Muppy 0084 Beta 2 with Compiz + Gnome 2.22.3 + KDE 3.5.9

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jim1911

#21 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

I installed your Muppy 0084 Alpha today and am very impressed with it's potential. I had already gotten WOW's test implementation of gnome-2.2.0 and have been amazed at his work. However, your implemention seems to be even better especially since you have the Desktop Environment Chooser to choose different desktops.

Some thoughts on problems I've encountered on my installation to my hard drive where there are numerous frugal installations on an ex2 partition. 1. Started Muppy-Mini-008.4A using pfix=ram and had problems immediately in trying to copy from the CD to the /muppy0084alpha folder that I had set up on the ex2 partition. For some reason the file manager activated by the device icons at the bottom of the screen was showing that the CD had 3 files that were actually located on a flash drive. None of your files were showing up. Activating the PC file manager from another location and selecting the CD showed your files and I was able to copy them to the 0084 folder. 2. After mounting the CD, it could not be dismounted until a reboot. 3. Upon reboot and creating a save file, there is no opportunity to specify the save location, so file had to be manually placed in correct location after rebooting with another Pup400 CD. 4. When the system comes up, other 2fs files are not recognized and it boots directly into 0084 which provides no opportunity to select other 2fs files or to boot with pfix=ram. 5. Likewise, booting with Pup400 CD doesn't show 0084.2fs. 6. With the sfs file selected, bootup was very long.

Being able to select other Desktop Environments and check them out is a great feature. I continue to be astonished at the hard work that you have put into this project and how you are able to program in so many different features. I hope the Puppy community recognizes the importance of your efforts.

I haven't tried many of the programs, however, I did find that GParted and the Openoffice selections don't work. I mounted OpenOfficeO2.4.1
sfs (haven't tried selecting it with the Bootmanager yet, maybe that's why) no idea on GParted.

I am looking forward to your other distributions. Thank you for all of your hard work.

Jim

papos

#22 Post by papos »

Muppy 0084alpha 05
fine to use aufs this is the big problem of muppy8.2
1-I am a bit desapointed while when I drag a file from rox to pcman: she move the file!
and when I drag a file from pcman to rox: she copy the file
better to have copy by default
2-I don't have a find file in pcman how to add one?
I reboot and save a msy_save-4.sfs
3-I have 2x the icons drives
4-I have to find and run manually bootmanager to add addons and gnome
after that I reboot, I wait more than 5mn to initialize the desktop, the drives icons are now good
5-I have a acer aspire 5100 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 1,7Ghtz, 1GB ram with 256 meg partaged for video with a webcam
gscpa don't works I try to add uvcvideo.ko who work in muppy8.2 ,8.3 ,8.4d
/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/usb/media/uvcvideo.ko
but
# modprobe uvcvideo FATAL: Module uvcvideo not found.?

6-Happy to see Psip , I launch the preconfigured option but I have a cpu overflow like I have with Skype(video) in all version
I find only top! no killer app?
Ctrl alt backspace and xwin launch faster
I reload Psip, same cpu overflow but ctrl alt q kill it.

7- I click on a image.jpg I have mtpaint, but I like gqview with ImagMagick(convert works now).
8- I lauch Firefox but my preference go to icecat2 theGnuFirefox-clone who is more robust, accept all the addons, (especially prefbar4.0.xpi) and protect from zero-size images and links redirecting, I note than icecat3,beta works on this version.
8-Pidgin don't work.
Fine to have a little msy_084.sfs
very promising version.Congratulations!

MU

#23 Post by MU »

Jim1911
> I mounted OpenOfficeO2.4.1
sfs (haven't tried selecting it with the Bootmanager yet, maybe that's why)

That would be required of course.
I did not try it though.
It should work at least with OpenOffice 2.4.0 from Muppy 0083.
I'll add 2.4.1 soon.

> no idea on GParted
Gnome has a new version, that misses a lib.
Run without gnome to use Muppy gparted.
I'll add the lib to the next gnome.

papos
> 1-I am a bit desapointed while when I drag a file from rox to pcman: she move the file!

Yes, have not found out how to change that yet :(

> 3-I have 2x the icons drives

Next version has cleaned up boot-order and other fixes, that should solve it. I encontered this, too.

> 4-I have to find and run manually bootmanager to add addons and gnome

> after that I reboot, I wait more than 5mn to initialize the desktop, the drives icons are now good

Startup time will be improved in the next version.

> 5 # modprobe uvcvideo FATAL: Module uvcvideo not found.?

Ok, I'll add uvcvideo_luvcview.pet
If you install it on your own, you must type once:
depmod -a
This registers the new module.

>6-Psip , I launch the preconfigured option but I have a cpu overflow

Can't reproduce that, works here.

>I find only top! no killer app?
Click on the CPU-graf at bottom right in the taskbar to run gps.
Ot type "xkill" in a consolewindow.
Or run "System - KP".

>7- I click on a image.jpg I have mtpaint, but I like gqview with ImagMagick(convert works now).

Right-click a .jpg in Pcmanfm -> properties.
Here you can select gqview as defaultviewer.

>8- I lauch Firefox but my preference go to icecat2 theGnuFirefox-clone

I will keep Firefox, as it is often requested.
If you install Icecat on your own, you can edit /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to set it as default.

>9.-Pidgin don't work.

It should popen the Login-dialog for Puppy-IRC.
I will add another Menu-entry to run Pidgin default.

------------------------------------
Thanks for the detailed feedback.

I'll upload Alpha 06 tonight, that will include several fixes, also the ones I mentioned in this reply.
I also could increase startup-time with addons, fix the automount issues and several other inconsistencies.

I am so far now, that soon I can start to write the backup-script.
Then next week I will release the first beta-version.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Jim1911

#24 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

Re Muppy-Mini 008.4A, Gnome desktop only

With Openoffice 2.4.1 sfs configured via Boot Manager to load, I've checked out the following menus and found that these applications either did not load or could not launch:
Applications Menu: amaya, aplay, default spreadsheet, dotpuprox.sh, Encryption & key rings, epdview, figurine, filemnt, foldersize, ghostview, gnumeric, MU-rox-traybuttons, scribus, vym, waveplay, wish; Calculate Menu: gnumeric, Xfinans; Desktop settings menu: Awn manager, Compiz Configuration mgr, lxpanel, Mainmenu, New murrine conf, On-screen keyboard (opened but GOK-main would not close), Orka screen reader & magnifier, Xclipboard; Development menu: ilContrast; Document menu: Seamonkey composer html editor, ePdfview, Blender, Evolution mail and calendar, Glom, All Openoffice links: Filesystem: Gnome commander, uExplor

Don't have time to check other menus, however, Epiphany & Evolution links don't work. Many of these, you probably don't want and eventually will remove from menus.

I tried to load your sfs files using fresh copy of Pup400 following your posted instruction for doing so. Please expand on your instructions.

It's amazing what you've already accomplished. Best of luck to you on it's further development.
Jim

Forgot to mention. Reboot only saves file, and leaves me at a prompt where I have to type reboot.

MU

#25 Post by MU »

uploaded alpha 06.
many bugfixes as mentioned in my last message.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

#26 Post by MU »

*I'm so delighted... I'm just so excited* *sing*

... sorry, I did not sleep for 2 days, this happens more and more often...

Full size:
http://noforum.de/pics/Compizmuppy.jpg

Compiz works pretty fast on my Pentium 700/Ati Radeon 9250 (free Xorg-drivers).
Much faster than 2D Windowshadows with xcompmgr.
There are some issues though:
The Panels size-hints are ignored by emerald, so Windows are placed below it.
So you cannot use the iconify/close buttons, unless you move the window with ALT-Mouse.

And XFE is always grayed out... it works, but does not look nice.
I used the Compiz Puppy301 package posted in the forum, I will have a look at the one included in Gnome, too.

As Apha 06 seems to run very stable, I will not quickly release Alpha07 or beta 1.
Maybe next weekend the Beta 1.
So please post any issues you encounter in Alpha 06, it might have been last one.

Mark

MU

#27 Post by MU »

I found out, why the "wmstruts" were not recognized.

Struts are borders.
If you have a panel at top, you set wmstruts of "0,0,20,0".
This means, applications will not cover the top 20 pixel on the screen (because this area is needed by the panel).

To set struts, a window must be active, they are assigned to it.
In detail to the WindowID of the window, a unique identifier from X.

You can determine this ID using tools like xwindowtool, that uses Puppybasics Xlib functions, to list all active IDs with the corresponding windowtitle.

In compiz/emerald, this list is empty!
I never encountered this before.
In other functions, correct values are returned, e.g. if you select a window with the mouse. I must examine this in detail, if my functions have something not in common. But the code is complex, and using a windowlist should be avoided, if possible.

I fortunately found a function in the GDK library (lowlevel window objects used by GTk).
It returns the ID of a window of the current program itself.
I had to add it by hand to the Gtkbasic interpreter, as it was not detected by the automatic wrappers. I uses a different syntax, as many GDK functions do.
Like this I got the valid ID of the panels mainwindow, and now the struts work.

So we have:
- Gtkbasic-Panel as Menu and Quicklauncher/freemem display
- lxpanel as taskbar (without menu)
- Emerald as windowmanager
- Rox-Pinboard for icons.

Like this compiz is very similar to use to Muppys Standarddesktop, that uses Icewm.

We do not need a huger solution with inbuilt compositing manager, like XFCE or even worse, Gnome.

---------------
btw. lxpanel compiled by Pliney for Puppy 4 works great with the new Slackware-libs in 0084.
In muppy 0083, the taskbar crashed.

Mark

MU

#28 Post by MU »

Jim1911

You did not use addons.sfs?
This is required by many Gnome applications, it includes Python and some dependencies.
The apps you mentioned should work then, like Epiphany or Evolution or even Blender.
I will re-check it tomorrow, at moment I run without Gnome, to add compiz.
But at least these 3 big apps worked for me already.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Mark

MU

#29 Post by MU »

Here is a special Alpha07.
It is not indended to run with addons.sfs or Gnome.

I just tested it as "standalone-version" to check out compiz.
It also might be seen as a prototye of "Game-Muppy", as it includes everything for gaming (except games, that you would add as SFS).
It is the Mini + python + compiz + gdesklets + graficscard-drivers (and all Kerneldrivers inbuilt, like in the "Live"-CD).
Compiz is the July-28 version from wow:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22236
The ISO is 210 MB in size, including Abiword 2.6.4/Opera 9.51.

I removed the Nvidia-installer, because it now uses the "Compiz-Fusion Wizard" from wNOP2 (with some patches from me).

If you choose to use compiz, it will directly run the 3D Desktop.
If this fails for you, hit CTRL-ALT-Backspace to exit X, then type "startmuppy".
This will launch Muppys standard-desktop using Icewm.

I encounter some timing-problems in the 3D-desktop, even after I tweaked many scripts (on a P700, with Ati 9250).
So if the panel appears on the wrong position, just restart the desktop.
I just had this once, right after the first run.
The desktop itself is very smooth on my old computer, once it started completely!
You can switch the desktops "on the fly" with the menu: "utilities - Desktop environment".

I am very interested in feedback, especially, if your graficscards are detected correctly.
There are the free Radeon drivers, the fglrx 7.11, Nvidia 96.. Nvidia 100.., and of course the usual other free DRI drivers.
It is not possible for me, to check them all on my own of course :lol:

Download english:
ftp://ks301128.kimsufi.com/Muppy0084/Al ... l/english/

Download german:
ftp://ks301128.kimsufi.com/Muppy0084/Al ... l/deutsch/

Info with download concerning my cfwizard-patches:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 407#219407

TIPS:

- move the mouse to the upper left corner to get a overview of all virtual desktops.

- move the mouse to the upper right corner to get a window-overview of the current desktop.

- MIDDLE-click a free area in the desktop and move the mouse, to see the "the cube".

- Scroll your mousewheel over a free area on your desktop, to cycle through the desktops.

- The panel at bottom has 3 buttons on the left, to launch the Emerald-themer, the simple Compiz-setup, and the advanced Compiz-setup.

Screenshots:

The cube, full size:

http://noforum.de/pics/muppycompiz1.jpg

Desktop overview, full size:

http://noforum.de/pics/muppycompiz2.jpg

Mark

smooth

#30 Post by smooth »

I runned it , at two pc's : one with a nvidia 7200 , and one with a nvidia 6200 and at both , the borders disappeared .

I tried emerald --replace , didn't work :

# emerald --replace

(emerald:7436): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Everythig else went fine.

MU

#31 Post by MU »

smooth, I got the same error on my Ati 9250, when I used an older Muppy.

The reason was, that in /etc/profile there was set:
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1

Please type in a consolewindow "set" and look, if this line appears.
Maybe I oversaw it somewhere in the english version, as I just ran the german one myself.
Both are identical except some language and configurationfiles.

Oh yes, I was sure I had set that, but I did not:
Edit line 41 in:
/etc/profile

Code: Select all

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
To:

Code: Select all

###export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
I will rebuild and upload the fixed version, this will take around 2 hours.
Mark

MU

#32 Post by MU »

I updated the english Iso to fix the bug reported by smooth :)
Many thanks for telling me this issue,
Mark

MU

#33 Post by MU »

Version 08 uploaded, it is a bugfixed 07.

07 had a new feature, it warns you, if you have less than 100 MB free diskspace.
Different to the freemem-applet of Puppy, Muppys freemem works non-blocking.
This causes a 10 second delay, but avoids problems with unproper unmounted samba-shares.
The version in 07 was irritated by cpu intensive processes (Emerald, copying large files), it often gave wrong alarms.

further fixes:
- menu now does not use %U and similar entries in the .desktop files.
These are for example in OpenOffice:
Exec=openoffice.org3.0 -writer %U
Writer did not start, if it was run from the menu like this.
In the past, we used patched .desktop files, this is no longer needed.

- expose now should be killed if compiz runs.
It does not work in compiz, and is not needed.

- created a .sfs of OpenOffice 3 beta2:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32000
The final release shall come in september, so this will be what I use in Muppy 0084.

- added corrected Gtk-Themeselector.

So what remains:
- throw out redundant stuff out of gnome (compiz)
- translate the compiz-wizard (using .mo files)
- run it only, if dri drivers are available (addons.sfs for the beta)
- write the backup-script

Then I can release the first Beta.
Things for Beta:
- create a new KDE.sfs (remove updated files)
- maybe add a "Meta-themer", I already started one, but it still is very incomplete.

Mark

Jim1911

#34 Post by Jim1911 »

You did not use addons.sfs?
This is required by many Gnome applications, it includes Python and some dependencies.
The apps you mentioned should work then, like Epiphany or Evolution or even Blender.
I did have the addons.sfs selected. As for Openoffice 2.41. When I edited the 2.3 entries it worked OK.

Jim

MU

#35 Post by MU »

ok, I check that this weekend.
07 and 08 I tested without gnome, to get not confused by duplicate libs.
Now that compiz runs ok, I have to check everything together.
Thanks, Mark

Jim1911

#36 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

I have been trying to run the Gnome.sfe in Puppy 4 per your instructions but am having a problem getting it operational. You stated:
If you want to try the Gnome.sfs in Puppy 4:
it does not include Python 2.5/Pygtk, that is included in addons.sfs.
So you must add this yourself.
And it is important to run /etc/rc.d/autostart/installgnome-2.22.2
This will add some groups and users, and update icon/font-cache.
If you check then in a console, what dependencies miss, I could upload them already.
E.g. I slightly modified some slackware-packages like shadow-utils (required to work with busybox).
The full set of packages will come with the beta-version.
As I understand your instructions, selecting addons.sfs in Bootmanager will take care of Python 2.5. However, I do not know how to run "/etc/rc.d/autostart/installgnome-2.22.2 ". Does that line need to be added to some startup file. If so which one?

Thank you for all your hard work,
Jim
Incidently, I downloaded and installed your Openoffice 3 Beta2 sfs with your KDE 3.5.8 implementation running with Barry's 4.0.5 Alpha. It works great after adding launchers to the desktop. Thanks again.

MU

#37 Post by MU »

you can add it to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Or run it from a console, it must be run only once (it creates a checkfile to avoid that it runs more than once, /etc/gnome2.22.2installed).

Mark

Jim1911

#38 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

Still no success in getting gnome to run in Puppy 4. I followed these steps. (1) Started with pfix=ram to create a fresh save file (2) selected your addons and gnome sfs (3) rebooted (4) in console changed dir to /etc/rc.d/autostart, then typed "installgnome-2.22.2" received msg "bash: installgnome-2.22.2: command not found" (5) checked the autostart dir and found the installgnome-2.22.2 file is there, no idea as to why it won't execute (6) rebooted and then looked at /etc/rc.d/rc.local and found that the line "./etc/rc.d/rc.local.gnome" had been added, also checked and found that the file "/etc/gnome2.22.2installed" had not been created.

I also followed the above procedure with a fresh save file and added the "installgnome-2.22.2" command to rc.local, same results.

Any further instructions?
Thanks,
Jim

MU

#39 Post by MU »

(you can skip the blue text, it is just background-info).
one thing I recognized today:
the installscript must be run, before the daemons start (messagebus/hal/udev).
Because the installer creates groups that must be used by these daemons.
I edited /etc/rc.d/rc.local0 today, so that this script is executed now from the new folder /etc/init.d-sfsinstall , before the scripts in /etc/init.d are executed.

If this is not the case, Puppy must be rebooted after you ran the installer, and before you run Gnome.
If you don't reboot, the panel is empty, metacity has no window-buttons and more.

These autostart-folders are new in Muppy, Puppy just has /etc/init.d.
In my last Alpha, I used /etc/rc.d/autostart, because I was not aware of /etc/init.d.

However...
"/etc/rc.d/rc.local.gnome" - this is in the SFS, it is not created by the installscript.
The installscript will take the content of "/etc/rc.d/rc.local.gnome" , and add it to "rc.local".

So you should do this:
boot Puppy.
Exit X.
Type this:
cd /etc/rc.d/autostart
./installgnome-2.22.2

(note any errors you get)

Then hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot.
This will boot to JWM again, so exit it, and type:
xwin gnome-session

If you have luck, it starts now.
I not, look for errors:
mp /tmp/xerrs.txt

You should backup this log:
cp /tmp/xerrs.txt /root/xerrs-1.txt

Then run jwm again (xwin jwm), and attach it here.

Mark

Jim1911

#40 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

Still not able to get it started.

After typing ./installgnome-2.22.2 the errors were:
/usr/sbin/avahi-daemon: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-1.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D
/usr/sbin/avahi-daemon: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-1.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD DNS Server Configuration Daemon: /usr/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D

Hitting ctrl-alt-del and typing xwin gnome-session resulted only in a failure to start x. When I tried to start an error log it put me in a terminal and the only way out was a reboot which destroyed the tmp error log.

The following is my bootsysinit.log and xerrs.log, if that helps:
bootsysinit.log
Mounting devpts: Mounting /sys: Loading swap partition /dev/hdb5...
Starting /etc/rc.d/rc.modules...
loading modules for core usb...
loading modules for pci interfaces...
loading module intel-agp
loading module i2c-i801
loading module slamr
loading module snd-emu10k1x
loading module emu10k1-gp
loading module eepro100
loading module mxb
Fetching x dri modules (but not loading)...
Setting hostname: puppypc
loading extra usb modules...
Loading /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map
Starting sound driver: snd-emu10k1x done
cups: started scheduler.
error: mdm setup: cannot open dev `/dev/slamr0': No such device
error: cannot setup device `/dev/slamr0'
skip running setserial
Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D
Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD DNS Server Configuration Daemon: /usr/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D
The following interfaces have been found: eth0
Trying to connect
Trying to get IP address from DHCP server (60sec timeout)...
SUCCESS initializing interface eth0.!

xerrs.log
X Window System Version 1.3.0
Release Date: 19 April 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
Build Operating System: UNKNOWN
Current Operating System: Linux puppypc 2.6.21.7 #1 Sun Feb 24 10:22:08 GMT-8 2008 i686
Build Date: 28 November 2007
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Aug 4 19:41:32 2008
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
(II) Module already built-in
NTSC PAL
finished output detect: 0
finished output detect: 1
finished output detect: 2
finished all detect
before xf86InitialConfiguration
in RADEONProbeOutputModes
after xf86InitialConfiguration
Entering TV Save
Save TV timing tables
saveTimingTables: reading timing tables
TV Save done
init memmap
init common
init crtc1
init pll1
restore memmap
restore common
restore crtc1
restore pll1
finished PLL1
restore FP
enable montype: 3
disable montype: 3
(EE) RADEON: Failed to load module "theatre_detect" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) RADEON(0): Unable to load Rage Theatre detect module
enable montype: 3
usage: absvolume -bg is no longer supported, ignoring.
Try restarting X to pickup new gtk background colour.
/usr/X11R7/bin/jwm
asapm: open_apm_device_file: The file does not exist.
asapm: Neither ACPI nor APM are available!
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] [pid | job]... or kill -l [sigspec]
/usr/sbin/pmount: line 168: 6025 Terminated yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "Puppy Drive Mounter
Please wait, probing hardware..."
cat: /root/.pfind/pfindrc: No such file or directory
EXIT="Ready"
find: /usr/lib/firefox: Not a directory
EXIT="Ready"

Thank you for taking the time to help such an obvious newcomer to linux.
Jim