Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 06 Jul 2015, 07:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to flush memory to disk?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
yellowsheep

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2015, 00:17    Post subject:  How to flush memory to disk?  

I've installed Virtualbox on Puppy 5.4 on a USB. It's fun, a very interesting combination. When I install small virtual machines, everything works fine.

Problem is, when I try to create a larger virtual machine on Puppy (again, still running on USB here), halfway through the process it chokes because it's filling up memory instead of writing to disk.

1. Is it possible to change settings temporarily so that memory immediately flushes to disk so I can install something larger than my memory space (3gb) ?

better yet:
2. is it possible to automatically flush memory to disk when the memory usage reaches a certain threshold?.
dancytron

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2015, 00:48    Post subject:  

What follows is just a guess.

You can try to fool it into thinking you are using a hard drive instead of a usb.

Read this http://puppylinux.com/development/howpuppyworks.html

So, you can set the pupmode by using the pmedia boot parameter.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BootParametersPuppy

so, add pmedia=usbhd or maybe pmedia=idehd to the boot. That will make it think that it is a hard drive and will write changes to the drive instead of holding them in memory.

Anyway, that is a guess. I know it works the opposite way, getting it to treat a hard drive like it is a usb drive.
yellowsheep

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2015, 01:39    Post subject:  

Wow dancytron I'll bet that will solve my problem. Thank you so much. I'm going to test it right now.
dancytron

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2015, 22:46    Post subject:  

Mark this thread solved if that works for you.
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2015, 23:55    Post subject:  

From Virtualbox manual:
Quote:
On the next page, select the memory (RAM) that VirtualBox should allocate every time the virtual machine is started. The amount of memory given here will be taken away from your host machine and presented to the guest operating system, which will report this size as the (virtual) computer's installed RAM.

Note
Choose this setting carefully! The memory you give to the VM will not be available to your host OS while the VM is running, so do not specify more than you can spare. For example, if your host machine has 1 GB of RAM and you enter 512 MB as the amount of RAM for a particular virtual machine, while that VM is running, you will only have 512 MB left for all the other software on your host. If you run two VMs at the same time, even more memory will be allocated for the second VM (which may not even be able to start if that memory is not available). On the other hand, you should specify as much as your guest OS (and your applications) will require to run properly.
A Windows XP guest will require at least a few hundred MB RAM to run properly, and Windows Vista will even refuse to install with less than 512 MB. Of course, if you want to run graphics-intensive applications in your VM, you may require even more RAM.

So, as a rule of thumb, if you have 1 GB of RAM or more in your host computer, it is usually safe to allocate 512 MB to each VM. But, in any case, make sure you always have at least 256 to 512 MB of RAM left on your host operating system. Otherwise you may cause your host OS to excessively swap out memory to your hard disk, effectively bringing your host system to a standstill.

Do you have a Linux swap partition on this computer?

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: