I don't want Puppy to auto save sessions to hard drive

Please post any bugs you have found
thegoldenstrand

I don't want Puppy to auto save sessions to hard drive

#1 Post by thegoldenstrand »

I like idea of faster boots, but one of the reasons I have liked Puppy and recommended it to others is the ability to not have anything from a session go to the hard drive or save file. This appears to have changed. If I shut down the PC without going through process or if I say no during save session process, crap gets saved including bad programs and other things I DO NOT WANT SAVED! I don't want this. Is this a bug or is it just something that is bugging the hell out of me?

Yes, I know I can cut and move files elsewhere and then unmount, but I am looking for something so that puppy programs ask if I want to save and actually means it rather than automatically saving.

If a bug, please fix it, if not, could someone tell me how to get Puppy 4.1.2 or whatever new version to stop doing this?

Mike

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Please clarify your situation:
- You are using a Puppy LiveCD? Frugal Install to hard disk? Full install? Frugal install to USB flash drive?
- Assuming you don't have a full install, do you actually want to not have a save file? Or do you want to have a save file, but choose when you shut down whether or not to save a session?
It saves them even when I say NO!
Say no to what? No, you don't want to create a save file; or no, you don't want to save a session?

If Puppy boots without loading a save file, he is meant to ask when you shut down whether you want to create one. In my experience a save file is never created if I choose no - does this not work for you?
If Puppy loads a save file from a hard disk at boot, this is mounted normally, so files are saved to it as soon as they are created or modified, so Puppy can't ask at shutdown whether you want to save a session, because there is no "session" - stuff was being saved straight to the save file to start with. It has always worked like this.
I believe if you run Puppy from a multisession CD/DVD, or use a save file on a USB flash drive, this is not mounted normally, so Puppy asks when you shut down whether you want to save a session. Are you in one of these situations, but he saves the session regardless of what you choose?
If you are not in one of these situations, but you want Puppy to behave like this, I think you can trick Puppy into thinking that you are in one of these situations. Is that what you want to do?
Or do you want to not have a save file at all?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

BTW You can also use the paramater pfix=ram to prevent Puppy from loading a save file at boot, and if he doesn't load it, he won't save anything to it...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

thegoldenstrand

I just have it set up to save file to hard drive

#4 Post by thegoldenstrand »

I don't have a live cd, I don't have puppy installed to the hard drive other than as part of program to save part of puppy to in order to save preferences and speed up boot.

i am looking to turn the autosave of current session feature off.

I am not looking for way to get back to just booting from cd and having to change everything, including installing pet packages every time I boot, like you appear to have suggested as solution in second post in jest i hope. LOL.

MIke

thegoldenstrand

I just have it set up to save file to hard drive

#5 Post by thegoldenstrand »

I don't have a live cd, I don't have puppy installed to the hard drive other than as part of program to save part of puppy to in order to save preferences and speed up boot.

i am looking to turn the autosave of current session feature off.

I am not looking for way to get back to just booting from cd and having to change everything, including installing pet packages every time I boot, like you appear to have suggested as solution in second post in jest i hope. LOL.

MIke

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

like you appear to have suggested as solution in second post in jest i hope. LOL.
You haven't provided a clear enough description of the problem for me to know what solution is required... so I provided any information that might have been useful.

OK, that's eliminated some of the possibilities for what you're actually meaning to ask.
Please clarify:
1) Are you booting from CD or a USB disk? You say you don't have a live CD, but I'm not absolutely certain that you don't have a live CD (just not a multisession CD).

2) What do you want to achieve?
A) Have a choice on shutdown to save a session or not.
B) Use existing settings etc, but never save a session.

3) Please confirm that Puppy is actually asking to save a session at shutdown. It sounds like you are saying he is, but it also sounds like he shouldn't be.
Unless Puppy is running from a flash drive, (or you have tried to trick him into thinking he is), it is a bug if he is :(

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

boscobearbank

#7 Post by boscobearbank »

disciple wrote:You haven't provided a clear enough description of the problem for me to know what solution is required... so I provided any information that might have been useful.
(
I have what I believe is a similar request; I'll try to make it as clear as possible. I will boot puppy from either a frugal install on my hard drive or from a USB stick. There is a pup_save file (either on the USB stick or on the hard drive; it doesn't matter) that I want loaded, so I tell Puppy to load it. What Puppy normally does is mount the pup_save file in a writable way such that any files I create or modify are automatically written to that pup_save file. What I really want is for the contents of that pup_save file, along with any new or modified files, to be placed in a writable ramdisk. Furthermore, I would like to be able, at my option, to save the contents of this ramdisk back to a pup_save file at any time.
Bosco Bearbank

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

Try this http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13430
I don't think the automatic save after 30 minutes happens these days, but I'm not sure.
It is possible that that is what thegoldenstrand is complaining about, but I really don't know.
What Puppy normally does is mount the pup_save file in a writable way such that any files I create or modify are automatically written to that pup_save file.
He shouldn't when your save file is on a USB stick... have you actually tried it? Maybe that is what thegoldenstrand is complaining about...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

thegoldenstrand

Thanks for efforts to help

#9 Post by thegoldenstrand »

My goal is to save only when I want to.

I understand now how to turn off auto save by going into system, puppy event manager and under save session change the setting from 30 for every 30 minutes to 0 as in Never.

What remains a goal is to still be able to save sometimes and for this I still need some help. I am currently not given the option to save to file on hard drive, it I use rewritable multi-session I have option to save to the cd, but my goal is to be able to save to a file on hard drive for faster boot ups, etc.. but only when I want to.

Still no progress here, but I am making an effort to learn.

Just to be mud clear, my interest has nothing to do with saving to the DVD or CD or flash drive. I am only interested in learning how to save or not save files to the hard drive. So far I have not tried to install puppy from a flash drive. I would be interested in how it makes a difference in saving files to the hard drive on your computer whether or not you install from a cd, dvd, or flash drive.

Should I be good to go by shutting off the default save every 30 minutes as far as making sure Puppy does not save if I don't want to or is there something else I need to change related to exiting puppy?

I don't know how to instruct puppy to set up or save to files on the hard drive when by default for whatever reason with various changes I may have made or because I did not have it save to file initially, I am not given option at shutdown to save to file to file. Please assume simple CD install for purposes of this discussion.

Mike

disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

I understand now how to turn off auto save by going into system, puppy event manager and under save session change the setting from 30 for every 30 minutes to 0 as in Never.
That only applies if you are running Puppy from a multisession CD or a USB flash drive. Otherwise things are saved straight away as soon as you do them.
You can probably (i.e. it used to work but I haven't seen recent reports) trick a frugal install or a LiveCD with save file into behaving like it is running from a USB flash drive, by following the link in my last post.
So far I have not tried to install puppy from a flash drive. I would be interested in how it makes a difference in saving files to the hard drive on your computer whether or not you install from a cd, dvd, or flash drive.
It doesn't matter what you install from. It matters what you run from (= what you install to).

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

jevmaks

Puppy Live CD booting on computer with frugal installed Pup

#11 Post by jevmaks »

Laptop HP compaq nx9020, Celeron 1.4, 512 Mb RAM. Frugal installed Lighthouse Puppy 412. Booting Live CD Gallipuppy 412. On booting it found and automatically without confirmation loaded .2fs file from hard disk and I got mess of two Puppies (background from one, icons from another, mixed menu with some dead items and so on). That mess was saved to hard disk also automatically. I have backup of my .2fs file and restore it but I want to test some other puplets from live CD and may be install additional Puppy in frugal mode to the same HD. In the Puppy Event Manager I can set saving mode but not loading. So my question:
Is it possible to avoid loading .2fs file on booting from Live CD?
Thanks

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

There is some agreement on this forum that the current versions of Puppy make a number of inappropriate assumptions during bootup.

In the meantime, your safest procedure is to launch a Live CD using the boot prompt

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
When you install Puppy, it's safest to put it in a subfolder and use a kernel argument like

Code: Select all

kernel /pup412/vmlinuz ...... psubdir=pup412

disciple

#13 Post by disciple »

You typically use pfix = ram to test a new version before "upgrading" your save file (either to see if you like it or to see if it works with all your hardware). If you create a second save file, puppy will ask you which one to use every time you boot up, so if you want a choice every time to use pfix=ram, you can just create a second save file... I wonder if you could trick it with an empty file that is named like a save file but actually isn't one :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nancy reagan

Even after I told event manager not to save, still does on p

#14 Post by nancy reagan »

"SAVING TO FILE" while I don't want to

Installed Choicepup 412 in superfloppy mode to usb.

First time yes I wanted to save to file because of new programs.

However every next closure it "saves to file" without asking y/n.

Meanwhile told the "event manager" no to save, but still.

How can I stop this unwanted saving ?

Unmounting before shutdown impossible, pull out ?

When running usb I never get any bootoptions ?

Why ?

disciple

#15 Post by disciple »

I suggest you post in a new thread.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER