Mintpup (THREAD CLOSED)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wanderer

#16 Post by wanderer »

darry1966

thanks for the words of encouragement

saintless

thanks for all the help (as well as debiandog)

wanderer

mcewanw

#17 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi, wanderer.
Maybe this will help you a little. Write if you need help with something.

Toni
Ah, good, I'm glad you also looked into this Toni. I had downloaded Linux Mint xfce version a few weeks back, with similar interest in mind, and liked it but really hoping it could be minimized like DebianDog. Then I noticed wanderer's thread and your input - nice to be able to create a Puppylike Mint/Ubuntu as well as DebianDog. Being able to add the slim DebianDog utilities into PuppyMint would be particularly great - sfs load capability, pet2deb, and PuppyMint-install (to usb stick/sd, hd partition - with gtkdialog etc to allow easy import of Puppy utilities and Yad for the many Fred has produced for DebianDog). Though, for me this will all be more of a MintDog than a PuppyMint - but I don't care much what it is called - just happy for another potential new Puppylike distribution with full apt-get (this time Mint/Ubuntu compatible) package management and the power and flexibility we already know that brings...

DebianDog has been and is an inspiring small distribution, and this could be an equally inspiring one I feel.

Good idea wanderer - there are many Linux Mint fans out there who will be delighted by a Puppified version. I will be watching developments of this with great interest and I have to say, Fred, I'd love to see a Porteus-type boot option with save to changes folder on EXIT.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#18 Post by saintless »

Hi, William :)
I don't think porteus-boot will be easy to adapt. I'm not sure if it is because of the upstart or something in the kernel but it gives many errors and the boot fails (after adding all needed files in separate squashfs module).
What is easy to be done from quick testing is using initrd.gz + kernel from Puppy with working save file or save directory. But this means to keep two kernels included in the iso.
Wanderer is the one to decide how to build Mintpup and I think we should wait for more information and testing iso first.

Edit: Uploaded kernel-3.14.20-nopae-tharpup-experimental.tar.gz (readme.txt included inside) for testing Linux Mint boot with Puppy kernel.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

#19 Post by wanderer »

see above
Last edited by wanderer on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 16:43, edited 2 times in total.

saintless

#20 Post by saintless »

Hi, wanderer.
Keep the name Mintpup. It is more suitable since you like to include Puppy kernel and busybox boot option.
As to adding puppy pets the pets2deb route seems the most straightforward.
It is better to add this option with warning such converted pet package could break apt-get (dpkg). It takes time and some work to make or convert safe to install deb package. We already had this problem.
I have also noticed that the cow system is like unionfs if you put another sfs file in the same folder it will be mounted and merged when mint boots off of the live usb.
Same goes for loading extra modules. If you don't rename /var/lib/dpkg files before making extra squashfs module you can easy break apt-get. Read here about universal and system related module in Debian/Ubuntu based system.
A big question for me is how to access the boot chain in mint (init rcsysinit xinitrc etc) and for example start another window manager so far I haven't found any answers online.
My advice is do not change the official Mint boot scripts. It could lead to many problems in the future.
Changing the WM is easy. This will create ~/.xsession file to start jwm for example:

Code: Select all

echo "exec jwm" > $HOME/.xsession
Edit: BTW after upgrading xserver-xorg starting X crashes on some old machines. The problem is in the newer version xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.99.910-0ubuntu1.6_i386.deb. Downgrading with the included in Linux Mint 17.1 iso xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.99.910-0ubuntu1.1_i386.deb fixes the problem.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 18:50, edited 2 times in total.

wanderer

#21 Post by wanderer »

saintless

thanks again

wanderer

saintless

#22 Post by saintless »

Hi, wanderer.
Reading your update here:
wanderer wrote:I also have made a puppy which I call vxpup where the entire filesystem is in the save file and the sfs is mounted but empty. This allows easy modifications without bothering to compress and uncompress and I will see if I can do that with mintpup.
Very possible it will work with Mint because it works with Debian and I used the same method starting the base for DD.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 783#741783
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 639#771639
It is very similar to full install but with all advantages from frugal.
But this is the hard way and any mistake you make is hard to fix. For example I broke the multiuser function and sudo working this way and it took much work to fix them later.
The easier and safer way is using main squashfs + empty save file and remastering. Any mistake you make is easy to recover or start again with new empty save file.
But do it as you feel is best. I'm just trying to save you some troubles I had in the past.

Toni

wanderer

#23 Post by wanderer »

saintless

excellent idea

once again thanks for all the help

wanderer

saintless

#24 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:...Fred, I'd love to see a Porteus-type boot option with save to changes folder on EXIT.
I have some progress with porteus-boot. Booting with the official Mint kernel and saving in directory works but encrypted save is broken for the moment. I'm not sure yet about saving changes on exit. I need to add some more dependencies to test it. If I can make it work well I will post initrd for testing.

Edit: just information for anyone interested from encrypted save file. The official Linux Mint initrd.lz also doesn't work with encrypted save. The patch from here should fix it but it needs more to work. Rebuilding initrd.lz this way first. If using the example base squashfs without Xorg you will need to install first some WM and file manager like:

apt-get install xinit xserver-xorg jwm menu xfe
Then install:

apt-get install aufs casper cryptsetup
And after that:

cp /path-to/casper/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-37-generic #copy vmlinuz in /boot
cat /usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf-hooks.d/cryptsetup #maybe works without this line but use it just in case
export CRYPTSETUP=y
CRYPTSETUP=Y mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.lz-new 3.13.0-37-generic
Then extract /boot/initrd.lz-new and rebuild it after using the patch from the link above.
Porteus-boot encrypted save also will work after using /lib/modules from rebuilded initrd.lz-new. Save on Exit works from shutdown menu but not from terminal and console yet.

Toni

wanderer

#25 Post by wanderer »

see above
Last edited by wanderer on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#26 Post by saintless »

Hi, wanderer.
wanderer wrote:I am trying to get mint to boot with the initrd on a usb and the save file and sfs file on a hard drive in the puppy manner because this is the way I want to do my version.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but having only initrd.gz and vmlinuz on flashdrive and loading main Puppy sfs module from hard drive is not what Puppy usually does. Puppy linux installer will add on the usb also main sfs file with initrd.gz and vmlinuz and will boot the main sfs from the usb.
With puppy the initrd boots, init then searches for files on the drives, mounts them...
Same with Debian and Ubuntu (or Mint). Just the search is limited to name /live or /casper and save file named live-rw, persistence or casper-rw (usually located on different partition because the boot partition is mounted in read-only mode).
If I remove the sfs and save files from the usb the unmodified mint initrd drops to a busybox shell but does not search for drives or files and try to mount them. I am going to add a script and some binaries to the usb to look for the drives and files and mount them. Do you have any words of wisdom on this? Is this the best way?
I don't think it will be easy to combine official Mint boot process with extra scripts for searching files and directories. Even if you can do it it could create many problems after boot.
What you are looking for is already there with official unmodified initrd.lz from Linux Mint. For example:

1. Use some bootable usb (sdb1) with Puppy or different linux and grub4dos. Create there directory /casper and copy inside only initrd.lz and vmlinuz from Linux Mint iso. Add menu entry in menu.lst on the usb for Mint (change the UUID part with the correct uuid number):

title Linux Mint Persistent
 uuid 11463fbb-48cd-47c6-a398-07c73e8a2e2b
 kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ignore_uuid persistent cdrom-detect/try-usb=true
 initrd=/casper/initrd.lz
2. Create same named directory /casper on some HDD partition (sda1) and copy inside only filesystem.squashfs from Linux Mint iso.

3. Create on second HDD partition (sda2) save file with name casper-rw.

Then boot from the usb with Linux Mint Persistent menu entry.

The system will use only initrd.lz and vmlinuz from the usb, searching inside any directory with name casper for module with .squashfs extension, and searching on any partition (except the boot one mounted read-only) for save file with name casper-rw.
Or it will use initrd.lz and vmlinuz from sdb1, loading main squashfs module from sda1 and casper-rw save file from sda2.

Toni

wanderer

#27 Post by wanderer »

saintless

great

thanks again for all your hard work and patience

wanderer

wanderer

#28 Post by wanderer »

see above
Last edited by wanderer on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#29 Post by saintless »

Hi, wanderer.

As I wrote I have some progress with porteus-boot and for the tests I had to install xserver-xorg, jwm, rox, gtkdialog, yad and some programs from DD. As a result I have working sfs load/unload, sfs mount/unmount, edit-sfs, freememapplet-tray and similar look to DD-Jwm version (screenshot attached).
Smaller initrd.lz for official mint (ubuntu) boot working with encrypted casper-rw save file.
And initrd for porteus-boot working with the official mint kernel and with encrypted save file, saving changes in file, directory and option for saving changes on EXIT only.
Autologin and autostartx as root and optional user account puppy (as in DD).
Most programs from DD could be converted to work with this base. Changing /live to /casper will be needed for some to work properly. I changed the initrd from Fred for porteus boot to use /casper as directory name and also in sfs load scripts.
Nothing left from special Linux Mint utilities inside but if you like to use it as a base I can shape it a little and build iso version booting with both (mint boot and porteus boot).
You will have a lot of work to shape and configure this base better. I have some troubles to download the wallpapers from mediafire on my lowram machine and I use different wallpapers for each desktop, but you can change them easy later.

Toni
Attachments
mintpup-base.jpg
(53.56 KiB) Downloaded 657 times

mcewanw

#30 Post by mcewanw »

Where is this newer version with porteus boot Toni, or is it still that previous link you gave on this thread to Linux Mint stuff at KazzasCorner?

Hoping it was a pae smp build since my old machine is retired as intermittently faulty... and newer machines, albeit still old are all dual core pae capable.

I'm certainly planning to try this MintPup, but was just waiting till its development had moved on a bit.

William
github mcewanw

wanderer

#31 Post by wanderer »

saintless

do you have a download link for your new base

looks fantastic

thanks

wanderer

saintless

#32 Post by saintless »

Edit 17.07.2015: The iso image replaced with new initrd1.xz and scripts fixes for porteus-boot to keep the same system structure as Debiandog.

Just to make clear for everyone I'm not going to improve or update this MintPup-Porteus-base-01-hybrid.iso. It is just a base for anyone inetrested to use it for building something better.

My maintained build based on the same iso can be downloaded here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 889#857889

Hi, Wanderer, William.

Edit: To make the testing easier all files replaced with hybrid iso version:
MintPup-Porteus-base-01-hybrid.iso
You can make bootable usb using the example from here.
md5sum.txt
Example boot codes for frugal install

initrd.lz is for mint (casper) boot.
initrd1.xz is for porteus-boot.

What is not included in the menu is available in /opt/bin and /usr/local/bin
Some commands available only from terminal:

remaster-mint-cli #will use different location for work-dir depending on the boot method.
mk-save #make save file (not encrypted).
makepfile.sh #make save file (encrypted or not).
mnt-img <path-to-sfs> #will mount/unmount squashfs/sfs/2fs/3fs/4fs file.
loadsfs <path-to-sfs> #will load/unload squashfs/sfs (there is drag and drop icon on the desktop also).
addnewuser #create new user accounts
audio-setup #run it in case you don't have sound
On first boot you will autologin as root to desktop. For user account exit X and type login and press enter. Login as puppy with password puppy (or root with password root).

The package locales is included and all /usr/share/locale files are included in the main module. /usr/share/man, doc and info files are zerosized.
Alsa-base, alsa-utils, mtpaint, xarchiver, gpicview included.
-/Startup directory added - executable script or link inside will be auto-started as in Puppy and DD.
Some wallpapers for each desktop added in /opt/wallpapers. You can change them by editing the virtual desktops section in -/.jwmrc file.

Still no easy way to configure wireless. I had some troubles to make frisbee work but I will try again. Installing wicd with apt-get is easy but it has many dependencies.
I think save on Exit typing reboot from console and from terminal does not work yet and with sure many other problems will be found later. Rox needs much work to be configured properly. I don't know if systemd works with porteus-boot. Seems the systemd package and setup is different from Debian.
Still can't find a way to mount or make visible /cow (copy on write) - this means no option to create module from changes with official mint boot yet.
Ubuntu is different from Debian and more difficult to be shaped (or atleast I feel it this way).

The kernel is the same SMP 3.13.0-37-generic as in Linux Mint 17.1.

Test, improve and share what works and what not. I will check out the thread if I can help you to configure this base better.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 19:02, edited 6 times in total.

darry1966

#33 Post by darry1966 »

Why not use Ceni instead - very simple nice pearl script for managing networking much better than Frisbee.

saintless

#34 Post by saintless »

Hi, darry1966.

We have deb package for DD:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/De ... 31_all.deb
If someone can test if wireless works using ceni with this MintPup base it could be included. I don't have wireless and can't test it. For frisbee we have many reports it works well with wireless in DD.
Still I think wanderer is the one to decide what to include. The base module at the moment has nothing to do with LinuxMint look. It is more like very small Ubuntu with Jwm and Rox.

Edit: The problem with ceni at this point is it adds 29Mb perl dependencies:

mint ~ # dpkg -i /mnt/sda1/FTP-LAST/DebianDog/Packages/Extra/ceni*
Selecting previously unselected package ceni.
(Reading database ... 31445 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../Extra/ceni_2.31_all.deb ...
Unpacking ceni (2.31) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ceni:
 ceni depends on perl; however:
  Package perl is not installed.
 ceni depends on libcurses-ui-perl; however:
  Package libcurses-ui-perl is not installed.
 ceni depends on libexpect-perl; however:
  Package libexpect-perl is not installed.
 ceni depends on libterm-readkey-perl; however:
  Package libterm-readkey-perl is not installed.
 ceni depends on resolvconf; however:
  Package resolvconf is not installed.
 ceni depends on dhcpcd | dhcpcd5; however:
  Package dhcpcd is not installed.
  Package dhcpcd5 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package ceni (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.46ubuntu1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 ceni
mint ~ # apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  dhcpcd libcurses-perl libcurses-ui-perl libexpect-perl libgdbm3
  libio-pty-perl libio-stty-perl libterm-readkey-perl perl perl-modules
  resolvconf
Suggested packages:
  perl-doc libterm-readline-gnu-perl libterm-readline-perl-perl libb-lint-perl
  libcpanplus-dist-build-perl libcpanplus-perl libfile-checktree-perl
  liblog-message-simple-perl liblog-message-perl libobject-accessor-perl
Recommended packages:
  libarchive-extract-perl libmodule-pluggable-perl libpod-latex-perl
  libterm-ui-perl libtext-soundex-perl
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  frisbee
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  dhcpcd libcurses-perl libcurses-ui-perl libexpect-perl libgdbm3
  libio-pty-perl libio-stty-perl libterm-readkey-perl perl perl-modules
  resolvconf
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 1 to remove and 85 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 5,497 kB of archives.
After this operation, 29.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
If perl is not added anyway ceni is much bigger alternative.
Frisbee has all dependencies included already in the main module and adds nothing extra. Works in general for me but I can't see the eth0 in GUI window and I can't find the reason yet. Even so the conection is working on boot for eth0 and restart dhcpcd button works to re-connect without problems.

Toni

saintless

#35 Post by saintless »

To make the testing easier hybrid iso uploaded instead separate files (same files without changes from yesterday but inside iso image). Read the edit here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 903#854903

Toni