Boot Puppy from USB Stick run "virtual XP"

Using applications, configuring, problems
stifiling

Boot Puppy from USB Stick run "virtual XP"

#1 Post by stifiling »

Been searching for abt an hr now. Most results returned people wanting to run puppy within XP. I'd like to do it the other way around, run XP within Puppy.

Was able to do it using virtualbox on a laptop harddrive....but with a usb drive, i've been unsuccessful. I think the problem is the fact that there is a symbolic link to /mnt/home pointing to /initrd/dev_save, instead of being a real folder.

bottom line is can this be done. Once again...
Puppy installed on USB drive
Install a virtual XP to run within/on top of puppy

I have a 4 gig usb device.

stifiling

#2 Post by stifiling »

I figured it out.

stefek

how did you do that?

#3 Post by stefek »

hi stifling, that sounds like what i need to connect my zune to my puppy! would you tell me how you did it? i'm a total n00b, but i learn quick. any help would be gr8ly appreciated.

stifiling

#4 Post by stifiling »

I'm not sure if what i jus did, will help you sync your zune with your puppy.

That is what you're trying to do right...."syncing," as to where u can send files from your puppy pc to your zune device. right?

that's not what i was trying to do here.

What i have here is a windows mobile PPC phone with a 4 gig MicroSD card.
When the phone is plugged in via usb...it shows up as a usb mass storage device.
I installed puppy to it.
I installed virtualbox.
I installed Windows XP.

I now have a portable XP that boots from my phone....and runs in the ram of any computer i choose to use it on.

If this is what you're trying to do then yes, i can help walk you through it. but i don't believe this is what u're looking for.

stifiling

#5 Post by stifiling »

I mighta been looking too far into your request...you prolly wanna jus run a virtual XP inside your puppy OS right.....and see if your Zune connects to your Virtual XP....right?

If that's the case, then the easiest way i know to get virtualbox running within puppy is to use...a frugal install of puppy301. Of course you gotta have your own copy of XP.

then u need the kernelsrc_301.sfs, devx_301.sfs...and virtualbox.sfs. drop those 3 files into your /mnt/home directory.

i pretty much followed the directions in these two post.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 19&t=21617
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 19&t=23309

the virtual XP will have support for USB devices....but i'm still not sure if what u're trying to do will work. but won't know for sure till u try right?

picatrix

#6 Post by picatrix »

Puppy is great, but maybe it's easier to use Portable Virtual Box directly on your phone memory card and run Xp from it: http://www.german-nlite.de/index.php?showtopic=14306#

Best Regards
Picatrix

stefek

thanx i'll try that!

#7 Post by stefek »

yes i wanted to "sync" my zune to linux and i totally misunderstood what you had written... but wow if i can get the functions to work like you described, then i got way more useful 411 than i had hoped for!!! :D thanx for your reply, i had no idea you could do that. doh! :shock: now i'm all over this! i have just had a crash on a 3 month old notebook that i bought in Moscow for the express purpose of recording music with my new Russian friends. (including an extremely talented cellist) i thought i lost everything. so if i understand correctly you are running your xp from your phone.. too cool! i just want to do that from a flash drive so i can access the files that are on the acer aspire 5315 hitachi hdd POS that intermittently does even reveal itself as read only in the puppy mnt manager. i'm trying this right now!! thanx again, and i'll post my results.

stefek

just curious

#8 Post by stefek »

couldn't you just install the xp os to an ntfs or fat32 formatted partition? (usb flashdrive)

stifiling

#9 Post by stifiling »

Thanks for the info picatrix...i'm gonna look into that. that'll save me a few more mbs on my flash drive.

but steftek...i'm not sure if u're gonna b able to read that drive with Puppy Linux in the middle.

There's an image file of a XP Live CD, that will boot XP from the CD, and let you access your hard drive. This version of XP was created specifically for situations like yours. google may help you find it. if not i can create an iso of it, and send it to you via XDrive if you want. let me know.

stifiling

Re: just curious

#10 Post by stifiling »

stefek wrote:couldn't you just install the xp os to an ntfs or fat32 formatted partition? (usb flashdrive)
that would be nice wouldn't it. if only it was that easy. the flash drive would first have to be fat16...then after that, it would run extremely slow because all the info would be reading from the flash drive, rather then gettin loaded into the ram.

I tried that route for days but ultimately all i kept getting was that Blue Screen 007xb error, that windows gives off.

This solution here is running pretty smooth. Now that i got it all set up, i wanna look into that portable virtualbox picatrix jus referred.

It always happens like that for me.

stefek

that would be great!

#11 Post by stefek »

dude if your willing to do that, i would be in your debt! i suppose its only a matter of figuring out the steps to put it on my drive. can i do this to a bootable drive that already has puppy on it? BTW i'm running dingo, does that make any difference?

stifiling

#12 Post by stifiling »

I pmmed you the info to the xdrive. the iso file is there.