aspire one puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Ted Dog

#101 Post by Ted Dog »

I got my desktop to crash and expose a working ROX desktop below.
Rox should never be started, but where is it beening invocated ?? :(

I think effects are an event mismatch with two desktop environment clashing.

Code: Select all

rox -pin 
call would be the one to find.

nitrobanshee

#102 Post by nitrobanshee »

OK Im not shure if this will work or not but here is a screen shot. I did add apps to the dock but it was fine untill I closed the lid down. After this I opened the lid up and the screen flashed 3 times and still stayed black no matter what button I pushed. Ever since then the dock will not start. Hopefully the screen shot works. Thanks
Jeremy
Attachments
cairo-dock.png
(193.31 KiB) Downloaded 501 times

iscraigh

#103 Post by iscraigh »

Hmm no great idea, but I did have trouble with the wifi applet try going into the default theme and deleting the wifi applet and see what happens.

Craig

nitrobanshee

#104 Post by nitrobanshee »

I think that I got it. I removed the desktop switcher from cairo dock and all is good now.... thanks

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#105 Post by Béèm »

A friend gave me an Aspire One to look at.
I don't want to ruin his install of Linpus.

I have a full install of puppy on a pen drive which works ok on my Thinkpad R40, but when I try to go via F2 to the bios to see if the plugged in pen drive was seen, the system freezes. So apparently I can't boot from the pen drive.

I saw the special iso for the Aspire one, but didn't understand what to do with it. The PC doesn't have a CD. I could download it to some directory on the Aspire, but what to do next.

If a root password is needed, I don't have it.

I managed to start the xfce4 so I can use a console.

So how go from here?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

madscientist

aspiire one puppy

#106 Post by madscientist »

You don't need to do an F2. Just do an F12 after power button instead. From here you can choose the USB drive, If the USB drive boots on other machines with Puppy loaded on it then it will boot on the AAO. Be sure to remove the SD cards if they are installed. You can reinsert them after your booted up.

It is not necessary to install the new ISO you mentioned in order to boot from the USB drive.

Evil20071

#107 Post by Evil20071 »

Would like to propose an official name change to A1 Puppy. Tangy... .>.>
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: aspire one puppy

#108 Post by Béèm »

madscientist wrote:You don't need to do an F2. Just do an F12 after power button instead. From here you can choose the USB drive, If the USB drive boots on other machines with Puppy loaded on it then it will boot on the AAO. Be sure to remove the SD cards if they are installed. You can reinsert them after your booted up.

It is not necessary to install the new ISO you mentioned in order to boot from the USB drive.
Thanks.
The device is a AOA, so with 120GB HDD.
If I push F12 without the usb stick plugged, I get the boot selection list with the HDD and the network.

When I do the same with the usb stick plugged in, then the system freezes at 'entering the boot list'
All I can do then is push the BRS.

Same for F2 when I want to see if the USB stick is recognized.
When the usb stick isn't plugged in, in F2 I see empty entries for USB floppy, USB HDD and USB CD.

So this seems to be a dead end.
Time savers:

boscobearbank

Re: aspire one puppy

#109 Post by boscobearbank »

Béèm wrote:The device is a AOA, so with 120GB HDD.
If I push F12 without the usb stick plugged, I get the boot selection list with the HDD and the network.

When I do the same with the usb stick plugged in, then the system freezes at 'entering the boot list'
All I can do then is push the BRS.

Same for F2 when I want to see if the USB stick is recognized.
When the usb stick isn't plugged in, in F2 I see empty entries for USB floppy, USB HDD and USB CD.

So this seems to be a dead end.
Perhaps a BIOS problem? There seems to be a plethora of BIOS-related problems discussed on the Aspire One Forum (http://www.aspireoneuser.com). Also, do you see this problem with all three of the USB ports? With another USB stick? The reason I ask about another USB stick goes back to the time I purchased my first USB stick and tried to load Puppy on it; it turned out I needed to format it without a partition table, Zip Disk style, in order for my old laptop to see it and be able to boot it.
Bosco Bearbank

pembrokepuppy

Puppyone on Aspire 1249

#110 Post by pembrokepuppy »

Just wanted to say thx for all the hard work put into the aspire2 puppy, i just installed it and after a bit of tweaking it works very well. Main advantages I've noticed over Linpus:

Samba- preinstalled software support vice Smb4k
Multimedia- gxine vice the crap multimedia of Linpus
Speed- Slower boot, but much faster web surfing, and program loading, plus fewer crashes so far.
Packages- Pet packages actually install, compared to linpus blocking installation or errors with dependencies.

All in all good job, I look forward to upgrading as new releases come out.

Béèm

#111 Post by Béèm »

@boscobearbank.

Thanks

Problem occurs with all three usb ports.
Don't have an other stick to try.

If I put the stick after boot, I can explore it without problems. It is mounted as sdb1, but isn't seen by lsusb.

Another bluetooth stick is seen with lsusb

The stick is ext3 as it is a full install and boots ok on my Thinkpad R40.

Yes could be a bios problem, but as the machine isn't mine, I won't adventure in a bios upgrade. One never knows.

As for the acer-2-puppy-411.iso I don't see how I can use it.
I could transform the usb stick in a frugal install with the iso, but as it isn't recognized when put in a usb port, I feel I am stuck.
Time savers:

madscientist

SD Card?

#112 Post by madscientist »

OK, I'm running Puppy 410 from my usb drive. I have everything working from the drive except for Puppy allowing me to boot with the SD card installed. I did not install the ISO that Craig made, but rather tweaked everything individually from tips in the forum.

Does anyone know what the setting is that will allow me to boot with the SD card in the AAO?

Thanks!

iscraigh

#113 Post by iscraigh »

Mad scientist

My remaster will allow you to boot with a sd card inserted. I use mu's remaster with the newer kernel which is why it works for me.

You can replace the appropriate files on your stick with the ones from my remaster if this feature is important to you.

Craig

Jaycb

#114 Post by Jaycb »

That's good news Craig - having to remove the left-hand card at each boot is the only thing stopping me from fully installing this great distro on my "One".

madscientist

#115 Post by madscientist »

Great news...I'll download the ISO and copy over the appropriate files.

iscraigh

#116 Post by iscraigh »

just make sure you edit your grub.conf/syslinux.conf/extlinux.conf file so that the boot line has pci=noacpi otherwise lots of stuff won't work.

Craig

eztuxer

#117 Post by eztuxer »

I'm still using this first ISO http://www.humyo.com/F/6099101-249023577

And using it as a base for a Music oriented derivative "pupitup" soon to be released.

The only "bug" is that Xorg doesn't give keyboard country choice at install.
How can it be fixed ?
Last edited by eztuxer on Tue 23 Dec 2008, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

iscraigh

#118 Post by iscraigh »

That was my error on the first one. Not sure what the command is to run the keyboard wizard but if you can find it on the forum you could put it in the startup folder.

Craig

Alley

mbr

#119 Post by Alley »

beem, I'm booting the aspire one with a variety of usb drives and os's.
The first thing I'd check is, what option did you choose in the frugal install for the mbr? I chose SysLinux as it seems to work the most widely - try that one and see if it doesn't fix your problem.

You also may get better results with another usb stick - for example everything I'm booting from is USB 2.0, so I'm not sure if any of us has tested an older USB1.0 stick.

The other difference I see is that all of my usb drives are fat32, not ext. That shouldn't matter tho once you get to the mbr, which is where I suspect the problem lies.

nitrobanshee

#120 Post by nitrobanshee »

I need a update, This puppy found its home on my Aspire One.
Are you (iscraigh) Still working on this project? I love what has been done, I use it every day.

Thanks Jeremy