Problems with Flash in FireFox and SeaMonkey

Please post any bugs you have found
LeightonW

Problems with Flash in FireFox and SeaMonkey

#1 Post by LeightonW »

Ok, I know Puppy Linux is still in development but I keep getting in a situation where the web browser keeps crashing and shuting down. I've noticed it's almost everytime I go on a site with Flash Animations.

If I start Firefox through Console I get an error when it close.
Flash Player: Warning: environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING is set and is not UTF-8
Flash Player: Warning: environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING is set and is not UTF-8
/opt/mozilla.org/lib/firefox-1.5.0.3/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 8027 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}
Can anyone help me. If there is a patch to correct this problem, could you give me the link...[/quote]

ttuuxxx

#2 Post by ttuuxxx »

The reason why is that your using an outdated firefox,
use one of mine
just install my firefox/flash pet
http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/progra ... irefox.pet

or my firefox/flash/java pet
http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/progra ... irefox.pet
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

fernan

#3 Post by fernan »

The same error happened to me running Seamonkey in Puppy 3.01 retro:

Seamonkey quits, and rxvt shows me the following errors:

/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.2/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 3256 Illegal instruction "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

THE SOLUTION FOR ME WAS TO DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FLASH PLAYER PLUGIN FROM ADOBE'S WEB SITE

Dingo

#4 Post by Dingo »

can you provide us a direct link?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

fernan

#5 Post by fernan »

I must say that my "solution" (update the flash player plugin) was only a partial solution. Some pages that gave me that error now are working OK, but the same error occurs with other pages.

I'm triyng now updating seamonkey to the latest version.

here is a link to flash 9

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/fl ... nux.tar.gz

I was searching the forum, and found that this same error happens to other people...
Fernan

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Try a Puppy version from the latest Dingo series. I am running Firefox 2.0.0.12 and have yet to see it crash on a Flash site.

Redbeard

Getting audio to work in Flash on Firefox or Seamonkey

#7 Post by Redbeard »

Hi,
I have Puppy 3.01 with Seamonkey, as well as Firefox. I downloaded the Flash 9.x player and installed it. I can see video without a problem, but I just can't get sound on anything on the web. If I run another app (not at the same time) I do have audio. (z.b. Duke Nukum, Gcompris).

Puppy is installed on my HD. Machine is ancient HP Pavilion tower, 128 MB RAM, Pentium II.

I saw some similar issues on Ubuntu user forums in a web search on the symptoms, but their solution (to modify a DSP string in a Firefox config file to point to alsa sound system) doesn't seem to apply, as I cannot find any files containing this string.

I set this pc up for my little ones, so they could play the games on their favorite sites. they're happy overall with the machine, but would like to have sound again for the web stuff.

Is this just an issue with not having correct libraries for flash to see my sound handler?

Any help would be appreciated.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Is this just an issue with not having correct libraries for flash to see my sound handler?
flash 9 player uses alsa so pehaps your sound may be using oss...flash 7 uses oss so you could try it to eliminate if this is the cause.

Also make sure nothing else is using sound at the same time.

mike
Machine is ancient HP Pavilion tower
we have a HP Kayak upstairs still going nicely :)

fernan

#9 Post by fernan »

hi,

Running puppy 3.01 retro.

I updated Seamonkey to the latest version from web-site, downloaded the latest flash player, and the problem persists: seamonkey quits in certain pages without any advice.

Is it an issue with puppy, or with linux in general?

I never had this problem in puppy 2.16 running Opera and flash 7.

I don't want to install Opera in my 3.01 ....

Thanks.

fernan

firepants-jr

linux + flash + browser = Adobe bug

#10 Post by firepants-jr »

fernan wrote:hi,

Running puppy 3.01 retro.

I updated Seamonkey to the latest version from web-site, downloaded the latest flash player, and the problem persists: seamonkey quits in certain pages without any advice.

Is it an issue with puppy, or with linux in general?

I never had this problem in puppy 2.16 running Opera and flash 7.

I don't want to install Opera in my 3.01 ....

Thanks.

fernan
I know this is an old thread, but the problem still persists. Adobe acknowledges that there's a bug when running Flash in a Linux environment. Don't have the link handy or I'd post it.

Just wanted to let everyone know that it's not the OS.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Every combination I have tried has come down to a flaw in the gtk/gobject libraries.
Flash 10 will eliminate the utf-8 complaint but doesn't seem to relate to instability.
The last version of firefox 1.5 ie 20 behaves well..I believe firepup is based on it.

Does puppy 4.21 have the gtk/gobject fixes that work in puppy 4.12?

Without a stable gui interface one is pi**ing in the internet wind :D

mike

mill0001

#12 Post by mill0001 »

Hi Guys,
I'm not sure if my problem is related to yours or not, but my FF crashes every time I try to view a video in fullcreen mode. I'm using FF 3.5 and flash 10. I found a possible solution to this here: http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/07/how ... os-in.html but I can't figure out how to do this in Puppy 4.21. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. BTW my Seamonkey using same Flash 10 works just fine. It's only firefox that is giving the problem.

Update: Hey guys I finally got Firefox to work in fullscreen mode on flash videos, I downloaded Flash Player 9.0 r242 from Adobe site and installed it and now FF3.5.2 is working great with it.
Last edited by mill0001 on Sun 09 Aug 2009, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Note this only affects certain cards...

If you have modified /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to use firefox try adding
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1
before the firefox command
You also would need the openGL libraries installed.
I guess its for video acceleration in flash..yer never know.
I have not experimented with 3.5 so have no input on this myself but there are reports of stable ff 3.5 packages floating around the forum if this doesn't help

mike

firepants-jr

Chug-chug, choke, gasp, /fail

#14 Post by firepants-jr »

mikeb wrote:Note this only affects certain cards...

If you have modified /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to use firefox try adding
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1
before the firefox command
You also would need the openGL libraries installed.
I guess its for video acceleration in flash..yer never know.
I have not experimented with 3.5 so have no input on this myself but there are reports of stable ff 3.5 packages floating around the forum if this doesn't help

mike
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

I'm using puppy 4.2.1 and FF 3.5.2 w/ SWF 10.0 r32. Those are the most recent versions of each, I think. Naively, I thought by upgrading my cpu -- from a 1.6ghz Celeron to a 2.8ghz P4 -- I could resolve some of the bottleneck I experience when navigating Flash-based sites. WRONGO! Exact same issue occurs. CPU usage spikes to 100% until I exit the offending page.

So, if what you said can somehow mitigate this problem, I'd really appreciate a n00b-style interpretation. I love Linux, but this Flash problem is a show-stopper for me. I'm ready to chuck it all and slink back to Windows like a whooped pup. :evil:

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

I love Linux, but this Flash problem is a show-stopper for me. I'm ready to chuck it all and slink back to Windows like a whooped pup.
Well by using linux you in the non-profitable minority.
Principles hurt don't they?

mike

ecomoney

#16 Post by ecomoney »

Freedom comes at a price you mean? Yes, and its still cheaper than a windows licience. :roll: 8)
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Freedom comes at a price you mean? Yes, and its still cheaper than a windows licience.
well the best in life always needs some effort :)

You are supposed to be eating ice cream on the beach.............

mike

xman

#18 Post by xman »

I think Flash is more stable now, but...

According Matthew Dempsky, Apple's Steve Jobs and Adobe's Kevin Lynch have different opinions about Flash stability. Dempsky reported a bug to Adobe in September 2008, and this bug has affected every release of Flash on every platform since then. Page http://flashcrash.dempsky.org/ exploits this bug. If you are opening this page from a browser using Adobe's Flash Player plug-in (i.e., if you see a blue rectangle below), it will probably crash within the next few seconds.

My test (4.31): Firefox 3.6 crashes :shock:, Chrome 4 reports errors in Flash :), and Opera 10.10 is stable :D.

ecomoney

#19 Post by ecomoney »

Wow...that worked...I had to totally restart X, then manually close firefox with Pprocess. Has this link been Dugg yet? I can feel revenge against adobe in my blood!
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

ecomoney

#20 Post by ecomoney »

Looks like Im too late!!!! The usual blatant denial by a proprietry software company...this time Adobe :roll:

I must confess, I can see where Apple are coming from with not supporting the buggy flash on the iPhone and iPad. Almost every time I have seen a browser crash on Linux its because of Adobe's "Lazy" programming...their linux version is even worse than the Windows version, but its been worse enough to drive a lot of my clients back into the sheep-fold.

I am glad companies like Mozilla and the Wikipedia foundation are promoting open video formats, hopefully between them and apple we can rid the web of this hopelessly inadequate player system, and "lazy" company.