Mintpup (THREAD CLOSED)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mcewanw

#136 Post by mcewanw »

EDIT: See below link for howto create a bootable usb flash stick of MintPup (including savefile persistence) from a running MS Windows system:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 512#859512
----

Hi Toni,

I've downloaded your new MintPup-jwm_icewm iso and am posting from it now. I'm using Firefox which I installed via

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install firefox
Note to others: after downloading the likes of Firefox you can change desktop browser icon to point to firefox rather than dillo by using menu item JWM -> Settings -> Set Default App. The main item to modify with that is default-web_browser to /usr/bin/firefox.

I've also added flashplayer using utility JWM menu -> Settings -> FlashPlayer Choice. Personally, I'm currently using choice 2, which is flash version 11.x.

Then I set timezone with JWM menu -> Settings -> Set TimeZone

Note that I continue to use the Porteus boot with save changes on EXIT method (which is my favourite), currently from my hard drive /mnt/sda4 partition using menu.lst entry below (note that the following assumes/uses a more standard MintPup-Frugal-Install type grub4dos installation rather than a syslinix or iso-based installation created by windows installers 'rufus' or 'isoboot-win'):

title Mint - Porteus save on EXIT in directory /casper/changes
root (hd0,3)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/casper/
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
Anyway, this is another great piece of work Toni, which deserves to be very popular.

William
----

EDIT: Note, if you want mesa accelerated graphics, you need to install that facility using

apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri
(or via Synaptic GUI for apt package manager). On some machines you may also need to install special graphic driver firmware, but mesa works out of the box on my HP Elitebook 2530p laptop (as does wifi via frisbee).

EDIT2: Note that you don't need to reboot to save changes at any time, even with Porteus save on EXIT only boot method. You can as an alternative run the command

save2flash
at any time from a terminal, which is what I often do. Personally, I generally don't do anything on the system whilst a save2flash is in process, just in case that would mess things up (I don't know if that is necessary or not).

EDIT3: By the way, I normally install the additional lxterminal since it provides a tabbed terminal interface including scroll bars and easier cut and paste commandline functionality:

apt-get install lxterminal
EDIT3b: I forgot this came with roxterm terminal, which also provides a tabbed interface and easy copy and paste functionality, so don't need lxterminal (which I have thus now removed with

apt-get purge lxterminal
apt-get autoremove
Edit4: I've now also installed Fred's debdog radio (version 0.0.3). I downloaded the actual deb from his google drive link given here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 507#854507

To install it, I just opened a terminal at the directory where I had the dogradio deb package stored and issued the command:

dpkg -i dogradio_0.0.3.deb
However, dpkg gave error message that dependency 'conky' was also required, so I used the command:

apt-get install -f 
which automatically completed the dogradio installation by installing conky.

That's a bit of a heavy addition if you don't really want conky. The MintPup-jwm_icewm provides xhippo by default, which provides a light-weight albeit less-user-friendly alternative to play radio stations (open xhippo and right-click Load playlist -> 0default.d.xplist). You can make new playlists from existing Pmusic or Simple GTK radio playlists using the MintPup-jwm_icewm default provided utility: JWM menu -> Multimedia -> DoMyFile utility.

Anyway, this post just provides a simple illustration of how easy it is to adapt this wee Linux Mint/DebianDog-based distribution to any flavour you want using the power of full dpkg/apt package management capability! :-) After that, you can remaster, if you wish
saintless wrote: Remastering GUI scripts work (but I prefer to use remaster-mint-cli because it is well tested in MintPup).
though I prefer to just stick with my Porteus boot method changes directory.

EDIT5: @Pelo: If you want to install default downloadable version of Chromium webbrowser, which cannot (without commandline options) be run as user root, you could install and use Chromium browser as a normal user (for example, via the provided login user 'puppy') by doing the following:

First start up the login display manager xdm using commandline:

xdm-start
Then login as user puppy (password puppy I think) and then install Chromium with Synaptic package manager or alternatively, I prefer to use apt at commandline like this:

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser 
Notes:

sudo is required to get necessary root install privileges here because with this method, you will have logged-in as normal user puppy rather than as root user.

Personally, I haven't actually tried installing Chromium but believe above should work.

Prior to its installation, I found the Mint/Ubuntu repository's correct package name for the Chromium webbrowser, 'chromium-browser', by doing a search using commandline:

apt-cache search chromium
EDIT6: In order to get full pavrecord and ffconvert functionality, you can also create an avconv squashfs file using the MintPup provided utility JWM menu -> Utility -> FFmpeg2sfs (note this provides avconv encoder/decoder from Mint/Ubuntu repositories rather than ffmpeg, but pavrecord and ffconvert work with that too). The sfs file is then automatically created in your /mnt/home directory and can be loaded using xfe filemanager with right-click on /mnt/home/libav-tools.sfs choosing option Scripts -> SFS-load (alternatively, from ROX file manager you can use right-click option 'sfs-activate'). Haven't yet tested it extensively, but pavrecord certainly now starts up okay without ffmpeg warning message and successfully recorded a short video without changing any of the pavrecord defaults.

William
Last edited by mcewanw on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 04:29, edited 8 times in total.
github mcewanw

wanderer

#137 Post by wanderer »

saintless

am posting this using firefox using wireless

from your new iso

absolutley fantastic work

thanks so much for including futwerks art

everything looks and works great

thanks again

wanderer

mcewanw

save on EXIT to casper folder omitted in mintpup-install

#138 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Toni,

Following my major tests in my posts above, I have discovered an omission, in mintpup-install. The menu.lst entry for Porteus boot with save changes to folder, for example, on EXIT, which is to be stored in the casper folder (which is on the partition booted from) has been omitted from mintpup-install menu.lst creation.

It should be entered as:

title Mint - Porteus save on EXIT in directory /casper/changes/ 
 uuid '"$UUID"'
The above works fine for me on ext2 and ext4 partitions at least.

EDIT: Well, it is working with newest MintPup when booting from my harddrive using root=/dev/sda4. But for some reason my usb flash stick installation isn't finding the /casper/changes folder... (it did in previous MintPup base iso, which I tested on SD card anyway). It may simply be something wrong with my flash stick so hopefully Fred can confirm if above ok.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#139 Post by saintless »

Hi all.
Thanks for the examples and the good testing William!
slavvo67 wrote:One question: I didn't see a Firewall program included. Is there one? How do I know?
No, firewall is not included because Ubuntu has many. Use one of your choice after googling about simple firewall for Ubuntu.
Also available the default firewall from Puppy:

apt-get update
apt-get install firewall-puppy
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 580#777580
mcewanw wrote:Following my major tests in my posts above, I have discovered an omission, in mintpup-install. The menu.lst entry for Porteus boot with save changes to folder, for example, on EXIT, which is to be stored in the casper folder (which is on the partition booted from) has been omitted from mintpup-install menu.lst creation.

It should be entered as:

title Mint - Porteus save on EXIT in directory /casper/changes/ 
 uuid '"$UUID"'
The above works fine for me on ext2 and ext4 partitions at least.

EDIT: Well, it is working with newest MintPup when booting from my harddrive using root=/dev/sda4. But for some reason my usb flash stick installation isn't finding the /casper/changes folder... (it did in previous MintPup base iso, which I tested on SD card anyway). It may simply be something wrong with my flash stick so hopefully Fred can confirm if above ok.
The above code works for me with frugal install on flash drive saving changes in /casper/changes folder on EXIT.

We can repace the installers with better version by creating deb package and uploading in the repo. But lets test all for a while first. Especially the Ubuntu repository compatibility after installing many packages.

I prefer not to open new thread for now. It is easier for me to read one MintPup thread instead two. If we update the iso later I can start new thread similar to DD with the improved iso.

Edit: Maybe for now Wanderer will edit the first post adding the links:

MintPup-base iso (not maintained - for developers only):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 903#854903

MintPup-Jwm-IceWM iso (more user friendly and maintained version):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 889#857889

Toni

wanderer

#140 Post by wanderer »

saintless

i would like to ask a great favor
i feel you should start a new thread for mintpup
and let this thread lapse
i will change the first and last post to refer them to the new thread
that way you will only have one thread to follow for mintpup
and you will be able to control it as you need to
involving me is unneccessary and will only confuse the issue

what you have created with debiandog and mintpup
is a great accomplishment
and finally makes these distros accessable and modifiyable to everyone
i would prefer to use your creations and follow your progress
rather than be a bottleneck

thanks for considering my request
and thanks for all your work

wanderer

saintless

#141 Post by saintless »

wanderer wrote:thanks for considering my request
Ok, but I think opening this thread you gave starting point for MintPup. I didn't have any plans even to download LinuxMint or play with Ubuntu in the future. I will need few days or maybe a week to prepare some documentation for new MintPup thread. Till then lets use this thread for reports and fixes.

Toni

wanderer

#142 Post by wanderer »

thanks saintless

by the way i'm using your latest iso now
works great on my new laptop
it is awesome

wanderer

mcewanw

#143 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote: Thanks for the examples and the good testing William!
It was just my way of keeping personal online notes of what I've tested/tried (and to make it easier for me to repeat the steps should I reinstall elsewhere), Toni. Of course, I also posted the details with hope that such docs might help others, particularly anyone trying Debian/Mint distribution for the first time and who would appreciate a few albeit somewhat technical hints. Might save at least some time and googling around...

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#144 Post by saintless »

First bug found. Frugall installer doesn't add UUID line for casper-boot and casper-boot menu for grub4dos doesn't work.
Default porteus-boot is OK. I will make deb package later and upload it for installing with apt-get. I will add also more menu entries.

William, if you have any mods, improvements, special menu entries for the frugal installer we can include them.

I still can't understand the way copy to ram (toram) option works with casper-boot. It is different from Debian. For me adding toram in frugal install on HDD partition does nothing but works from CD. Also toram=01-filesystem.squashfs doesn't work.
I will test it better but maybe it is best to keep copy to RAM menu only in the default porteus-boot.
Casper and busybox-initramfs upstart boot seems much different from live-boot in Debian.

Also upstart seems able to use (or combine) systemd services (by installing systemd-services) but official systemd package is not available for Ubuntu 14.04. Installing the version from utopic breaks compatibility with some packages from trusty.
Anyway I made experimental 09-systemd-testing.squashfs module and it works with porteus-boot after adding init=/lib/systemd/systemd boot parameter (I had to change it to be the same as in official casper-boot).
If you need to test how some package works with systemd it is available for download here:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/Mi ... s/Testing/
Just remember to use it with no-persistent or backup your save file/folder first. It is only for comparing and testing upstart and systemd. We have this option in DebianDog with sysvinit and systemd and I like to have it in MintPup.

EDIT: OK, toram with casper-boot from hard drive partition frugall install doesn't work because there is not enough free RAM.
toram will copy all files and folders from partition, CD, usb in ram. It is the same with live-boot in Debian but there is also toram=some-name.squashfs to copy only the main squashfs module in RAM. This option is missing in Ubuntu-14/LinuxMint-17/MintPup.
Copy to RAM for casper-boot will be available option only booting the iso. No use to add it in mintpup frugal install script.

Toni

saintless

#145 Post by saintless »

Available for download MintPup portable frugall installer (should work from most linux systems):
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/Mi ... ler.tar.gz
Extract the archive and read the text file first.
Recommended to start it from terminal.

Most of the files are from Fred's portable appimage DebianDog installer but it didn't work from official LinuxMint 17.1 without some changes (and I like to have it working from official Linux Mint).

Changes:
- gsu line removed.
- added check for sudo and for sh link to bash and information messages
- added libglade-2.0
- removed xterm lines for syslinux (extlinux)
- using different type of building: http://stephanepeter.com/makeself/

Maybe we can use something from this one to improve DebianDog-Installer appimage but time and testing will tell better.

Toni

saintless

#146 Post by saintless »

And the fix for the included frugal installer (after running apt-get update first):

sudo apt-get install mintpupinstallscripts

sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for puppy: 

sudo apt-get install mintpupinstallscripts
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  mintpupmountscripts
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  mintpupinstallscripts mintpupmountscripts
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/431 kB of archives.
After this operation, 958 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
The only change in the scripts inside both packages is in /opt/bin/mintpup-install.
As in DebianDog the packages can be updated with higher version number if new fix is added in the future and will be auto-installed after running:

sudo apt-get upgrade
Or this command will install only new version of both packages (if we make new versions for both packages in the future):

sudo apt-get install mintpupinstallscripts mintpupmountscripts
Toni

fredx181

#147 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:MintPup-Jwm-IceWM iso (more user friendly and maintained version):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 889#857889
Great Job, Toni!
I just quick tested, everything seems to work nicely (except for the bug you mentioned for mint-pup-install).
I could easily make a wireless connection with Frisbee, so that works well also.

About what you did for the mintpup-install script:
I didn't know such option exists, it seems to me that the binary is included in the bash script somehow :shock: .
Can you tell me a little more how you did it?

Fred

saintless

#148 Post by saintless »

Thanks Fred, I like the result also. Seems stable so far and I found some potential problems for DebainDog. Like adding libs in special packages in /opt/lib and /usr/local/lib
In some cases this could break the system having two different versions of the same libs. I broke official Netsurf package because adding extra libs for transmission.
In MintPup I keep /opt/lib empty using export command for gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 and transmission start scripts. This will result in duplicated unofficial libs for some programs but it is safer for the system.
fredx181 wrote:About what you did for the mintpup-install script:
I didn't know such option exists, it seems to me that the binary is included in the bash script somehow :shock: .
Can you tell me a little more how you did it?
It is gzip archive which auto-starts script after extracting the archive with single click.
Download makeself and make it executable:
http://cdn.megastep.org/makeself/makeself-2.2.0.run
Click on it and it will extract the content in subfolder in the same location.
I made sfs file + readme command line examples inside:
Also this archive includes all data for minpup-installer (inside portable-mintpup-installer folder) + makeself files inside:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/Mi ... les.tar.gz
I use this command:

cd /live/image
makeself.sh --nomd5 --nocrc /path-to/portable-mintpup-installer mintpup-installer "MintPup frugal installer" ./start-installer
Generated /live/image/mintpup-installer is gzip compresed self extracting archive and click on it will extract the content in /tmp and auto-start ./start-installer script.
there are many other extra parameters available on the site. For example for big folders you can use --notemp parameter to extract the content in the location where the script is (instead in /tmp) and --xz for xz compression.
It seems easy to use and great tool for small portable applications.

Toni

fredx181

#149 Post by fredx181 »

I made sfs file + readme command line examples inside:
Also this archive includes all data for minpup-installer (inside portable-mintpup-installer folder) + makeself files inside:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/Mi ... les.tar.gz
Thanks for the info Toni, nice discovery, could be very useful indeed.

Fred

saintless

#150 Post by saintless »

wanderer wrote: i feel you should start a new thread for mintpup
New thread for MintPup:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100441

Toni

mcewanw

#151 Post by mcewanw »

Well done Toni, nicely documented.

Here, as my small contribution, is the link to my previous test report of this MintPup from the other thread, which may be useful to any Puppy user trying Mint-based distribution with apt package manager for the first time. Shows how to install firefox and so on:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 919#857919

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#152 Post by saintless »

Thanks William, the link added in the first post.

Edit: Maybe it will be better to move the discussion in the new thread from now.

Edit2: Thread title changed to MintPup (Trusty LTS) to avoid confusion reading two threads with the same name.

Toni

mcewanw

#153 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Thanks William, the link added in the first post.

Edit: Maybe it will be better to move the discussion in the new thread from now.

Edit2: Thread title changed to MintPup (Trusty LTS) to avoid confusion reading two threads with the same name.

Toni
Oops, sorry Toni, yes, I got mixed up which thread I was in - I meant it for the new one... ;-)
github mcewanw

wanderer

#154 Post by wanderer »

Please do not post on this thread

This thread is closed but can be used for reference

All those interested in MintPup
should go to saintless' thread

MintPup (Trusty LTS)

thanks

wanderer

greengeek

#155 Post by greengeek »

wanderer wrote:Please do not post on this thread

This thread is closed but can be used for reference

All those interested in MintPup
should go to saintless' thread

MintPup (Trusty LTS)

thanks

wanderer
Hi Wanderer, could you possibly add the link to saintless' thread to your first post on this thread?

As far as i can tell you are referring people to this thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 430#858430

I just think it would be nice to have that link up front.

cheers!