Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 03:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Who's Running Puppy Or Other Linux On Chromebook?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Volhout

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 15:20    Post subject: C720
Subject description: Linux

Hi Bigpup,

Thanks for providing the link to the thread. You ask advice, but I am not a very good source for information.
I purchased the C720 after reading on the internet about low cost and decent performance and inf how to modify it to boot any linux from usb.
I modified it ( open it, unscrew the write protect, modified to boot seabios) so I have no knowledge about crx or dual boot.

I started out with Fatdog 631 chrombook edition. Following fatdog procedure how to create a bootable usb. And then simply installed.

After a while I discovered the, now vanished, hugh greenbug website distroshare. Intried several distro's and ended up keeping Elementary os chromebook version.
For me a main driver was that this distro had the key mapping right. All keys on the C720 do what is printed on them.

When Fatdog started with 700 series, I asked Kirk if he coul provide a patch, and thus he did. But my skills where insufficient to make it a success.

I did replace the old ssd 16gb with a 32gb one. First I tried a Transcend ssd, but that ssd did not work correct. Apparently it does not have a C720 compatible low power mode. Then I ordered one that was compatible. For my use, 32gb was sufficient, 16 just not enough ( ubuntu (elementary os ) with its updates grows over time beyond 10 gb )

I copied the original ssd to a 16gb usb stick using dd while running fatdog631 live mode on the other usb port. The replace the ssd, and copy back same method.
Then gparted to make full sdd usable ( otherwise you only have 16gb on a 32gb ssd)

That all science from my chromebook expedition.
Page 2 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: