means it has all the patches and deltas builtin.
uploaded. md5: 309704bb87a0837a2088663ce76e9a2c

df

Fishy

Working

#48 Post by Fishy »

The retro verison boots and all else falls into place. Sorry if you misunderstood my previous post. I did try all boot menu items but all failed at the same place. So now I can play with JLH and determine if it will end up as the go to distro.

Thanks to you and GC Martin for sorting out my problem. :wink: :wink:

gcmartin

Re: Working

#49 Post by gcmartin »

Tested Retro on the problem PC choosing same option 2 as before without parm changes using a Live DVD...Works, too.

If any info from this system is wanted, name it.

Issue
In this round of tests, I have a USB storage-stick present at boot time. But, once on the JLH-Retro desktop, the system has not recognized it. Further my HDD drive's partitions are mounted on "sde" vs. "sda". This may be normal, but, 1st time this sequence has presented itself.

Testing continues...

Dry Falls

#50 Post by Dry Falls »

Sorry to have jumped to the defensive, Fishy. Thanks.

@gcmartin, I just first-booted from retro installed inside a directory on a usb ssd with 'pmedia=usbhd'. It's properly identified two drives with fourteen partitions and loaded two swaps as well as identifying a 16G usb stick and canon printer also plugged into a usb slot. It's internal memory is even id'd and I've installed no drivers.

I really couldn't guess what's going on with your box.

df