installing Libreoffice in Slacko 6.3.0 32

Booting, installing, newbie
EdD

installing Libreoffice in Slacko 6.3.0 32

#1 Post by EdD »

I downloaded Libreoffice last night, and had to just let it run in the background because it's a large transfer. Now, I don't know where it is, it doesn't appear to be in downloads, and I don't know if it's in the form of a pet or what.

My o/s is a full install of slacko 6.3.0 32 bit version. I'm using Firefox and thunderbird. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

If I do that I go to download again and look to see where it is pointing without actually starting it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Install this and use it to get LibreOffice
Should put a entry in menu>Document to run it.
This finds, downloads, a LibreOffice package that works in Puppy..

Get LibreOffice
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &id=116618

This will make a SFS package of LibreOffice for loading to a frugal install of Puppy.
However, if you left click on the SFS package it is suppose to install to a Full install Puppy like a pet package does.

If you actually manually get a LibreOffice package from their web site. deb packages usually work in Puppy.
Click on them like you do for a pet package to install.
They may or may not make menu entries.
Attachments
capture27465.png
(17.88 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

olddog

#4 Post by olddog »

Unfortunately this links to a very old version of Libreoffice.

The Puppy Package Manager has a more recent version, but even that has been superseded. The latest stable version is 6.0.7. I have tried to install it to replace 5.4, but although it opens it doesn't find the graphics (icons etc).

A how-to on installing the latest version would I am sure be of interest to many people.
bigpup wrote:Install this and use it to get LibreOffice

Get LibreOffice

etc...
Linux novice with too many Thinkpads, mainly running Xenialpup
HP Laserjet Pro 1102W

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Try one of the SFS builds from here.

Your latest pkg, 6.1.3 >> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 91#1010191
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

olddog

#6 Post by olddog »

Good grief, I had no idea it would be that easy.

Many thanks. I am now the proud owner of the latest cutting edge Libreoffice. Now to change it from US English to real English.

Semme wrote:Try one of the SFS builds from here.

Your latest pkg, 6.1.3 >> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 91#1010191
Linux novice with too many Thinkpads, mainly running Xenialpup
HP Laserjet Pro 1102W

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

:wink: It's the Pup community that makes life easy.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

olddog wrote:Unfortunately this links to a very old version of Libreoffice.

The Puppy Package Manager has a more recent version, but even that has been superseded. The latest stable version is 6.0.7. I have tried to install it to replace 5.4, but although it opens it doesn't find the graphics (icons etc).

A how-to on installing the latest version would I am sure be of interest to many people.
bigpup wrote:Install this and use it to get LibreOffice

Get LibreOffice

etc...

Could you give more details on why Get LibreOffice did not work for you?
Did you see any errors when using it?
You did understand that Get LibreOffice is a program you run to download and install LibreOffice?

I just used Get LibreOffice V0.43
It offered the stable versions of LibreOffice up to 6.1.3 and the unstable testing versions up to 6.2

It downloaded and made a working sfs package of LibreOffice 6.1.3. All features and icons work.
SFS package loaded in a frugal installed Puppy

Trying to install a sfs package into a full install of Puppy could be an issue. I understand you are using a full install.

Any help you can provide to maybe uncover a bug in Get LibreOffice will help!

Here is what it shows for the stable versions to download.
Attachments
capture11869.png
List of stable versions
(8.81 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

EdD

#9 Post by EdD »

Yes, the 6.1.3 is the version I downloaded. Installing the SFS onto a full install is the problem. I might just reinstall Slacko as a frugal. Thanks, everybody.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

mikeslr

As You're Already Thinking of Substituting Frugal for Full

#10 Post by mikeslr »

EdD wrote:I might just reinstall Slacko as a frugal. Thanks, everybody.
Highly recommended. Frugal simply means that it "frugally" uses your hard-drive: not requiring an entire partition to itself. It is otherwise the same OS as "Full", except that Frugal provides more flexibility, is more secure, can be backed-up, thus easily recovered and provides several other options not available with Full.

Frugal was the original design. Full was developed at a time when having more than 256 Mbs of RAM was an expensive luxury. Under that circumstance a Full install enabled quicker bootup and application opening. With more than 256 Mbs of RAM and today's more powerful CPUs, the difference is measured in micro-seconds.

Full is only recommended for computers with less than 256 Mbs of RAM or when compiling applications. Unfortunately, there are hundreds of Puppy ISOs and scores of Puppy reviews which don't come with that warning.

EdD

#11 Post by EdD »

Good to know. I started using Puppy when my computers had typically about 512 megs of RAM. Full install is what I have always done. I never knew the advantages of a frugal install because I have never used on except on old laptops with WinXP. Thanks.

mikeslr

Switching from Full to Frugal

#12 Post by mikeslr »

Hi EdD,

When you're ready to switch from Full to Frugal, take a look at the bottom third of this post, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 683#980683 and the one it links to. Both provide instructions to end up with a Frugal install. But, note the following:

frenchy wanted an encrypted SaveFile. Only Linux Ext2 supports that. I generally recommend Ext3 and some Puppy fans recommend Ext4.

With a Frugal install on a Linux formatted drive/partition you'll have a choice between created a SaveFile (compressed, fixed-size but resize-able) or a SaveFolder (uncompressed and automatically grows as needed). The application running to create it will recommend a SaveFolder. But, I prefer SaveFiles. If you have any questions, search or ask.

The files to copy from the mounted Slacko ISO are exactly the same as those mentioned in the posts, except two will have slacko in its name rather than tahr.

The SaveFile or SaveFolder you create on first shutdown will be automatically placed in the folder you created --unless you select a different partition for it. [Don't, unless you have a good reason]. After you boot into your Frugal Slacko with a SaveFile and are satisfied that it is working properly, you can safely delete everything on that partition not in that folder and before shutdown run grub4dos to create a new menu.lst unless your frugal Puppy's folder is on the same partition as your bootloader. If it is on the same partition, and you have any uncertainty as to what files not to delete --needed by your bootloader-- it's best take a screenshot of the partition and ask.

EdD

#13 Post by EdD »

Good deal, Mike. I'll save that post for reference. thanks.

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

EdD wrote:Yes, the 6.1.3 is the version I downloaded. Installing the SFS onto a full install is the problem. I might just reinstall Slacko as a frugal. Thanks, everybody.
Thanks for the info!

I kind of figured that was the problem.
SFS packages are suppose to install into a full installed Puppy, just like a pet package, but do seem to not do it very well.
This could be something missing in the sfs package, but not sure what.
The sfs package of LibreOffice works OK used as a loaded sfs in a frugal installed Puppy.

Yes!
Use Puppy as a frugal install and you will never look back!
Best if you can install to a ext 3 or 4 formatted partition.
That way the save can be a save folder.
Last edited by bigpup on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

EdD

#15 Post by EdD »

Thanks, bigpup.

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Daft as it sounds, I find the 3-series LO's to run smoother & lighter on most of my 32-bitzers. Luckily, I have no need for M$ 'compatibility'..!

(For the rare occasions when I need that level of 'compliance', I run SoftMaker's FreeOffice 2016 as a 'portable' from a USB stick...)

Mike. :wink:

rufwoof

#17 Post by rufwoof »

As a alternative to a full blown office suite such as LibreOffice, if your needs are light then some browsers such as sea-monkey come with a html editor; Alternatively a light-weight html/javascript file can serve as a text editor - which nowadays is what I use as I have little to no need for spreadsheets, presentation ...etc.

Bash in the text using a simple text editor initially focusing on the words. I then convert that to html by inserting a few html insert files (header, footer, justified paragraphs); Then adjust that as necessary so it looks good (layout) in a browser (maybe including some images). Before finally printing that 'web page' to file as a PDF ... for distributing/sharing.

This for instance is my header html include file content, that sets the page up with a margin and where the text is justified

Code: Select all

<HTML>
<BODY>
<TABLE><TR><TD WIDTH="5%"></TD><TD><P ALIGN="justify">
I like chromium as my browser as that is run in a restricted environment (secure), so using it as a text editor/word processor, mp4 player, PDF viewer/creator, calculator ...etc. also has those included under the same security umbrella. Fundamentally I just use chromium in X now, and use the console for pretty much everything else (running tmux so it has multiple windows, with tabs along the top ... similar to chrome, mc file manager and mc -e text editor). So chromium is pretty much my X desktop and I ctrl-alt-F4 to a console (tmux/mc) session and ctrl-alt-F5 back to X/chrome again as desired. Very minimalist (and very quick), whilst being as functional as many of the much more heavily bloated alternatives.

When your 'word processor' is fundamentally text based, then you can enter that using even very light weight devices. I can ssh connect from a mobile phone for instance to add to existing text and where that new text might have been captured using mobile phone voice to text type tools/methods.
Attachments
s.jpg
(49.73 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

mikeslr

#18 Post by mikeslr »

@ Mike Walsh. Not really daft. Or we both are, which is likely. But I had made the mistake of deleting my 3-series SFS and couldn't find another. So I switched to Apache OpenOffice. I've since switched back to LibreOffice 6 which seems to be snappier than 5.

@ EdD: Thought you should know that I used to be able to run LibreOffice as an External (Program Folder). It should work with a Full Install. Just download one of the files directly from the LibreOffice site and unpack it on the same partition/drive where your Slacko is located, NOT within any other folder. The basic steps are spelled out here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 532#507532. Short version:

1. Create a bash script for each of LibreOffice's applications somewhere 'on the path': /usr/bin will do. It's a one liner which, using LibreWriter as an example, would look something like:

#!/bin/sh
exec /mnt/home/libreoffice6.1/program/swriter "$@". [I don't run Full Installs. But wonder if it may be necessary to change "home" to specify whatever drive/partition your Full-Installed Slacko sees itself being located on.

Make sure their permissions are set to executable.

2. Place appropriate icons somewhere such as usr/share/icons or /usr/share/pixmaps.

3. At /usr/share/applications create desktop files for each application. You can use Abiword's and gnumeric's desktop files as templates. Just rename each desktop file appropriately. Then open each in geany/txt-editor and change three arguments:

Name=LibreOffice Writer (or Spreadsheet or Draw, etc)
Icon=FULL_PATH_TO_ICON/name_of_icon.ending (e.g. jpg, png, svg)
Exe=FULL_PATH_TO_YOUR_SCRIPT/name_of_script.

That should work until you have the opportunity to switch to Frugal. But, no guarantees. I don't know how much LibreOffice has been managed since the 3-series when I last did this.

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

Still some 3-series L.Office packages here, if you're interested in trying them again:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79039

3.5.3 is the version I'm using. It also comes with a 'print manager'.....which is quite useful. Works fine with all 5-series Pups up as far as Raring; Tahrpup turned its nose up at it, giving errors in the terminal, and wanting at least a 4- or 5-series LO before it was happy.

Mike. :wink: