HP Laserjet 1020 printer problem in Puppy Linux Solved

Using applications, configuring, problems
x_XP

HP Laserjet 1020 printer problem in Puppy Linux Solved

#1 Post by x_XP »

I am using Puppy 4.00 and 4.2 as a frugal HD-disk installation on two different laptops.
I want to use HP Laserjet 1020 printer connected with USB cable with Puppy Linux
I cannot get this printer to print under Puppy Linux.
I didn't get anywhere in puppy 4.00 and I managed to install HP1020. ppd driver under Puppy 4.2, but this printer still doesn't print.
It puts print jobs into active job queue with job status stopped while it showing that printer is idle .
I uninstall it and install it back again only to find out that now this printer is idle and all printing jobs despairing after being processed without actual printing.
I did try follow up instructions from www.foo2zjs.rkkda.com and some info from this forum regarding this printer with no success.
There is nothing wrong with this printer, it hardly been used.
This HP Laserjet 1020 install itself automatically and prints under Mepis Linux.
I just want to use up the toner and may be I will look for something else.

I hope that someone can help me to overcome this problem.
thanks Mike
Last edited by x_XP on Mon 28 Sep 2009, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

seeker

#2 Post by seeker »

The 1020 is partially supported by HPLIP available here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27519 I recommend the full HPLIP instead of the light version. It's a bit of work to install it all but worth it. More information http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... _1020.html This printer requires a downloadable driver plug-in. After HPLIP is installed open a terminal and type hp-setup to install the printer, and to download and install the plug-in.

Don't forget to back up your pup_save first.

x_XP

#3 Post by x_XP »

Thanks seeker
I've read most of HP1020 posts in this forum but messed this one.
I will read and apply
thanks Mike

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Dude, could you please elaborate on why you recommend the full HPLIP?
Is it because it tells you about ink levels or something?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

seeker

#5 Post by seeker »

It includes the device manager gui and hp utilities for installing HP printers and plugins, maintaining your printer(s) and managing print jobs. Align cartridges, clean cartridges, cups queue info, ink levels etc. etc. No messing around trying to find the right ppd and manually installing and configuring it either. It's everything that print managing should be in Linux, IMO.

Another nice thing it does for me: with my Puppy 4.12 cups (I assume it's cups) likes to wait 30 seconds or more before starting to print and the same between jobs, very annoying when trying to print lots of documents at work. I set up the printer refresh rate to 5 seconds with the HP Device Manager. Then when printing lots of docs I just start the device manager and it overrides the cups delay.

x_XP

#6 Post by x_XP »

well in puppy 4.0 and 4.2 I did uninstall previous added software i installed to try make this printer to go and install packages libnetsnmp-15.pet, hpliplite.3.9.2.pet I do not know how to download plugin from http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/p ... P/plugins/ in my case after clicking at the hp 1020 file in Index of /download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins it opens it in my bowser with gibberish in the screen.
so i downloaded and installed http://dotpups.de/puppy4/dotpups/Printi ... plugin.pet
now during adding printer in cups mo Hp printers are listed but not HP1020 so I am puzzled what am I doing wrong ?

seeker

#7 Post by seeker »

Well,
I do not know how to download plugin ...... I am puzzled what am I doing wrong ?
Right click on the link and choose "Save Link Target As". Re-read the install instructions http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27519 and follow them to the letter. If this doesn't work for you perhaps you should ask for help in the hpliplite thread.

x_XP

#8 Post by x_XP »

thanks seeker
this webpage instruction tells me only "helps to install the appropriate plugin, by typing install_hp_plugin in a rxvt terminal. "
and this is what I get:

# install hp_laserjet_1020.plugin
install: missing destination file operand after `hp_laserjet_1020.plugin'

for one I do not know where to put it or even how this command should look like ?
thanks Mike

Patriot

#9 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Just a quick browse through here .... and a quick post, hopefully a useful one ...

The hplip/hpijs driver is not the recommended driver for hp-LJ1020. Kindly refer to hplip hp-LJ1020 page again and take note of its recommendation status. The recommended driver for hp-LJ1020 (see openprinting) is still foo2zjs ... There are many foo2zjs pets floating around, so please try a recent one, perhaps this or this ...

For the uninitiated, the so-called downloadable plug-in is just a very nice way of HP of telling their customers that their printers needs a firmware upload on every power-up before it knows how to print (and this firmware is proprietary stuffs). This is what the foo2zjs driver set also implements for your hp-LJ1020 ...

Configuring CUPS with foo2zjs should be done through http://localhost:631 on your favourite browser (especially important on puppy 4.20 using cups-1.4b2) ... The suggested steps would be, install foo2zjs driver -> connect printer -> turn-it on -> configure cups -> test print -> continue printing -> enjoy some coffee .....

Rgds

lluamco

#10 Post by lluamco »

x_XP wrote:this webpage instruction tells me only "helps to install the appropriate plugin, by typing install_hp_plugin in a rxvt terminal. "
and this is what I get:

# install hp_laserjet_1020.plugin
install: missing destination file operand after `hp_laserjet_1020.plugin'

for one I do not know where to put it or even how this command should look like ?
thanks Mike
Please try:

1. Create these two directories first:

Code: Select all

mkdir /usr/share/hplip/prnt/plugins
mkdir /usr/share/hplip/data/firmware
and then execute

install_hp_plugin hp_laserjet_1020.plugin
I hope this helps, although I have no experience installing printers that require plugins.

x_XP

#11 Post by x_XP »

thanks lluamco
plugin installation didn't work for me, perhaps this picture will explain it better
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... tember.jpg

lluamco

#12 Post by lluamco »

x_XP wrote:thanks lluamco
plugin installation didn't work for me, perhaps this picture will explain it better
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... tember.jpg
Please notice that the correct code is

mkdir /usr/share/hplip/prnt/plugins
and not

mkdir /usr/share/hplip/print/plugins
Can you try again please?

x_XP

#13 Post by x_XP »

you right lluamco my typing error
Thanks for helping
I've been going for to long trying to make it go and I am a little tired now
ok plugin is installed
printer showed itself in cups and is installed, but doesn't print

print jobs go to jobs folder and after several seconds they disappear without printing.
it look like that it is not to far to make it work now
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... sept09.jpg
Mike

x_XP

#14 Post by x_XP »

Patriot

it is little to much for me for today i will start it over tomorrow
thanks for helping mike

x_XP

#15 Post by x_XP »

today I've installed as per above instructions on another puppy4.2 machine HP LJ1020 printer.
All went OK except it doesn't print.
Printer is now idle, it accept jobs, jobs are going the job folder status stopped
ans "lusriiib/cups/filter/foomatic-ripfailed message on the bottom
it didn't print test page yet.
Mike

x_XP

#16 Post by x_XP »

Finally after few days I got it to print.
What wrong with it?
Hotplug - hplj1000 file was somehow corrupted . I replaced it and bingo. All good.
Only difference when printing in puppy vs printing in windows is, that amber light on my HP LJ1020 printer doesn't lit up on data transfer and I don't care.

Thank you all for helping.

x_XP

#17 Post by x_XP »

I did rush to say it is all good.
When I powered off pc an the printer and restated them back after a while problem of not printing it is still there.
this is beyond me
Does hotplug need to be activated every boot ?

Patriot

#18 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
x_XP wrote: ..... Does hotplug need to be activated every boot ?
Yes, it does seems so ... As I mentioned earlier, the firmware needs to be uploaded to such a printer every time it is turned on (not on every pc boot) ...

I have taken a look at the foo2zjs scripts and a puppy specific modification will have to be made ... I'll see what can be done to automate this ...

Rgds

x_XP

HP Laserjet 1020 printing SOLVED

#19 Post by x_XP »

I got it finally to work thanks to help from Patriot and his treadhttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40225
It was very important to uninstall all previous versions of HP printer driver before installing this foo2xxx driver pet package from above link
Thanks Michael